tour de france 2013

Boomstick

Just like Wiggins had Froome to thank for his Maillot Jaune last year

Totally. I just hadn't realised quite how much of a team sport cycling was until the Olympics last year. I knew there were teams, but I didn't understand the way they worked. I always just assumed that each individual within the team was out to do the best for themselves.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wiggins was carried round by his top team last year, Froome winning stages with some EPIC riding and stamina that Wiggins doesn't have in his locker.

Wiggins not riding as he was told that Froome would be the priority ... then fakes and injury. He'd have to do the work on the climbs a he knows he'd be found out.

I'm not a fan of Wiggins at all.

Wiggins is a superb Time Trialist. He destroyed everyone inthe timetrials last year then relied on his team to help him in the mountains and preserve his lead.

Froome is a good climber and an OK time trialist. He's had to win it the hard way, attacking in the mountains then mainting the gap in the time trials.

IF Froome makes to Paris in yellow then it will be even more of a team effort than it was last year.

The People's Chimp

Wiggins is a superb Time Trialist. He destroyed everyone inthe timetrials last year then relied on his team to help him in the mountains and preserve his lead.

Froome is a good climber and an OK time trialist. He's had to win it the hard way, attacking in the mountains then mainting the gap in the time trials.

IF Froome makes to Paris in yellow then it will be even more of a team effort than it was last year.

Not sure about that, given the team has been obliterated this tour.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Not sure about that, given the team has been obliterated this tour.

Not sure obliterated would be the right term, they've had various riders pace and then drop off to let another pace and it seems to have worked, however - you're right in the sense that other teams appear to have stronger overall riders - Movistar for example always seem to have 2 or 3 riders toward the end of each stage , whereas Sky have either Froome on his own or Froome being protected by Porte.

Sky have lost riders because they've ridden themselves into the ground for the team.

They have been happy to just smother most attacks from other teams and lead a decent pace. They've not really gone out on an attack themselves at all.

Very enjoyable tour this year. Lots to enjoy alongisde Froome's excellent win.

Quintana is so impressive and I love riders like Sagan who enjoy themselves so much. Also good to see old man Jens leading for a bit at the ripe age of 42!

As I said at the start of the thread I had an irrational dislike for Froome pre Tour but must admit he's been very impressive/aggressive and ridden like a champion at times even without his team. Armstrongesque at times, (Dunno if that's a good thing). Fair play, deserved win. Quintana looks very promising and Porte too. Roll on 2014.

Craig Gordons Gloves

:pleasing:

That's brilliant! Is it just me or has there been an increase in dickheads on the mountain stages this year? Who in their right mind dresses up in a pink vest, luminous green leggings and runs alongside cyclists. Fud got what he deserved.

Will be sad when it all ends, really enjoyed the 3 hour 'highlights' show on NBCSN every night.

Refreshment Barrier

Been another great tour, froome thoroughly deserved and fitting to see 1 2 3 finishing 1 2 3

Looking forward to the evening finish in paris tomorrow

That's brilliant! Is it just me or has there been an increase in dickheads on the mountain stages this year? Who in their right mind dresses up in a pink vest, luminous green leggings and runs alongside cyclists. Fud got what he deserved.

Will be sad when it all ends, really enjoyed the 3 hour 'highlights' show on NBCSN every night.

Nope, there appear to be far more clowns (parrots, beloved cartoon characters) at the tour than before. I hope the increase in the number of fans from these islands is not the reason. But, surely if you are a fan of cycling, the last thing you would do is to run beside the riders, pat them or throw water (or urine) at them.

Well thats it for another year.

Well done to Froome. no-one came close.

I think they need to make points for intermediate sprints less. Sagan is a great rider but hardly the best sprinter.

The light show on the Arc was superb. :thumbsup:

Archived