How are we so bad

tommythejambo

Never liked Sergio's way of playing, far too negative. Hearts in the 30 years i've been going have always been an attack-minded team, the sooner Sergio gets the boot the better. Romanov's an arse for letting Jefferies sign 4 players then before they've even settled in, he's oot the door. That's just bad management all round.

I hope Sergio walks very soon (like right now would be good) or gets the chop. The quality of player we have these days is far worse than anything we've had in all those years. Maybe if he got the job a few years back we might've seen a better product but no matter who comes in, they're working with largely lower SPL club players. Hopefully the new manager is attack-minded, we do have the players to play like that but with the usual defensive midfield and bombscare Zaliukas in the team we won't improve. I'd go as far as saying we'd do well to finish in the top 6 this year.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seymour M Hersh

WOULD YOU DO YOUR JOB WELL IF YOU WERE CONTINUALLY NOT GIVEN YOUR WAGES ON TIME

WOULD YOUR WORK PLACE BE HAPPY

Of course not. But s that the only reason for the last 10 years of poor play?

Seymour M Hersh

1. Bad manager,

2. mediocre poorly motivated highly paid players who get much more than they are worth

JJ or PS?

JJ? PS has brought no-one in remember.

I think we are seriously lacking in several areas, but the main one is in attack. Sutton played today, he started the game well then faded but while he held the ball up well he has no pace and I cant think of any of our forwards that have genuine pace. No one runs the channels and anytime we play a team who are defensive against us (which is the majority in the SPL) we struggle to break them down. We are also lacking in a midfielder who is willing to get beyond the strikers, a Colin Cameron type who can play simple one-twos with the forwards and cause a threat. Our distribution from the back is woeful which doesn't help, we rarely play the ball to our strikers feet.

We play better against the old firm because it suits us better to defend and hit teams on the break, when we have to go at a team we struggle.

I don't really see anybody in the current squad who could come in and give us more of a cutting edge.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we are that bad a side, we can dominate games in this league but with no real goal threat we'll be lucky to claim a european place.

kingantti1874

JJ or PS?

JJ? PS has brought no-one in remember.

PS , but for JJ it was time to move on... It of the players we have t out disposal I don't like the way PS goes about things... That said - today was better in terms of selection... Its just so eye bleedingly boring... And in this league... How bad are we?

I think we are seriously lacking in several areas, but the main one is in attack. Sutton played today, he started the game well then faded but while he held the ball up well he has no pace and I cant think of any of our forwards that have genuine pace. No one runs the channels and anytime we play a team who are defensive against us (which is the majority in the SPL) we struggle to break them down. We are also lacking in a midfielder who is willing to get beyond the strikers, a Colin Cameron type who can play simple one-twos with the forwards and cause a threat. Our distribution from the back is woeful which doesn't help, we rarely play the ball to our strikers feet.

We play better against the old firm because it suits us better to defend and hit teams on the break, when we have to go at a team we struggle.

I don't really see anybody in the current squad who could come in and give us more of a cutting edge.

Don't get me wrong I don't think we are that bad a side, we can dominate games in this league but with no real goal threat we'll be lucky to claim a european place.

I agree - but its not just the forwards. There is a general lack of pace in the side and there has been for quite a long time. Its so frustrating because we always seem to lose momentum with our counter attacks.

You couldn't fault the effort of the players today - and I thought we played quite well generally. We dominated the game and actually got in behind them quite a few times. The problem is that we really are lacking a cutting edge up front.

southside1874

If you had kids in school and didn't know where in the country you were likely to be living in January and you currently didn't know when you were likely to be paid I think your mind might not be 100% on your current job.

Thats the choices you make as a footballer. I know loads of folk who don't get a regular wage but still perform well at their jobs. I think we always have this problem when Vlad is involved with team selection and tactics.

southside1874

I agree - but its not just the forwards. There is a general lack of pace in the side and there has been for quite a long time. Its so frustrating because we always seem to lose momentum with our counter attacks.

You couldn't fault the effort of the players today - and I thought we played quite well generally. We dominated the game and actually got in behind them quite a few times. The problem is that we really are lacking a cutting edge up front.

Its always quite obvious what we are going to do.

We're not that bad. We're just SPL mid table mediocrity.

Look at the signings we made in the summer. Everyone on here got so enveloped in the idea that we were a big team that was taking all the best players from the SPL's wee teams that they didnt realise we were just picking up the pish from Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Motherwell who despite being seasoned pro's have acheived not a single thing of note between them in their careers apart from surviving a few relegation battles (or not in John Suttons case).

