depression

chester copperpot

All of this thread and posts sad though they are show what a great place Kickback can be sometimes

Aplace to get things of your chest and a place to get some welcome advice and reassurance. 

Take care and keep looking after each other Kickback

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

21 hours ago, Sharpie said:

I have suffered numerous family deaths, but without a doubt my wifes was the most trying. It started with a couple of what seemed unusual but simple falls. She had a third one and again went to emergency was checked and released. At 2.30am we got a call that a doctor had reexamined all her x rays and she had suffered strokes. Detained in hospital for three weeks, when finally she pressed for an answer the surgeon told her the options, and the surgery had a 50% chance of survival, followed by heavy radiation.  She was further advised that she had a cancerous brain tumour, and two months and probably less to live. It was traumatic for both, but we both agreed to miss the surgery and take the two months, she actually lasted three weeks.

I repeat the telling of my tale to assure you that you are not different nor are you weak. It is hell, it is cruel, , you will sink to the lowest you have ever felt, but believe me, it is recoverable. I am now into about eighteen months without my wife of sixty years, things get better every day, I talk to her I don't care if I am daft, I am sure you have people to talk to I only had my son but I had this very forum and the fantastic members who gave me support. Take it from me that black hole you see does disappear, its not easy but it is doable, the old saying time heals, is absolutely true, so if you don't mind me offering advice, accept your grief without shame, but restore your faith and strength for the woman you loved and lost, because just as I with my wife that is what she would have wanted from me and I know she is happy for me that I have.

I love you, Bob. x

17 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

Such a beautiful post Sharpie, you are a true gentleman. Also the advice in this post is spot on 

for @The Future's Maroon, I can only imagine what you are going through right now but as Sharpie said keep talking, things will get harder and harder from here but there’s always someone to share your grief with and sometimes in the most unexpected of places, stay strong for you and the family, and if any time you need someone anonymous to talk to then me and plenty others here will be happy to help with that. 

all the best TFM 🇱🇻❤️🇱🇻

You’ve written a beauty there, JT. 👍

If you don’t mind me saying so, you are an excellent purveyor of the English language.

I very much applaud you.

Morgan

34 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I love you, Bob. x

You’ve written a beauty there, JT. 👍

If you don’t mind me saying so, you are an excellent purveyor of the English language.

I very much applaud you.

Morgan

Thank you Morgan 👍🏻 

22 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I’m probably going to bore some with this post but please bear with me…I was going to look for another thread about Cancer but that’s not what I am worried about, it’s depression so this is relevant.

Some folk on here know who I am personally (real life / off JKB) and this will be the first they hear of this.

I have contributed to this thread years ago when I went through serious depression, including attempting to top myself because it was that bad or I thought so at the time.

That was a long time ago and I beat it, I love helping others through the dark days but I fear my will return.

I met a girl, online dating does work! We met about five yrs ago and chatted for ages before finally meeting and from there it was ‘love’, it got stronger and this girl just got me.

We started dating and within a year I moved from Edinburgh to Fife to live with her and her four kids (7,8,14&16). We get on great…apart from the teens being teens - just like I was at that age…a wee t!t (so I know what to pull them up for)?!

Well shit turned bad last Jan (2021), at the age of 43 my other half suffered a stroke, she recovered and we got through that but due to the medication she was on and problems that arose it was then discovered she had Cancer, she fought through last year and went through chemo and radiation therapy which I can only describe as pure hell….all the while I continued to work full time and run the house, look after her and the kids….we all beat it in Oct 2021 when told it was gone.

So we thought, in early Jan 2022 we found out it was back, so now she was to go for a major operation, which would include plastic surgery and a colostomy bag for the rest of her life….we all accepted that and we’re dealing with this new blow to life…until shit got worse last Friday.

Not missing a hole in the heart has been detected and required a major op too

We were informed the operation was cancelled because it has now spread to her liver and possibly one lung, also informed it is incurable and given the timescale of 20-24 months.

