The Official Scotland v Spain match thread

The Merse

I'm not saying that Craig Gordon would have kept the second goal out, but I'm certain he would have got nearer to it than McGregor managed.

Don't think McGregor has looked great at either of the goals tbh

Still - it's not all over. All we need is Scotland to score more in a competitive match than they've done since :ermm: in the second 45 mins against the World champions.

Especially as it's clear Lithuania have let us down badly. :whistling:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed the Naismith penalty shout first time. Just saw it now - looked like a clear pen to me. Puyol went clear off his feet and took him out with both of them.

Never a penalty. Played the ball with both legs before making any contact with Naismith.

Levein's tactic of every one back for a corner annoyed me at tynecastle and he is still doing it now. Unless your goalie catches it cleanly it invites over 2 minutes of pressure.

And i have been negative of the team tonight but i believe that we can be better and achieve more with more positive tactics and a bit more belief in the players we have.

He's OK, and you have made progress, albeit not as much as was hoped.

I fail to see this progress.

It's been an absolutely pathetic campaign.

He doesn't - and he won't. Scotland were seeded 3rd; Scotland will finish 3rd. Scotland will make zero progress whatsoever if they keep firing manager after manager after every single qualifying campaign.

The only manager Scotland actually sacked recently was Burley. In fact, he and Berti Vogts are the only managers Scotland have sacked since the mid-80s. Jock Stein - died in post. Alex Ferguson - caretaker. Andy Roxburgh - stepped down. Craig Brown - stepped down (if memory serves). Walter Smith - resigned. Alex McLeish - resigned.

We'll make zero progress under him too.

He's shit.

I'm not a fan of Craig as national manager we now have some decent young players and i don't think he can take scotland any further.

Never a penalty. Played the ball with both legs before making any contact with Naismith.

'Never' is way too harsh. He certainly took the man as well as the ball, well inside the area, with a two-footed tackle, and we have all seen them given many many times for much less.

Those thinking levein should be sacked would not have been saying the same if the ref hadn't given the Czechs that penalty.

Also those saying that we are clearly better than the czechs are deluded. Our expectations are almost as cocky as the English.

Decent campaign and we are improving. There are maybe 1 or 2 teams that could give the Spanish a game on their own turf... And one of them would be barca!!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

We've won the games we should have, lost the games we should have and have a squad with more potential than this time last year.

Don't see why he deserves the sack.

29,295 :vrface:

Budgie :vrface:

Been to Tynecastle twice :vrface:

Did someone call? :lol:

PS. Twice?! I think not. :angry:

It's been a standard sort of campaign. Not good; not bad either. Just normal. Anyone reading this thread would think Scotland made the play-offs all the time - but you haven't even managed that since 2003 (after scraping into 2nd in what really was a joke of a group), never mind not qualified for anything in what will now become 16 years.

Bearing that in mind, developing a settled side whose ranking is improving and have played some good stuff at times constitutes progress. Things were never likely to turn around completely in the space of one campaign. If you'd finished 4th, he'd have to go - but hardly after maintaining your seeding, and narrowly failing to finish above a country with a massively better record in the modern era than Scotland.

Those thinking levein should be sacked would not have been saying the same if the ref hadn't given the Czechs that penalty.

Also those saying that we are clearly better than the czechs are deluded. Our expectations are almost as cocky as the English.

Decent campaign and we are improving. There are maybe 1 or 2 teams that could give the Spanish a game on their own turf... And one of them would be barca!!

No. His daft 4-6 formation against the Czechs was bad enough on it's own for him to be sacked. Bad refereeing decisions happen but Craig had to throw caution to the wind tonight because he didn't against the Czechs.

The only manager Scotland actually sacked recently was Burley. In fact, he and Berti Vogts are the only managers Scotland have sacked since the mid-80s. Jock Stein - died in post. Alex Ferguson - caretaker. Andy Roxburgh - stepped down. Craig Brown - stepped down (if memory serves). Walter Smith - resigned. Alex McLeish - resigned.

OK. Scotland will make zero progress if they keep changing managers after every campaign.

You mention Brown above. Would that be the same Craig Brown with the best record any Scotland manager's ever had, yet who routinely gets pelters on here for having been (sounds familiar from somewhere), "too negative"?

You mention McLeish above. Would that be the same Alex McLeish whose achievements with the side are routinely ignored, but who gets continual pelters for one game in Georgia which was lost?

Seems like Scotland managers can't win on here no matter what they do.

alwaysthereinspirit

Thats not fair. You cant say there's been no progress. Spain scored after 5 mins in the first half. Look at the time elapsed in the second.

OK not a lot of progress but still. Rome wasn't built in a day.

We've scraped past Liechtenstein TWICE.

That night in Prague. Draw or bust. Against a really, really average side.

The performances against Lithuania were brutal as well.

We've played terribly throughout.

