The Rangers soap opera goes on and on.

Sergio Garcia

Footballfirst

"Who's Mark Wotte?"

Classic stuff Dave.  I'm glad to see that you take an interest in Scottish football beyond Ibrox.

"Who's Mark Wotte?"

Classic stuff Dave.  I'm glad to see that you take an interest in Scottish football beyond Ibrox.

Quite!

Not sure what to make of all that.  Sounds like there will be investment, but doesn't say how much.  Dependent on ST sales too?  Mr King seemed slightly reluctant to go into much detail, but to sum up - over invest now to try to guarantee premier football the season after by assembling a premier league capable side to play in the championship.

Or, in other words, to do a Hearts. :wink:

Footballfirst

From Richard Wilson's timeline (read from bottom up):

King: mandate is to get players who could perform in the Premiership, to greatly reduce risk for next season

King: potential managers dropped out when club failed to get promotion

King: who is Mark Wotte?

King: we are going to increase running costs and investors will provide funding to cover that for three years.

King: at end of three years club needs to be sustainable

King: mandate is to get players whom could perform in the Premiership, to greatly reduce risk for next season

King: we are not going to be irresponsible in terms of cost. Squad last year did not perform to level of Champ

King: it's overinvestment in terms of timing. We will accelerate investment, to bring players in earlier

We are@comfortable with the deal, I don't expect fans to buy merchandise in any greater numbers than they are

King: arrangement cannot be working for Sports Direct with 50,000 shirts being sold. Until we are confident enough to come to fans tonsay

King: we're asking fans to support & trust us. It's an awkward situation we find ourselves in, new exec team coming in, new management team

King: we have threw transfer windows to prepare for the top-flight and improve the squad

King: investors will fund shortfall in short-term but mobilisation of fans via season tickets and merchandise provides sustainability

King: we have a board that fans can trust, investors have put money in and fans can be co-investors

King: we have started process of engagement with Sports Direct

King: funding plan is to spend what it takes to go up and be competitive in top-flight

King: I will invest, but so will others

King: we will need money now to beef up squad. Players to be competitive in Premiership, so substantial investment in next months

King: here to rebuild club for a longer period of time, but business risk of staying in Champ is lower

King: level of investment depends on other factors, retail, season tickets, etc. Hope to sell out season tickets to bring in 12m to 13m

King: need to win the league, so right to over-invest to have strong squad, so investment process acceleratwd

King: not looking for director of football. Don't have squad situation that allows that. Need to get manager in who can coach

King: 11 players have gone out, so substantial rebuilding required with level of player to compete in Champ and Prem

King: no favoured managerial candidate just now. Can't see process being completed by Fri. Five realistic candidates. Next week more likely

King: we will honour or contractual obligations re McCoist

King: relisting process could take three to four mobtbs

King: I've not spoken to Warburton, but a committee bas

King: Stuart McCall is still a candidate. Hope to make an announcement within a week

King: club has made progress re manager. Frustrating it has taken longer than club would have liked, but play-offs has to be decided

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Rangers new buzzword for 2015/16 ..............................."over-invest"

Edited by Footballfirst

Spot on !!! The Rankers sympathisers won't agree though!

Whilst I thank some for their comments and will try to take on board the feelings some posts generated it does not change my opinion that many on here are simply creating this dream scenario of a new Rangers administration or lack of funds from those in charge at present.

I'm not going to change my point of view but if the above happens then a large slice of humble pie will need to be eaten by me...just as it will by other posters if it ends up with King and co. in charge, no loans outstanding, a new management team, a successful share issue etc etc.

Once more it is not what I may wish but it is a more likely scenario than the dreams of some posters on this thread... again my opinion not a fact.

His pledge today to spend "whatever it takes" to win promotion next term, seems to indicate the funds are there but again I accept time will tell.

I like this from Steve Jobs below which is not a bad way to think about things and pretty much how I feel not only about life but also to this topic.

'Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma -- which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition'

Diadora Van Basten

King: mandate is to get players who could perform in the Premiership, to greatly reduce risk for next season

Says it all really, paying Premiership wages whilst playing in the Championship only reduces risk if they get promoted. If they don't get promoted then they will have overspent.