I can only use the word devastating as it’s all I can think of, this poor woman will not get to see her kids grow up, they lose their mum and of course there is me too, but I’m bottom of that list and I accept that.

What is scary for me is I know I will lose her, the kids, who will go to their dads (top bloke to be fair) and probably lose my home as it’s a Council house in her name.

I have to now do the ‘be strong’ for her, the kids etc knowing the final outcome, become a carer and basically watch her slowly die.

I have already started thinking I will not go on once this happens, I can’t and won’t be able too.

Posting this on here is NOT a cry for sympathy as I know the crack, am not an idiot and this is a ‘empty’ place to put out my feelings, I have struggled to talk and tonight I have managed to put out my fears…I don’t want to go back to that dark place, I know it’s coming but I don’t know if I can cope…but I will try, I will do all I can but the fear is real I won’t cope and decide enough is enough? 

Sorry for the long post, I haven’t been able to talk to anyone, mates or family so felt I could put it here as it’s an open place to let out and no-one knows me (some do)

Reading this and I’m absolutely devastated for you all. Stay strong for your partner and all the very best to you all. 

The Future's Maroon
On 12/02/2022 at 22:58, Irufushi said:

Reading this and I’m absolutely devastated for you all. Stay strong for your partner and all the very best to you all. 

Thanks bud, and to all with your kind comments, both myself and the other half broke the news on Facebook for everyone we know to find out the news, the response is not what I was expecting….there are so many lovely people in the world, sometimes you forget that, I have been reminded on here and social media

Also thank you to the PM’s I have had.

Edited by The Future's Maroon

hisnameisdrewbusby
15 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Thanks bud, and to all with your kind comments, both myself and the other half broke the news on Facebook for everyone we know to find out the news, the response is not what I was expecting….there are so many lovely people in the world, sometimes you forget that, I have been reminded on here and social media

Also thank you to the PM’s I have had.

I'm not going to try and repeat the brilliant message from Sharpie, but want to recognise the amazing mental strength it took you post what you did and to say that there is chat too be had beyond JKB too.  The guys at The Changing Room support each other through thick and thin so if you ever need another outlet, you can connect with more guys who've suffered major illness, bereavement and mental health issue - it works because they truly understand folk who have had the same dark thoughts as themselves.  From what you said, you would find it near impossible to come to face-to-face group meet ups at Tynie, but the guys have got an active WhatsApp group too. If there's any chance this could be of any help, just pm me or email [email protected]  You can see a bit more here The Changing Room | Big Hearts

Dougie

The Future's Maroon
1 hour ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

I'm not going to try and repeat the brilliant message from Sharpie, but want to recognise the amazing mental strength it took you post what you did and to say that there is chat too be had beyond JKB too.  The guys at The Changing Room support each other through thick and thin so if you ever need another outlet, you can connect with more guys who've suffered major illness, bereavement and mental health issue - it works because they truly understand folk who have had the same dark thoughts as themselves.  From what you said, you would find it near impossible to come to face-to-face group meet ups at Tynie, but the guys have got an active WhatsApp group too. If there's any chance this could be of any help, just pm me or email [email protected]  You can see a bit more here The Changing Room | Big Hearts

Dougie

Thanks very much Dougie, I’ll keep this in mind too👍🏼

• 3 months later...
Konrad von Carstein

Thought long and hard about posting on this thread and finally,  here I am.

Been signed off since early February, lot of unconnected stuff, sibling strife, Covid and various other things including Mrs KvC being subject to bullying at work and also being signed off a few times over the last couple of years just finally got to me.

I have never felt such desolation and hopelessness before in my life.

It was almost physically painful.

Anyway, I'm in a far better place now thanks to a superb GP.

Not sure where I'm going with this but if you'd said to me 12 months ago that I'd be a fragile emotional wreck right now I'd have laughed long and hard.