He doesn't - and he won't. Scotland were seeded 3rd; Scotland will finish 3rd. Scotland will make zero progress whatsoever if they keep firing manager after manager after every single qualifying campaign.

we were seeded fourth were we not? regardless, I agree there's little point in sacking him. he's trying to build a squad that will compete in 2-4 years, hence the likes of Forrest getting games. if we can build a solid squad with young players who get to know each others games inside we'll be in with a chance. Levein's also working with the SFA to improve the domestic game too.

yes, mistakes were made early in the campaign but Scotland are a long way from being a side that can expect to qualify. the only way to remedy this is the long job.

Thats not fair. You cant say there's been no progress. Spain scored after 5 mins in the first half. Look at the time elapsed in the second.

OK not a lot of progress but still. Rome wasn't built in a day.

:D

I would of happily seen Levein walk away after his 4-6-0 away to Czechs. Let's face it, we scrapped a win at home to pishy Liechtenstein as well. Poor campaign and we barely deserved to have a chance of getting through tonight.

Some people hate their own national team and want it to fail. :vrface:

Its not surprising Scotland fail so badly these days, so many 'weak sperms' in our society that dont have any 'baws'.

They just dont have it in them to stand up and be men, they would rather bitch and squabble like women :thumbsup:

Did someone call? :lol:

PS. Twice?! I think not. :angry:

It's been a standard sort of campaign. Not good; not bad either. Just normal. Anyone reading this thread would think Scotland made the play-offs all the time - but you haven't even managed that since 2003 (after scraping into 2nd in what really was a joke of a group), never mind not qualified for anything in what will now become 16 years.

Bearing that in mind, developing a settled side whose ranking is improving and have played some good stuff at times constitutes progress. Things were never likely to turn around completely in the space of one campaign. If you'd finished 4th, he'd have to go - but hardly after maintaining your seeding, and narrowly failing to finish above a country with a massively better record in the modern era than Scotland.

This campaign has been a failure. Given we were never going to beat whoever we drew as the first seed, the rest of the group was as easy as we could have hoped for. Levein blew it by failing to attempt to win the games away to Lithuania and in the Czech Republic. Our three wins have been by one goal, two of those wins were again a team from a country the size of Falkirk and the other at home to a poor Lithuania team.

Levein is avoiding scrutiny because of his friends in the media. If Berti Vogts had lead the team this time out then there would be outrage. Poor from Scotland, but especially poor from Craig Levein.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

We've scraped past Liechtenstein TWICE.

That night in Prague. Draw or bust. Against a really, really average side.

The performances against Lithuania were brutal as well.

We've played terribly throughout.

It's a result business.

Who would you bring in? There is absolutely no one available right now who would improve us any further.

Its not surprising Scotland fail so badly these days, so many 'weak sperms' in our society that dont have any 'baws'.

They just dont have it in them to stand up and be men, they would rather bitch and squabble like women :thumbsup:

but paulo sergio does not have clue hoofball is the only way forward

OK. Scotland will make zero progress if they keep changing managers after every campaign.

You mention Brown above. Would that be the same Craig Brown with the best record any Scotland manager's ever had, yet who routinely gets pelters on here for having been (sounds familiar from somewhere), "too negative"?

You mention McLeish above. Would that be the same Alex McLeish whose achievements with the side are routinely ignored, but who gets continual pelters for one game in Georgia which was lost?

Seems like Scotland managers can't win on here no matter what they do.

Craig Brown WAS too negative. He based his strategy around making Scotland hard to beat. It was effective, but he never dared bring in any new players. Berti Vogts was left with a past-it first team and no natural replacements for them.

As for McLeish, he did well, but it's small wonder that people remember the Georgia game. We should have WON that impossible group. That one abject defeat made the huge achievements of the rest of the campaign a waste of time.

It's a result business.

Who would you bring in? There is absolutely no one available right now who would improve us any further.

Jim Jefferies.

I jest.

ToadKiller Dog

We have made progress in the terms that the overall squad depth is maybe the best it has been this century and there are some good players coming through or found Scottish grans . CLs craven tactics in games when it has not be necessary has not helped , But that said Burley tried a more open style and was shot down and ridiculed . We have never been comfy in any game so far under CLs reign ,We have shown on the odd occasion what the better players in the squad are capable of .

I dont think CLs style suits international football more a mid level league side . Think he will stay for the next campaign but expect the get Strachan in campaign to hit full steam if the WC qualifers dont start well .

Missed the Naismith penalty shout first time. Just saw it now - looked like a clear pen to me. Puyol went clear off his feet and took him out with both of them.

Think you need to watch it again then mate cos it was pique who made the challenge.

ToadKiller Dog
Craig Brown WAS too negative. He based his strategy around making Scotland hard to beat.

Yes he was but he knew when it was right to play a more attacking game against the right opposition .

Gallagher's 'a little bit cheeky comment' just took the sweet out of what was a bittersweet penalty to make it 3-1.

Is that 3 goals we have scored against the world champions in our last 2 fixtures between us ?

hobo-esque straw-clutching comment, IMO

Play-offs predictions:

France v Estonia

Portugal v Montenegro

Czech Republic v Turkey

Croatia v Ireland

Archived