Add these players to a team made up of more experienced relegation candidates in Darren Barr and Ian Black then what can we really expect?

Just because Hears have the 3rd highest wage budget in the league (for now) it doesn't mean that we're spending it on players that are any good.

We're not that bad at all, just not very good.

Sergio's fault. He's tried to make us a team that we are not.He's attempted to make us a passing, keep the ball on the ground sort of team and we aren't, we never have been!

Toxteth O'Grady

Sergio's fault. He's tried to make us a team that we are not.He's attempted to make us a passing, keep the ball on the ground sort of team and we aren't, we never have been!

Correct, he is not suited to our players and not suited to Hearts and not suited to SPL football.

Drylaw Hearts

Correct, he is not suited to our players and not suited to Hearts and not suited to SPL football.

But he managed Sporting Lisbon so he must be good.

:sniff:

Fermit the Krog

He's attempted to make us a passing, keep the ball on the ground sort of team and we aren't, we never have been!

:blink:

He did initially.

Around 6 weeks ago that style was abandoned.

Fermit the Krog

But he managed Sporting Lisbon so he must be good.

:sniff:

He's better than he's showing us DH.

Regardless, he'll be gone soon.

:ninja:

Drylaw Hearts

He's better than he's showing us DH.

Regardless, he'll be gone soon.

:ninja:

We should have stuck with JJ for longer than 3 matches this season.

Fermit the Krog

Perhaps.

I think we we should have sacked JJ in March/April.

Opinions eh.

Drylaw Hearts

Perhaps.

I think we we should have sacked JJ in March/April.

Opinions eh.

That would have been ridiculously harsh.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

That would have been ridiculously harsh.

Harsher than having the manager down as useless after a handful of games in terrible conditions?

Anyway on the thread, we're going to get a lot worse over the coming months, better get used to it.

Drylaw Hearts

Harsher than having the manager down as useless after a handful of games in terrible conditions?

Anyway on the thread, we're going to get a lot worse over the coming months, better get used to it.

It would have been harsh considering we lost Kyle and VR signed another FBK'er instead of letting JJ find a proper replacement.

We then had the Kello incident.

JJ deserved more than 3 games this season to work with the squad he assembled. Especially since we drew 2 tough away matches.

On thread....

I've prepared my soul for us getting worse and finishing bottom 6.

Paulo Sergio is not the man to take this team forward.

It would have been harsh considering we lost Kyle and VR signed another FBK'er instead of letting JJ find a proper replacement.

We then had the Kello incident.

JJ deserved more than 3 games this season to work with the squad he assembled. Especially since we drew 2 tough away matches.

On thread....

I've prepared my soul for us getting worse and finishing bottom 6.

Paulo Sergio is not the man to take this team forward.

I agree he's not suitable for what's coming, he'll be off very soon I reckon. I dunno who is suitable though. Maybe someone like John Mcglynn. It doesn't make Sergio a bad manager though and I think with the right circumstances he could have been a success. I can't think of one manager who could have came in and had to deal with all this stuff and still produce a winning team.

The stuff on JJ is just blinkered pish. We were horrendous for the first few months of his stint and horrendous for the last few months. For about 10 games we were absolutely brilliant mainly due to Templeton having an amazing run of form which he's failed to get near since, and you can blame the Kyle situation all you want but he continued to play a system that only worked with Kyle despite every man and their dug knowing we had to change it.

Drylaw Hearts

I agree he's not suitable for what's coming, he'll be off very soon I reckon. I dunno who is suitable though. Maybe someone like John Mcglynn. It doesn't make Sergio a bad manager though and I think with the right circumstances he could have been a success. I can't think of one manager who could have came in and had to deal with all this stuff and still produce a winning team.

JJ ?

:)

The stuff on JJ is just blinkered pish. We were horrendous for the first few months of his stint and horrendous for the last few months. For about 10 games we were absolutely brilliant and you can blame the Kyle situation all you want but he continued to play a system that only worked with Kyle despite every man and their dug knowing we had to change it.

His options were limited imo.

Also...

Anyone who was at Ibrox on the opening day of the season could see our style that day was different from the previous season.

To sack a manager after only 3 matches of a season after allowing him to sign 4 players was crazy.

Libertonian_II

Nope.

