The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/41228081?

SFA: chief executive Stewart Regan says Celtic are only club to want a review

The head of the Scottish FA says only one club wants an independent investigation into Scottish football's handling of the Rangers EBT issue.

After the SFA rejected the SPFL board's call for a review, Celtic accused the governing body of a lack of leadership.

But the SFA's chief executive Stewart Regan says only the Parkhead club have indicated they want a review.

The SFA wrote to its members saying it has decided to resist calls to look at the issue after seeking legal advice.

More to follow

Now is the time to lobby our club, as per when they planned to put Rangers down one league. Worked then.

Edited by jambovambo

Tom English getting it tight on twitter after this ...

.@BBCTomEnglish examines Celtic's renewed call for a review of Scottish football governance http://bbc.in/2fbcoeS

Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap opened in London's West End in 1952, played to tens of thousands of people up to Christie's death in 1976 and has played to tens of thousands of people ever since. It's the longest running theatre show in history, thriving after many of the people who have acted in it on the stage and who have watched it from the stalls have passed away.

The governance of Scottish football in the time of Rangers' implosion in 2012 is our own Mousetrap, a seemingly unending story, a commotion that can never have a conclusion to satisfy everyone. Christie's play takes all sorts of twists and turns but at least there's an understanding in the endgame. There's clarity when the curtain falls.

That's not going to happen here.

There are compelling reasons now to have an independent review of the way the game was governed back then, not just by Stewart Regan's Scottish FA but by Neil Doncaster's Scottish Premier League.

Strip away the ugly dogmatism, obsession and hysteria that is so commonplace on social media. Mystery remains about what went down. There's been conflicting testimony. There's been new claims, the veracity of which need to be tested.

Maybe there is nothing that should trouble us, but until you lift the bonnet and have a look then how does anybody know for sure?

The SFA have, of course, said no to the SPFL's request for a full independent review of their own governance in the Rangers saga. They say no good will come of raking over the coals. To those who want a review, 'raking over the coals' sounds terribly like 'brushing under the carpet'.

One side - the SFA - argue that fans will never be satisfied no matter the outcome of any review and that only harm will be done to the game if people don't move on.

The other side - championed by Celtic - say that this is not about satisfying people, it's about trying to mine fact from fiction and about learning lessons, if lessons are there to be learned.

There is a third side in all of this - a huge number of football fans around the country who see this purely as a political battle between Celtic and the SFA fuelled by a desire for the stripping of Rangers' titles in their EBT years. Those people switched off to this long ago. They don't see that it has anything to do with them. They couldn't care less. An agenda for regime change?

The now published exchange of emails between Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic, and Stewart Regan, his counterpart at the SFA, shine a light on what's been going on. Through his words, Lawwell reads like a man who will continue to hold the SFA's feet to the fire until he gets an independent review of all that went down in that era.

In his correspondence with Regan, Lawwell repeatedly says this is not so much about what Rangers did, or didn't do, but what the football authorities did, or didn't do, at that time.

Regan (left) and Doncaster lead the SFA and SPFL - and were in charge during the period Celtic would like to see reviewed by an independent comission

There is no mention of title-stripping. His guns are firmly trained on the SFA. He says that this call for a review is for the good of the game, not for the good of Celtic. Given that Scottish football is a leading capital of suspicion and cynicism, people will have their own views of that.

Lawwell argues that unless the SFA agree to examine their governance then they will be accused of lacking "transparency, accountability and leadership." In that regard, he's talking directly about Regan and the decision-makers at Hampden.

Reading the material you get to wonder if regime change is his target here.

Celtic reject the view that this is little more than a Celtic versus Rangers issue that has precious little to do with anybody else. They argue that this thing is bigger than that. There is support among other clubs for that view, but how much support?

It's hard to tell. Celtic know that they have no legal recourse against the SFA's decision to turn down the invitation for an independent review, so the only avenue available to them is to try to galvanise the rest of Scottish football into piling the pressure on the SFA to do a U-turn.

They've got a mighty job on their hands.

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne is one of the few to have publically voiced a view - saying he wants to look forward rather than examine the past

This is a Scottish football spectacle and, as such, the plot is complex. Lawwell says that the SPFL request for an independent review of football governance in 2012 is "on behalf of the 42 professional clubs in Scotland". But is it? Do the clubs really want it?

