Scottish independence and devolution superthread

Happy Hearts

Hagar the Horrible
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

A bit strange that he rejected Ash Regan's demands (which were fairly mild and non-controversial) - which suggests he felt under pressure generally as FM, and just decided enough was enough.

Don't under play this, if he went with her, he would have peeved the greens off more so, and to put an unachievable INDY as top of the list, would peeve of the electorate more.

A new leader needs to set her stall out (yeah i said her).  Stop the decisive politics first, OK that will upset some, but stop pandering to a minority at the expense of the country.  Kate wants Indy but when its able to do so, Ash wants it now....The country needs a leader who can work with labour and the toareez

Jamboross

Fair play to him for having the integrity to stand down quickly without letting this drag on to long. He was absolutely shite though. 

I really struggled with my vote in the last leadership election (ended up going for Forbes despite not agreeing with her across the board) so hopefully some better candidates emerge this time around. 

AyrJambo
17 minutes ago, henryheart said:

The UK is a nation in the same way that the USA is. I don't have a Scottish identity. As a city dweller I have much more in common with people in other cities within the UK than I do with people who live in geographically remoter rural areas such as the highlands of Scotland or Cornwall, for example. People in New York City will have more inn common with people in Chicago than they will with those in Virginia for example. 

What you suggest is that a person living a hundred yards north of the imaginary boundary between Scotland and England has a Scottish identity and those living just south of the boundary have an English identity. That is just fantasy.

I don't have a Scottish identity. As a city dweller I have much more in common with people in other cities within the UK than I do with people who live in geographically remoter rural areas such as the highlands of Scotland or Cornwall, for example. 

Ask the Irish just south of the NI border if they are Irish or British

6 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Wales is a Principality. 

Point taken but that is a question for the Welsh

Gundermann
18 minutes ago, henryheart said:

The UK is a nation in the same way that the USA is. I don't have a Scottish identity. As a city dweller I have much more in common with people in other cities within the UK than I do with people who live in geographically remoter rural areas such as the highlands of Scotland or Cornwall, for example. People in New York City will have more inn common with people in Chicago than they will with those in Virginia for example. 

What you suggest is that a person living a hundred yards north of the imaginary boundary between Scotland and England has a Scottish identity and those living just south of the boundary have an English identity. That is just fantasy.

I don't have a Scottish identity. As a city dweller I have much more in common with people in other cities within the UK than I do with people who live in geographically remoter rural areas such as the highlands of Scotland or Cornwall, for example. 

I guess that continental Europe is a mystery to you.

Though as a resident of Edinburgh, I'll be keen to explore my chances of paying a lower Council Tax in Fife because all those manmade boundaries are just fantasy...

Gundermann
15 minutes ago, OTT said:

The level of hate towards Salmond within the SNP is quite something. 

And outwith the SNP too.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Gundermann said:

Though as a resident of Edinburgh, I'll be keen to explore my chances of paying a lower Council Tax in Fife because all those manmade boundaries are just fantasy...

Funny how voting No meant they were just as scottish as anyone else. 
Now Scottish doesn’t even exist 🤣🤪

Mikey1874

One of challenges here in choosing a new leader, is for the first time they will be facing being out of power whether by a vote of MSPs or at the next Scottish Parliament election which is looking like a unionist coalition. They have been so used to being in power. Why probably John Swinney makes sense as a transition candidate.

13 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Wales is a Principality. 

No it's not. It hasn't been for years.

19 minutes ago, OTT said:

The level of hate towards Salmond within the SNP is quite something. 

I detest the sight of that man now. His sole reason for existence is to attack the SG while promoting himself and the lunatic fringe that is the Alba party. Thankfully our FM was not prepared to do a deal with the turncoat Regan; hopefully Alba will be finished for good at the next election

Lone Striker
12 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Wales is a Principality. 

tbf, thats a throwback to the English Royal wars of the middle ages, perpetuated by Royal titles & historic nonsense.   If Scotland had been ever been designated as a Principality, we'd probably have voted for independence by now out of a sense of anger

ehcaley
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Vote of no confidence still on then.

Was what I was wondering ,does the Labour motion still carry on?

Australis

Coward, running out of the room without taking any questions from the many reporters sitting there.

As one shouted, "first minister you have left the party in a worse state than you found it"

😃😀😁😄🙂

Even the most ardent rabid flag shagger Nationalist must realise the dream is now over. 

Humza didn't realise how much he'd upset the perverts masquerading as Environmentalists...

Oh ma sides :rofl:

Japan Jambo
3 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

And outwith the SNP too.

Weirdly those on the other side of the debate don't seem to hate him as much as the SNP supporters though. I suspect he shines quite a light on their own failures vis a a vis a route to achieving independence, perhaps that's what pushes their buttons so much?

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I detest the sight of that man now. His sole reason for existence is to attack the SG while promoting himself and the lunatic fringe that is the Alba party. Thankfully our FM was not prepared to do a deal with the turncoat Regan; hopefully Alba will be finished for good at the next election

Which part of Albas proposals were anything resembling a lunatic fringe? - Develop a cohesive strategy for Independence, can you even tell me the SNPs strategy? Focus on things people actually care about (like the economy, housing, education & health). 

If we want to talk about lunatic fringe, look no further than Maggie Chapman... 

What unreasonable criticisms have Alba thrown at the government ? 

Mikey1874
2 minutes ago, ehcaley said:

Was what I was wondering ,does the Labour motion still carry on?

Labour one is on the Scottish Government. Maybe a rethink though.

TallPaul

I'm guessing it's over to Lorna and Patrick at the Queer Gardeners Party to decide who they fancy as the next FM.

Gundermann
4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Regan will be livid, even more than usual. She knows she'll lose her seat at the next election whereas the SNP could still be the largest party after that election leaving her and Abla nowhere.

joondalupjambo

I would guess that Kate Forbes will be thinking about her longer term political career rather than the country.  She will make her play when the time suits her.

ehcaley
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Labour one is on the Scottish Government. Maybe a rethink though.

Just heard Labour going ahead.Tory Hoy avoided question,they don't want election

henryheart
1 minute ago, Gundermann said:

You guess wrong.

I was responding to a point about boundaries and how they impact or otherwise on peoples perception or understanding of who they are; the so called 'Scottish identity' as referred to by the poster. I wasn't suggesting that there are no such things as boundaries but rather that for many of us they have no impact on our identity as people. To use an equivalent of your example, I don't see the fact that having to pay higher taxes because I live in Scotland rather than elsewhere in the UK contributes to my identity as a person.   

Ron Burgundy
3 minutes ago, Carter said:

Even the most ardent rabid flag shagger Nationalist must realise the dream is now over. 

Humza didn't realise how much he'd upset the perverts masquerading as Environmentalists...

Scarily accurate.

JudyJudyJudy

Good riddance to bad rubbish . A horrendous,  divisive character . A charlatan . Another man who can’t tell you what a woman is . A man willing to place male rapists in women’s prisons . A man diverting money from Scotland to dubious causes . Piss off into oblivion and join that other complete failure Sturgeon 

Eddiepolio3

I'm writing a strongly worded letter to Labour that all they need to do is realign our tax bands with the rest of the UK and they've got my vote (they've got it anyway)

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Carter said:

👍👍👍

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Scarily accurate.

Harvie will not countenance any of the findings of the Cass Report. Puberty blockers should continue to be prescribed to children according to those people. He's a despicable deviant. 

Lord Montpelier
Just now, Eddiepolio3 said:

I'm writing a strongly worded letter to Labour that all they need to do is realign our tax bands with the rest of the UK and they've got my vote (they've got it anyway)

Basically that for me plus getting a clear understanding on what they believe a woman to be.

jack D and coke

Sturgeons one woman destruction of the SNP continues. 
Don’t think anyone can really be surprised or unhappy this has happened. The SNP need an absolute shoeing. 
If Humza was the answer wtf was the question. 

Gundermann
8 minutes ago, OTT said:

Which part of Albas proposals were anything resembling a lunatic fringe? - Develop a cohesive strategy for Independence, can you even tell me the SNPs strategy? Focus on things people actually care about (like the economy, housing, education & health). 

If we want to talk about lunatic fringe, look no further than Maggie Chapman... 

What unreasonable criticisms have Alba thrown at the government ? 

It's more about the people involved in Abla.

Abla themselves are at war with one founding member leaving recently.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Carter said:

Harvie will not countenance any of the findings of the Cass Report. Puberty blockers should continue to be prescribed to children according to those people. He's a despicable deviant. 

He’s a creep. Dangerous 

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Sturgeons one woman destruction of the SNP continues. 
Don’t think anyone can really be surprised or unhappy this has happened. The SNP need an absolute shoeing. 
If Humza was the answer wtf was the question. 

You lot were more than happy to lap up her disgusting sneering ways for years. It's all come home to roost now. 