The idea(JJ gone) was right, the timing was wrong. We got by last season with some exceptional performances from Kello, Skacel and Templeton.

These guys haven't been able to do it this season and the rest haven't been able to step up and make the difference.

We can't blame the performances on PS, he wasn't responsible for signing some of our excuses for football players

JJ ?

His options were limited imo.

Also...

Anyone who was at Ibrox on the opening day of the season could see our style that day was different from the previous season.

To sack a manager after only 3 matches of a season after allowing him to sign 4 players was crazy.

You would have also seen a defeat at home to Dundee Utd and a draw away to a Hungarian pub team then. JJ's time was up. We were so close to blowing a massive lead on Dundee Utd, it was only down to the fact they ran out of games that stopped that happening.

I agree with your last sentence re the signings though. Complete disaster. They'll all be away soon enough though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

If JJ was still in charge now, there would be calls for his head because we would be no better.

That said, it was bonkers to sack him when Vlad did.

Drylaw Hearts

Nope.

The idea(JJ gone) was right, the timing was wrong. We got by last season with some exceptional performances from Kello, Skacel and Templeton.

These guys haven't been able to do it this season and the rest haven't been able to step up and make the difference.

We can't blame the performances on PS, he wasn't responsible for signing some of our excuses for football players

PS is/was trying to get players to play a style they aren't capable of playing.

This is why JJ needed longer than 3 games - he needed more game time with the new players.

Drylaw Hearts

You would have also seen a defeat at home to Dundee Utd and a draw away to a Hungarian pub team then. JJ's time was up. We were so close to blowing a massive lead on Dundee Utd, it was only down to the fact they ran out of games that stopped that happening.

I agree with your last sentence re the signings though. Complete disaster. They'll all be away soon enough though.

A draw away from home in Europe is rarely a bad result.

The defeat to UTD was a typical after Europe result.

southside1874

Nope.

His knowledge of the Scottish game hasn't helped and I think it was expected that JJ would stay on. Sergio was brought in because he is more tolerant of owners intervening with team selection and style of play. I just can't get passed that this is Vlad picking the team and the tactics as its far too familiar.

Geoff Kilpatrick

PS is/was trying to get players to play a style they aren't capable of playing.

This is why JJ needed longer than 3 games - he needed more game time with the new players.

Agree, but do you really think results would have been different? The overpaid, mediocre, levels of pish in the squad resemble 2008, with fewer "Liths" being the only difference.

Drylaw Hearts

Kello playing or not playing had no effect imo

It was just another unwanted distraction though.

Do you think VR replacing Kyle with a player so bad he couldn't even make the bench had an effect ?

Geoff Kilpatrick

It was just another unwanted distraction though.

Do you think VR replacing Kyle with a player so bad he couldn't even make the bench had an effect ?

If Vlad had turned round and said, "Sorry, I can't afford it", you would have knocked him for that too DH.

Libertonian_II

His knowledge of the Scottish game hasn't helped and I think it was expected that JJ would stay on. Sergio was brought in because he is more tolerant of owners intervening with team selection and style of play. I just can't get passed that this is Vlad picking the team and the tactics as its far too familiar.

Absolutely nothing to do with knowledge of the Scottish game, everything to do with having to put up with previous managers poor signings

We're a ponderous and slow side, we attack teams like the tide rolls in, gradually building upto something before having to begin again. Not just slow in terms of movement, slow in the old noggin too.

I don't think the players that operate in the area of the pitch that matters can spot opportunities or even create their own. To me, it begins and ends with our sides movement with or without the ball.

I think we are easily marked and dealt with because the majority of our attacking players just don't move right or enough. They are too static when we have the ball and and don't have that knack of finding space in dangerous areas or losing their man and getting forward. Mrowiec, Black, Stevenson and Jonnson don't do this through not being capable or thats not their game. Skacel can but needs others around him and Templeton can too but finds spends his time trying to do too much and is out wide too.

Some energy and athleticism in the middle of the park is needed, people who never stay still and know that a ball 1 inch forward is worth more than 20 sideways along the center circle. It's hard to put together when you look at our squad but here's my thinking.

Kello

McGowan Zaliukas Webster Grainger

Novikovas Robinson Jonsson Driver

Skacel

Templeton

:woot:

It's always about Vlad with you.

As Geoff says you would have moaned if he had said were skint nobody is coming in.

Why not lay the blame at the door of the manager and his inability to change the way he set his team out?

Drylaw Hearts

Agree, but do you really think results would have been different?

I really don't know.

We didn't give him enough time with the current squad to make a fair judgement.

Drylaw Hearts

If Vlad had turned round and said, "Sorry, I can't afford it", you would have knocked him for that too DH.

Nope.

You'll be hard pushed to find a post from having a go at VR for not spending more money on recruiting players.

Drylaw Hearts

Absolutely nothing to do with knowledge of the Scottish game, everything to do with having to put up with previous managers poor signings

JJ was having to put up with other peoples poor signings also.

Drylaw Hearts

It's always about Vlad with you.

As Geoff says you would have moaned if he had said were skint nobody is coming in.

Why not lay the blame at the door of the manager and his inability to change the way he set his team out?

Why not blame VR for signing a CF that was of no use when JJ could have picked someone to fill KK's boots for a few months ?

St Johnstone 1-0 Hearts

Celtic 2 - 0 Hearts

Hearts 3 - 2 Falkirk

Hearts 2 - 0 Hamilton

Aberdeen 0 - 1 Hearts

Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Hearts

Motherwell 3 - 1 Hearts

Hearts 2 - Hibs 1

Hearts 1 - 4 Rangers

St Mirren 1 - 1 Hearts

13 points

Motherwell 1 - 0 Hearts

Hearts 3 - 0 Aberdeen

Killie 0 - 0 Hearts

Hearts 2 - 0 Hibs

ICT 1 - 1 Hearts

Hearts 2 - 0 St Mirren

St Jonhstone 2 - 0 Hearts

Hearts 2 - 0 Celtic

Dunfermline 0 - 2 Hearts

Hearts 0 - 2 Rangers

17 points

There is a wee comparison between JJ and the horrendous Paulo Sergios first 10 SPL games.

Both inherited struggling teams who didn't contain their own signings. One knew the SPL inside out.

Why not blame VR for signing a CF that was of no use when JJ could have picked someone to fill KK's boots for a few months ?

Who was that again?

Drylaw Hearts

St Johnstone 1-0 Hearts

Celtic 2 - 0 Hearts

Hearts 3 - 2 Falkirk

Hearts 2 - 0 Hamilton

Aberdeen 0 - 1 Hearts

Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Hearts

Motherwell 3 - 1 Hearts

Hearts 2 - Hibs 1

Hearts 1 - 4 Rangers

St Mirren 1 - 1 Hearts

13 points

Motherwell 1 - 0 Hearts

Hearts 3 - 0 Aberdeen

Killie 0 - 0 Hearts

Hearts 2 - 0 Hibs

ICT 1 - 1 Hearts

Hearts 2 - 0 St Mirren

St Jonhstone 2 - 0 Hearts

Hearts 2 - 0 Celtic

Dunfermline 0 - 2 Hearts

Hearts 0 - 2 Rangers

17 points

There is a wee comparison between JJ and the horrendous Paulo Sergios first 10 SPL games.

Both inherited struggling teams who didn't contain their own signings. One knew the SPL inside out.

This proves that JJ left behind a better team of players than he inherited.

Libertonian_II

JJ was having to put up with other peoples poor signings also.

He had the opportunity to partially redress that but failed. I'm hard pressed to think of any of his latter signings as being a success

This proves that JJ left behind a better team of players than he inherited.

Reported for trolling.

Interestingly, the team JJ inherited had won a game more recently than the team Sergio inherited.

:interesting:

And I'd also like your thoughts on how Sergio has his hands tied with the whole wages thing and the club going on sale seeing as you are using an injury to a injury prone striker JJ signed as an excuse for JJ.

Didn't he come from Kaunas? If he did it really cost us nowt.

Pointless this because regardless you will always lay the blame with Vlad.

Hate to say it, but i?m with Drylaw on this one.

JJ?s team form dipped because we had 3rd place tied up by xmas.

What we didn?t have was a replacement for KK.

I think this year the players would?ve done us a turn. Im just glad JJ isn?t here to have to deal with the "no wages paid" malarky.

What I would say is that if Vlad leaves us in a solvent state to new owners, he will be the single greatest thing ever to happen to Heart of Midlothian.

Drylaw Hearts

He had the opportunity to partially redress that but failed. I'm hard pressed to think of any of his latter signings as being a success

As the 4 were signed to play in a system JJ wanted it's difficult to judge them in a system they don't appear to be comfy with.

Archived