Have had fantastic support from wife,  daughter, friends and employer,  I'm just about ready to get back to work and strangely, I'm looking forward to getting back to normallity.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Been signed off since early February, lot of unconnected stuff, sibling strife, Covid and various other things including Mrs KvC being subject to bullying at work and also being signed off a few times over the last couple of years just finally got to me.

Not sure where I'm going with this but if you'd said to me 12 months ago that I'd be a fragile emotional wreck right now I'd have laughed long and hard.

Have had fantastic support from wife,  daughter, friends and employer,  I'm just about ready to get back to work and strangely, I'm looking forward to getting back to normallity.

Great to see you've got through the difficulties and looking forward to getting back to normal. 

All the best for you and your family's future. 

13 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Konrad von Carstein
6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Great to see you've got through the difficulties and looking forward to getting back to normal. 

All the best for you and your family's future. 

Thanks its appreciated.

Just now, otterjohn said:

Its a horrible bloody illness but your story hopefully gives a bit to others that there can be a bit of help if you ask I really pray that things continue to be better for you

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Wow!

You always appear to be such a cheery chap on here, funny too.  I’m so sorry to hear this from you, but, in equal measure am delighted at the positivity of your post.

Take good care, man.

Morgs x

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Sorry to hear about your struggles, Konnie, but glad to hear about the bit in bold, and hope things go well.

Thanks man, it's appreciated.

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Wow!

You always appear to be such a cheery chap on here, funny too.  I’m so sorry to hear this from you, but, in equal measure am delighted at the positivity of your post.

Take good care, man.

Morgs x

Cheers Morgs

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Best wishes to you, KvC.

rudi must stay

Not an easy thing to live with it is like a cloud that follows you around and nobody wants to be around you that's what its like for me

il Duce McTarkin
18 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

All the best, Konrad. 👍

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Thanks to all for the kind words.

It's much appreciated.

KvC

Glad to hear your on the mend and getting back to your  savage best  :) 

jack D and coke
23 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Like others have said you didn’t come across that way at all. Always pretty witty and sensible posts and shows you that you just don’t know how people are really doing. 
Good to hear you’re getting back to health man. 

On 05/06/2022 at 21:17, Konrad von Carstein said:

Glad you are doing better and that you have a good GP, that makes a world of difference. 

Just to follow up on you describing an almost physical pain, I just wanted to point out that depression can actually cause physical manifestations to occur, like bad muscle aches for example.
If you have anxiety, (often that can be a trigger for depression or also present with depression), the effect of the excess adrenaline from being in fight or flight mode for too long/too can wreck digestion and cause stomach issues. 

Sharing this as if someone with depression isn't aware of the connection, they could feel even worse when they recognize not feeling at their best mentally and then think, 'oh great now I'm falling apart physically' and feel even less hopeful. 

Getting some control over the anxiety or depression with the right help can mitigate those symptoms, though.  Hoping this might help someone who wasn't maybe aware of the link between mental and physical symptoms. 

Best of luck for continued improvement and better times. :)    

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Glad you are doing better and that you have a good GP, that makes a world of difference. 

Just to follow up on you describing an almost physical pain, I just wanted to point out that depression can actually cause physical manifestations to occur, like bad muscle aches for example.
If you have anxiety, (often that can be a trigger for depression or also present with depression), the effect of the excess adrenaline from being in fight or flight mode for too long/too can wreck digestion and cause stomach issues. 

Sharing this as if someone with depression isn't aware of the connection, they could feel even worse when they recognize not feeling at their best mentally and then think, 'oh great now I'm falling apart physically' and feel even less hopeful. 

Getting some control over the anxiety or depression with the right help can mitigate those symptoms, though.  Hoping this might help someone who wasn't maybe aware of the link between mental and physical symptoms. 

Yes there’s no doubt a strong link between mental health issues / illness and physical health issues . 

30 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

That’s a very interesting post there, Gizmo.  👍

I would never (without some research) have coupled anxiety/depression with physical symptoms.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

That’s a very interesting post there, Gizmo.  👍

I would never (without some research) have coupled anxiety/depression with physical symptoms.

I'm not sure that it was always thought to be linked, but there has been a lot of research into the gut microbiome and suggestions that a bad stomach can trigger depression as a consequence of the malfunctioning gut. 

Surprisingly to me at least, we have neurons in our guts (as an irrelevant aside, that collection of 500 million neurons is higher than that found in the brains of cats;  300 million or dogs).
Also our adrenal glands are on top of our kidneys and known to affect the stomach (possibly deliberately, if you vomit or crap yourself it may attract a predator you need to run from instead of pursuing you).

The chap who did some group CBT that I attended had an operation on his stomach which was likely caused by him suffering extreme anxiety. I've had issues with my own stomach - there is definitely a link here. 

There's a growing body of evidence that has some experts in the field believe depression can be caused by physical issues in turn affecting the mind (as opposed to the other way of mental issues in turn causing physiological effects on the body). I guess the body & mind are part of a whole, though of course its only part of the reasons. One evolutionary reason is that it was the twitchiest of our ancestors who didn't die from predators or attacks by other tribes in the past - so we inherited their twitchy genes and that highly tuned fight or flight mechanism that we rarely need in modern life. 

Anyway, don't mean to divert the thread - just hope some of this stuff helps folk. 

JudyJudyJudy

Whilst there is a link between physical and mental well being one has to be careful really by suggesting one may cause the other . I recall being slightly miffed with my meditation guru at a group I attended when she suggested that my arthritis might be due to mental health stresses ! Felt like victim blaming really . Physical illnesses can stem from a variety of reasons . She was rather hippie dippy mind you ! 

rudi must stay
On 07/06/2022 at 00:12, JamesM48 said:

Whilst there is a link between physical and mental well being one has to be careful really by suggesting one may cause the other . I recall being slightly miffed with my meditation guru at a group I attended when she suggested that my arthritis might be due to mental health stresses ! Felt like victim blaming really . Physical illnesses can stem from a variety of reasons . She was rather hippie dippy mind you ! 

Meditation is the answer to all your problems my friend. I am aligned to wherever the sun is 

8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Medication  is the answer to all your problems my friend. I am aligned to wherever the sun is 

FTFY 👍

38 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

What are you on Morgan? Does el vino flow 

I’m always on happy pills, Rud.  👍

It takes a lot to upset, anger or depress me.  I think it’s not worth it, as life is too short.

No, I don’t drink much wine, but love a few beers and some Cava/Prosecco.

How about yourself?

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’m always on happy pills, Rud.  👍

It takes a lot to upset, anger or depress me.  I think it’s not worth it, as life is too short.

No, I don’t drink much wine, but love a few beers and some Cava/Prosecco.

How about yourself?

I enjoy a beer, Leffe and Beck's 

37 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I enjoy a beer, Leffe and Beck's 

Leffe is a great choice, stronger than your average lager, but really lovely.

12 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Doctors appointment Wednesday time to own them 

Can I ask, are you genuinely going in to obtain help for a health condition? 

An adversarial approach to health carers sounds counterproductive. 

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Can I ask, are you genuinely going in to obtain help for a health condition? 

An adversarial approach to health carers sounds counterproductive. 

It is exactly what they deserve 

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Doctors appointment Wednesday time to own them 

Call me naive, but, is going there with an inquisitorial or confrontational manner aforethought, actually a good idea?

This, and once again it’s only my opinion, could make matters worse in their attitude towards you.

rudi must stay
28 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Call me naive, but, is going there with an inquisitorial or confrontational manner aforethought, actually a good idea?

This, and once again it’s only my opinion, could make matters worse in their attitude towards you.

To be honest mate I am not versed in the art of diplomacy so I'm not bothered. I'm going with my parents they'll say thanks I wont, they have been absolutely rubbish and that's putting it kindly. 

rudi must stay
34 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Inquisitorial is an idea so youve helped me have you haha cheers for it 

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Just reading the suicide thread there on the first page so thought it was important to bump this back up to the 1st page.

Good shout mate

This thread has helped me in the past and I'm sure it's helped others too. 

On 16/02/2022 at 17:29, Morgan said:

Has anyone heard of, or tried, this stuff?

I’ve suffered from really painful upper arms and shoulders for about 9 months now.  It feels like what I can only describe as the same pain as a ‘frozen shoulder’.  Only certain movements bring it on and the intense pain only lasts about 15-20 seconds.

Our friends sent me a box of sachets of CBD Cream which is Cannabis based.  I’ve only used it three times so far and the improvement is remarkable.

How can rubbing this Cream in after a shower cause such a dramatic improvement?

I’d be pleased to read any opinions on this cream.

Thanks

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I haven't as I think they may counter act with my meds ?  Not sure where to get them either ! 

Have you tried the cream, James?  See my post (above).  

I was given it by a friend, back in February.  It was really relaxing.

• 1 month later...
rudi must stay

I believe when I get back to the flat I'll give the practice a phone speak to the doctor and ask him if his opinion about x-rays is on or off the record I think this would be a clever move

I must admit I'm happier these days these new pills I look in the mirror I look human again and that's a development it's changing how people see me

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Sorry to hear this . You said “ 7 years of misery “ , so I assume things were ok before then ? What happened to change things and can it be mended ? I try not to compare my life to others , grass is often greener on the other side . Your brother and his partner might appear happy but relationships can be deceptive . Concentrate on your happiness . 

I got a thing in my back. I was panned from doctor to doctor none of whom looked me in the eye. At the same time I had work experience with a boss who was very demanding. I tried my best with it and the antibiotics, I was told I needed some by some doctors not by others. My care was very poor and has left me a nervous wreck distrustful of all people

On 14/11/2022 at 02:10, rudi must stay said:

I got a thing in my back. I was panned from doctor to doctor none of whom looked me in the eye. At the same time I had work experience with a boss who was very demanding. I tried my best with it and the antibiotics, I was told I needed some by some doctors not by others. My care was very poor and has left me a nervous wreck distrustful of all people

Sorry to hear all this.  Is there someone you trust you can speak to. ? 

hisnameisdrewbusby
6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

This seems to be a good self-help, mental health peer support group for men. I am attending a talk about it next week.  Should be interesting. 

Who We Are | Andy's Man Club | Andy's Man Club (andysmanclub.co.uk)

Hope that goes well for you. Not sure what night Andy's is on, but there's also The Changing Room @ Big Hearts. We are starting a new 12-week course on Monday next week. 6pm, in The Shed under the Wheatfield Stand. Check out info here The Changing Room | Big Hearts, pm me or email [email protected]

8 minutes ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Hope that goes well for you. Not sure what night Andy's is on, but there's also The Changing Room @ Big Hearts. We are starting a new 12-week course on Monday next week. 6pm, in The Shed under the Wheatfield Stand. Check out info here The Changing Room | Big Hearts, pm me or email [email protected]

HI I am just attending a presentation about it. I'm not attending the club as such. Andys is on a Monday night too.  Thanks for the other info too. 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

hisnameisdrewbusby
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

HI I am just attending a presentation about it. I'm not attending the club as such. Thanks for the other info too. 

You're welcome.  I'm happy to explain Changing Room if you want to chat. Contact details as before or pm me your mobile no. and I can call just now or later this aftie.

There's no competition between Changing Room and Andy's - both are about helping men manage their mental health - just different set-ups that mean one might suit some guys more than the other.

rudi must stay

Just got a message from Edinburgh Live. An interesting development, alot of BS has been spoken about me. Maybe when I get back to the flat in a few months I'll contact them