The Official Scotland v Spain match thread

The Merse

Scotland remain unchanged for the match tonight.

McGregor

Hutton Caldwell Berra Bardsley

Fletcher Adam

Morrison Naismith Bannan

Mackail-Smith

Every time I dare to dream I just look at that defence and think there is no way we will not concede a couple.

Berra & Caldwell are absolutely nowhere near good enough for International football, let alone against Spain.

:(

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jack D and coke

Yeah barring a big favour from Lithuania it's over tonight.

I think the Czech's might pump them too though.

Win today, and I'll forgive Costa Rica in 1990 and Morocco in 1998. On behalf of my Dad, I'll forgive Iran and Peru in 1978. On behalf of my son, I'll forgive future defeats to Vanuatu and Vatican City. I'll forgive draws with the Faeroes, collapses vs. Georgia, Moldova, Lithuania and Macedonia, humpings by Portugal and Holland, & hard-luck losses to Brazil, England and Italy. I'll even forgive that awful purple-flash away strip. And only giving John Robertson 16 caps. Oh, and I'll stop using the phrases 'glorious failure' and ?typical Scotland'.

C'mon, get intae them.

It was over when that Czech penalty went in.

The Czechs will beat Lithuania, and if there's anyone out there who thinks Spain will not finish the group with maximum points, I'd like a toke please.

I predict that the three countries going into the last fixture with maximum points (Spain, Germany and Holland - not at all coincidentally the three best teams in Europe) will all win their last games despite being up against opponents who are desperate for points. Germany vs Belgium (ESPN 6pm) could be an absolute belter of a match.

There are only two guarantees, that by page 3 of this thread:

1) Scotland will be well beaten

2) The conversation will have veered off with the usual suspects thrapping one out whilst they tell us how much they hate the Scottish national team/SFA/Old Firm/insert boring clich? excuse.

Though I would like to be proved wrong on both counts, I just can?t realistically see it happening.

Spain 3 - Scotland 0

Lithuania 1 - Czech Rep 2

We are getting better though and if it wasn't for a disgraceful referereeing performance a few weeks back we'd be in the play-offs already. :angry:

No. If it weren't for Levein's bizarre tactics in Prague then we'd be sorted.

Had we drawn in Prague we would be there already as Czech Republic would be 4pts behind us.

Had we gone out and had a go we may well have been horsed, but getting whipped 4-0 is the same as a 1-0 whimper.

That's the result and performance we should be pointing our fingers at, not crap refereeing.

Had we drawn in Prague we would be there already as Czech Republic would be 4pts behind us.

Had we gone out and had a go we may well have been horsed, but getting whipped 4-0 is the same as a 1-0 whimper.

That's the result and performance we should be pointing our fingers at, not crap refereeing.

Yep, if results don't go our way tonight that's where the fingers should be pointing, that and a failure to beat Lithuania in Kaunas.

Luckily for Levein that penalty award will act as a perfect smokescreen to hide those more damaging results.

I fancy the Czechs to rush into an early 2 goal lead.

Us to be holding out at 0-0 for a while, miss a golden opportunity then run out 2-0 losers.

:down:

Never mind the score the guys are getting good weather its in the high twenties today lol.

Grumpy. :thumbsup:

Yep, if results don't go our way tonight that's where the fingers should be pointing, that and a failure to beat Lithuania in Kaunas.

Luckily for Levein that penalty award will act as a perfect smokescreen to hide those more damaging results.

That would be unfortunate, given that duff refereeing actually prevented the Czech Republic going in at least a goal to the good at half-time with Scotland possibly down to ten men. Agree with those who are saying that our woes can be traced back to that dreadful, craven performance in Prague.

Chad Sexington

Why does everyone seem to assume that if Levein had played with strikers we would have automatically taken something from that match?

I'm not defending that formation for one second, I thought it was a disaster at the time, but playing with strikers would have guaranteed us nothing.

The facts of the matter are that a woeful couple of last minute penalty decisions have put Scotland where they are now.

This!!

The buck stops with Clark Kent for the poor result in Lithuania and the plain ridiculous system in Prague. These are the results that have cost us, not dodgy penalty decisions and other nations sending out weakened teams.

Whilst I agree fingers should be getting pointed at Levein also (as I think we have been very poor throughout), the fact of the matter is that penalty decision has stopped us being in a playoff.

It's pretty sickening.

Chad Sexington

Whilst I agree fingers should be getting pointed at Levein also (as I think we have been very poor throughout), the fact of the matter is that penalty decision has stopped us being in a playoff.

It's pretty sickening.

Correct.

Everything else is shoulda woulda coulda. :)

I actually think that the scotland squad is better than it has been in a very long time in terms of potential, with players like Adam and Fletcher at the top end of the premier league and stand outs for smaller teams in that league like Bannan and Morrison, tonights back four are also all regulars in the prem, and our strikers are the best players in the championship.

I also feel however that with the current manager, the potential means nothing because all his systems and tactics seem to show he has zero confidence in his squad. Playing on the defensive against teams like Lichenstein is just embarassing.

I think that Levein should go, but i can't really think of a good replacement, maybe monitor Paul Lambert for a while or see if Sir Alex is after a new challenge, either that or it would be Strachan or Coyle. :yucky:

all i know is, S.Fletcher would be a decent addition

PRAGUE PRAGUE PRAGUE!!!!