Yes, it is the view of the SPFL board, who represent the clubs, that there should be a review, but all 42 professional clubs have not been asked for their thoughts. Some of those that have been asked by the media have said they don't agree with the call for a review. 'Why not throw open the files?'

They feel that the game could eat itself if it carries on like this forever. That rather undermines the mandate of the SPFL board.

One of the biggest clubs in the country, Aberdeen, are firmly against revisiting old ground and examining new ground. Kilmarnock , too. There are many others who don't back a review but who are unprepared to go public with their reasons why.

Celtic don't have sufficient allies to take this much further.

There is another point to be made here. The SFA won't have a review, but if the SPFL are so insistent that one is required then why not instigate an examination of the way their forerunner, the SPL, did their business in that period? If transparency is what they are about then let them call in the examiners.

All sides agree on two points. The first area of common ground is that there needs to be closure. The second is that not everyone is going to get to that point.

By turning down the request for a review, the SFA inevitably invite suspicion about why, exactly, they don't want football governance in that era examined by a properly independent review panel. If nothing untoward went on, then why not throw open the files?

That's a question that will be asked for as long as this story rumbles, which brings us back to Mousetrap. The blessed Agatha wasn't the only one who knew a thing or two about eternal dramas.

Have to say is pretty much spot on here.

I do wonder if Celtic are aware they are very much part of the problem on the grander scale.

Remember this :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rangers-dumped-into-third-division-after-1141991

Twenty-nine of the 30 SFL clubs accepted Rangers as an associate member of the Scottish Football League while 25 clubs voted in favour of placing the newco team into the bottom tier.

SFL chief executive David Longmuir said: "The member clubs of the Scottish Football League have today voted to willingly accept The Rangers Football Club as an associate member of the Scottish Football League.

"Furthermore, the Scottish Football League's only acceptable position will be to place Rangers FC into the Third Division of the Irn-Bru Scottish Football League from the start of this season."

Longmuir also stated that he was 'comfortable' with the outcome of the vote and that the decision from the SFL clubs was taken with the sport's best interests at heart.

He said: "I'm comfortable today that the Scottish Football League made a very, very decisive decision that was based on sporting fairness and I think the Scottish Football League were in the right place to make that decision.

"This decision followed a tried-and-tested process and was taken in cognisance with the other options which were available for consideration.

"Today's decision has been one of the most difficult for all concerned but it has been taken in the best interest of sporting fairness which is the fundamental principle of the Scottish Football League.

"The Scottish Football League has been entirely consistent with our willingness to work with other bodies to ensure that we focus on rebuilding our game, restoring pride in our game and exploring revenue streams and our willingness to achieve these aims does not alter."

DJcQ4HuWAAA8Iy_.jpg

So it seems that the SFA knows that there were issues, have taken some steps to resolve them for the future, but is not prepared to tell us what those problems were that necessitates the changes they propose.

Edited by Footballfirst

Pretty incredible piece by Tom English there, who I have a lot of time for as a journalist.

Does he not realise (of course he does) that Stuart Milne is being crucified by his own fan base because of this stance he has taken, numerous statements from Dons fan groups are completely at odds to Milne's stance but Tom pretty much ignores this and says Aberdeen are not in favour ?

There is a similar piece by Keith Jackson in the record today and I'm really surprised (perhaps I shouldn't be) by how much these guys don't have their fingers on the pulse of football fans today.

I'm aware that there are some on this board who don't want a review, an that's fine, but I'd suggest that they are certainly in the minority here.

Are we to suspect that our print journalists would not come our of any review particularly well either ?

Hagar the Horrible

DJcQ4HuWAAA8Iy_.jpg

So it seems that the SFA knows that there were issues, have taken some steps to resolve them for the future, but is not prepared to tell us what those problems were that necessitates the changes they propose.

Are they saying they will have a diet review by the compliance officer?  the point is the SFA senior ranking officers are the ones that need an independant review over? it is the wrong people looking into the wrong thing.  This in not somebody faining a dive to win a penalty,  This is corruption on an industrial scale.  I think the government needs involved

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/41228081?

SFA: chief executive Stewart Regan says Celtic are only club to want a review

The head of the Scottish FA says only one club wants an independent investigation into Scottish football's handling of the Rangers EBT issue.

