The only real alternative

gowestjambo

I discussed this subject some time ago, and received mixed reactions.

However, the fact remains that Romanov is now on his way with limited options to recoup some or indeed any money from this ill fated venture.

Regardless of what we hoped he would bring, we all now realise that his vision - or pockets will not support his initial aspirations.

This is not intended as an investigation of what he has actually achieved during his rein. I think it is apparent in the current economic climate that a multi millionaire is unlikely to appear as our new saviour!

Lets face it as a club we have under achieved for decades, and always thought if only we had a Millionaire backer we would finally achieve what we felt was our rightful place at the top of Scottish & European football!!

With the investment required in our ground, and our bloated wage bill we are not exactly a prime investment target!

Do we as fans have the commitment and determination to take over the club and run it as a proper business? (I have already assumed Vladimir Romanov is not going to get a mug punter to buy this loss making business and for him to recoup his losses) So to a great extent this is an academic exercise based upon what he would expect to receive as a price to sell the club.

We currently as far as we all know operate at a large loss every season. His business model is, even allowing for his eccentricities totally flawed. No business can spend more than it generates in income. The question is would we as fans be able to generate enough money to break even - or make money to improve the team?

On rough guidelines would we be able to commit 15,000 fans to pay ?20.00 per month over and above the Season Ticket prices to own Hearts?

20.00 per month (?5.00 per week) = ?240.00 per annum x 15,000 = 3.6 million per year. Would this cover the shortfall in income we currently have? (Bearing in mind we pay ridiculous sums for very average players)

Thoughts.........?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, the fact remains that Romanov is now on his way with limited options to recoup some or indeed any money from this ill fated venture.

Regardless of what we hoped he would bring, we all now realise that his vision - or pockets will not support his initial aspirations.

This is not intended as an investigation of what he has actually achieved during his rein. I think it is apparent in the current economic climate that a multi millionaire is unlikely to appear as our new saviour!

Lets face it as a club we have under achieved for decades, and always thought if only we had a Millionaire backer we would finally achieve what we felt was our rightful place at the top of Scottish & European football!!

With the investment required in our ground, and our bloated wage bill we are not exactly a prime investment target!

Do we as fans have the commitment and determination to take over the club and run it as a proper business? (I have already assumed Vladimir Romanov is not going to get a mug punter to buy this loss making business and for him to recoup his losses) So to a great extent this is an academic exercise based upon what he would expect to receive as a price to sell the club.

We currently as far as we all know operate at a large loss every season. His business model is, even allowing for his eccentricities totally flawed. No business can spend more than it generates in income. The question is would we as fans be able to generate enough money to break even - or make money to improve the team?

On rough guidelines would we be able to commit 15,000 fans to pay ?20.00 per month over and above the Season Ticket prices to own Hearts?

20.00 per month (?5.00 per week) = ?240.00 per annum x 15,000 = 3.6 million per year. Would this cover the shortfall in income we currently have? (Bearing in mind we pay ridiculous sums for very average players)

Thoughts.........?

i don't doubt the good intentions of the thread but this in bold is just fantasy.

And how would you organise the money?

How would you ensure it all went ok?

What if someone stopped payments?

How would you ensure all fans got an equal share?

What if someone wanted to put in twice as much, do they have twice the say?

What if only 13,000 are prepared? What happens then? Do they get their money back? Immediately?

How is the money secured?

I tell you what....you go first, and then I might join you :whistling:

not much evidence to suggest that fans ownerships works where conditions are good. we're in a bit of a abysmal situation without out russian oligarch.

just not viable.

What if only 13,000 are prepared? What happens then? Do they get their money back? Immediately?

OK, I'll go first - so that makes 2 of us already!

i don't doubt the good intentions of the thread but this in bold is just fantasy.

My first reaction too, but I was talking to a Brighton fan today and they have tripled their attendances. Maybe with the right combination of circumstances there are enough people out there. But 15,000 willing to commit ?20 a month?

That said, I would love it if Hearts could be a fan-owned club.

My first reaction too, but I was talking to a Brighton fan today and they have tripled their attendances. Maybe with the right combination of circumstances there are enough people out there. But 15,000 willing to commit ?20 a month?

[/quote

]List of fan-owned sports teams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We would not be alone..............

the very first thing would have to be severe haircut taken by UBIG on the debt.

i think a fans' trust could be involved in the ownership of the club but i imagine it would only be an ownership of about 10% or so. real money has to appear from somewhere. the figures simply don't add up for the support to buy out a club for even ?10M.

OK, I'll go first - so that makes 2 of us already!

Hah, nice :lol:

My point really was - nice intention, logistically - a nightmare.

Ownership needs a figurehead, to be the focus of responsibility.

It needs someone to be in charge.

Democracy is a nice idea, but also impractical at times - for example, how would decisions be made? by consensus? how long would that take?

Also diffusion of ownership needs to equal if widely distributed or people will feel excluded etc.

williamgerrard

Ive got connections with stirling albion due to being my home town team and there fans run the club and i belive there almost going bust so i would say its a bad idea to be honest.What i do fear is come jan we will lose alot of players wich will drop us down the table i hope im wrong

How would you ensure it all went ok? Fans would be required to agree to a 10 year contract

What if someone stopped payments? They would forfeit their right to own their share

How would you ensure all fans got an equal share? One vote per fan

What if someone wanted to put in twice as much, do they have twice the say? No see above

What if only 13,000 are prepared? What happens then? Do they get their money back? Immediately? Money would be held in trust thus ensuring protection

See above

?20 a month to Hearts.

GTF

Listen pal, if you dont want to pay a fiver a week to own your own share of the club, then I suggest you GTF

southside1874

Hearts would only become a fan owned club if it went into administration. I genuinely think clubs do react to fans and the fact that we still have decent attendances makes me think we are not too bothered about the way it has be run. The level of debt is/was a concern until UBIG took on the debt otherwise it has been interesting. IMO its also been a bit of an education in finance and how the media operate.

How would you ensure it all went ok? Fans would be required to agree to a 10 year contract

What if someone stopped payments? They would forfeit their right to own their share

What if someone wanted to put in twice as much, do they have twice the say? No see above

What if only 13,000 are prepared? What happens then? Do they get their money back? Immediately? Money would be held in trust thus ensuring protection

See above

are you aware of how much money was raked together for the save our hearts campaign?

it's fantasy mate, honestly. baps is right about the administrative nightmare as well. the admin would be a huge drain on resources alone.

sorry.

are you aware of how much money was raked together for the save our hearts campaign?

it's fantasy mate, honestly. baps is right about the administrative nightmare as well. the admin would be a huge drain on resources alone.

sorry.

are you aware of how much money was raked together for the save our hearts campaign? NO

Yes its better the way it is..........

are you aware of how much money was raked together for the save our hearts campaign? NO

Yes its better the way it is..........

well chief, you've been given credit for the sentiment from a few folk. there's no harm in asking about stuff like this. people aren't obliged to automatically agree with it though. you can't expect that to happen.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It may well have worked before the crash but twenty pounds a month now is a lot to find when other bills are mounting. We might see 5k at best willing to sign up. A shame but I can't see it working.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I tend to agree EVENTUALLY this would be a good option, possibly the only one. High finance isn't really my scene but I would imagine its not practical with current debt structure. Somehow we need to be manouvouered into a position where it could be a reality, but right now, things are dark

Barney Rubble

This idea would take geniune comittment by the fans over a sustained period of time and i would be doubtful if the numbers would be there to make it happen, on the other hand if Romanov was to reconsider refurbishing the old main stand i think he could do no better than the fans as partners in a venture to make it happen !

well chief, you've been given credit for the sentiment from a few folk. there's no harm in asking about stuff like this. people aren't obliged to automatically agree with it though. you can't expect that to happen.

I didnt - it was a question, I sometimes wonder whether the fans REALLY want success........

Its much easier to just do nothing...........

Charlie-Brown

I think the Germans & Dutch must love their football clubs more than we do? Fan/Member ownership is commonplace there with commercial ownership limited to 49% in the Bundesliga. Of course the fans don't decide the minute details and they have a board of professional director & managers to run the football club & business affairs but ultimately their are accountable to the members-fans and their counsel.

I tend to agree EVENTUALLY this would be a good option, possibly the only one. High finance isn't really my scene but I would imagine its not practical with current debt structure. Somehow we need to be manouvouered into a position where it could be a reality, but right now, things are dark

I take it you have not been watching how the Scots pioneered the world on BBC2?

No one ever said it was going to be easy............

I think the Germans & Dutch must love their football clubs more than we do? Fan/Member ownership is commonplace there with commercial ownership limited to 49% in the Bundesliga. Of course the fans don't decide the minute details and they have a board of professional director & managers to run the football club & business affairs but ultimately their are accountable to the members-fans and their counsel.

Well Charlie, I have to agree with you. We seem to be happy to moan rather take take action.