Thats whats gonna come back and bite our arses. Lithuania beat them in Prague, the night we played them they had both first choice central defenders missing.

By playing no striker we gave them a night off, then in the Spain game, Millers mere presence was enough to give Pique and Puyol something to at least think about, (who for my money are the best international centre-back partnership right now) playin no striker meant we had to defend and get lucky for the entire 90mins. They only had to get lucky once. I wouldav loved to see what wouldav happened if the Czechs had scored early in that game.

As for THAT or THOSE penalty deisions, its right to be upset and angry, but think about this, if we HAD gotten the penalty, i assume Fletcher being Captain Fantastic wouldav taken it, he missed his penalty against Lithuania. So i take reassurance that hed have missed against the Czechs.

Or the ref just shouldnt have given them the penalty.

Either way, leveins got to stay in the job, even after PRAGUE!!!!

jamboinglasgow

I actually think that the scotland squad is better than it has been in a very long time in terms of potential, with players like Adam and Fletcher at the top end of the premier league and stand outs for smaller teams in that league like Bannan and Morrison, tonights back four are also all regulars in the prem, and our strikers are the best players in the championship.

I also feel however that with the current manager, the potential means nothing because all his systems and tactics seem to show he has zero confidence in his squad. Playing on the defensive against teams like Lichenstein is just embarassing.

I think that Levein should go, but i can't really think of a good replacement, maybe monitor Paul Lambert for a while or see if Sir Alex is after a new challenge, either that or it would be Strachan or Coyle. :yucky:

all i know is, S.Fletcher would be a decent addition

And who made the Scotland squad better than it has been? Who has brought in Bardsley, Mackail-Smith and also given chances to up and coming youngsters like Bannan and Wilson?

Against Lichtenstein we were not playing on the defensive, we are attacking their goal for most of the match, hit the post a couple of times, Naismith missed an open goal. In my view Lichtenstein were lucky to keep it 1-0.

For me Levein must stay, 1) we cant keep sacking a manager every time and expect the new one to make an instant impact, it rarely happens like that, 2) Levein is the first Scotland manager in a while who has actually got a long term plan, something that is more crucial to the future of Scottish football. 3) This is his first time in charge of an international side in competitive football, he was always going to make mistakes (Prague was a case naivety in over-estimating the opposition (and contary to popular belief, just because he does not have a striker in the middle doesn't mean 4-6-0 cant attack, as it is not a line of 6 but has 2 attacking wingers.) He learnt a lot from that match and Scotland is improving.

As for Fletcher, he would be an ideal player upfront, but he threw his toys out of the pram and is acting like a spolit brat, so I hope he grows up.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Why does everyone seem to assume that if Levein had played with strikers we would have automatically taken something from that match?

I'm not defending that formation for one second, I thought it was a disaster at the time, but playing with strikers would have guaranteed us nothing.

The facts of the matter are that a woeful couple of last minute penalty decisions have put Scotland where they are now.

Agree with the first bit. Playing 4-4-2/4-3-3/4-5-1 whatever wouldn't have guaranteed that we got a point or 3 from the game that night.

Most folk might not agree but 4-6-0 was picked to do a certain job (defend and hit on the counter attack), and it was working until we went behind through poor marking from a set piece. Levein immediately went 4-4-2 and we arguably played worse than we did when playing with 6 in midfield.

It was very controversial at the time but if we'd got a draw out of the game, Levein would have got a lot more credit for sticking to his game plan and getting a good result from what was regarded as a tough trip.

One dive in injury time may end up costing us a place in the play offs/finals and it's very frustrating to say the least.

Sterling Archer

Have to say that while it's the Scotland game that's televised tonight focus should be on events in Lithuania. There's far more chance of Scotland qualifying because of that result than there is of them winning in Spain, NTTAWTT.

Coburg Hearts

C'mon, get intae them.

If Scotland do try and "get intae them" they will get the thrashing of their lives, I'm afraid. sad.gif

I'm assuming this will be available to watch on the BBC website since it's an away game?

We'd prob get pumped in the play-offs anyway dry.gif

Or we'll draw and Czech will win

Would be typical Scotland, "glorious failure" . Again. :down:

Not expecting us to get anything tonight but upsets can and do happen so fingers crossed. Agree with whoever said Lithuania winning is our best chance though. Time for a motivational dressing room speech from Uncle Vlad!

Lithuania team:

1 ?ydr?nas Kar?emarskas (GK)

3 Ram?nas Radavi?ius

4 Gediminas Vicius

5 Andrius Skerla ©

6 Marius ?aliukas

10 Darvydas ?ernas

11 Robertas Po?kus

13 Saulius Mikoliunas

14 Linas Pilibaitas

16 K?stutis Iva?kevi?ius

23 Marius Stankevi?ius

13 Saulius Mikoliunas

14 Linas Pilibaitas

16 K?stutis Iva?kevi?ius

:yas:

Quite like old times really. :thumbsup:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Valdes, three times Champions League winner, making his competitive debut tonight.

:vrface:

The Spain/Scotland game will not decide this qualifying group.

All eyes on the Lith/Czech game!!

Scotland on TV.

Lithuania on the laptop.

Can we please get the breaks just one time?

The Spain/Scotland game will not decide this qualifying group.

All eyes on the Lith/Czech game!!

Does anyone have a link for the other game? :thumbsup:

The Mighty Thor

2 minutes 7seconds to get our first touch. Could be a long night

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived