Gary Mackay

jamborich

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last couple paragraphs are an embarrassment to what was once a good newspaper.

Most of that article's an embarrassment to journalism. Fair enough mentioning that someone accused of a crime has a locally well known father - but running a fekin biography on Gary? What the bloody hell's Airdrie replacing him with Stevie Archibald got to do with the case? :mad:

A dreadful piece of journalism - what does who a 24 years olds father have to do with anything. It merited a two paragraph piece somewhere in the middle of the paper and no doubt would have got that had it been a son of an ex Hibs player. There is little doubt that this particular rag has it in for anything or anyone remotely linked to Hearts.

Not that it makes it right, but what on earth was an old boy doing walking through clovie with ?11.5k in a bag......!?!

How did the owner of that stinkin' wee shop have a bag with ?11,000 in it?

I know its expensive, but good grief!

Can someone please explain how the journalist has actually turned a serious mugging story into a dig at Romanov?

The sooner the EEN passes away the vetter

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Here again is the article to minimise the amount of traffic they will get from the story and the linking it to Hearts...

By ALAN McEWEN - Crime Reporter

Published on Thursday 24 November 2011 12:07

THE son of Hearts legend Gary Mackay is facing trial for assault and robbery after a 72-year-old shopkeeper had a bag containing more than ?11,000 stolen in a daylight attack.

Ryan Mackay, 24, has denied robbing the pensioner in Clovenstone Park during an appearance at Edinburgh Sheriff Court last week.

Mackay was arrested by police investigating the mugging of Mahmud Amjad, who was allegedly attacked near to the Londis Convenience Store on February 7.

He has pleaded not guilty to charges of seizing hold of Mr Amjad?s bag, pushing him to the body causing him to fall to the ground, and robbing him of the bag which contained ?11,435.

Mackay, whose address was given in court as Colinton Mains Crescent, now faces trial for the alleged assault and robbery in February. He was arrested by police investigating the incident in March following a public appeal for information in the Evening News.

At the time, police said the victim had just left his store when a man approached him at around 11am, pushed him to the ground and stole the money before fleeing towards Harvesters Way. A police spokesman described the incident as ?a particularly nasty assault and robbery on an elderly male, who is well liked within the local community?.

A Crown Office spokesman confirmed Mackay would next appear in court on February 21.

Mackay was born in June 1987 while his footballer father was still at Hearts. His mother, Vicky Duff, was the ex-player?s former partner.

Gary Mackay, 47, played for Hearts between 1980 and 1997, and still holds the record for the most competitive appearances for the club with 640. He left the Tynecastle side in 1997 to play for Airdrie and later managed them for a season, but the club suffered severe financial problems and he was sacked to make way for Steve Archibald in July 2000.

Mackay, who picked up four international caps with Scotland, has since worked as an agent, representing players including Garry O?Connor, Christophe Berra and Lee Wallace. He also acts as agent for controversial Hearts defender Craig Thomson, who was recently convicted of sexual offences against two under-age girls.

In June, it was revealed that Mackay was considering legal action against Hearts after an astonishing online rant from the club.

Mackay was accused of being part of a mafia of ?crooks, criminals and thieves? in a statement issued by the club ? and sanctioned by owner Vladimir Romanov ? in the aftermath of the Thomson sex case.

The former midfielder, an occasional critic of Romanov, had been subject to public rants from the Tynecastle hierarchy before and had for the most part shrugged them off.

Decent lad who had fallen on tough times, he's trying to get his head right and is working nowadays :thumbsup:

Not that it makes it right, but what on earth was an old boy doing walking through clovie with ?11.5k in a bag......!?!

Probably walking to his car.

Decent lad who had fallen on tough times, he's trying to get his head right and is working nowadays :thumbsup:

We all go through tough times mate but he's a shite house for mugging old folk plain and simple,and other people who claim to be toilin don't have the luxury of a Colinton Mains address or an auld man whos a football agent and is certainly not skinto banko!

Nucky Thompson

It's amazing what ?11K can do for you....allegedly ;)

cheers speedo lets hope it works out for him :thumbsup:

Obviously entirely coincidental, but it is striking how many of Gary's relatives, clients and acquaintances have been in trouble with the law. :rolleyes:

We all go through tough times mate but he's a shite house for mugging old folk plain and simple,and other people who claim to be toilin don't have the luxury of a Colinton Mains address or an auld man whos a football agent and is certainly not skinto banko!

He doesn't stay in Colinton Mains, his dad's a ***** but robbing oap's isn't big or clever may I add.

So from the sounds of it you think he did it, despite the fact he has pled not guilty?

Sound :thumbsup:

He doesn't stay in Colinton Mains, his dad's a ***** but robbing oap's isn't big or clever may I add.

What I getting at was i'm sure if things were that bad i'm sure daddy would've gave him money for a bag of chips or something?:-P

What I getting at was i'm sure if things were that bad i'm sure daddy would've gave him money for a bag of chips or something?:-P

I know that bloke.

Some funny folk on this thread-not, does not fit to me knowing the lad plus the asian shopkeeper walking about with ?11k in a bag in broad daylight, a decent lawyer is what is required.

Some funny folk on this thread-not, does not fit to me knowing the lad plus the asian shopkeeper walking about with ?11k in a bag in broad daylight, a decent lawyer is what is required.

Also a pair of tights and a get away car!

Innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt in a Court of Law. It is however allowable based on the facts as released to form your own opinion as to guilt or innocence. What is criminal is the amount of ink spent on the father of the accused . Unless Gary was there assisting his son he does not deserve to be painted as some kind of accomplice because of his relationship to the accused. Surely a law abiding citizen is entitled to walk about with whatever sum of money he wants, whether it is in a paper bag, stuffed down his trousers or taped to his head. You would almost when reading some comments think the victim gained his money by improper means. As a parent and grandparent I have every sympathy for the father, such occurrences and allegations I am sure must be devastating to a parent.

Nucky Thompson

Asian shopkeepers always carry wads of cash. I've been stuck behind them a few times in Costco when they've bought all their alcohol and cigarettes in cash and it's fecking annoying! Some kind of tax dodge me thinks

Asian shopkeepers always carry wads of cash. I've been stuck behind them a few times in Costco when they've bought all their alcohol and cigarettes in cash and it's fecking annoying! Some kind of tax dodge me thinks

It's a cash business, why bother banking it when you can buy stock with it? It's avoiding bank charges. :thumbsup:

ToadKiller Dog

A lot of small businesmen often carry high amounts of cash on them when doing bank runs (depositing takings in the bank ). When i was in a job as a teenager sometimes i was sent to the bank loaded with a good bit of dough . Being an honest chap i was never tempted to do a runner .

Usually time of the bank run varied so it was harder for any would be thief to pinch .

I knew of a gold jewllery salesam who travels the length of the land with thounsands of gold in an old ruksak whos never been robbed .Looking at him you would have thought he was just some gadgy on a train .

I would say who ever mugged the old guy was either lucky or new he was loaded up with cash .

Innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt in a Court of Law. It is however allowable based on the facts as released to form your own opinion as to guilt or innocence. What is criminal is the amount of ink spent on the father of the accused . Unless Gary was there assisting his son he does not deserve to be painted as some kind of accomplice because of his relationship to the accused. Surely a law abiding citizen is entitled to walk about with whatever sum of money he wants, whether it is in a paper bag, stuffed down his trousers or taped to his head. You would almost when reading some comments think the victim gained his money by improper means. As a parent and grandparent I have every sympathy for the father, such occurrences and allegations I am sure must be devastating to a parent.

Bob, it's just the usual pathetic tabloid approach to anything.

I've been watching some of the interviews at the committee investigating phone hacking - and they are basically a bunch of, now let me see if I can find the right word - oh yes, got it!

Scumbuckets!!!

Ethics is another title for the probe - the media don't have that word in their vocabulary!!!

The fact your stuck in a queue isn't due to them paying cash, it's because they are buying a lot of stuff.

Paying cash is normally quicker than a debit/credit card or cheque, the exception being if it's a very large amount and they might have to call a supervisor, or if they drop all the change on the floor I suppose.

Nucky Thompson

The fact your stuck in a queue isn't due to them paying cash, it's because they are buying a lot of stuff.

Paying cash is normally quicker than a debit/credit card or cheque, the exception being if it's a very large amount and they might have to call a supervisor, or if they drop all the change on the floor I suppose.

Aye, there are two assistants and they count the wads of cash over and over. I think it would be easier and safer to swipe a card myself

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Lost count of the amount of times that I have been stuck behind a shop-keeper (Asian or otherwise) in THE BANK while they pay in lots of change though... That is feckin' annoying.

As for the tax-dodge bit... Is that not quite an assumption to make? :huh:

Nucky Thompson

As for the tax-dodge bit... Is that not quite an assumption to make? :huh:

Nah I don't think so. I can't think of any other benefit of carrying thousands in cash to the cash and carry. Everyone knows cash can be 'hidden' when it comes to business

Most of that article's an embarrassment to journalism. Fair enough mentioning that someone accused of a crime has a locally well known father - but running a fekin biography on Gary? What the bloody hell's Airdrie replacing him with Stevie Archibald got to do with the case? :mad:

And what has Craig Thomson got to do with it?

Gregory House M.D.

And what has Craig Thomson got to do with it?

Another innocent young man influenced by "The Agent".

Vlad knew.

Another innocent young man influenced by "The Agent".

Vlad knew.

It is interesting you say that because I joked about it at lunchtime.

Given it also mentioned Blackie, the EN is kind of painting that picture. Now given MacKay was raging when Vlad appeared to suggest this, will he have a go at the story in his next EN column or will he keep quiet since he is getting a few quid.

If it were me and I had the same opinion as MacKay about Vlad's comments then I wouldn't be happy. In fact I would not be anyway as the reporting is shocking.

Dealer IMO. :teehee:

Sheriff Fatman

That might be something to do with Costco not accepting credit cards.

Scumbag.

Ryan will be found not guilty!

That is a fact from someone who can see into the future so please stop debating something that is distressing for a lot of people.

Ryan will be found not guilty!

That is a fact from someone who can see into the future so please stop debating something that is distressing for a lot of people.

:cornette:

Thunderstruck

Innocent or not, it's beginning to look like the publicity will give him as much chance of a fair trial as one of his father's more newsworthy clients.

Nucky Thompson

That might be something to do with Costco not accepting credit cards.

I don't know about credit cards but they certainly accept debit cards

Archived