After the SFA rejected the SPFL board's call for a review, Celtic accused the governing body of a lack of leadership.

But the SFA's chief executive Stewart Regan says only the Parkhead club have indicated they want a review.

The SFA wrote to its members saying it has decided to resist calls to look at the issue after seeking legal advice.

More to follow

Now is the time to lobby our club, as per when they planned to put Rangers down one league. Worked then.

Maybe they should just  write to their member clubs and ask them if they want a review - that seems democratic , transparent etc. Let's see what the clubs REALLY think. 

Just because Reagan has received a legal OPINION that happens to support their perspective (from tjheir own lawyers, not the courts) doesn't mean it is in any way legally binding or has any standing in law. It's the SFA's lawyer's reasons for not having the review - and why does it need a lawyer to comment any way ? More bluster dressed up as some kind of formal legal judgement. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

"I've had no calls apart from a call from Celtic and a call from the organisation that represents every club in Scotland."

Oh well then.

The SFA are scrambling like feck here, which can only suggest that they fear the implications of this issue getting thrown wide open.

The SPFL board represents 42 clubs.

Surely there must have been some consensus , view taken from the clubs.

Otherwise the SFA should be calling for a review of the SPFL governance practices.

Regan: 'I haven't had a single email, call or letter from anyone other than Celtic and the SPFL.' http://dlyr.ec/CZ9o2l

...a bit disco

Bizarre that Stewart Regan says that only one club (Celtic) wants a review. Not saying how many want it, but definitely more than one

...That said, Celtic need to get the clubs who do support a review to step forward. So far, not a peep in public.

"I've had no calls apart from a call from Celtic and a call from the organisation that represents every club in Scotland."

Oh well then.

The SFA are scrambling like feck here, which can only suggest that they fear the implications of this issue getting thrown wide open.

I suspect their legal advice is "don't say anything, you haven't got a leg to stand on, and it will end your careers"

In any organistation when there is a "significant event" it is usual to hold a full and open enquiry with full access to everything on a "non blame" basis, which will then formulate a report and make recommendations, if there are any to be made.

That is good governance

How they can refuse that is beyond me

Though Isuspect that they know it will be the end for them- and all NHS "non blame" investigations usually end up with someone being shot in the back

Matt Leslie on twitter :

To quote Cromwell: "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart & let us have done with you. In the name of God, go"

...a bit disco

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stewart-regan-dismisses-ludicrous-conspiracy-11150083?

Stewart Regan dismisses 'ludicrous' conspiracy theories as he sets out why SFA won?t join review

He told Sky Sports: "You?re making suggestions there about my own personal integrity and I can give you categorical assurances that since 2010 with the independence we have on our board which we never had before, with the independent legal advice we have had for every stretch of the way, it would be a massive conspiracy to think that four QQCS, three law lords, executives of all our clubs, myself and my board are somehow involved in some conspiracy?

"It?s ludicrous. It?s time to look forward and not focus on things in the rear mirror."

The Mighty Thor

He told Sky Sports: "You?re making suggestions there about my own personal integrity and I can give you categorical assurances that since 2010 with the independence we have on our board which we never had before, with the independent legal advice we have had for every stretch of the way, it would be a massive conspiracy to think that four QQCS, three law lords, executives of all our clubs, myself and my board are somehow involved in some conspiracy?

"It?s ludicrous. It?s time to look forward and not focus on things in the rear mirror."

There's a quick and obvious solution to proving just how transparent and above board the whole thing was....

Publish the 5 way agreement in full.

Job done and we'll all see for ourselves how the governing bodies acted.

There's a quick and obvious solution to proving just how transparent and above board the whole thing was....

Publish the 5 way agreement in full.

Job done and we'll all see for ourselves how the governing bodies acted.

and explain why the stripping of titles disappeared in later drafts. In other words what was on offer by sevco to make these go away? I'm genuinely confused

Pretty incredible piece by Tom English there, who I have a lot of time for as a journalist.

Does he not realise (of course he does) that Stuart Milne is being crucified by his own fan base because of this stance he has taken, numerous statements from Dons fan groups are completely at odds to Milne's stance but Tom pretty much ignores this and says Aberdeen are not in favour ?

There is a similar piece by Keith Jackson in the record today and I'm really surprised (perhaps I shouldn't be) by how much these guys don't have their fingers on the pulse of football fans today.

I'm aware that there are some on this board who don't want a review, an that's fine, but I'd suggest that they are certainly in the minority here.

Are we to suspect that our print journalists would not come our of any review particularly well either ?

I believe the majority are not bothered but there are a few on here who make a huge song and dance about it as if they are in some kind of majority position

It's the same I believe with the clubs who are not being snowed under with complaints despite what we are told

There is a sizeable minority but not the majority claimed by many and especially when you take Celtic fans out of the equation

The Mighty Thor

and explain why the stripping of titles disappeared in later drafts. In other words what was on offer by sevco to make these go away? I'm genuinely confused

I'd imagine keeping schtum on the years of nonsense that went on, particularly when the SFA was rammed with real Rainjurs men.

You do know what a draft is ?

Whether its the first or third it is not the completed document.

Just like buying a house the agreement changes throughout the process until signed

You do know what a draft is ?

Whether its the first or third it is not the completed document.

Just like buying a house the agreement changes throughout the process until signed

The title stripping is a huge thing to go from a draft

Goes from 'cheating' to 'not cheating'

We need an explanation for that. The SFA are dirty, and I think Regan knows his time is up... His PR is all about his own image

...a bit disco

Hibs now announce no review for them

Seems the support some claimed is slipping away

Raging on .net though.

Another 'Stewart Milne' whoopsie.

At least McLaughlin is giving Regan a moderately difficult time.

And McLaughlin's quite angry.

Edited by jambovambo

MacDonald Jardine

your letting your hatred of all things timmy chloud you judgment dead rangers would have been away just as fast if another league would have them , what celtic are trying to do is level the playing field whilst they are playing in a league they dont want to play in , surely that helps all clubs , watched too many hearts game against the dead club 99% sure i was watching a rigged game , andy davis for one , the whole shitty mess needs cleared out ,

Celtics motives are to level the playing field?

Do you really believe that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I believe the majority are not bothered but there are a few on here who make a huge song and dance about it as if they are in some kind of majority position

It's the same I believe with the clubs who are not being snowed under with complaints despite what we are told

There is a sizeable minority but not the majority claimed by many and especially when you take Celtic fans out of the equation

The majority are non-plussed because they have a disaffected attitude to the whole saga. The "it's the SFA and Rangers so what do you expect?" "Nothing ever changes" "it's been that way for years it's never going to change" attitude is prevalent in this. Exactly what the idiots running our game are banking on.

If there was a straight up democratic vote of fans opinions knowing that some action would definitely be taken then I think a majority would vote yes to a review.

MacDonald Jardine

Our print journalists were appalling throughout this whole affair.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

By my reckoning, Neil Doncaster's letter was contrary to the wishes of (so far): Aberdeen, Hibernian, Rangers and Kilmarnock. Strange move.

Don't know if Rangers should really be included in that list. :)

Kilmarnock is no surprise (they voted for Rangers' parachuting straight back into the SPL after all) but the other two are disappointing.

It is important to note that the Rangers debacle wasn't an SPL event in isolation. 3 teams opposed to the review out of 41 SPFL members (excepting Rangers) is not a huge percentage. Here's hoping a large proportion of the rest are biding their time to issue a joint declaration in favour of a review.

Some of the comments on the .net forum. Most Hibs fans are not happy.

• Not happy reading that.
  • *****bag
  • Not good, not at all good.
  • Beyond disappointing.
  • Disgraceful
  • Let?s get the big brush sweep sweep.
  • Move along, nothing to see here. The Huns get away with it again. Never ever let them forget tho
  • Well, so much for sporting integrity, shambles !!
  • Absolute *****bags
  • Disgraceful. Mibbe the club should acknowledge its OUR support which is providing the bright future despite years of being blatantly cheated. A condemnation of The cheats would have been the least we should expect.
  • It doesn?t surprise me, the board decision is described as unanimous, if that include those elected by supporters then they have serious questions to answer.
  • An absolute disgrace. Everything I thought Dempster would refuse to stand for. Disgusting.
  • For all of the good things going on at our club, our leaders have shown themselves to be cowards and the willing nodding dog playthings of Sevco. S***ebags.
  • The board of Hibernian FC are gutless.
  • What a f***** embarrassment.
  • Utterly ashamed of our club tonight.