Footballfirst

Rangers average take from STs last season was ?250 (net of VAT).

With a planned 5% increase, the take will go up to ?262.20.  If they are looking to make ?12M-?13M in ST sales, then its suggests that it will need 45,700-49,500 sales.

Not a hope in hell of getting anything like those numbers.

Says it all really, paying Premiership wages whilst playing in the Championship only reduces risk if they get promoted. If they don't get promoted then they will have overspent.

By the time they get sorted all the half-decent players will have been snapped up.

Whilst I thank some for their comments and will try to take on board the feelings some posts generated it does not change my opinion that many on here are simply creating this dream scenario of a new Rangers administration or lack of funds from those in charge at present.

I'm not going to change my point of view but if the above happens then a large slice of humble pie will need to be eaten by me...just as it will by other posters if it ends up with King and co. in charge, no loans outstanding, a new management team, a successful share issue etc etc.

Once more it is not what I may wish but it is a more likely scenario than the dreams of some posters on this thread... again my opinion not a fact.

His pledge today to spend "whatever it takes" to win promotion next term, seems to indicate the funds are there but again I accept time will tell.

I like this from Steve Jobs below which is not a bad way to think about things and pretty much how I feel not only about life but also to this topic.

'Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma -- which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition'

Can we discount Job's statement because it is rather, um, dogmatic?  :wink:

FWIW, I think King has to deliver.  He will, to an extent, but I suspect those Bears expecting a return to the days of signings like De Boer, Negri, Albertz, Numan etc etc will be sorely disappointed.  

Still found King rather unconvincing during that interview though.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

So they are going to throw money at players to come in and win them the Chamionship, Old Rod must be thanking his lucky stars he was part of the group that voted King in as a FPP and possibly consigned them to a third year in the championship.

Can we discount Job's statement because it is rather, um, dogmatic?   :wink:

FWIW, I think King has to deliver.  He will, to an extent, but I suspect those Bears expecting a return to the days of signings like De Boer, Negri, Albertz, Numan etc etc will be sorely disappointed.  

Still found King rather unconvincing during that interview though.

:toff:

Agree re the days of the past.. there will never be a return to those days as the football world has moved on.

The expectations of the fans does need to be adjusted (expectations yes but like all fans they will still dream). Can that be done ? is one question and will the fans buy in to the new Rangers ownership and plans ? is another.

As usual the next few months will be interesting viewing

:toff:

Agree re the days of the past.. there will never be a return to those days as the football world has moved on.

The expectations of the fans does need to be adjusted (expectations yes but like all fans they will still dream). Can that be done ? is one question and will the fans buy in to the new Rangers ownership and plans ? is another.

As usual the next few months will be interesting viewing

And that's the key because, after all, they "arra peepil".

Agree though, interesting viewing.  As will the Championship next season.  Potential car crash TV!

Walter Bishop

So Paul Murray says they will have their new man by Friday, King says it will be next week! :rofl:

Quite!

Not sure what to make of all that.  Sounds like there will be investment, but doesn't say how much.  Dependent on ST sales too?  Mr King seemed slightly reluctant to go into much detail, but to sum up - over invest now to try to guarantee premier football the season after by assembling a premier league capable side to play in the championship.

But its not though. Hearts lived within our means. "Over investing" was Rangers downfall 

Big Slim Stylee

If King seriously believes he's going to raise 13 million from ST sales without a serious show of funding from himself and the other mystery "investors", he's deluded. 

Jambo-Jimbo

King: investors will fund shortfall in short-term but mobilisation of fans via season tickets and merchandise provides sustainability

King: level of investment depends on other factors, retail, season tickets, etc. Hope to sell out season tickets to bring in 12m to 13m

As FF has said not a chance of them selling 45,000+ season tickets.

So if Investors will fund shortfall in the short-term based on selling 45,000+ season tickets what happens if they only sell 30,000 max, which is much more likely than 45,000.

King says they need to mobilise fans to buy merchandise as it provides sustainability, doesn't Sports Direct get the loins share of any merchandise revenue?

King Of The Cat Cafe

Is the last entry in Richard Wilson's timeline going to be "I don't believe it"?

Spellczech

So essentially King is still just making promises but waiting to see if the fans stump up first... I can see Ashley's people or fans asking who these mystery co-investors he always mentions are. Where is the transparency and trustworthiness here? Why would anyone want to invest money in a football club on the quiet? How come no other clubs seem to have shy investors? Investing in football is usually for two reasons: ego or marketing. Love is a third but it usually leads to ego. Even the altruistic ones like Budge and Farmer don't seek anonymity.

King shows his Hand and unsurprisingly to there's not much in it. Surely by now these dumb Orcs can see Kings a tight fisted straw man.

Sons of Struth lapping Kings words. 

"Listing will happen" with meeting arranged for the end of this week.

"The season tickets sales will not effect the budgets as if low then investors will put in shortfall"

These two quotes go against what some online will have us believe. Some claim a listing won't happen and fans are expected to pay all Kings "investment"

He reiterated he will invest "what ever it takes" and "increase spend" which he will fund if required as the club needs more staff due to having no scouting or youth department.

Some will winge "he hasn't put a figure in it" but those who actually listened to the full conference will know it will be whatever it takes over next three seasons.

We now have folk in charge who have the ability AND the desire to put money in without any need to realise their investment.

My understanding has not changed in the 18 months since he explained to me and others present that the club has three possible income streams, tickets, strips and TV money. As it stands we only have full money from one steam and that's tickets due to the fact the strip deal is stacked against us. Europe is the only way to get serious TV money and until the strip deal is sorted and the Euro TV money comes in the club does need fair investment.

A manager should be in with in the week and he also reiterated something we have said, some left the frame for the managers job as they didn't fancy a year in Championship.

King will be in Glasgow until at least Wednesday therefore I would expect inroads to be made in identifying the preferred candidate for the five on the shortlist.

"Rangers is about to commence the next chapter of a remarkable 143-year-old story that has spanned the ages". Liquidated?

"A club that Rangers is restored to its natural economic power in Scottish football and internationally". Where in the end was a financial basket case which King was part off.

?There is nothing like watching Rangers playing and winning and it is our duty to make sure our children can experience and enjoy that special feeling without suffering." Without suffering what?

"I and I ther investors, will provide the finances to support the manager in this objective. Figures will be included in the season-ticket letters.?

Show us the money Dave!!!!

"Credit and debit card payment options are now available to supporters once again." Who's bank rolling this? AB had to provide her own financial backing for us to do this.

Edited by Dannie Boy

Sons of Struth lapping Kings words. 

Sons of Struth

1 hr ? 

"Listing will happen" with meeting arranged for the end of this week.

"The season tickets sales will not effect the budgets as if low then investors will put in shortfall"

These two quotes go against what some online will have us believe. Some claim a listing won't happen and fans are expected to pay all Kings "investment"

He reiterated he will invest "what ever it takes" and "increase spend" which he will fund if required as the club needs more staff due to having no scouting or youth department.

Some will winge "he hasn't put a figure in it" but those who actually listened to the full conference will know it will be whatever it takes over next three seasons.

We now have folk in charge who have the ability AND the desire to put money in without any need to realise their investment.

My understanding has not changed in the 18 months since he explained to me and others present that the club has three possible income streams, tickets, strips and TV money. As it stands we only have full money from one steam and that's tickets due to the fact the strip deal is stacked against us. Europe is the only way to get serious TV money and until the strip deal is sorted and the Euro TV money comes in the club does need fair investment.

A manager should be in with in the week and he also reiterated something we have said, some left the frame for the managers job as they didn't fancy a year in Championship.

King will be in Glasgow until at least Wednesday therefore I would expect inroads to be made in identifying the preferred candidate for the five on the shortlist.

What is this investment figure?

JamboHeriot

So to sum up: need serious investment, ticket sales; will do whatever it takes to build a strong squad; Rangers need to win the league. Any ordinary man on the street could see that the above are all necessary. If I was a bear I would not trust that guy for a second.

