The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

JudyJudyJudy
On 30/03/2024 at 23:14, Tazio said:

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry. I recorded this from Sky Movies weeks ago and forgot about it. Story of an old man setting off to walk from his home in Devon to Berwick Upon Tweed to ‘save’ a friend who is in a hospice with cancer. The usual brilliant understated performance from Jim Broadbent in the eponymous role. 
Just a very watchable, gentle, and moving film. 

PSA there may be tears. 

I like Jim Broadbent . Lovely actor .

JimmyCant

Fresh - A delightful movie about a guy who kidnaps women and sells their flesh like butcher meat to an elite customer base.Whilst keeping them alive as long as possible to keep the meat fresh.

Its alright. Plot full of holes (pun intended) couple of WTF scenes/moments make it worthwhile giving a look on a wet Tuesday night if there’s no football on

6/10. maybe 7

IPTV

JimmyCant
On 15/03/2024 at 18:43, Jim_Duncan said:

Watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles again last night. Easily the best film of the 20th century.

Big statement that.

Its in the conversation for best comedy but BEST MOVIE of the century ? All about opinions of course but it wouldn’t in my top 20

Jamhammer

Kong X Godzilla. Great Monsters

awful film

Finally watched Killers of the Flower Moon

Very disappointed 

Tommy Brown

No Mercy (2018, BBCi Netflix)

Thought it was a really good story that I had never heard of. Good to watch a film with no violence.

An amateur sailor attempts to circumnavigate the globe for a huge cash prize but soon faces bigger challenges at sea. Based on a true story. Watch all you want. Directed by Academy Award-nominated filmmaker James Marsh, this moving biopic stars Colin Firth and Rachel Weisz.

rudi must stay
On 03/04/2024 at 22:33, JimmyCant said:

Big statement that.

Its in the conversation for best comedy but BEST MOVIE of the century ? All about opinions of course but it wouldn’t in my top 20

And you believe you have ambassadorial sway on films?

Dune: Part 2.

Very much the same as the first one. Looks nice enough.

Pacing is all over the place, script is minimal, performances are sterile, there is somehow at the same time too much exposition and not enough.

We spend far too much time with drawn-out pish we don't need to know and nowhere near enough time on what we do need to know.

Source material being missed entirely, events happen in the wrong order and chunks are replaced with new stuff that doesn't make any sense.
Editing is a mess. CGI isn't very good.

This was a chore to sit through.

3/10

JimmyCant
12 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

And you believe you have ambassadorial sway on films?

Nope. Just an opinion like everyone else

rudi must stay

Scoop

Thought it was decent. Didn't care for Rufus Sewell in it, abit comical. Billie Piper put in a good shift. It's on netflix

7/10

henrysmithsgloves

Nobody on channel 4. Excellent action flick, looking forward to part 2 . 9/10😎

JudyJudyJudy

"Poor things" with Emma Stone and William Defoe and Mark Ruffalo

Finally got round to seeing this. Its exceptional. Very quirky take on Frankestein really.  I can now see why Emma Stone won the best actress Oscar over Lily Gladstone.  Her performance is quite amazing really. Very brave role to take on and she is exceptional. Defoe is great too * with a Scottish accent ! and Ruffalo.  Its very freaky and has some gross scenes at times but its truly original and the sets and cinematography and effects are breathtaking 

9/10 from me 

rudi must stay
27 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

"Poor things" with Emma Stone and William Defoe and Mark Ruffalo

Finally got round to seeing this. Its exceptional. Very quirky take on Frankestein really.  I can now see why Emma Stone won the best actress Oscar over Lily Gladstone.  Her performance is quite amazing really. Very brave role to take on and she is exceptional. Defoe is great too * with a Scottish accent ! and Ruffalo.  Its very freaky and has some gross scenes at times but its truly original and the sets and cinematography and effects are breathtaking 

9/10 from me 

I gave it 2 minutes. Too weird for me 

Edited by rudi must stay

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I gave it 2 minutes. Too weird for me 

I loved it. It was fascinating. This review sums it up really well.

Poor Things review – Emma Stone has a sexual adventure in Yorgos Lanthimos’s virtuoso comic epic | Poor Things | The Guardian

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

hughesie27

Man on Fire

6/10. Weird they added a couple of bits at the end implying it was a true story.

Equaliser 2

6/10 Good old fashioned mindless shoot outs

The Negotiator

7/10 As above but better story and tension.

Jim_Duncan

Went to see Civil War at the imax yesterday.  Felt like a homage to Vietnam War films. Some powerful scenes, and good performances. 

Muppetboy

Men, 2/10. Wtf did I just watch. Grieving woman heads to the country in search of solitude, then has a number of strange interactions with the locals, all of whom are played by the same guy. Definitely an acquired taste

Carl Fredrickson
On 17/04/2024 at 16:01, Muppetboy said:

Men, 2/10. Wtf did I just watch. Grieving woman heads to the country in search of solitude, then has a number of strange interactions with the locals, all of whom are played by the same guy. Definitely an acquired taste

You should have read my review of when I saw it at the cinema (2 or 3 years ago). Totally mental and awful film. THAT scene near the end was daft beyond words. 

Muppetboy
12 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

You should have read my review of when I saw it at the cinema (2 or 3 years ago). Totally mental and awful film. THAT scene near the end was daft beyond words. 

😂 God I thought I was the only one on here who had saw it!! Yeah that scene was surreal beyond words! Film actually started off reasonably well. I feel for u having paid to see it

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

😂 God I thought I was the only one on here who had saw it!! Yeah that scene was surreal beyond words! Film actually started off reasonably well. I feel for u having paid to see it

I had Odeon limitless at the time and would go to watch anything. The trailor for it looked decent but the film as a whole was beyond awful.

Carl Fredrickson

Back To Black

Not being a fan of her music, I went to see this film and really enjoyed it from a human life point of view. 

I dont know how truthful it was but I found it extremely sad and her sad demise was a waste of a tremendous vouce. 

The film is very well made and balances her personal turmoil well with her rise to fame.   8/10

hughesie27
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Back To Black

Not being a fan of her music, I went to see this film and really enjoyed it from a human life point of view. 

I dont know how truthful it was but I found it extremely sad and her sad demise was a waste of a tremendous vouce. 

The film is very well made and balances her personal turmoil well with her rise to fame.   8/10

Would quite like to see this but don't think I could sit through 2 hours of her songs.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Back To Black

You should watch Amy as well. Brilliant documentary 

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Back To Black

Apparently the husband gets off quite lightly in the film.

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Apparently the husband gets off quite lightly in the film.

The film has him as a bad un who reforms. 

27 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Would quite like to see this but don't think I could sit through 2 hours of her songs.

Not too many of her songs in it. I thought there would be more. 

19 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Thanks but the film was enough. 

rudi must stay
Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

The film has him as a bad un who reforms. 

Not too many of her songs in it. I thought there would be more. 

Thanks but the film was enough. 

Ok. I'm seeing it as well soon 

Carl Fredrickson

The Greatest Showman. 

My 8 year old daughter loves this (and tbh I like some of the songs in it) and she said a couple of weeks ago that she wished she had seen it on the big screen. The Fraser Centre at Tranent had it on tonight so off we went. First time I have went to the cinema there and I was well impressed for it being a trust owned community facility. 

It was a sing-a-long version (I know I know) and we had a great night. Quite an emotional film and the song writers know how to pull on my old heart strings. 8/10

John Findlay

Went and saw civil war last night.

I'm going to give it a 5/10.

I have thought it was an American film trying hard to be a European film, and missing the target.

It didn't explain why America was having its Second civil war, I think it was saying the Western forces were no different to the Nazis/German army of WWII.

In the way they just carried out senseless killing.

I think there was a better film than what eventually ended up on the screen.

Mission: Impossible (1996)

Not seen the original film for ages.

From a simpler time when films were less than two hours long.

Still holds up surprisingly well despite the technology being dated as feck.

Not sure why they hired Jean Reno to play a German when he's the Frenchest man to have ever lived, but anyways.

A solid 7/10.

28 years later and they're still churning these out.

On 19/04/2024 at 08:27, Carl Fredrickson said:

Back To Black

Tragic end to her young life . Greatest British singer since Dusty Springfield .

On 19/04/2024 at 10:21, rudi must stay said:

Yes that was superb . Very moving 

By The Light..

Blackberry - absolutely brilliant entertainment especially if you lived through the rise of smartphones

While the film is said to be loosely based on Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry, director Matt Johnson wanted the film to be a period piece reflecting the culture of the 90s with references to pop culture of the time.

luckyBatistuta
On 16/04/2024 at 18:44, Jim_Duncan said:

Went to see Civil War at the imax yesterday.  Felt like a homage to Vietnam War films. Some powerful scenes, and good performances. 

On 21/04/2024 at 18:36, John Findlay said:

Went and saw civil war last night.

I'm going to give it a 5/10.

I have thought it was an American film trying hard to be a European film, and missing the target.

It didn't explain why America was having its Second civil war, I think it was saying the Western forces were no different to the Nazis/German army of WWII.

In the way they just carried out senseless killing.

I think there was a better film than what eventually ended up on the screen.

Went to see Civil War this afternoon. I hadn’t watched any trailers or read any reviews on it, so had no idea going in. I did think it was going to be a war movie with lots of fighting and special effects, but nope. I really enjoyed it, some good acting performances. I know it doesn’t tell you why there’s a breakaway,  why they are fighting and trying to kill the president, but it’s America!!! There is so much division in that country right now, they could break in to a full civil war easily over anything.

A good thought provoking film, give it 7.5/10

a wee side note…I reckon the girl who plays Jessie would have been a lot better fit for Ellie in Last of Us Tv series than Bella Ramsey who was cast in the role.

IMG_6884.jpeg