Is it really any wonder we under perform year after year?

Maybe the majority of our fans would rather accept the current situation than take action to change it...........

It may well have worked before the crash but twenty pounds a month now is a lot to find when other bills are mounting. We might see 5k at best willing to sign up. A shame but I can't see it working.

Are you suggesting our fans would not sacrifice a packet of fags per week, or a fish supper to see us challenge the old firm?

Charlie-Brown

Well Charlie, I have to agree with you. We seem to be happy to moan rather take take action.

Maybe the majority of our fans would rather accept the current situation than take action to change it...........

It's quite bizarre actually when you consider that many of our fans will be members of golf clubs and bowling clubs etc the vast majority of which are long standing organisations, member owned and self financing and for decades have been able to own and operate their sporting facilties and many own substantial and valuable tracts of land/property in Edinburgh & the Lothians.

If they care enough to play golf & bowls and pay a monthly or annual subscription then why not also for their fitba club of choice?

southside1874

The only way you would get the mass movement of fans to consider this is if there was an emergency. The only emergency would be administration.

southside1874

It's quite bizarre actually when you consider that many of our fans will be members of golf clubs and bowling clubs etc the vast majority of which are long standing organisations, member owned and self financing and for decades have been able to own and operate their sporting facilties and many own substantial and valuable tracts of land/property in Edinburgh & the Lothians.

If they care enough to play golf & bowls and pay a monthly or annual subscription then why not also for their fitba club of choice?

You do pay a subscription every time you go through the gate or buy a season ticket.

Charlie-Brown

You do pay a subscription every time you go through the gate or buy a season ticket.

Well exactly so would fans be willing to pay another fiver per month (or per week) in exchange for a stake in the club ownership?

I could not have put it better myself, rather than accept responsibility for an institution we talk about incessantly and rules over daily lifes - we would prefer to hand the responsibility to a raving lunatic?

I actually wonder if some fans really want success? (and if they do what price they are willing to pay?)

Too many only see the half empty glass............

Thoughts.........?

under one thousand put in money to buy shares under save our hearts.

?5.00 per week is not much to ask to save our club

The money you pay allows you to watch the game, not own the club..............

If you buy a Bus pass, you get to travel on the bus - not end up owning the bloody thing!

Can't see 15K fans @ ?20 per month. People are already being squeezed badly and the economy is poised to tank. I'd speculate the average salary of the average Jambo is less than ?20K per annum. Most with existing family and mortgage obligations ... or try telling the wife no summer holiday this year because its going to keep the JT's afloat. Good luck :whistling:

Worst case I'd opt for administration/points deduction, even relegation and start again over a period of years, provided we still had a stadium to play in. Theres the rub. I presume if Romanov/UBIG etc decide to cut and run, then they'll firesale every last asset to mimimise losses. As reduced an asset as it is, I presume theres still value in the land for any speculator willing to take a medium/long term punt on it.

under one thousand put in money to buy shares under save our hearts.

?5.00 per week is not much to ask to save our club

5 squid is not much but 20 a month x 12 is.

I would imagine that there are a lot of folk at stretching point with ticket money for themselves and kids. Strips/programs/food at the games.

I admire the OP but I honestly don't think we have the fan base numbers turning up every week to sustain what is asked.

Would be interested to read examples of other clubs who do this and how much they put in/what their fan base is.

Not a pop at the OP, as I said said, I do admire the positive thinking.

southside1874

Well exactly so would fans be willing to pay another fiver per month (or per week) in exchange for a stake in the club ownership?

Only if there was a crisis. Even in a crisis then it would only depend on no rich person with finances available wanting to take over the helm. It would only be acceptable to have fans owning the club this way if there was little alternative and the administrator was willing to accept this. In real terms Hearts would have to go bust and the fans would buy the name.

Can't see 15K fans @ ?20 per month. People are already being squeezed badly and the economy is poised to tank. I'd speculate the average salary of the average Jambo is less than ?20K per annum. Most with existing family and mortgage obligations ... or try telling the wife no summer holiday this year because its going to keep the JT's afloat. Good luck :whistling:

Worst case I'd opt for administration/points deduction, even relegation and start again over a period of years, provided we still had a stadium to play in. Theres the rub. I presume if Romanov/UBIG etc decide to cut and run, then they'll firesale every last asset to mimimise losses. As reduced an asset as it is, I presume theres still value in the land for any speculator willing to take a medium/long term punt on it.

