Old Southside Pubs

Corstojohn

Speaking to some guys at work today we started discussing Pubs that used to be in The Southside. Three pubs in particular got me thinking The Pheonix,The Woolpack and one I think they were kidding me on about called Danty Lanis(sp!!). The first two I think I know off but cant think where the were but the third one I have never heard off and I lived in The Southside for over 20 years until I left in 1979. Can anyone help me out here?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• Brandt

• Tams bird

Boston Jambo

Danty Lanis(sp!!). Was somewhere around the top of the Pleasance. Dante was, shall we say, an Italian business man of noteriety around the Southside.

Thanks for the quick reply but I cant picture this place at all. I know its a long shot but has any one got any pics of this pub or know of a website I can try?

Abbey, The

Biblos

Blind Poet, The

Brass Monkey

Captains Bar

Centraal

Human Be-In, The

Kildares

Maltings, The

Meadow Bar, The

Oxygen Bar

Peartree The

Royal Oak

Southern Bar

Southsider, The

Swany's Lounge Bar

Thanks for the quick reply but I cant picture this place at all. I know its a long shot but has any one got any pics of this pub or know of a website I can try?

Danty Lanis was a cafe round the back of Surgeons hall in Bristo Street.. My mum used to go after church...

Say What Again

Abbey, The

Biblos

Blind Poet, The

Brass Monkey

Captains Bar

Centraal

Human Be-In, The

Kildares

Maltings, The

Meadow Bar, The

Oxygen Bar

Peartree The

Royal Oak

Southern Bar

Southsider, The

Swany's Lounge Bar

Been in all of those bar the red two.

The pub that Dante Lani had is now Lismore RFC's clubhouse at 192 the Pleasance. It was called the Rock.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

The pub that Dante Lani had is now Lismore RFC's clubhouse at 192 the Pleasance. It was called the Rock.

Was told it was further along near Brown Street.

My former father-in-law was friends with Dante Lani and my ex wife took me to his pub one night in the mid to late 70s and it was wher Lismore RFC is now. He may have had another pub that was demolished when the Southside was redeveloped but I have no idea whether this is correct. Dante was certainly a well known character in the area.

Dante Lanni's (sp) was in the Pleasance. I think it was on the corner of Brown Street but it was a fair time ago and it may have been slightly further south. First time I was there was in early 77 and it was demolished not long afterwards to make way for new houses.

The Woolpack I believe was around Marshall Street/Potterrow but was demolished early/MID 70's. The Pheonix sorry remember the name but memory is fading.

Edited by mugwump

The Woolpack I believe was around Marshall Street/Potterrow but was demolished early/MID 70's. The Pheonix sorry remember the name but memory is fading.

The Woolpack was the pub on Potterrow next to what is now the Central Mosque. Its still there and has had a few names since.

The Woolpack was the pub on Potterrow next to what is now the Central Mosque. Its still there and has had a few names since.

Thanks. I had it in the square where the Uni buildings are now. Memory is worse than I thought.

Does The Greenmantle (or Green Mantle) still exist?

Also one across from the Clerk St picture house (Odeon?)

Or are they not Southside enough?

Also The Grapes, The Ringers

Does The Greenmantle (or Green Mantle) still exist?

Also one across from the Clerk St picture house (Odeon?)

Yes and Yes.

The wool pack was demolished when the Southside was redeveloped. The Phoenix was in Hill Place.

Can you remember where exactly ? maybe my memory is better than I thought. On reflection I think the Woolpack Chester is talking about was built in the late 70's early 80's.

The Real Maroonblood

Is Central Mosque a real ale pub?

Yes The Wine Glass is still there. Drove past it this afternoon.

Unless you're in a time warp you drove past the pub the used to be called the wine glass. Or has it been taken over again and had it's name restored?

Is it an urban myth that loads of southside pubs were sh!tholes because that is far in to town you could get on a 2 stage bus fare from the outskirts?

Edited by DETTY29

The attached OS Map shows a pub on the corner of Salisbury Place and the Pleasance and another on the corner of Brown Street and the Pleasance. I think the Salisbury/Pleasance on must be the one I mentioned in an earlier post. Unfortunately I do nit know the name(s) of the one on the corner of Brown Street/Pleasance. Maybe our auld Southside "Bobby" Bob Sharp could help us with this one.

post-586-0-29033000-1380871750_thumb.jpg

The Real Maroonblood

The attached OS Map shows a pub on the corner of Salisbury Place and the Pleasance and another on the corner of Brown Street and the Pleasance. I think the Salisbury/Pleasance on must be the one I mentioned in an earlier post. Unfortunately I do nit know the name(s) of the one on the corner of Brown Street/Pleasance. Maybe our auld Southside "Bobby" Bob Sharp could help us with this one.

My Mum lived in Brown Street and she can only remember a dairy where the pub was so it might have been even before her time.

Post WW2.

As for the one at the corner of Salisbury Street I can vaguely recall a pub but not it's name.

Unless you're in a time warp you drove past the pub the used to be called the wine glass. Or has it been taken over again and had it's name restored?

Now called The Reverie, ran by the same guy as the french deli/cafe a few doors further down the street. Quite a decent pub now and the food is generally pretty decent!

Oh and the one opposite the old odeon is the McEwans Ale house!

Darci's/The Highlander now known as The Southside Steamie will always be my favourite Public House in the Southside of the City! Uncle Malcs pub.

Darci's/The Highlander now known as The Southside Steamie will always be my favourite Public House in the Southside of the City! Uncle Malcs pub.

Nice pub but for years they persisted as the only pub I knew to have blackthorn as their draft cider!

JamboInSouthsea

Is what is now The Dagda on Buccleuch Street, did it not used to be called Proctors?

And wasn't it smaller too...going back to 80's/90's?

Sure there was a tiny pub along that road which looked packed if there was 4 of you there.

Now called The Reverie, ran by the same guy as the french deli/cafe a few doors further down the street. Quite a decent pub now and the food is generally pretty decent!

Think hes Dutch. Doesnt own the coffee/deli place now. Apparently, some guy came in and robbed the place whilst holding a gun in the guys face. Sold it after that.

Think hes Dutch. Doesnt own the coffee/deli place now. Apparently, some guy came in and robbed the place whilst holding a gun in the guys face. Sold it after that.

Christ I've not seen Ed in ages, hadn't heard about that! Real shame as he's a really nice bloke and was always trying to improve the pub/deli!

Christ I've not seen Ed in ages, hadn't heard about that! Real shame as he's a really nice bloke and was always trying to improve the pub/deli!

As i said it apparently happened. But its not the kind of rumour someone makes up out of the blue so im sure there will be some truth in it.

If you see him, ask. Hopefully he just sold it normally.

Edited by Brandt

Old Gray Badger

No mention of the Gluepot, the Argylle, the Hall Bar or the Charles Tavern. Spent my student days in the area and would love to forward this thread to my contemporaries, but they are all deid.

No mention of the Gluepot, the Argylle, the Hall Bar or the Charles Tavern. Spent my student days in the area and would love to forward this thread to my contemporaries, but they are all deid.

Southside? Shome mishtake shurely?

That's the name! The McEwans Ale House spent many years up for sale did it not? Last I was in Edinburgh I'd heard it had finally sold, is that right?

That's the name! The McEwans Ale House spent many years up for sale did it not? Last I was in Edinburgh I'd heard it had finally sold, is that right?

It always seems for sale and to let.

The Real Maroonblood

Is what is now The Dagda on Buccleuch Street, did it not used to be called Proctors?

And wasn't it smaller too...going back to 80's/90's?

Sure there was a tiny pub along that road which looked packed if there was 4 of you there.

You are right about it being called Proctors.

It may actually get a new lease of life, as the Odeon is reopening shortly. :thumb:

Yeh, was great news. Many childhood memories at The Odeon.