Buffalo Bill?s book: ?Two Miles to Tynecastle?

Guest GhostHunter

japanjambo
glad the old fag is gone could sing ****all:evilno:

You have to be joking! One of, if not *the* best singer of the 20th century!

Rock on Freddie!

Lynn:ninja:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's me splashed out a few quid that would doubtless have been better spent on IPA in Diggers.

However like the IPA I have sampled a few chapters of the book and it is money well spent.

Mind you that Towzers a bad lot! :eek:

portobellojambo1
My copy arrived today. Must get BB to autograph it. :)

Just out of interest dave when did you place your order (just so I can get an idea of delivery times). I ordered my copy on line eventually 5 May 2008 (tried doing it weeks back when I got a link to Apex from BB but I failed miserably on that occasion) and would be interested to know how long it takes the process from order being placed to delivery of the product happening.

davemclaren
Just out of interest dave when did you place your order (just so I can get an idea of delivery times). I ordered my copy on line eventually 5 May 2008 (tried doing it weeks back when I got a link to Apex from BB but I failed miserably on that occasion) and would be interested to know how long it takes the process from order being placed to delivery of the product happening.

Must have been Monday or Tuesday night as I was away on business Wed to Fri.

My copy arrived yesterday abot 2 days after I ordered it. I'm about 3/4's of the way through it. Really enjoying it so far.

ArmiyaRomanova

Ordered 5th, delivered 12th.

Pretty good going.

And thanks for the shout, Andrew!

I ordered mine on May 6th and Amazon is telling me the delivery estimate isnt until between August 1st and 5th. Bit of a while away considering people are already receiving theirs now!

The Old Tolbooth

I hope you weren't too worse for wear on Saturday night to remember our conversation BB ;)

I ordered mine on May 6th and Amazon is telling me the delivery estimate isnt until between August 1st and 5th. Bit of a while away considering people are already receiving theirs now!

I ordered it direct from the publisher. A little bit more expensive but Andy needs the cash for his bar bill.

Buffalo Bill
I ordered it direct from the publisher. A little bit more expensive but Andy needs the cash for his bar bill.

People who order direct from Apex Publishing will receive the book within a couple of days.

http://www.apexpublishing.co.uk/PubDetails.asp?Num=153

If anyone has read it, please feel free to put a small review here.

I will buy you a pint in the Diggers if it is favourable!*

*Except Stairboy.

Buffalo Bill

yvonnejambo

My copy was wailting when I got back from my weekend in Edinburgh tonight. Will have a read tonight, looks good though and good delivery service.

Buffalo Bill

I've just been told that Waterstones in Princes Street (dunno what one) will have some copies this week because the publisher has just instructed me to get my ass in there to find them and sign them!

Buffalo Bill

Does it contain the Livi drum/kebab anecdote?

If not, I'm afraid I can't commit to purchasing it.

:)

Buffalo Bill
Does it contain the Livi drum/kebab anecdote?

If not, I'm afraid I can't commit to purchasing it.

Christ, how do you remember that?!

Incredibly, that was my first ever post on Kickback!

Bloody hell, I hated that fat bas****.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

I have a good memory for certain things!

Even the revered and sadly missed David Gillespie was moved to comment on that post.

Buffalo Bill
So when they say the release date is 01/08/08....is that just to give enough time to plan a right old knees-up?

I have this thing where I want to actually buy it from a shop, but I think by August everyone and their Gran will have got stuck in to your 'Summer Smash Hit'!

I was originally told Oct 2008(!!) but I got it changed to August, thinking that August meant August.

The 'launch' is still Aug 1st. Very strange that it's now out and about but I'm not complaining.

I'll report back from Waterstones on Thursday and see what the crack is.

Buffalo Bill

Order placed on 21st January, delivery date 1st August. Bugger this.

I'm going to have to read someone else's in the meantime...or buy two...:laugh:

I suppose I'm one of the very few people who have actually read the book already.

