Characters at Tynecastle from yesteryear

Pans Jambo

Remnants of Standards

Willowbrae Hearts SC were crazy cats back in the day. The Hill and Duff brothers plus convener Uncle Ray come to mind. Add in a liberal dose of guys from the Inch and surrounding areas it all made for some "lively" times!

First season on that bus was during the 85/86 season. Good times.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Tams bird

• The Gasman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Old Tolbooth

Who's the guy who always wears a maroon beret to the games? Not so much a character, but stands out because of it, I've seen him pretty much everywhere and he's a very loyal fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fxxx the SPFL

Who's the guy who always wears a maroon beret to the games? Not so much a character, but stands out because of it, I've seen him pretty much everywhere and he's a very loyal fan.

Woolfie Smith from Tooting.

The Old Tolbooth

Seems a nice fella, does he travel up for every game?

Also, wee Scouse Joe, not seen him for a while.

Lived in Moat Drive

I was Hutichison House , must know you. I remember BB camp and Big Bernie being the star on a Show night in the big tent.

Fxxx the SPFL

I was Hutichison House , must know you. I remember BB camp and Big Bernie being the star on a Show night in the big tent.

I knew a lad called Tam Allison from Most Drive he was in a few of my classes at Tynie School late sixties early seventies I'm sure he died really young with some heart defect he was a good jambo.

the general

Seems a nice fella, does he travel up for every game?

Also, wee Scouse Joe, not seen him for a while.

guy with beret used to travel with gorgie gas

wee joey still goes to every game ..... unfortunately

The Old Tolbooth

guy with beret used to travel with gorgie gas

wee joey still goes to every game ..... unfortunately

Unfortunately? :lol:

Revenue at Sighthill?

Second name is Anderson if I am not mistaken and brought up in Shandon. Went to craiglockhart primary and Tynie. Went to school with him cannae believe he turned out like he has.

• 2 years later...
Dougie Masterton
On 03/09/2012 at 17:43, ollie2004 said:

The fat man from Blackhall was probably "Fat Bob" from the Manor Branch, used to go to all the matches home and away sadly he died a few years back, there was another lad "Tiny", big fella always wore an American combat jacket seemed to always be with Bob.

The Manor Branch! Brings back memories - not very good ones on the footballing front though but still memories!

The guy your describing was Graham Blackwood. His nickname was crawler. 

On 31/05/2015 at 14:33, jambovambo said:

(The now late) Stan Wood ...

Is this the great supporter who formed and ran SCAB (Stockbridge Craigleith and Blackhall) Hearts. I was a member for many years and it was a fantastic experience. Stan, Stan the fossil man! Happy memories. I remember a trip, double decker bus, to......fife at New Year with crates of beer onboard. Was it RR or East Fife? Happy days.

Sad to hear its the 'late' Stan Wood.

Edited by Independence

Doctor FinnBarr

Don't think we ever played RR at new year around that period, a 4-3 win in Methil springs to mind when an Old Firm game kicked off early and both sets of "fans" stood up a hill bricking all the busses as we left

Meant to quote Independance

Edited by bikerjambo

Theme From Sparta F.C.

"T-shirt man!!!"

There's a bloke that sits up the rear of the Wheatfield Stand, (he uses the passageway between Section C & D).

He never wears a jumper or a jacket at the match.

Rain or shine, warm or BALTIC, he's either got a short sleeve Home top or a t-shirt on.

He must have anti-freeze in his blood.

What a legend!! hahaha! ?

56 minutes ago, Theme From Sparta F.C. said:

"T-shirt man!!!"

There's a bloke that sits up the rear of the Wheatfield Stand, (he uses the passageway between Section C & D).

Rain or shine, warm or BALTIC, he's either got a short sleeve Home top or a t-shirt on.

Saw him before the Celtic game going in the turnstiles & thought “I know it’s warmer than it’s been, but it’s still December!”

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, TorinoJambo said:

Anybody remember Andy Henderson from Niddrie or Kenny Baxter and John Rooney from Piershill. Handy guys in the seventies.

Handy guys?

2 hours ago, Theme From Sparta F.C. said:

"T-shirt man!!!"

We call him ^ home and away * because he only wears hearts tops , short sleeves

Coburg Hearts
On 9/5/2012 at 20:22, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Are you saying China (Pivot China) is deceased?

John is indestructible haha

5 hours ago, bikerjambo said:

Don't think we ever played RR at new year around that period, a 4-3 win in Methil springs to mind when an Old Firm game kicked off early and both sets of "fans" stood up a hill bricking all the busses as we left

Meant to quote Independance

Many thanks, that’s the one. 

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I know he’s been mentioned before but wonder if Big Bernie still goes to the games?

last game I saw him at was a pre season game at Dumfy

On 03/09/2012 at 14:21, BigAlim said:

the bottom of section G used to have Karate Keith, can't see him anymore :(

He sits in the new stand by the police box now! Used to see him in Tynie arms doin a full blown warm up ?

Dougie Masterton
10 hours ago, cubanjambo said:

We call him ^ home and away * because he only wears hearts tops , short sleeves

Jim Smith from Livingston, if he has a jersey on you know its cold. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Dougie Masterton said:

Jim Smith from Livingston, if he has a jersey on you know its cold. :laugh:

He sits in section D just along from me,though I’m at the end of C. He’s either extremely tough and/or extremely mad! ?

On 26/05/2015 at 00:54, Tams bird said:

I don't think Bernie is his real name. My fiance knew him as Ian. They travelled on a full bus to QOS in the 70's and only 4 came back that night, rest in the cells !

Classic post. The minimal use of words capture what travelling support must have been like in the 70s - leaves you to imagine the rest. 

On 5/26/2015 at 00:54, Tams bird said:

I don't think Bernie is his real name. My fiance knew him as Ian. They travelled on a full bus to QOS in the 70's and only 4 came back that night, rest in the cells !

Ian Anderson was his real name.

Pretty sure he got the nickname Bernie as he had a resemblance to Bernie Winters.

Gentle giant actually.

Doctor FinnBarr
19 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Classic post. The minimal use of words capture what travelling support must have been like in the 70s - leaves you to imagine the rest. 

It was kinda mad on the odd occasion

im sure i remember at stirling albion , hearts fans with a ball getting a game of wembley or crossing the ball and headers at half time , i dont think they were put off the pitch, was a few years ago and memory a bit iffy,

14 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

It was kinda mad on the odd occasion

I remember watching Hearts v Motherwell when we were god awful. Perhaps around the same time when Eamonn Bannon famously questioned the role and relevance of midfielders in the (then) professional Scottish game. Behind the goal at the school end was this mahoosive fella who was fat-as-**** and bearded like Chewbacca. Game in game out he silenced all around him with his voice, bellowing expletives without hesitation, deviation or repetition. At one point it all got too much (or too dire) even for him. 

He announced to the stadium (and note his voice was louder than the announcer) "this is so ******* sh*te I'm away for a dump". 

And he never returned. 

He was a bit of a legend, but couldn't care less where he is now - possibly still on the john giving the pan a pasting. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, Deodato said:

I remember watching Hearts v Motherwell when we were god awful. Perhaps around the same time when Eamonn Bannon famously questioned the role and relevance of midfielders in the (then) professional Scottish game. Behind the goal at the school end was this mahoosive fella who was fat-as-**** and bearded like Chewbacca. Game in game out he silenced all around him with his voice, bellowing expletives without hesitation, deviation or repetition. At one point it all got too much (or too dire) even for him. 

He announced to the stadium (and note his voice was louder than the announcer) "this is so ******* sh*te I'm away for a dump". 

And he never returned. 

He was a bit of a legend, but couldn't care less where he is now - possibly still on the john giving the pan a pasting. 

I went on a diet mate

1 hour ago, Insideout said:

Anyone remember the guy who was the double of Mo Johnston?

what about the Rod Stewart look-alike in th early eighties. Went to Leith Academy I think. He looked and dressed like the man.

14 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

what about the Rod Stewart look-alike in th early eighties. Went to Leith Academy I think. He looked and dressed like the man.

I remember him.

Doctor FinnBarr
32 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I remember him.

Not the same guy as this yin was a hun but we had a guy named Boor Elder in Blackburn who looked and dressed exactly the same as Rod, spikey blond hair, tartan scarf, the lot. Seen him nick a bandit from the pub one day (when it was open)