Hillsborough

Adi Dassler

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember listening to it all unfolding as my mate and i headed up to dundee for the hearts match.All the stations were reporting "crowd trouble"at hillsborough.A day no-one will ever forget.

michael_bolton

I was astonished to hear of so many fans without tickets barging into the last Liverpool Champs League final. This precise behavior killed 96 members of their support. Yet they do it again.

I despair at some people.

I was astonished to hear of so many fans without tickets barging into the last Liverpool Champs League final. This precise behavior killed 96 members of their support. Yet they do it again.

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

PeterCapital

Why do people have to come on these threads and start slagging people off?

People died. It's the anniversary of the disaster.

Would you like to make these comments to the face of the father of the 10 year old boy who died?

Adi Dassler

96 people went to a football match and never came back.

I sincerely hope the same never happens to you or your loved ones.

michael_bolton

I fail to see the problem here. We all agree what happened was awful.

The stupid, needless beginnings of the tragedy make it all the worse, IMO.

PeterCapital

Would you like to make these comments to the face of the father of the 10 year old boy who died?

I see no slagging.

There is fact here though:

-If you dont chanrge the gaits at the final of the Champions League you can avoid disaster that have blighted your club 2 previous times.

-Happening once is terrible, but 2 times is a trend.

-Drunk idiots not acting like such, could prevent disaters.

Why do some people have to come on here and dispute the facts? Would you do that to the page of an encyclopedia?

PeterCapital
96 people went to a football match and never came back.

I sincerely hope the same never happens to you or your loved ones.

I would also hope that.

Why do some people have to come on here and dispute the facts? Would you do that to the page of an encyclopedia?

Goodnight.

PeterCapital
I am considering closing this thread.Certain posters are trolling and it will continue in a downward spiral. Please stop now.

I am sure this is not what the OP was looking for.

The Vulture
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

No drunk neds pushing in, nobody dies. Awful.

Who said people were drunk ? Did you get this from the same media outlet that said fans were taking wallets from the dead and years later this tabloid apologised for making up the story.

A guy I knew at university went to that game, he was lucky to be seated in the stand alongside Leppings Lane. He told me what he remembered were the comparisons from the year before when they also played Notts Forest. On that day outside Leppings Lane end safety barriers had been put up, herding fans in an orderly fashion towards the turnstiles, at the time he thought nothing of it.

Many errors were made on that day, lies were also told by the authorities. Why ? Was it to cover up their guilt ? Let us hope that the lessons have been learnt from that awful day.

A similar incident nearly happened at a semi final once between Wolves and Spurs in the early 80s. Same ground, same situation, the only difference being on that day the fans weren't penned in by fences, thus luckily a disaster was avoided.

Woolfords Hearts
I am considering closing this thread.Certain posters are trolling and it will continue in a downward spiral. Please stop now.

I am sure this is not what the OP was looking for.

What is the OP looking for?

It was obviously a tragedy that happened,but people have opinions on the circumstances surrounding it.

Regardless of the bigger debate 96 people died, a terrible tragedy.

Remember being at Dens and getting beat 2-1 I think, paid no attention to what was unfolding until seeing the news that night.

Remnants of Standards
What would be justice?

Justice? Closing this thread possibly.

Too many people with hee-haw between their ears being allowed a say. I dont want to hear their particular "take" on what happened that day regarding "drunken neds".

JUSTICE FOR THE 96.

theschoolend

Lived down there at the time. Went to the Everton semi v Norwich the same day with a good pal.

Couldnt believe what was happening as news was leaked through. Everton in final all the guys really happy until..................

First game back Everton v Liverpool 0 - 0 was there and I can tell all of you football is a game and NOT more than life as some might think / say.

Before people get on about drunken fans etc and take the high ground how many on this site go on about being rat arsed and the fighting in the past.

What happened in the Leppings Road end should never have happened. The way things were arranged that day were poor. All the people involved fans, stewards, police did not expect or want what happened to occur. Some were negligent but that happens in life.

Every time I think of that day I have a tear in my eye. I knew familyies I knew the hurt. The grief was so bad. I heard recently about a sign on the east lancs road A580(into Manchester from Liverpool for the recent 3-0 game) stating "96 not enough"! Well these people in my view are ****.

I like banter with my Hibee pals and also liked the banter at Goodison and Anfield/.