I absolutely battered through it in a day and a half...it's a real page turner.

Some of the tales in it are hysterical, the disastrous break dance routine being a personal favorite, while a lot of the book is genuinely moving.

The Hearts stuff is also great and had me misty eyed remembering some classic games.

I can guarantee people wont be disappointed with this book and I hereby award it the Sexington seal of quality.*

*Can I have my ?5 now Andy? ;)

Can't really add much to this. Like Chad I finished the book in a couple of days. Really enjoyable read and the pictures are easy to colour in;)

My personal highlight was the penalty!

Adi Dassler

Ordered it earlier on today.

As a born and bred West Edinburgh boy i'm very much looking forward to reading it.

The Old Tolbooth
I hope you weren't too worse for wear on Saturday night to remember our conversation BB ;)

Aherm :whistling:

Jimmy McNulty

I'll wait for it to come on ebay or flogged in bargain bin :)

Seriously though, its real tough to get football books here in North America....

May have to wait until I am home next.

The Old Tolbooth
What did I say? :confused:

Buffalo Bill

You said that you used me as inspiration for your new book (along with others) and that you would sign it and write that I was an inspiration to you when writing the book :)

The evils of drink eh? ;)

portobellojambo1
You said that you used me as inspiration for your new book (along with others) and that you would sign it and write that I was an inspiration to you when writing the book :)

The evils of drink eh? ;)

I think by that John he meant he had two choices, either sit in the pub with you and drink, or spend over a year sitting in a cupboard writing a book, and it appears option 2 won. ;)

The Old Tolbooth
I think by that John he meant he had two choices, either sit in the pub with you and drink, or spend over a year sitting in a cupboard writing a book, and it appears option 2 won. ;)

Ha ha probably mate, I'm guessing that the evils of drink mean that my promised free copy will have to be ordered now too :confused:

Buffalo Bill

There is some truth in what I said to John, but he's worded that as if Jim fixed it for me to write about him!

5FD7B4C0F8A4C17D415677463C2DB9.jpg

What I really said was that there were certain people 'in my head' that I could see buying it (my market) at the time when I wrote it and for some reason, John was one of those people!! So was you, PJ.

Yes, I was drunk.

Buffalo Bill

The Old Tolbooth
There is some truth in what I said to John, but he's worded that as if Jim fixed it for me to write about him!

5FD7B4C0F8A4C17D415677463C2DB9.jpg

What I really said was that there were certain people 'in my head' that I could see buying it (my market) at the time when I wrote it and for some reason, John was one of those people!! So was you, PJ.

Yes, I was drunk.

Buffalo Bill

I must admit, I was a bit worried when you started hugging me and calling me brother, it was funny though :P

Deans Jambo

Buffalo Bill

Lol, that "fat bas****" stays in my street and drinks in my local. Goes by the name Diesel. My mate wanted to stave his head in once just cause he was the Livy drummer and that somehow annoyed him!

You'll by glad to know he has ditched Livy (and his drum) to follow Shotts Bon Accord! I kid you not.

Deans Jambo

OK ? my copy of the book arrived a couple of days ago, and I want to share some initial thoughts.

I should say a couple of things at the outset, firstly, I do not know Buffalo Bill (never had the good fortune to meet him) and secondly I have a miserable record for finishing books, and I mean a **** record ? I seldom read a book to a finish, It?s one of my many major failings, I?ll tell you what though, I?ll stick with this one, it?s tremendous...

So - to BB?s book - my thoughts so far. I?ve read 20 chapters, so not yet half way through it, however, it was clear from the ?preface? that this is a book that I was going to enjoy reading, and the chapters that have followed have simply consolidated that view.

I?m around 13 years older than BB, that?s nothing when you?re an adult, however, it does mean that I was an adult during most of what BB has written about his childhood in the first 20 chapters, and I have to say that there is so much in it that I recognise and can relate to. Not just the Hearts stuff which is a given, but growing up in a scheme, the journey through school and the adventures away from school, although I?d have to say (with respect) that BB?s family were a little more wild than my own.

I particularly enjoyed reading about the field at Saughton Mains Bank ?just a jaggy shaped patch of grass in a working class estate? which provided such happy times despite the grumpy old people who waged war on the kids for years. I recognised this from my own childhood; a different piece of grass in a different working class scheme, but identical in terms of the fun it provided and the adults who used to deny us the chance to play there.

The break dancing story in 1st year, pontious pilot, commonwealth games audition, and ?Mrs Bowie?s little boy? had me laughing out loud, but for me it is the emotional descriptions about the Hearts that brings the book to life for me. My wife has warned me not to ?spoil it? for people who may not yet have read the book by posting quotes etc, but what I will say is that even now I cannot read about 86 without becoming emotional, I always fill up, and I was 26 years old when Albert Kidd crushed me.

Buffalo Bill ? I cant tell you how much I?m enjoying this book; when I finish it (and I will) it will be one of the few books that I?ve read to a finish, that?s how good it is.

Thanks

J

scots civil war

feel free to start calling yourself,ego,then

you have our blessing,go on

you know it makes sense

feel free to start calling yourself,ego,then

you have our blessing,go on

you know it makes sense

Ooooooo whos a wee jealous pooches then?:P

davemclaren
There is, thankfully, a big difference between stating the blatantly obvious and stating the blatantly ridiculous. I know which I prefer.

RoaldJensen

I have met the celebrated author on one occasion and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I would not like to meet some of his detractors.

From the reveiws I have read here I will definately buy this book when Im back in Scotland soon.

Two reasons for this are

1. I like to read about the Hearts.

2. I find I respect the guy who wrote it.

I'm zipping my through it just now and I am finding it a compelling read. And more to the point brutally honest about the authors life and family.

And as for the wannabe working class jibe, never a more nonsensical comment on someone's life without prior knowledge.

Charlie-Brown

Congrats on the book launch BB - as a follow up and on a similar theme I'd really like to see another JKB contributor davyn / VeraNT eventually get round to writing his Hearts / Gorgie novel........It already has a working Title:

Between the 2 Bridges: My early life at the Centre of the Universe and the home of Hearts.

Many of his posts on this forum have already provided plenty source material.:)

Congratulations BB. I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm sure it will bring back many memories and reading between the lines, even though I'm a tad older, I have a feeling that we have travelled the same road at times:eek:;)

shaun.lawson

I ordered it on Amazon, so will have to wait til August to get my evil mitts on it! I'm really looking forward to it though: I had a small run-in with BB on here just over a year ago, but was very harsh, and have thought better of it since. Many of his posts are interesting; and everything he says has his passion for HMFC right at the very core.

Good luck with it, Andrew - and I'll let you know what I think when I've finished reading.

boabyarsebiscuit
I ordered it on Amazon, so will have to wait til August to get my evil mitts on it! I'm really looking forward to it though: I had a small run-in with BB on here just over a year ago, but was very harsh, and have thought better of it since. Many of his posts are interesting; and everything he says has his passion for HMFC right at the very core.

Good luck with it, Andrew - and I'll let you know what I think when I've finished reading.

That's me and you boosted BB's amazon sales ranking a few hundred thousand places!

Buffalo Bill
That's me and you boosted BB's amazon sales ranking a few hundred thousand places!

Cheers Boaby, and the money that I earn form this book will pay for my hair transplant operation, so I can look just like my new mate, Elton John.

elton.7.jpg

Elton's the one on the right folks.

Buffalo Bill

Sooking up to celebs,tut tut tut.

BB, with the ?millions you are clearly going to make from this book, will you have enough capital to buy out Vlad :dribble: ?

If so, i'll buy two ;)

Archived