??. and many more similar comments.

For balance, a view ?Not fussed either way. Let?s concentrate on all things Hibernian.? was supported by a couple of posters.

yabadabadoo1874again

Seem to have touched a nerve, I think.

As I intimated earlier, someone who would misunderstand a post of only two sentences is hardly the type of person to give out advice about who best to use as a source of information. As for 'broadening horizons', the poster who you seem to think is worthy of your support clearly has horizons limited by his dislike for all things Celtic, while your continued support and excuse making for the Ibrox clubs has always seemed to suggest something similar for yourself. However reliable PMGB, or any other blogger, might be, won't change the facts in any way, and there is no doubt that Rangers cheated the taxman and all of Scottish, and much of European, football. Their successor club continues to struggle financially while maintaining all the old vile bigotry of the old club. Nothing anyone says is going to change that either, so it's a rather moot point whether anyone believes what any blogger says on the matter anyway. I tend not to 'believe' anything I am told, about any subject, without evidence to back it up, and I am fully aware that I am just a susceptible as the next man to enjoying stories that intimate something that I would hope to see come to pass, but I don't consider it as fact until I see evidence that it has come to pass. At the same time I don't believe something was a lie or wrong just because the evidence of it doesn't come into the public domain, I just file it under maybe, or maybe not.

Well, there's more than two sentences in that post, I wonder which part of it you'll choose to misrepresent this time. Cheers :)

Nice one...good post !!!

Some of the comments on the .net forum. Most Hibs fans are not happy.

• Not happy reading that.
  • *****bag
  • Not good, not at all good.
  • Beyond disappointing.
  • Disgraceful
  • Let?s get the big brush sweep sweep.
  • Move along, nothing to see here. The Huns get away with it again. Never ever let them forget tho
  • Well, so much for sporting integrity, shambles !!
  • Absolute *****bags
  • Disgraceful. Mibbe the club should acknowledge its OUR support which is providing the bright future despite years of being blatantly cheated. A condemnation of The cheats would have been the least we should expect.
  • It doesn?t surprise me, the board decision is described as unanimous, if that include those elected by supporters then they have serious questions to answer.
  • An absolute disgrace. Everything I thought Dempster would refuse to stand for. Disgusting.
  • For all of the good things going on at our club, our leaders have shown themselves to be cowards and the willing nodding dog playthings of Sevco. S***ebags.
  • The board of Hibernian FC are gutless.
  • What a ****** embarrassment.
  • Utterly ashamed of our club tonight.

??. and many more similar comments.

For balance, a view ?Not fussed either way. Let?s concentrate on all things Hibernian.? was supported by a couple of posters.

Sorry FF but at present you don't know if most Hibs fans are unhappy.. Hibs.net like JKB does not represent all the support simply a small section of it and a section of the support that is likely to be more vocal whereas the vast majority are silent on the issue though in time that may change.

Don't know if Rangers should really be included in that list. :)

Kilmarnock is no surprise (they voted for Rangers' parachuting straight back into the SPL after all) but the other two are disappointing.

It is important to note that the Rangers debacle wasn't an SPL event in isolation. 3 teams opposed to the review out of 41 SPFL members (excepting Rangers) is not a huge percentage. Here's hoping a large proportion of the rest are biding their time to issue a joint declaration in favour of a review.

Killie didn't vote for Rangers to stay in the SPL.

Sorry FF but at present you don't know if most Hibs fans are unhappy.. Hibs.net like JKB does not represent all the support simply a small section of it and a section of the support that is likely to be more vocal whereas the vast majority are silent on the issue though in time that may change.

Do you ever get bored defending your beloved rangers?

AllyjamboDerbyshire

A statement from Hearts now, supporting the calls for a review, would be like a Derby win :hibsfud:  Hopefully we don't score an own goal.

Do you ever get bored defending your beloved rangers?

Don't you ever get bored of making silly statements because someone...whisper it disagrees with you

Killie didn't vote for Rangers to stay in the SPL.

Ok, they abstained. It made their point, and had the same effect given the views of all the other SPL clubs and the fact that the new Rangers voted for the proposal.

In essence, Kilmarnock have form for appearing not to want Rangers to be properly held accountable for their years of underhandedly cheating the rest of Scottish football.

• Maple Leaf locked this topic