Just in case people have any doubts about life look at this link

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/splash/hillsborough_memorial08.htm

People who don't know the story behing this should at least read the short version of this document. Hopefully it would stop them making ignorant statements about it in the future.

http://hfdinfo.com/include/download1.php short version

http://hfdinfo.com/include/download2.php full version

But these documents clearly come from one side of the debate so aren't proof of anything.

I admit it was a terrible incident but lets not pretend that Liverpool fans are little put upon innocents. They are hard core fans from a rough dock town. like Glasgow or Marseille.

I don't for a minute not feel sorry for the families, but look at another thread on this board just now about the crazy times in the old days. Now we are expected to believe that there are certain clubs who's fans are beyond reproach (Seville for example)

Justice? Closing this thread possibly.

Too many people with hee-haw between their ears being allowed a say. I dont want to hear their particular "take" on what happened that day regarding "drunken neds".

JUSTICE FOR THE 96.

Not saying who was wrong or who was right...always 2 sides to every story though.

Not saying who was wrong or who was right...always 2 sides to every story though.

Three sides.

Your side

Their side

The truth

chester copperpot

I remember being a young laddie when this happened 19 years ago. I, as a Liverpool fan am disgusted with some of the comments that have came on here tonight.

I had one of my mate's dad's mate (I know its far removed, but it still hits home as a football fan, let alone a Liverpool fan) kids lose their life in that incident. I find any attempt to discredit a football team insulting and rather distasteful.

Regardless of what you think of Liverpool, the police opened the gates to let the rest in. Comments of any other nature are just wrong.

Why cant people for once just pay respects for the people who lost their lives, not about the cause (which IMO was the police's for opening the gate that let the fans in) and forget about what team you support (whether that be Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United etc etc) and pay some respects to the families that lost their loved one's.

Anyone who wants to score brownie points for their team on a fans forum that has nothing to do with Liverpool are either sick, or have a hidden agenda.

Man Utd had the Munich disaster, which I feel strongly about too. An amazing team cut in their prime due to an air disaster. (As a Liverpool fan, this deeply upset me, regardless of the team).

Why cant we just pay our respects without the usual comments about who was at fault, at the end of the day, 96 people lost their lives.

theschoolend
I remember being a young laddie when this happened 19 years ago. I, as a Liverpool fan am disgusted with some of the comments that have came on here tonight.

I had one of my mate's dad's mate (I know its far removed, but it still hits home as a football fan, let alone a Liverpool fan) kids lose their life in that incident. I find any attempt to discredit a football team insulting and rather distasteful.

Regardless of what you think of Liverpool, the police opened the gates to let the rest in. Comments of any other nature are just wrong.

Why cant people for once just pay respects for the people who lost their lives, not about the cause (which IMO was the police's for opening the gate that let the fans in) and forget about what team you support (whether that be Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United etc etc) and pay some respects to the families that lost their loved one's.

Anyone who wants to score brownie points for their team on a fans forum that has nothing to do with Liverpool are either sick, or have a hidden agenda.

Man Utd had the Munich disaster, which I feel strongly about too. An amazing team cut in their prime due to an air disaster. (As a Liverpool fan, this deeply upset me, regardless of the team).

Why cant we just pay our respects without the usual comments about who was at fault, at the end of the day, 96 people lost their lives.

Chester someone who speak sense. It hurts to this day what happened. We were distraught. Yes fights gans being hard was great but this was real. Some people have no idea.

Denny Crane
People who don't know the story behing this should at least read the short version of this document. Hopefully it would stop them making ignorant statements about it in the future.

http://hfdinfo.com/include/download1.php short version

http://hfdinfo.com/include/download2.php full version

Also add this one:-

http://www.hfdinfo.com/play.php

and the below link has access to two respective pdf files of the Taylor report:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Report

For those of you espousing the drunken fans line, the findings by Lord Chief Justice Taylor may somewhat disappoint you.

This could've happened to any club - don't let any anti-Liverpudlian prejudices that you may have get in the way of fact (again, I refer you to Taylor). Remember Hearts' cup semi v Rangers in April 1993? Remember the balls up Strathclyde Police made of it? Namely us being allocated one end of Celtic's then-antiqudated stadium. Said end was divided into two halves. I, like many others got in bang on kick-off. Various entrances were blocked with the police not having a clue what to do about it. Eventually I get in to find that while the half I'm in is packed with Jambos (and a bit of a squeeze to boot), the other half only has a smatterring of fans and the half-time pipe-band!

Preston gives us the lead and I and many others are swept forward. Some closer to the front are on the pitch. Luckily, Celtic had no perimeter fencing.

