Veganism

Gorgiewave

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each to his/her own. My daughter is a vegan and is bringing up my 2 year old grandson the same way. They are bright, healthy and happy. My daughter is not evangelical about it. Just her ethical choice.

Live and let live is my view. I would be extremely surprised if anyone could prove to me that vegans do any harm in the world. Tend to think the opposite is the case.

Not for me though. No more haggis!

Unthinkable.

And another thing, while we are far from rich (a bit better off than Vlad though), we only buy free range where we can.

Absolutely detest the people who make money via intensive farming.

Can't be bothered reading through all of this but my take on it is the following:

People can eat whatever they choose to so it really isn't any of my business. However do not impose it on your kids who are too young to make an informed decision and do not be a prick to other people about it. If you come to my house and complain about being a vegan then you will either eat what you are given or not eat. It's your choice.

Your choice to be a vegan makes absolutely zero difference to animals or the process of killing animals around the world. I can understand if it made you feel better for yourself though.

We were designed to hunt and eat meat as are thousands of other species around the world, it's how nature works.

Personally my life would feel incomplete without meat in most of my meals.

Creepy Lurker

Can't be bothered reading through all of this but my take on it is the following:

People can eat whatever they choose to so it really isn't any of my business. However do not impose it on your kids who are too young to make an informed decision and do not be a prick to other people about it. If you come to my house and complain about being a vegan then you will either eat what you are given or not eat. It's your choice.

Your choice to be a vegan makes absolutely zero difference to animals or the process of killing animals around the world. I can understand if it made you feel better for yourself though.

We were designed to hunt and eat meat as are thousands of other species around the world, it's how nature works.

Personally my life would feel incomplete without meat in most of my meals.

Not making provisions for guests just strikes me as horrendously rude. Are you religious, by the way?

Not making provisions for guests just strikes me as horrendously rude. Are you religious, by the way?

No I'm not. If I went into a muslim building then I would take my shoes off out of respect, just like I would wipe my feet at my mothers but not mines. I would eat a vegan meal at a vegans house, would not expect him to make meat.

If somebody was allergic however then for me that is a different story.

The People's Chimp

With mozzarella, black pepper and balsamic vinegar / olive oil.

In a sandwich.

In a salad.

It doesn't matter. It's magic.

Tommy trying hard to bolster his chattering class credentials and confirm his position as Kickback's most middle class poster.

Creepy Lurker

No I'm not. If I went into a muslim building then I would take my shoes off out of respect, just like I would wipe my feet at my mothers but not mines. I would eat a vegan meal at a vegans house, would not expect him to make meat.

If somebody was allergic however then for me that is a different story.

You missed my point. You talked about what we were 'designed'to do. That only works if we were designed, which we weren't.

Are you really saying that a vegan in your house would have to eat meat or not eat?

Try sprouting your chickpeas & lentils... Add great crunch & nutrients....

Microwave.... You would get more nutrients from a big mac.... If you have time google the effects on broccoli ( good wee picture)

Aspartame ... Diet coke... Again the full fat would be better if you have to indulge.

Each to their own tho...

Rule of thumb "if your food can go bad... It is good for you.... & vice versa" ;-)

You missed my point. You talked about what we were 'designed'to do. That only works if we were designed, which we weren't.

Are you really saying that a vegan in your house would have to eat meat or not eat?

Ok then evolved/adapted. They can eat the veg that I served with the meat or they can have a cucumber sandwich. I wouldn't rustle up a vegan meal for everybody or one person no. I wouldn't insist on buying halal if the person was muslim either. I would obviously eat it if I was at theirs. When in Rome and all that, it's a personal choice, not everybody is going to be the same. Obviously I'm not a very accommodating person!

Creepy Lurker

Microwave.... You would get more nutrients from a big mac.... If you have time google the effects on broccoli ( good wee picture)

Aspartame ... Diet coke... Again the full fat would be better if you have to indulge.

Each to their own tho...

Rule of thumb "if your food can go bad... It is good for you.... & vice versa" ;-)

The microwave is actually one of the most effective cooking methods at retaining micronutrients and the only proper evidence against aspartame comes from studies on rats being fed twice their own bodyweight in it on a daily basis.

Creepy Lurker

Ok then evolved/adapted. They can eat the veg that I served with the meat or they can have a cucumber sandwich. I wouldn't rustle up a vegan meal for everybody or one person no. I wouldn't insist on buying halal if the person was muslim either. I would obviously eat it if I was at theirs. When in Rome and all that, it's a personal choice, not everybody is going to be the same. Obviously I'm not a very accommodating person!

Obviously not.

They have an ethical objection to eating meat, but you have none to eating meals without it...just seems rude. If I had a guest I'd make an effort to accommodate them, and if it was that much of a hassle (which it isn't) I wouldn't have guests.

If we are talking about ethics, do vegans realise that some people don't have that choice to make? I find it more rude of somebody turning up and somebody's house for a free meal and then being fussy about what they want. You get what you are given and be grateful.

I would see the irony of a vegan being eaten by a tiger morbidly amusing...

Lancashire_Lou

I wouldn't know where to start if I was a vegetarian nevermind a vegan. I plan every meal around the meat!

Each to their own tho...

This post is full of nonsense.

This post is full of nonsense.

I was farly sure the "sciencey" bits were nonsense, but i struggle to follow this

So, vice versa means that "if your food can go good...it's bad for you".

Eh, right. Nevermind the fact that the only food that doesnt go off, afaik, is honey.

Snake Plissken

Each to their own tho...

:lol:

I do love... nutritional advice...

from the experts.

BoJack Horseman

Obviously not.

They have an ethical objection to eating meat, but you have none to eating meals without it...just seems rude. If I had a guest I'd make an effort to accommodate them, and if it was that much of a hassle (which it isn't) I wouldn't have guests.

Easiest thing here is to just not be friends with vegans. Cretins.

IMO microwaves lend nothing to food and deplete nutrients... Also aspartame is thought to be pretty bad...

The rule of thumb is just that ... A snippet.... The opposite being, that if it can be stored in a cupboard, it shall contain preservatives and be less beneficial as a food choice...

For the record I never claimed to be an expert....

Creepy Lurker

If we are talking about ethics, do vegans realise that some people don't have that choice to make? I find it more rude of somebody turning up and somebody's house for a free meal and then being fussy about what they want. You get what you are given and be grateful.

I would see the irony of a vegan being eaten by a tiger morbidly amusing...

When the **** would anyone turn up expecting a free meal? I was assuming that we were talking about people who'd been invited.

So what if some people don't have the option of eating meat? That's completely irrelevant.

Snake Plissken

I think that... your post tells us a fair bit about how much ....

knowledge ... you ... possess ...

... if it can be stored in a cupboard it's bad :lol: ... that's a good one ...

perhaps ... we should ... heed this .... wisdom

I think that... your post tells us a fair bit about how much ....

knowledge ... you ... possess ...

... if it can be stored in a cupboard it's bad :lol: ... that's a good one ...

perhaps ... we should ... heed this .... wisdom

Indeed. Rice, pasta and lentils must be horrendous as they last forever.

Creepy Lurker

IMO microwaves lend nothing to food and deplete nutrients... Also aspartame is thought to be pretty bad...

The rule of thumb is just that ... A snippet.... The opposite being, that if it can be stored in a cupboard, it shall contain preservatives and be less beneficial as a food choice...

For the record I never claimed to be an expert....

Nutrients are mostly depleted by being cooked for long times at high temperatures. Microwaving is very quick, hence it usually depletes less nutrients.

By whom is aspartame 'thought to be bad'? There's no conclusive evidence against it beyond correlational data and rat studies with flawed methodology. I'd encourage moderation with it - it offers no benefit and may be harmful - but suggesting that having sugar instead is somehow better for you is ridiculous

Making assumptions on the knowledge I possess? A wee tad harsh. Next time I reply, I shall ensure I have sufficient time to make sure everything is grammatically correct before I submit. Please enlighten me to the referencing style you require. :-)

BoJack Horseman

Nutrients are mostly depleted by being cooked for long times at high temperatures. Microwaving is very quick, hence it usually depletes less nutrients.

By whom is aspartame 'thought to be bad'? There's no conclusive evidence against it beyond correlational data and rat studies with flawed methodology. I'd encourage moderation with it - it offers no benefit and may be harmful - but suggesting that having sugar instead is somehow better for you is ridiculous

Women. Mostly young mothers.

Alba gu Brath

Each to his/her own. My daughter is a vegan and is bringing up my 2 year old grandson the same way. They are bright, healthy and happy. My daughter is not evangelical about it. Just her ethical choice.

Live and let live is my view. I would be extremely surprised if anyone could prove to me that vegans do any harm in the world. Tend to think the opposite is the case.

Not for me though. No more haggis!

Unthinkable.

Veggie haggis is great. Know a few carnivores who prefer it.

Respect to vegans, I couldn't do it but it makes sense to consider what you eat. I don't find them any more evangelical than lads talking about their last pissup or last shag.

Maybe the first time I can sympathise with one of Gorgiewave's posts.

Archived