It depends on your perspective, for a Fiver a week (if that is the actual figure) You can OWN a part of you team or,

Buy a Fish Supper

A Packet of Fags (not very good ones admittedly)

2 Bottles of Budweiser in a Bar

A Big Mac Meal

A Bottle of Cheap Wine

3/4 of a Gallon of petrol

do you think any of the above merit your hard earned money more than HEARTS?

southside1874

The money you pay allows you to watch the game, not own the club..............

If you buy a Bus pass, you get to travel on the bus - not end up owning the bloody thing!

You have to buy shares and the shares in Hearts are worthless at the moment. How do you propose buying the shares? If enough of you stand at the bus stop and the bus doesn't come do you chip in for a cab? Do you nominate a driver and buy a car?

?5 a week to have a share in my own club and rescue it from that nutcase Romanov? Its a no brainer! stop pretending you are all financial experts and get a grip! Its our club and this MIGHT be a chance to have a bit of influence! worth exploring further imo

Only if there was a crisis. Even in a crisis then it would only depend on no rich person with finances available wanting to take over the helm. It would only be acceptable to have fans owning the club this way if there was little alternative and the administrator was willing to accept this. In real terms Hearts would have to go bust and the fans would buy the name.

With respect if you don't think we are in a crisis, then what are we in?

Why should we be on the brink of oblivion to think about a better way to finance the club?

If the majority of our fans are not prepared to put aside a fiver a week, we are NOT the BIG Team in any way.....

All roads lead to Gorgie

Are you suggesting our fans would not sacrifice a packet of fags per week, or a fish supper to see us challenge the old firm?

It is the long term commitment thing I can't see working. We witnessed a lot of fans coming out of the woodwork in Vlads first season when it looked like we had a chance of serious success but they have gradually drifted away. It would be hard to get the suggested 15k to commit long term and stay with it if quick success was not forthcoming.

Thoughts.........?

wheres he heading to?

You have to buy shares and the shares in Hearts are worthless at the moment. How do you propose buying the shares? If enough of you stand at the bus stop and the bus doesn't come do you chip in for a cab? Do you nominate a driver and buy a car?

I am not suggesting we buy the shares at their current value (they are only worth what Romanov thinks they are worth!) Every day that passes his liability increases - our ownership is totally dependant upon what he is prepared to accept to limit his losses.

I am not suggesting I have all the answers - I am exploring an opportunity that may present itself in the near future.

BTW Shares can go down as well as up, but they only ever realise their value when you need to sell them!

southside1874

With respect if you don't think we are in a crisis, then what are we in?

Why should we be on the brink of oblivion to think about a better way to finance the club?

If the majority of our fans are not prepared to put aside a fiver a week, we are NOT the BIG Team in any way.....

Well go and convince Romanov to write off the debt first and give us the stadium so we can invest in the future of Hearts and I'll chip in. I don't see being 5th in the league as a crisis mate. I honestly think we'll finish 3rd again. Sorry but I don't see this as a crisis.

wheres he heading to?

Who knows? but from his comments he no longer is committed to the club...........

Well go and convince Romanov to write off the debt first and give us the stadium so we can invest in the future of Hearts and I'll chip in. I don't see being 5th in the league as a crisis mate. I honestly think we'll finish 3rd again. Sorry but I don't see this as a crisis.

OK, everything is fine.

No crisis here - move along folks nothing to see.

(You are not the Greek Prime Minister in disguise are you?)

Who knows? but from his comments he no longer is committed to the club...........

from the comments ive read he will continue to invest in the youths etc,hasnt lost interest in hearts but has in scottish football...i cant remember everything he said but pretty sure he said he wasnt doing one...its threads like this that the press love totally bloody stupid

OK, everything is fine.

No crisis here - move along folks nothing to see.

(You are not the Greek Prime Minister in disguise are you?)

your not chick dung in disguise are you??

See above

If someone missed 1 payment due to being made redundant, but had paid hundreds into the scheme. Money that was already spent.

Would they forfeit their rights to be a part owner too?

What if it was a choice between paying for their ST and your cash?

from the comments ive read he will continue to invest in the youths etc,hasnt lost interest in hearts but has in scottish football...i cant remember everything he said but pretty sure he said he wasnt doing one...its threads like this that the press love totally bloody stupid

OK actions speak louder than words.

At what point recently have you been led to to believe he is committed to Hearts long term? He is the owner who has sanctioned this ridiculous expenditure. Do you think all his companies spend more than they earn?

Is this the basis on how we go forward in the future?

Would you appoint him as Managing Director to run your company?

Archived