Old rangers, young players

New Rangers, old players

Escobar PHM
12 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Don’t think these players were older when they signed for the old rangers 

Almost all over 30 mate

Tommy Brown
44 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Butcher, Wilkins, Gascoigne, Stevens, Stephen, Souness, Woods, Hateley, Roberts, Gordon, Sutton, Bellamy, Kanchelskis etc etc ad infinitum

26 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Almost all over 30 mate

Nah, highlighted players were in their prime. All (except Gordon were playing for England)

Sutton probably too

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Nah, highlighted players were in their prime. All (except Gordon were playing for England)

Sutton probably too

Indeed, these guys were in their pomp

Pretty confident rangers will get nobody even vaguely close to that,

Celtic can drag the odd one up here by dint of guaranteed Champions League and their reputation for selling on to the EPL.

The EPL is littered with former Celtic players doing well.

Rangers have supplied none for such a long time

Sevco have supplied 3 players to the Championship? Although I recall the Magic Hat signed Sevco huddy Lewis McLeod for £1m at Brentford. Ouch!

Edited by JackLadd

Escobar PHM
15 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Indeed, these guys were in their pomp

Pretty confident rangers will get nobody even vaguely close to that,

Celtic can drag the odd one up here by dint of guaranteed Champions League and their reputation for selling on to the EPL.

The EPL is littered with former Celtic players doing well.

Rangers have supplied none for such a long time

The question posed was "When has an OLDER player ever came from the EPL and done well up here"

There are numerous historical examples albeit hardly any recently.

Edited by Escobar PHM

doctor jambo
Just now, Escobar PHM said:

The question posed was "When has an OLDER player ever came from the EPL and done well up here"

There are numerous examples

There may be, but you haven't found one......

and by older I class that as 30+

below that and the guys are in their prime

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

There may be, but you haven't found one......

and by older I class that as 30+

below that and the guys are in their prime

Butcher was 32 for a start. Wilkins was also over 30.Cant be arsed looking at the others I listed

Edited by Escobar PHM

doctor jambo
5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Butcher was 32 for a start. Wilkins was also over 30.Cant be arsed looking at the others I listed

So from Rangers successes you found 2 , the last of whom left Ibrox in 1990- 28 years ago, 2 decades before the club itself died

What a comprehensive list that really isn't

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

So from Rangers successes you found 2 , the last of whom left Ibrox in 1990- 28 years ago, 2 decades before the club itself died

What a comprehensive list that really isn't

A minute ago I had found none ?

doctor jambo
15 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

A minute ago I had found none ?

keep going , you may find one that played in this millenia

or indeed a club that still exists

after those two left Ibrox it was a further 26 years until your club won the big cup

Tommy Brown
26 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

nah again, Butcher was 28 and could have signed for any team going at the time (1986), he was a very good CB.

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

nah again, Butcher was 28 and could have signed for any team going at the time (1986), he was a very good CB.

Correct and none of the talent that came north would've arrived if it weren't for the English clubs European ban. 

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

after those two left Ibrox it was a further 26 years until your club won the big cup

Where you going with this doc ?. I accept personal abuse and scurrilous allegations  by PM only I'm afraid. Everything else personal,  I report.

Tommy Brown

surprised, Graham Roberts was only 28 when he signed for that shower.

Thought he was outstanding for Spurs when they won the UEFA cup

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

surprised, Graham Roberts was only 28 when he signed for that shower.

Thought he was outstanding for Spurs when they won the UEFA cup

Outstanding in that game at White Hart Lane 

Tommy Brown
4 minutes ago, Shedro said:

Outstanding in that game at White Hart Lane 

psst.... don't tell Pablo, but Kanchelskis wasn't even 30 when signed either..:ninja:

aw ffs

Gazza was only 28 anaw.................He got Wilkins :smile:

Edited by Tommy Brown

doctor jambo
17 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Where you going with this doc ?. I accept personal abuse and scurrilous allegations  by PM only I'm afraid. Everything else personal,  I report.

I thought the PHM in your name was Proper Hibs Man

I honestly didn't have you pegged ( not a pun) as a hearts fan at all.

Escobar PHM
6 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I thought the PHM in your name was Proper Hibs Man

I honestly didn't have you pegged ( not a pun) as a hearts fan at all.

Funny that. I never actually had you pegged as a doctor either. Is it not the case that you don’t actually attend Hearts matches anyway ?