The fanzine 'No Idle talk' did an excellent piece on that day in the issue that was released after it - the comparisons they made with Hillsborough were not that far off the mark.

Seems like a topic worthy of debate IMO.

FWIW I don't think the Liverpool fans were guilty on this occasion but they do have a bit of previous.

But these documents clearly come from one side of the debate so aren't proof of anything.

I admit it was a terrible incident but lets not pretend that Liverpool fans are little put upon innocents. They are hard core fans from a rough dock town. like Glasgow or Marseille.

I don't for a minute not feel sorry for the families, but look at another thread on this board just now about the crazy times in the old days. Now we are expected to believe that there are certain clubs who's fans are beyond reproach (Seville for example)

Yes, it is produced by a group sympathetic to the victims families. If you actually take note of the citations given (predominately from the HSE Report and the Taylor Report) you will see that there causes of the disaster were a bit more deep rooted than some drunk supporters trying to get in.

I'm not sure what being from a 'rough dock town' has to do with anything, but the people killed and injured that day were badly let down by people who were not doing their jobs properly, with catastrophic consequences. These same people then shamelessly smeared the victims in an attemp to deflect the blame. Some of the things they alleged really beggars belief.

Anyway, it makes my blood boil - I could go on far a while so I'll just say it's worth reading the Taylor Report if you are interested, then you can make up your own mind.

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/foi/information_classes/categories/documents/hillsborough/hillsborough%20stadium%20disaster%20final%20report.zip

Denny Crane

Or even that boy's cousin - Steven Gerrard.

RIP. Here's hoping the families won't have to wait too long for justice.

Denny Crane
Seems like a topic worthy of debate IMO.

FWIW I don't think the Liverpool fans were guilty on this occasion but they do have a bit of previous.

What does said previous have to do with Hillsborough? I've provided links to the Taylor Report and can't recall that document saying that Liverpool fans' previous record of conduct had anything to do with what happened. If he has and I've missed it, please point it out.

a horrible tragedy that could have so easily been avoided.

i remember watching it on the news, and vividly the bits and pieces of personal stuff & scarves on the steps. very sad

can't believe that was almost 20 years ago!

Denny Crane

We're still waiting for South Yorkshire Police's full account. Anne Williams, mother of Kevin who died at Hillsborough, is currently pushing for a new inquest following discrepancies with the one that took originally had taken place via the European Court. Hopefully SYP will be made fully accountable - and reveal in full their own role back on 15/4/89 when her case is heard.

chester copperpot
We're still waiting for South Yorkshire Police's full account. Anne Williams, mother of Kevin who died at Hillsborough, is currently pushing for a new inquest following discrepancies with the one that took originally had taken place via the European Court. Hopefully SYP will be made fully accountable - and reveal in full their own role back on 15/4/89 when her case is heard.

Here here.

Denny Crane
I fail to see the problem here. We all agree what happened was awful.

The stupid, needless beginnings of the tragedy make it all the worse, IMO.

What also makes it worse is ignorant comments from yourself presenting fable as fact when they are clearly not. Please read the Taylor Report before you make any more sweeping generalisations about what happened that day.

Denny Crane
A similar incident nearly happened at a semi final once between Wolves and Spurs in the early 80s. Same ground, same situation, the only difference being on that day the fans weren't penned in by fences, thus luckily a disaster was avoided.

And guess what Sheffield Wednesday did in response to that incident. They divided the Leppings Lane end into pens!

What does said previous have to do with Hillsborough? I've provided links to the Taylor Report and can't recall that document saying that Liverpool fans' previous record of conduct had anything to do with what happened. If he has and I've missed it, please point it out.

Because said previous can influence peoples perception of the Liverpool fans.

Is it not conceivable that this is the reason why there is differing opinions on who was to blame for Hillsborough?

Just to be clear though, I do not think the fans were responsible for what happened that day.

Denny Crane
Because said previous can influence peoples perception of the Liverpool fans.

But Taylor's findings categorically ruled out hooliganism if that is what you're referring to here.

Perception is one thing, fact is is another.

But Taylor's findings categorically ruled out hooliganism if that is what you're referring to here.

Perception is one thing, fact is is another.

I never said it wasn't but, human nature being what it is, I think that some people will allow perception to colour their judgements.

Denny Crane
I never said it wasn't but, human nature being what it is, I think that some people will allow perception to colour their judgements.

Can see the point you're making. Although it is sad that some folk choose to allow this to override any inclination to search for the facts.

Archived