Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

3 hours ago, Insideout said:

Anyone remember the guy who was the double of Mo Johnston?

Pretty sure he drank in Gary Mackay's Centre Spot pub in Morrison Street in the mid/late 80s if I remember the same chap.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The White Cockade
3 hours ago, Deodato said:

I remember watching Hearts v Motherwell when we were god awful. Perhaps around the same time when Eamonn Bannon famously questioned the role and relevance of midfielders in the (then) professional Scottish game. Behind the goal at the school end was this mahoosive fella who was fat-as-**** and bearded like Chewbacca. Game in game out he silenced all around him with his voice, bellowing expletives without hesitation, deviation or repetition. At one point it all got too much (or too dire) even for him. 

He announced to the stadium (and note his voice was louder than the announcer) "this is so ******* sh*te I'm away for a dump". 

And he never returned. 

He was a bit of a legend, but couldn't care less where he is now - possibly still on the john giving the pan a pasting. 

Walrus?

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

Pretty sure he drank in Gary Mackay's Centre Spot pub in Morrison Street in the mid/late 80s if I remember the same chap.

Billy somebody?

Married a lass called Jackie?

15 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Billy somebody?

Married a lass called Jackie?

Could be. I only knew him on sight without ever knowing him by name. There was always a buzz about his amazing resemblance to MoJo, who was then with Septic.

Libertonian_ii01
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

Ian Anderson was his real name.

Pretty sure he got the nickname Bernie as he had a resemblance to Bernie Winters.

Gentle giant actually.

Correct. Bark worse than bite. The scar gave him a hint of menace that didn't actually exist 

Refreshment Barrier
On 03/09/2012 at 15:56, Buffalo Bill said:

The deaf guy in the 1980s, who when shouting, had a voice like a dog whistle.

He mostly sat on the long plastic benches, but you'd hear him at away matches too.

Strangely, I never did see his face.

Maybe it was all in my head?

I worked with Peter for a wee while at Ferranti. Hearts daft. I learned pretty quickly how to have a chat with him. See him now and again, a shake of the heid and 'terrible' usually summed up his views on pitch performance. 

22 hours ago, Morgan said:

Anyone mind Jesus from the corner of the Shed?

Was he the incarnation who was Kojak with hair?. Always wore a two piece suit,short hair and shades.Often started the "clapping" version of We'll Support you Evermore " and was fond of a pint. He was a good guy and also full shed.

On 25/12/2017 at 20:54, TorinoJambo said:

Anybody remember Andy Henderson from Niddrie or Kenny Baxter and John Rooney from Piershill. Handy guys in the seventies.

Kenny Baxter; the hardest Hearts fan ever??

Playing Rangers squeezed down the shed from normal standing spot in front of the refreshments by the blue animals! A skirmish to our right in the middle of the blue hordes in front of the refreshments. Blue on blue aggro?? 2 police go in, they wave for assistance 4 more police go in, more assistance required, 4 more police go in ....... 10 in total!! They got there man ....... Kenny Baxter completely unscathed is taken out with Hearts scarf around his neck!! Rangers hordes look on in admiration and start to applaud him as he is led away!!

Kenny Baxter; hardest Hearts fan ever??

1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

Was he the incarnation who was Kojak with hair?. Always wore a two piece suit,short hair and shades.Often started the "clapping" version of We'll Support you Evermore " and was fond of a pint. He was a good guy and also full shed.

That’s the guy :thumb:

10 hours ago, Libertonian_ii01 said:

Correct. Bark worse than bite. The scar gave him a hint of menace that didn't actually exist 

Aye, that scar!

16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s the guy :thumb:

Cheers Morgan,

He was a good cheer leader, which we could do with more of at present.

17 hours ago, TorinoJambo said:

what about the Rod Stewart look-alike in th early eighties. Went to Leith Academy I think. He looked and dressed like the man.

there was one I knew but he lived in Gorgie

On 25/12/2017 at 22:47, Independence said:

Is this the great supporter who formed and ran SCAB (Stockbridge Craigleith and Blackhall) Hearts. I was a member for many years and it was a fantastic experience. Stan, Stan the fossil man! Happy memories. I remember a trip, double decker bus, to......fife at New Year with crates of beer onboard. Was it RR or East Fife? Happy days.

Sad to hear its the 'late' Stan Wood.

The very one. He’s been dead some time. By the by, bumped into SCAB “Youngy” at the game yesterday. 

On 26/12/2017 at 16:44, Morgan said:

Ian Anderson was his real name.

Pretty sure he got the nickname Bernie as he had a resemblance to Bernie Winters.

Gentle giant actually.

All correct. We both stayed in Ashley Terrace and, like me, he went to Craiglockhart Primary. Mucked about with him up til secondary school but we went our different ways then.

17 minutes ago, Musemic said:

All correct. We both stayed in Ashley Terrace and, like me, he went to Craiglockhart Primary. Mucked about with him up til secondary school but we went our different ways then.

I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Ashley Terrace many moons ago.

Not where I knew Bernie from though. Used to have a few beers with him in the Penthouse at Tollcross and went to numerous away games on the same bus as him.

Theme From Sparta F.C.
On 26/12/2017 at 13:43, davemclaren said:

He sits in section D just along from me,though I’m at the end of C. He’s either extremely tough and/or extremely mad! ?

We were shocked to see him wearing a White Hearts sweatshirt over his Home shirt at the H1B5 game.

We didn't expect that..... ?

On 27 December 2017 at 11:11, Jambo-Fox said:

Kenny Baxter; the hardest Hearts fan ever??

Playing Rangers squeezed down the shed from normal standing spot in front of the refreshments by the blue animals! A skirmish to our right in the middle of the blue hordes in front of the refreshments. Blue on blue aggro?? 2 police go in, they wave for assistance 4 more police go in, more assistance required, 4 more police go in ....... 10 in total!! They got there man ....... Kenny Baxter completely unscathed is taken out with Hearts scarf around his neck!! Rangers hordes look on in admiration and start to applaud him as he is led away!!

Kenny Baxter; hardest Hearts fan ever??

Mind seeing big Kenny arrested at Aberdeen and it took six polis to carry him out. Another time me and a mate were being threatened by a load of Huns outside Ibrox and he scattered them without a blow being struck. Kenny stepped forward and just bellowed "come on then" and they ran off in all directions. What a scary guy.

On 28/12/2017 at 15:22, jambovambo said:

The very one. He’s been dead some time. By the by, bumped into SCAB “Youngy” at the game yesterday. 

What’s the name of ‘Youngy’ you refer to? My inlaws are related to a guy Youngs. Never met him, nor do I know him but he’s apparently an old game goer. Hasn’t been as much lately though cos of personal reasons but was there on Wednesday.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 01:05, Locky said:

What’s the name of ‘Youngy’ you refer to? My inlaws are related to a guy Youngs. Never met him, nor do I know him but he’s apparently an old game goer. Hasn’t been as much lately though cos of personal reasons but was there on Wednesday.

Ian Young ? I think he's on here. Told me he'd retired recently - had a short chat in the new stand.

16 minutes ago, jambovambo said:

Ian Young ? I think he's on here. Told me he'd retired recently - had a short chat in the new stand.

Nah not him. :)

On 27 December 2017 at 12:03, the general said:

there was one I knew but he lived in Gorgie

A couple of JTs I work beside knew the guy and was nicknamed Fraud Stewart.

Sadly the guy passed away in recent years but he wasn't that old.

I can actually recall seeing him now and again over the years when I passed Slateford on a bus going into town. Just at the bus stop down from Grays Mill.  

Maybe stayed up that way? Can't remember seeing him at games though.

On 26/12/2017 at 21:26, SwindonJambo said:

My friend cousin, can’t remember his name tho...

joondalupjambo

Stan Wood.  Stan, Stan the fossil man. Started up SCAB Hearts.  Sorry see he is already mentioned but the guy was one of a kind.   He will never be forgotten.   More like him please and the world will be a better place.

Edited by joondalupjambo

2 hours ago, TheStig said:

Wee sinky what a guy RIP

Great shout.

PHM and no mistake.

Lovely wee guy too.

joondalupjambo
On 28/12/2017 at 15:22, jambovambo said:

Do you also remember Dave Pilley from the SCAB bus, he also played in the SCAB football team at centre half?  Sadly he passed last year , only 60.  

Youngy and I caught up at the funeral, first time we had seen each other for donkeys years.

On 26/12/2017 at 17:01, cubanjambo said:

im sure i remember at stirling albion , hearts fans with a ball getting a game of wembley or crossing the ball and headers at half time , i dont think they were put off the pitch, was a few years ago and memory a bit iffy,

I remember that happening  at Berwick.

1 minute ago, Cisco1914 said:

I knew one of the guys that did this at Berwick.

On the way back to our bus he was so drunk that the police made him be sick over the bridge into the Tweed!

Mars plastic

There’s a boy who I always remember from years ago who was the spit of Radio 1 dj, Mike Read. Still see him at tynie these days tae 

Big Louis who went on the musselburgh bus I believe...good guy big jambo. Called jesus in some quarters.....Still going I believe.

1 minute ago, mscjambo said:

Big Louis who went on the musselburgh bus I believe...good guy big jambo. Called jesus in some quarters.....Still going I believe.

That's the guy I was asking about a few days ago.

Red hair if my memory serves me well?

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That's the guy I was asking about a few days ago.

Red hair if my memory serves me well?

My grandad used to drink with him. Positive he still goes. 

Proper jambo

2 minutes ago, mscjambo said:

My grandad used to drink with him. Positive he still goes. 

Proper jambo

:2thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, Cisco1914 said:

Hearts wern't that great but the half-times were when the entertainment was on :D

t

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Do you also remember Dave Pilley from the SCAB bus, he also played in the SCAB football team at centre half?  Sadly he passed last year , only 60.  

Youngy and I caught up at the funeral, first time we had seen each other for donkeys years.

http://s191.photobucket.com/user/rrdb/media/SCAB Hearts/scab1977team.jpg.html?o=11 ?

Edited by jambovambo
Add file

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

On the way back to our bus he was so drunk that the police made him be sick over the bridge into the Tweed!

The clerie bus Morgan ?

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, jambovambo said:

That is a cracking photo.   I am front row, second from the right.    That was an early team shot and as we developed a few more came on board for some games, Welshy, James Hine, Pilley now and again etc.  Youngy and Stan turned out as well.  

Any idea where this was taken and who we were playing?

Mikey D

Edited by joondalupjambo

12 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

That is a cracking photo.   I am front row, second from the right.    That was an early team shot and as we developed a few more came on board for some games, Welshy, James Hine, Pilley now and again etc.  Youngy and Stan turned out as well.  

Any idea where this was taken and who we were playing?

Mikey D

To be honest, someone gave me that - would have been Hiney / Colin / Hamish ...

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, mscjambo said:

Is that the mixed race guy who used to have impressive dreadlocks? At the tail end of the 80s, I was up for a visit and as we were away at Tannadice I waited outside Haymarket station where supporters club buses often picked up ‘loose’ fans to fill empty seats. As my luck would have it, I was picked up by Musselborough and it was said dreadlocked Jambo who welcomed me aboard and took my fare.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

You sure mate, anytime we went there the buses were parked nearby the ground, you only had to walk over the Tweed if you went by train

40 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

You sure mate, anytime we went there the buses were parked nearby the ground, you only had to walk over the Tweed if you went by train

Quite sure BJ.

The time I’m referring to was a match in which there was so little interest within our club for going to Shielfield that they ran a mini-bus and parked over the other side of the river. I’m positive about this as it was the first ‘away’ game I took my wife to.

It was Colinton Mains Hearts, she’ll never forget it!

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

No, it wasn’t actually!

The way you described that Morgan it sounded like the clerie hearts bus as about half a dozen guy's from that bus were on the park that day,one guy extremely drunk.

1 minute ago, Cisco1914 said:

The way you described that Morgan it sounded like the clerie hearts bus as about half a dozen guy's from that bus were on the park that day,one guy extremely drunk.

We went by mini-bus that day and one of our number :lol: was so bloody pished he joined in the ‘fun’ on the pitch.

Regretted it later like :lol:

Just remembered.

Same guy attacked the Montrose goalie at Links Park because he was wearing a green jumper :lol:

William H. Bonney

What about the two brothers I used to see regularly. Think they went with their mum to the games. They were nicknamed ' the monkey brothers' due to their striking resemblance. 

1 minute ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

What about the two brothers I used to see regularly. Think they went with their mum to the games. They were nicknamed ' the monkey brothers' due to their striking resemblance. 

Did they sell the Pink News round the pubs on a Saturday after the game??

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Just remembered.

Same guy attacked the Montrose goalie at Links Park because he was wearing a green jumper :lol:

Can't remember that one Morgan but we could be talking about the same guy?Wish I had kept notes of all the wee towns/grounds and pre season tours?

William H. Bonney
Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Did they sell the Pink News round the pubs on a Saturday after the game??

Not sure bout that but I'm positive they sold the news on princes street in one of those wee booths.