My understanding is that if they fail to win the league, they are pretty much f****d. Make it happen.

Jambof3tornado

Rangers new buzzword for 2015/16 ..............................."over-invest"

Over invest = Over spend

Same old same old.

No chat of development of young talent etc etc.

I hope they die

Again.

Warrant issued for the arrest of Lee McCulloch re speeding charges and non appearance at court

The Mighty Thor

So no new news really?

ST monies to fund everything with the 'investors' making up any shortfall? Sounds great.

I'll hazard a guess that the level of investment will be such that no 'extra' investment will be required.

He's a clever fecker is King. He talks in a way that is open to interpretation and never commits to hard numbers. The gullible masses will hoover that shite up as will the record and sun.

Spellczech

So no new news really?

ST monies to fund everything with the 'investors' making up any shortfall? Sounds great.

I'll hazard a guess that the level of investment will be such that no 'extra' investment will be required.

He's a clever fecker is King. He talks in a way that is open to interpretation and never commits to hard numbers. The gullible masses will hoover that shite up as will the record and sun.

Ridiculous view! Any free-thinker will tell you that Steve Jobs has communicated from beyond the grave that King was totally forthcoming with his funding plans and that the new transparency at Ibrox is there for all to see. Contradiction you say? Well I'll ignore that as your opinion only deserves critique not counter-critique!

So either Sevco spend big to win leaving our dear wee friends from Leith "financially cheated" again.

Or Sevco promise big but deliver little.

Win win. More popcorn please.

Edited by blairdin

The Gasman

Well, it certainly doesn't sound like he's considering an insolvency event, at least not as a deliberate strategy.

Does seem strange that with a business that's running at a loss, he made no mention at all of trying to reduce these losses, just that they'll keep funding them..!

"Over investing" in players that should stroll to a European place in the Premiership, in order to romp the Championship was pretty much the strategy for their season just passed - and how did that end for them again..?

He just comes across as if he hasn't actually got any strategy at all, just hope money becomes available, and that he can throw enough of it at Ibrox to make the problems go away....

:blink:

Sounds like they are flailing.

:2thumbsup:

From what has been posted today it appears to me that:

They seem to have set the budget at ?12-13 million from season ticket sales. If this is not achieved the 3 pears will make up the shortfall.

The income from merchandise will help. How this can be any meaningful amount with Mashley making possibly 90+% of income is unclear.

No meaningful TV income until they get back to the CL. Good luck with that one

So all in all say ?20 million income for the season 2015-16.

The plan is to overspend in the short term to guarantee promotion to the top league.

Season 2016-17 they will begin to look at the footballing structure and go from there.

I can see absolutely nothing possible going wrong with this ground breaking/ never been tried by any of their various previous incarnations .

They are only a couple of seasons away from taking the CL by storm, make no mistake.

The biggest thing rangers can do to sort themselves out is no hire a blithering idiot to be their next manager. We really shouldnt have won the league last season and McCoists ineptitude went just as far as Robbie and Craigs efficiency into making it happen

Phil D. Corners

From Richard Wilson's timeline (read from bottom up):

King: potential managers dropped out when club failed to get promotion

King: who is Mark Wotte?

King: we are going to increase running costs and investors will provide funding to cover that for three years.

King: at end of three years club needs to be sustainable

King: mandate is to get players whom could perform in the Premiership, to greatly reduce risk for next season

King: we are not going to be irresponsible in terms of cost. Squad last year did not perform to level of Champ

King: it's overinvestment in terms of timing. We will accelerate investment, to bring players in earlier

We are@comfortable with the deal, I don't expect fans to buy merchandise in any greater numbers than they are

King: arrangement cannot be working for Sports Direct with 50,000 shirts being sold. Until we are confident enough to come to fans tonsay

King: we're asking fans to support & trust us. It's an awkward situation we find ourselves in, new exec team coming in, new management team

King: we have threw transfer windows to prepare for the top-flight and improve the squad

King: we have a board that fans can trust, investors have put money in and fans can be co-investors

King: we have started process of engagement with Sports Direct

King: funding plan is to spend what it takes to go up and be competitive in top-flight

King: I will invest, but so will others

King: we will need money now to beef up squad. Players to be competitive in Premiership, so substantial investment in next months

King: here to rebuild club for a longer period of time, but business risk of staying in Champ is lower

King: need to win the league, so right to over-invest to have strong squad, so investment process acceleratwd

King: not looking for director of football. Don't have squad situation that allows that. Need to get manager in who can coach

King: 11 players have gone out, so substantial rebuilding required with level of player to compete in Champ and Prem

King: no favoured managerial candidate just now. Can't see process being completed by Fri. Five realistic candidates. Next week more likely

King: we will honour or contractual obligations re McCoist

King: relisting process could take three to four mobtbs

King: I've not spoken to Warburton, but a committee bas

King: Stuart McCall is still a candidate. Hope to make an announcement within a week

King: club has made progress re manager. Frustrating it has taken longer than club would have liked, but play-offs has to be decided

His comments out predictable. He might of passed the FPP test, but reading the above makes me wonder if he would pass a Turing test.

Big Slim Stylee

If only 1 decent journo had said

"Wait a minute Dave, Hearts didn't "over invest" to win the championship by the margin they did last season. Why do Sevco in your opinion need to ?.

I suspect because he wants to infer to all gullible bears that they will have a super-duper team ready to challenge the bhoys as soon as they gallup to promotion next season.....

Jambo-Jimbo

If only 1 decent journo had said

"Wait a minute Dave, Hearts didn't "over invest" to win the championship by the margin they did last season. Why do Sevco in your opinion need to ?.

That's the gist of it Farin, it's the same old, same old, we'll just spend our way out of the problem.

Isn't it good to know that Rangers have learnt nothing from the past and will never ever learn anything with the mentality that King has.

And the bears will lap it all up.

Tick Tock, Tick Tock.

I P Knightley

Quite!

I know your tongue's in your cheek but it actually sounds as if he's planning to do a "Rangers" (as in the Rangers from the last three seasons). Why mess a winning formula :biglaugh:

we are going to increase running costs and investors will provide funding to cover that for three years.

I love the idea of a business that's running a monthly loss - reported to be in the region approaching ?1m - announcing that it will increase running costs. I had to check that a couple of times to be sure that my eyesight hadn't gone. 

The man's an arse.

Long may he have the reins of Rangers!

What's happened to the "going concern" he presented to the SPFL? None of this waffle sounds anything like a going concern it's more wishful thinking.

What's the betting any "cover" provided by the "investors" will be in the form of loans. He's not putting a single rand in!

Riccarton3

Shouldn't the fans now boycott season tickets until they see investment from king?. Let him put the anticipated shortfall in first.before committing: it would be a positive gesture from king, surely?

Edited by Riccarton3

That may be true of the posters in question but both claiming they were right with no evidence to back either up was even more tragic.

all will be revealed

it is very unclear - certainly lots of challenges for the Rangers

it will help them if they can resolve everything

20 years I'd say

So they are going to throw money at players to come in and win them the Chamionship, Old Rod must be thanking his lucky stars he was part of the group that voted King in as a FPP and possibly consigned them to a third year in the championship.

cool

yes Hibs need a bigger league (14 or 16) to avoid being in championship again in 16/17

Hard to bet against Rangers winning league though I understand those thinking they could still struggle

I know your tongue's in your cheek but it actually sounds as if he's planning to do a "Rangers" (as in the Rangers from the last three seasons). Why mess a winning formula :biglaugh:

I love the idea of a business that's running a monthly loss - reported to be in the region approaching ?1m - announcing that it will increase running costs. I had to check that a couple of times to be sure that my eyesight hadn't gone.

The man's an arse.

Long may he have the reins of Rangers!

Needs a really good manager and players

never a guarantee

but opposition might be weaker than we think - Hibs may have peaked last season, Queens have been gutted etc etc etc

finances still seem dodgy though

• Maple Leaf locked this topic