Edited by Escobar PHM

Unknown user
32 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Has Aaron Hughes been mentioned? I know I said Davie Weir above, how about Craig Gordon? All from this millennium (millennia is plural ;) )

8 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Is it not the case that you don’t actually attend Hearts matches anyway ?

I think that goes for a large % of folk on here. 

doctor jambo
6 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Funny that. I never actually had you pegged as a doctor either. Is it not the case that you don’t actually attend Hearts matches anyway ?

If it makes you feel  better  do attend, though not every game- 10 games this season I think ( but as we are a family that's 50 tickets) if it improves credentials. Half home and half away.

Anyway, don't be so sensitive.

Having never seen you post something positive about Hearts I'd presumed you were a tolerated interloper

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Has Aaron Hughes been mentioned? I know I said Davie Weir above, how about Craig Gordon? All from this millennium (millennia is plural ;) )

Craig is one of ours

I exempt him because he was proven SPL before EPL, before SPL again

Davie Weir same

and Berra too!

And Neil Mccann

Escobar PHM
47 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

If it makes you feel  better  do attend, though not every game- 10 games this season I think ( but as we are a family that's 50 tickets) if it improves credentials. Half home and half away.

Anyway, don't be so sensitive.

Having never seen you post something positive about Hearts I'd presumed you were a tolerated interloper

So 5 home games. I’ve missed fewer games than that in the last 3 years. Dangerous thing presumption. Specially in your alleged line of work 

Big Slim Stylee
21 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

What a stupid thing to have an argument about.

Love this place sometimes. You can just lose your shite over anything!?

YULhmfcfan

So, with regard to the discussion (prior to the diversion into the birth certificates of players who could well be on their OAP by now...) regarding sevco going "all in" in a desperate attempt to catch celtic, there's an interesting article about Newcastle on the BBC web right now:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44171269

(ignore the "rugby union" in the link, it's a football story)

Newcastle took 'financial gamble' with highest-ever EFL wage bill in 2016-17 season

Newcastle admit they took a "financial gamble" to win promotion back to the Premier League, with their wage bill in the 2016-17 season the highest in Football League history.

New figures show they paid wages of £112.2m, almost double the Championship's other promoted clubs, Brighton and Huddersfield, combined.

The club lost £90.9m that year.

The Magpies said the approach was "only possible" because of the "financial support" of owner Mike Ashley.

What i find interesting is the magnitude of a gamble it took - no way sevco could stomach a 90 million loss in a year - and look who was, in effect, bankrolling them.

Perhaps if they hadn't swallowed the BS from the GASL and had stayed with MA, they might have been looking at a similar story themselves....

Also, 112 million a year on wages just to get INTO the EPL. Eye watering.

Edited by YULhmfcfan

8 minutes ago, YULhmfcfan said:

So, with regard to the discussion (prior to the diversion into the birth certificates of players who could well be on their OAP by now...) regarding sevco going "all in" in a desperate attempt to catch celtic, there's an interesting article about Newcastle on the BBC web right now:

Newcastle took 'financial gamble' with highest-ever EFL wage bill in 2016-17 season

Newcastle admit they took a "financial gamble" to win promotion back to the Premier League, with their wage bill in the 2016-17 season the highest in Football League history.

New figures show they paid wages of £112.2m, almost double the Championship's other promoted clubs, Brighton and Huddersfield, combined.

The Magpies said the approach was "only possible" because of the "financial support" of owner Mike Ashley.

What i find interesting is the magnitude of a gamble it took - no way sevco could stomach a 90 million loss in a year - and look who was, in effect, bankrolling them.

Perhaps if they hadn't swallowed the BS from the GASL and had stayed with MA, they might have been looking at a similar story themselves....

Made some money this season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44150831

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Made some money this season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44150831

just goes to show how even down there the money is thrown at the big clubs with tv, ever widening the massive gulf between the prawn sandwich clubs and the rest. fitba really is the rich mans toy these days, utterly dull and uncompetetive, structured to sate the check books and use the rest for cannon fodder.

8 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

just goes to show how even down there the money is thrown at the big clubs with tv, ever widening the massive gulf between the prawn sandwich clubs and the rest. fitba really is the rich mans toy these days, utterly dull and uncompetetive, structured to sate the check books and use the rest for cannon fodder.

Though its got a certain 'fairness' with even bottom team getting a big payment. Not like other countries eg Spain. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Butcher was 27 or 28 IIRC. Hid absolute prime and was by a long way the highest rated centre half in England at the time.

Punks No Deid

Yip 27/28 - Woods about same age - don’t let the truth get in the way of a cheeky wee agenda eh? 

All these guys listed came North because English Clubs were banned from Europe.

they would never have come over the border otherwise.

2 hours ago, YULhmfcfan said:

Ashley is no different  from King. He doesn't put his money into the club. Last time I looked they had £100M debt on the books and that is why they couldn't find a buyer. The link is nonsense - the alleged wage bill doesnt take account of turnover or parachute payments. The Geordies are fighting relegation because Ashley won't spend. 

15 minutes ago, jambosdad said:

All these guys listed came North because English Clubs were banned from Europe.

they would never have come over the border otherwise.

I think you are right but the same time Rangers could also offer funny money

15 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

There was another TOP petition to the CoS on Tuesday. I don't know the details of what was being requested though. It wasn't discussed in open court.

Cheers FF. Watch this space I suppose. And stock up on popcorn ? 

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Ashley is no different  from King. He doesn't put his money into the club. Last time I looked they had £100M debt on the books and that is why they couldn't find a buyer. The link is nonsense - the alleged wage bill doesnt take account of turnover or parachute payments. The Geordies are fighting relegation because Ashley won't spend. 

Think you're slightly misjudging the state of affairs at Newcastle. All the money is owed to Ashley and in total he has invested much more than £200m in the club (he bought it for approx £130m). That is why he is looking for. £300m plus for it. 

8 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

There are numerous historical examples albeit hardly any recently.

Naismith, Lafferty, Berra albeit via the championship 

Spellczech
10 hours ago, Jodami said:

Think you're slightly misjudging the state of affairs at Newcastle. All the money is owed to Ashley and in total he has invested much more than £200m in the club (he bought it for approx £130m). That is why he is looking for. £300m plus for it. 

So on Ashley's rationale then, if Newcastle won £100m this season  for placing & TV (estimated) then he only needs an offer of £200m now whereas it was £300m 3 months ago?

14 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

So on Ashley's rationale then, if Newcastle won £100m this season  for placing & TV (estimated) then he only needs an offer of £200m now whereas it was £300m 3 months ago?

Newcastle made £123 million.

Presume it's  paid as normal income across year though

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

He is actually after almost £400m now as he wants to exploit the fact that the EPL is awash with money. This is why he gambled the £90m to get back in. I have little time for the EPL personally but I have no issue with someone maximising the value they will sell an asset for. 

Besiktas are lining up a loan move for Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos. The Turkish outfit are keen on the Colombian, whose value dropped after a run of one goal in 10 games. (Sunday Mail, print edition)

£10 million, aye? :rofl:

Martin O’ bloody Neill on the BBC saying that Celtic ‘need a strong Rangers’ to progress in Europe.

No, they don’t. They possibly need stronger competition, but it doesn’t have to come from Rangers. It could come from a fairer distribution of revenue, for example, but that would harm Celtic and so isn’t an option. What he actually means is ‘Celtic need another team in the league with comparable resources so they can have competition without having to give anything up.’ I can’t see Sevco meeting that definition any time soon.

Strachsuit
4 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Martin O’ bloody Neill on the BBC saying that Celtic ‘need a strong Rangers’ to progress in Europe.

No, they don’t. They possibly need stronger competition, but it doesn’t have to come from Rangers. It could come from a fairer distribution of revenue, for example, but that would harm Celtic and so isn’t an option. What he actually means is ‘Celtic need another team in the league with comparable resources so they can have competition without having to give anything up.’ I can’t see Sevco meeting that definition any time soon.

Spot on!

kirkierobroy

Didn't see or read the interview but I expect the words were put in his mouth. 'Martin, d'you think Celtis need a strong Rangers, you know, to help them compete at EUROPE'S TOP TABLE?'

O'Neill, albeit he was at Celtic, has no interest in Scottish football or much knowledge of it. He's just the latest patsy for the Scottish football' ;journalists' campaign for fitba to be about SellickAndRangers and nothing else.

O'Neill wants a Rangers back that don't pay £50m in social taxes and have a watp bank that likes to yes? That was what he was up against with Advocaat and McLeish. Okay O'Neill. 

Unknown user
12 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Anyway, why is what celtic need in the news? What about what Hearts need or what Partick Thistle need or what Stirling Albion need? **** celtic, they have more than their fair share, let's talk about what the rest of us need - put that in your papers and maybe we'll start reading them again.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic