Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

redjambo
1 minute ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

You're not a man 'till you've had a man, red'.

Absolutely, Tarks. I'm just not a great fan of the compulsory marriage aspect. Once you go down that route, it becomes a bit of a bottomless pit.

Ulysses
9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What, like gay marriage even for the non-gays? That might be a bridge too far for me.

Even if it lowers your taxes? :laugh: 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

You're not a man 'till you've had a man, red'.

IMG_7208.gif

redjambo
41 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

Harvie is an opportunist - he espoused independence to get close to power with the SNP and he will ditch it if he think he can get close to power with unionists

I don't think any other mainstream party will consider sharing power with the Greens in their current guise, to be honest. They are no longer going to be kingmakers.

redjambo
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Even if it lowers your taxes? :laugh: 

Ah, now that's a good point.

Australis
14 minutes ago, Australis said:

image.png.d9491150ff8c1a80dff0674b6fa86857.png

Why would Shona Robison not be replacing the clown if this is true from Murdo Fraser?

45 minutes ago, Ked said:

Fascist v Militant .

Tempting to say pesky Russians.

But the current mob drop their knickers to anyone.

We need more Russian interference imo !

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, Boab said:

We need more Russian interference imo !

:muggy:

ehcaley

I see Eck still fully loving London,been interviewed in front of every landmark today,now enjoying a wee drink at Westminster😲

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, ehcaley said:

I see Eck still fully loving London,been interviewed in front of every landmark today,now enjoying a wee drink at Westminster😲

alex-salmond_1215718c.jpg?imwidth=680

55 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Absolutely, Tarks. I'm just not a great fan of the compulsory marriage aspect. Once you go down that route, it becomes a bit of a bottomless pit.

I’m not sure bottomless is the best word to use. Quite the opposite I’d say. 

Jim_Duncan

Bottle of single malt getting opened if Humza’s away. 

redjambo
52 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Bottle of single malt getting opened if Humza’s away. 

Hope it's a good one.

redjambo
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure bottomless is the best word to use. Quite the opposite I’d say. 

:D

AyrJambo

Seems Regan will demand that her Referendum Bill from last year is resurrected in exchange for supporting Yousaf

This essentially put forward the premise that instead of using an election as a de facto referendum on independence an election should be used as a de facto referendum on whether the Scottish parliament should have the powers to hold a referendum on anything (including independence) at any time of their choosing

Good strategic move as you would expect with Eck at her back

I wonder if there will also be a requirement from Alba that their SNP 1/Alba 2 election proposal, designed to deliver an independence supermajority at Holyrood with SNP constituency MSPs and Alba list MSPs must be adopted by the SNP in 2026

The SNP under Sturgeon insisted on SNP 1/SNP 2 last time resulting in more unionist list MSPs

Yousaf may not play ball however since the VONC is in him as FM and NOT in the SG itself meaning there is no requirement for him to resign as FM (or as SNP leader) even if he loses this confidence vote

He'd be a lame-duck FM but he kind of was already even before this no confidence motion

The question is why did D Ross not move VONC in the government which if passed would be much more likely to result in a Holyrood election?

And if Yousaf remains in post next week will Sarwar move such a VONC, targeted at the SG rather than at Yousaf himself?

steve123
4 hours ago, AyrJambo said:

Seems Regan will demand that her Referendum Bill from last year is resurrected in exchange for supporting Yousaf

This essentially put forward the premise that instead of using an election as a de facto referendum on independence an election should be used as a de facto referendum on whether the Scottish parliament should have the powers to hold a referendum on anything (including independence) at any time of their choosing

Good strategic move as you would expect with Eck at her back

I wonder if there will also be a requirement from Alba that their SNP 1/Alba 2 election proposal, designed to deliver an independence supermajority at Holyrood with SNP constituency MSPs and Alba list MSPs must be adopted by the SNP in 2026

The SNP under Sturgeon insisted on SNP 1/SNP 2 last time resulting in more unionist list MSPs

Yousaf may not play ball however since the VONC is in him as FM and NOT in the SG itself meaning there is no requirement for him to resign as FM (or as SNP leader) even if he loses this confidence vote

He'd be a lame-duck FM but he kind of was already even before this no confidence motion

The question is why did D Ross not move VONC in the government which if passed would be much more likely to result in a Holyrood election?

And if Yousaf remains in post next week will Sarwar move such a VONC, targeted at the SG rather than at Yousaf himself?

No expert but surely he would not survive that long, they would just vote down everything he tried to implement

Konrad von Carstein
On 24/04/2024 at 10:09, Konrad von Carstein said:

This thread is now a car crash of the usual suspects either trolling and playing to the gallery along with certain posters just being  gigantic 🐓🐓🐓

Thread is ruined.

On 24/04/2024 at 10:25, JudyJudyJudy said:

Close the door on your way out then , my dear . Mind your head 

On 24/04/2024 at 10:43, Konrad von Carstein said:

Good idea, saves me having to watch you trying to play kissy catchy with your new pals...

:)

7 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Thought u were leaving this thread ? You said so yesterday ! 😂

You took from our interaction above that I had thrown a strop and was leaving the thread?

:cornette:

Now, you carry on spamming and seeking approval from your playgroup and I will continue to post on here as and when I choose :)

John Findlay
9 hours ago, redjambo said:

I don't think any other mainstream party will consider sharing power with the Greens in their current guise, to be honest. They are no longer going to be kingmakers.

Maybe they can be Queenmakers?

redjambo
7 hours ago, AyrJambo said:

Because it is unlikely that he could be guaranteed Green support for such a motion, imo, given that they have been part of the government up until now. Harvey has already expressed that his party would support a no confidence motion aimed specifically at Yousaf but not necessarily one that is critical of the entire government or its "progressive" policies which the Greens have been an integral part of.

Lord Montpelier

Nice sunny morning. Perhaps reflective of a more optimistic nation now the figurehead of Scottish nationalism has untied himself and the nationalists from the poisonous greens and their horrendous social policies.

Now I wonder what the next few days will bring. 

Japan Jambo
11 hours ago, OTT said:

Alex on point as normal :) 

I find it incredible that those serious about independence repeatedly turn their back on the one politician with the skill, charisma, perseverance and belief in the cause. He was done up like a kipper by the Murrells, I don't understand how he can't be habilitated back to the cause.

Australis
11 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Nice sunny morning. Perhaps reflective of a more optimistic nation now the figurehead of Scottish nationalism has untied himself and the nationalists from the poisonous greens and their horrendous social policies.

Now I wonder what the next few days will bring. 

Will we get I was intending to stand down anyway.

I have thought about standing down for the last few months.

Japan Jambo
51 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Maybe they can be Queenmakers?

Surely in order to represent all the people of Scotland we need a Trans candidate? 🤣

John Findlay
Just now, Japan Jambo said:

Surely in order to represent all the people of Scotland we need a Trans candidate? 🤣

You mean become kieen/quing makers?

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You mean become kieen/quing makers?

You two better gird your loins for death by giffage!!

:lol:

Japan Jambo
Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

You two better gird your loins for death by giffage!!

:lol:

Front row seats for Blair Drummond 🤣 

Do I need to bring Eck back up the road with me?

Lord Montpelier
17 minutes ago, Australis said:

Will we get I was intending to stand down anyway.

I have thought about standing down for the last few months.

If he does go it will be some lame excuse. Maybe he'll be tired like the Chief Mammy was.

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

I find it incredible that those serious about independence repeatedly turn their back on the one politician with the skill, charisma, perseverance and belief in the cause. He was done up like a kipper by the Murrells, I don't understand how he can't be habilitated back to the cause.

The ones who dislike Salmond I have serious doubts about tbh. Speaks sense and has been sorely missed in Scottish politics. Imo. 
Anyone and I mean ANYONE siding with NS or that goon Humza just can’t be taken seriously imo. 
They’ve almost burnt it to the ****ing ground with all their shite. Those greens were toxic AF🤮
I liked Salmonds quip about liking a flutter on the horses and if Humza was a horse he wouldn’t back him :lol: 

Hagar the Horrible

Just heard some random SNP M<SP on the radio, she epitomises what's wrong with the SNP, she said she cant believe anybody would vote for anything put forward by ra Toareez?  labour should not be voting with them niether should the greens.

So in essence if there was a brilliant idea that the Conservatives put forward, the SNP will not vote with them.  That immature mantra is whats wrong with these nutters, and need to be kicked out.  They just have not read the room, even for reasons at both ends of the spectrum, Humza has naffed off every to a point they are all united in Humza must go.  Even though its for lots of reasons.

She also said that all SNP members will vote for Humza......I am not so sure

Shame I did not get her name

Hagar the Horrible
1 minute ago, Lord Montpelier said:

If he does go it will be some lame excuse. Maybe he'll be tired like the Chief Mammy was.

According to some inside the SG, I am hearing he did considering it, but wants to come out fighting.  Its being discussed, just events change very quickly, and what is said this morning might be a different narrative this afternoon.

doctor jambo
15 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

New first minister of Scotland- White

Hagar the Horrible
4 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

New first minister of Scotland- White

Too Christian

Gundermann
39 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Because he's a toxic creep.

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

According to some inside the SG, I am hearing he did considering it, but wants to come out fighting.  Its being discussed, just events change very quickly, and what is said this morning might be a different narrative this afternoon.

When they do the soundings(if not already done so) of the sitting SNP MSPs, and they find not all are forthcoming in their support for Humza, he will fall on his sword.

20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The ones who dislike Salmond I have serious doubts about tbh. Speaks sense and has been sorely missed in Scottish politics. Imo. 
Anyone and I mean ANYONE siding with NS or that goon Humza just can’t be taken seriously imo. 
They’ve almost burnt it to the ****ing ground with all their shite. Those greens were toxic AF🤮
I liked Salmonds quip about liking a flutter on the horses and if Humza was a horse he wouldn’t back him :lol: 

Salmond cares about one thing, Alex Salmond. I detest him with a passion.

redjambo
20 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Just heard some random SNP M<SP on the radio, she epitomises what's wrong with the SNP, she said she cant believe anybody would vote for anything put forward by ra Toareez?  labour should not be voting with them niether should the greens.

So in essence if there was a brilliant idea that the Conservatives put forward, the SNP will not vote with them.  That immature mantra is whats wrong with these nutters, and need to be kicked out.  They just have not read the room, even for reasons at both ends of the spectrum, Humza has naffed off every to a point they are all united in Humza must go.  Even though its for lots of reasons.

She also said that all SNP members will vote for Humza......I am not so sure

Shame I did not get her name

When the Scottish Parliament was set up, it was hailed as a new era of consensus, sensible, adult politicking and decision-making. Didn't take long for human nature to feck that up.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

When they do the soundings(if not already done so) of the sitting SNP MSPs, and they find not all are forthcoming in their support for Humza, he will fall on his sword.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. Unless he has the 100% support of his MSPs then he will have to step down

redjambo
1 minute ago, XB52 said:

Indeed. And add his stint on Russia Today into the mix, and you have someone whom Scottish politics should keep well at arm's length.

40 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Yep. Clear as day that something absolutely reeks about his trial. The fact that he's successfully sued the government and is doing it again, thats not a man that pulled an OJ and is counting his lucky blessings, thats a man thats been wronged and is out of blood. I hope he's able to get to a point where what is clear to many, is clear to all. 

Its all well and good say "sleepy cuddles" and all the other nonsense at him, but break down the accusations - I mean twiddling someones hair which was a known office joke, allegedly putting his hand on someones leg which was impossible due to a seat divider in the vehicle and the driver testifying as much.. I think in one, he brushed past someone? Just laughable TBH and does a disservice to victims of actual sexual assault. 

How perjury charges haven't been laid is genuinely something we should have an answer for... 

Just now, redjambo said:

Indeed. And add his stint on Russia Today into the mix, and you have someone whom Scottish politics should keep well at arm's length.

Alba have 1 unelected MSP and he thinks that turncoat should be deciding SG policy?? 

ToadKiller Dog

Dross has jumped to early with his vonc ,I would be suprised if Salmond orders Regan to bring down the FM ,his party struggles to get 2% in polls ,Regan would be gone as would Alba after a forced election .

The SNP would just say you stood with the unionist parties .

Alba if it is to grow ,bringing down a goverment wouldn't look good to independence supporters .

Greens are sore but won't want an election as they likely would take loses ,a big chunk of the support they get is SNP 2nd 3rd choice .

Does Dross want an election bit stupid as tory lot will get cut in half ,it does nowt to help the tory and the mess they are in  .

Would suit labour and the dims .

New SNP leader could argue distance between themselves and previous ,would argue this was unionists ganging up ,playing politics stopping holyrood from functioning .

Think Dross if he had nous would have waited a few months before pulling this stunt ,let people watch the FM flounder with a minority gov .

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Yep. Clear as day that something absolutely reeks about his trial. The fact that he's successfully sued the government and is doing it again, thats not a man that pulled an OJ and is counting his lucky blessings, thats a man thats been wronged and is out of blood. I hope he's able to get to a point where what is clear to many, is clear to all. 

Its all well and good say "sleepy cuddles" and all the other nonsense at him, but break down the accusations - I mean twiddling someones hair which was a known office joke, allegedly putting his hand on someones leg which was impossible due to a seat divider in the vehicle and the driver testifying as much.. I think in one, he brushed past someone? Just laughable TBH and does a disservice to victims of actual sexual assault. 

How perjury charges haven't been laid is genuinely something we should have an answer for... 

on one hand the SNP became obsessed with sexual assault, and the consequences for women of unwarranted touching etc

then on the other hand became obsessed with removing female protections for women who had been victims of sexual violence 

Go figure 

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Alba have 1 unelected MSP and he thinks that turncoat should be deciding SG policy?? 

Is she also a right wing fanatic?

Hagar the Horrible
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

I agree,  everybody and anybody has been up all night particularly in the SNP sounding each other out, do they show a united front, or cut their losses and break ranks.  Kate Forbes is already in the wings waiting

The Mighty Thor
49 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

:interehjrling:

Can't decide if you're serious or on a rather subtle fishing expedition 

7 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I'm personally a big Salmond fan, but he does absolutely have an ego. Do think that he remains the most experienced and competent policitian in Scotland. 

The SNPs actions on Independence over the Sturgeon era is litered with one blunder and unforced error after another - trying to stop Brexit, Blackford being proven to be nothing but hot air, the position of accepting "now is not the time" to then becoming "no", the failed legal challenge and then dividing Scotland (and therefore the yes movement) with deeply unpopular policies like the GRA, HMPA and so on. 

I suppose we'd all have a bit of an ego if we were surrounded by such shite :lol: 

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Fair enough.
Who did Nicola Sturgeon care about? 
Salmond was at least competent and a good politician. You don’t have to like them all but you need to know they’re not taking the piss. 

The SNP are mostly piss takers now. 

redjambo
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

:interehjrling:

Can't decide if you're serious or on a rather subtle fishing expedition 

Given JJ's political views expressed on here, I would hazard the latter. :)