12 minutes ago, Carter said:

That says so much about you. A proud bigot

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

He’s a creep. Dangerous 

They have deeply nefarious intentions. Why they were ever brought into the fold by Sturgeon in a binding capacity was always troubling. I don't think our former FM is all that she seems. 

Gundermann
7 minutes ago, henryheart said:

You guess wrong.

I was responding to a point about boundaries and how they impact or otherwise on peoples perception or understanding of who they are; the so called 'Scottish identity' as referred to by the poster. I wasn't suggesting that there are no such things as boundaries but rather that for many of us they have no impact on our identity as people. To use an equivalent of your example, I don't see the fact that having to pay higher taxes because I live in Scotland rather than elsewhere in the UK contributes to my identity as a person.   

Scottish identity is open to anyone who chooses to live here. As to the border, it's one of the oldest national boundaries in the world and the Saltire one of the oldest flags.

And aye, I've got more in common with an ordinary Mancunian - or Dubliner or Berliner - than with the Duke of Athol but solidarity and internationalism doesn't demand political union.

1 minute ago, XB52 said:

That says so much about you. A proud bigot

You seem a little bit upset. Have you just taken a shit and stamped in it? 

JimKongUno
7 minutes ago, Carter said:

Absolute ersehole of a man . His sidekick slater is just as bad. Pair of them should be locked up , Harvie in Corntonvale and Slater in Saughton

Edited by JimKongUno

Gundermann

You lot were more than happy to lap up her disgusting sneering ways for years. It's all come home to roost now. 

You sound hurt. Snowflake.

jack D and coke
Just now, Carter said:

My lot?? Who’s my lot :lol: 

Never really a fan of Sturgeon. 
If you can show me any post to the contrary I’ll happily accept that I’m in with “that lot”

This is you who claimed you voted Yes did you not?

Was she no “your lot” too? :lol: 

Lord Montpelier

A few upset nationalists again today

Upset they've backed the wrong horse. Again

Although you won't find many admitting to have backed that horse in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

You sound hurt. Snowflake.

I'm like a dog with two cocks today son 👍

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My lot?? Who’s my lot :lol: 

Never really a fan of Sturgeon. 
If you can show me any post to the contrary I’ll happily accept that I’m in with “that lot”

This is you who claimed you voted Yes did you not?

Was she no “your lot” too? :lol: 

I can assure you I never voted Yes. You're getting me mixed up with someone else. 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Shooter McGavin

He was total s*ite, and on that basis, good riddance. I’m bored of the SNP to be honest, hope there’s a general election soon and they get whitewashed.

Don’t think there’s an appetite for independence anymore, and just about every aspect of daily life has been deteriorating up here for a long time.

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

You seem a little bit upset. Have you just taken a shit and stamped in it? 

I'm more than happy with the fact that I don't hate minorities. No doubt you are happy in your hatred for anyone not the exact same as you. I feel sorry for you

John Findlay

I'm like a dog with two cocks today son 👍

That's some going for a bitch😉

Japan Jambo
5 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

A few upset nationalists again today

Upset they've backed the wrong horse. Again

Although you won't find many admitting to have backed that horse in the first place. 

Think you'll find it was a donkey

Wings Over Scotland | The dead carrot sketch

2 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

It's more about the people involved in Abla.

Abla themselves are at war with one founding member leaving recently.

Do you have any idea how childish it looks that you keep deliberately making a typo on their name? Its petulant beyond belief :lol: 

Are you talking about the whole Eva Comrie situation ? Bit of a mess, but hardly unusual. Alba want a well known name running for Grangemouth because it will increase the likelihood of support. Not much different to Angus Robertson getting the nod for the Edinburgh Central seat, or how exactly Anum Qasair got the Airdrie seat. Parties are entitled to push candidates who they feel have the greatest likelihood of success. Sucks for Eva, and I don't necessarily agree but it is what it is. 

On it now being the people, I'm sorry that doesn't wash. Either they are lunatics, and there is examples of that. Or they're not and you just don't like them.

You can admit you just don't like them. Nothing wrong with that, and at least its not disingenuous rubbish.

But just to be absolutely clear, there were multiple occasions over the last 4 years where Sturgeon, Humza, Jenny Gilruth, Shona Robison and others have been unable to define a woman and tied themselves in knots over the Isla Bryson case. That is lunacy, and it was done partly because Sturgeon was drinking the GRA koolaid, and partly to march to the drum beat of the greens and lunatics like Maggie Chapman. So if we're going to throw terms like lunatic about, lets be accurate and specific. 

AyrJambo
23 minutes ago, Carter said:

Cracks me up the delusion of unionists on here

SNP leader resigns so independence dream must be over