Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Lord Montpelier
4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

It might or it might not, but either way by the time the next election comes around the SNP will have been in office for 18 years, and I don't think any party in any democracy can do that without going stale.  We've an election coming up here in the next few months, and one party has been in office now for more than 13 years, and they're all out of ideas. 

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago about what should or would replace the SNP given the kind of results you're likely to see next year.  The question got more or less no takers.  Given the choice between offering a view of how an alternative to SNP administration should be devised, and ripping the piss out of each other, the Shed clearly knew which option it preferred. :laugh:

Right now you could replace the snp with the monster raving loony party and most people would see that as a more sensible, stable option.

manaliveits105
Just now, Lord Montpelier said:

Right now you could replace the snp with the monster raving loony party and most people would see that as a more sensible, stable option.

Fair comment 

Lord Montpelier

Wonder what Mrs Murrell is up to today ?

Did she speak to Magpie Pete last night ?

Can we expect a statement?

9 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I'd be amazed tbh. That was it, the killer blow. Everything from here on in will link the SNP with "embezzlement". It's over. 

Japan Jambo

It'll be interesting to hear how they spin this to be the toaries fault.

manaliveits105
13 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Did he go home to his wife or partner ?

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Any embezzlement or fraud and he/she/they should be done for it, but also even if she isn't implicated she's kinda screwed anyway.  Caesar's wife, so to speak.

Yep. And I'd find it hard to believe she didn't know. 

Jim_Duncan
16 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Yep. And I'd find it hard to believe she didn't know. 

She may or may not have know. The problem now is that she can't recall 🫤

frankblack
47 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

She may or may not have know. The problem now is that she can't recall 🫤

I'm sure her WhatsApp messages could help jog her memory. 🤔

frankblack
1 hour ago, pablo said:

I'd be amazed tbh. That was it, the killer blow. Everything from here on in will link the SNP with "embezzlement". It's over. 

Do they not have to publish audited accounts by a certain time or winding up proceedings are started on them?

Ulysses
2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

I don't think any of the polling companies have ever asked that question.

Given the realistic options, what's your choice?

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Fair comment 

And what's yours?

The Mighty Thor

Busy night for the flag shaggers 😂

If Murrell is guilty of embezzlement then he deserves the full force of the law as does anyone else involved in shenanegans.

Hopefully (Absolutley zero chance) this is the dawn of an era in politics where illegality is met with real world consequences and anyone, regardless of party, feels the full force of the law.

Right i'll leave you halfwits to tug each other into a frenzy 👍

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Busy night for the flag shaggers 😂

If Murrell is guilty of embezzlement then he deserves the full force of the law as does anyone else involved in shenanegans.

Hopefully (Absolutley zero chance) this is the dawn of an era in politics where illegality is met with real world consequences and anyone, regardless of party, feels the full force of the law.

Right i'll leave you halfwits to tug each other into a frenzy 👍

Only a busy night for 50% of the flag shaggers. The other half were conspicuous by their absence. 

BlueRiver
3 minutes ago, pablo said:

Only a busy night for 50% of the flag shaggers. The other half were conspicuous by their absence. 

Crying into their Sturgeon blow-up dolls wrapped in a saltire I hear. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

She’s suspiciously quiet . ! 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, pablo said:

Check the salty tears from him ! 😂 

JudyJudyJudy

I await “ it’s only £600,000 the toaries stole / lost billions “ ! Like 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Thoughts with The National, which will have to plug its site with deflective features about haggis for the next 12 months.

Noticed it’s already playing the ‘be wary of contempt of court card’ in desperation 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Thoughts with The National, which will have to plug its site with deflective features about haggis for the next 12 months.

Noticed it’s already playing the ‘be wary of contempt of court card’ in desperation 

lol yes I saw that ! 

Dirty Deeds

Your up early want some toast ? ::troll::

IMG_5531.jpeg

It's what's inside that counts

Screenshot_2024-04-19-09-52-51-63_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Lord Montpelier
30 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I don't think any of the polling companies have ever asked that question.

Given the realistic options, what's your choice?

And what's yours?

Right now I'd vote Labour. Fresh start etc etc. But if I was doorstepped by a prospective MSP I'd have a few questions for them along the lines of making sure they are focusing on things that matter to people and not some of the things the SNP / Greens have come out with. Would also be keen to hear about how they would intend to rollback things like the hate crime bill. 

End of the day, to use that quote "it's the economy, stupid". Get that firing , everything else follows, perhaps even a better case for independence than exists today. 

Ulysses
2 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Right now I'd vote Labour. Fresh start etc etc. 

It'd be interesting to see if they'd make a decent go of it.

Hagar the Horrible

"I don't know who Peter is!  I have no recollection of marrying Peter, I cant recall meeting him before, I do not know anybody called Peter!  I am sure it wasn't me, I have done nothing wrong"     Frank get the door

Australis

Is stealing donations from thousands of people who trusted you a hate crime.

Jim_Duncan
13 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

It's what's inside that counts

Screenshot_2024-04-19-09-52-51-63_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Looks mouldy.

Hagar the Horrible

Big Alex, will have a grin the size of the Grand canyon,  Revenge being a dish best served cold, well this one has been in a block of ice, inside a freezer floating around space for billions of years 

Cairneyhill Jambo
40 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

She’s suspiciously quiet . ! 

What do you expect her to say?  Its an ongoing criminal investigation so she won't be able to say anything.

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

of the day, to use that quote "it's the economy, stupid". Get that firing , everything else follows, perhaps even a better case for independence than exists today.

Yep that’s my main concern 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

What do you expect her to say?  Its an ongoing criminal investigation so she won't be able to say anything.

But she can’t help herself usually 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Big Alex, will have a grin the size of the Grand canyon,  Revenge being a dish best served cold, well this one has been in a block of ice, inside a freezer floating around space for billions of years 

He will be cheesing and it’s not over yet , he’s still taking her and her cronies to court 

John Findlay

I'm still spoiling my ballot paper, with the words, none of the above.

Fxxx the SPFL

Did he go home to his wife or partner ?

😂

Australis
11 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

She held two press conferences in the lobby of the Scottish Parliament last year saying she had done nothing wrong.

It was an ongoing investigation then too.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Australis said:

She held two press conferences in the lobby of the Scottish Parliament last year saying she had done nothing wrong.

Exactly , hence  why I’m suspicious why  she’s suspiciously quiet 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Cairneyhill Jambo
3 minutes ago, Australis said:

Had she been charged at that point?  The current investigation relates to her husband, not her.

Australis
1 minute ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Had she been charged at that point?  The current investigation relates to her husband, not her.

No she had been arrested along with Colin Beattie and released without charge, while the investigation continued. That makes three of them.

Still an ongoing investigation, or did they halt it twice for two minutes to allow her to plead innocence.

37 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Right now I'd vote Labour. Fresh start etc etc. But if I was doorstepped by a prospective MSP I'd have a few questions for them along the lines of making sure they are focusing on things that matter to people and not some of the things the SNP / Greens have come out with. Would also be keen to hear about how they would intend to rollback things like the hate crime bill. 

End of the day, to use that quote "it's the economy, stupid". Get that firing , everything else follows, perhaps even a better case for independence than exists today. 

Yip, it's not that hard a concept, is it?

2026 Scottish elections will be interesting.  Will be interesting to see what impact this has on the polls regarding independence.  While the SNP polling has dropped, the %age for independence has remained pretty consistent.

If Murrell is found guilty then Sturgeon is automatically tarnished, raises questions about how much she knew etc etc

Leaves Yousef rather isolated, and would think the likes of Cherry, Flynn, Forbes etc may make a bid to reshape the party.

So where now for those folk?

Dirty Deeds

Given the general standard and behaviour of our politicians I expect Murrell to be singing like a canary under police questioning blaming everyone but himself and trying to implicate anyone that had access to the dosh.

Personally, I'd go with the bad people made me do it excuse.

Gundermann
45 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Labour, bar one or two, voted for it. Their main beef was that it didn't include misogyny. The reason it didn't is down to a review/ recommendation on a separate misogyny act by Labour peer Helena Kennedy.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Boris said:

Yip, it's not that hard a concept, is it?

2026 Scottish elections will be interesting.  Will be interesting to see what impact this has on the polls regarding independence.  While the SNP polling has dropped, the %age for independence has remained pretty consistent.

If Murrell is found guilty then Sturgeon is automatically tarnished, raises questions about how much she knew etc etc

Leaves Yousef rather isolated, and would think the likes of Cherry, Flynn, Forbes etc may make a bid to reshape the party.

So where now for those folk?

Although there are those that will debate/argue that the SNP is not the only avenue to independence, for the vast majority of the electorate they are.

At this moment in time, how is Scottish independence achieved without them?

Mikey1874
17 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

The current investigation relates to financial accounts of the SNP. Need to check who all was responsible for that during the period in question.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Their main beef was that it didn't include misogyny.

Not true at all . The “ main beef” was the shit about “ perception “ and various other flaws in it . 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
35 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

In what way does it “not relate to her” :rofl::rofl:

23 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Although there are those that will debate/argue that the SNP is not the only avenue to independence, for the vast majority of the electorate they are.

At this moment in time, how is Scottish independence achieved without them?

That's the conundrum John!

As I say, polls show SNP vote share declining, yet support for independence remains around the 45-50% mark.

Which suggests that those wanting indy are losing their trust in current SNP leadership, perhaps are more focused on things like the economy, so will change their vote for that, but still support independence.

Which in turn perhaps proves the assertation that wanting independence and supporting the SNP are not mutually exclusive.  Recently the SNP have been the best vehicle for independence, but the wheels are starting to come off of that particular motor home.

Where now for the Yes campaign?  Where indeed, but support for it remains.

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

In what way does it “not relate to her” :rofl::rofl:

That’s some spin , as expected from them 🤭

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

I expect her to say "I don't recall"

Standard playbook response. 

Ron Burgundy

It's a sign of the times when you have to vote for who you think will have the least detrimental effect on your life rather than who could improve it.

What a sad place Scotland and the rest of the UK have become.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It's a sign of the times when you have to vote for who you think will have the least detrimental effect on your life rather than who could improve it.

What a sad place Scotland and the rest of the UK have become.

The independent movement had genuine direction before 2014. What it’s become now (SNP especially) is essentially what happens if your ideology boils down to hating another country 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Looks mouldy.

Burnt to a cinder like indyref2

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The independent movement had genuine direction before 2014. What it’s become now (SNP especially) is essentially what happens if your ideology boils down to hating another country 

Agreed.

Right now I would vote any party who ensured I get the same take home pay as my colleagues over the imaginary line in the sand.

I'm bored of the split, it's like a full on old firm political divide that they have created, or maybe it's Westminster who drove them to it.