Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

12 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Kyle Lafferty has played at a much higher level than Steven MacLean ever has. I'm not sure what experience he can offer as a former St Johnstone striker over a former Palermo one.

Maybe he can show him how to take it in and bring others into the game. Laff is not as good at that as I expected him to be. Having him so isolated is unacceptable though. We are hoping for miracles with that approach 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Bridge of Djoum

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Spencer said:

Maybe he can show him how to take it in and bring others into the game. Laff is not as good at that as I expected him to be. Having him so isolated is unacceptable though. We are hoping for miracles with that approach 

Laff is wasted with his back to goal. Which, bizarrely, is how he's being asked to play.

That said, we desperately need someone quick and MacLean isn't going to be that option.

sairyinthat
19 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Kyle Lafferty has played at a much higher level than Steven MacLean ever has. I'm not sure what experience he can offer as a former St Johnstone striker over a former Palermo one.

Lafferty apart do we have any 1 in 3?

jambo1961

Plenty decent signings to come, its just turned May, have faith

Edited by jambo1961

4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Laff is wasted with his back to goal. Which, bizarrely, is how he's being asked to play.

That said, we desperately need someone quick and MacLean isn't going to be that option.

Questionable whether Naismith suits what we need either. Shame because Laff and Naismith are quality. Certainly at our level. You can't have enough quality and those two plus Berra and Souttar are a cut above most teams in our league. They are imo superior to what Hibs have in those areas. However when you have literally no midfield, no width, no pace and no incision you are always likely to struggle 

The upside for Levein is that a few decent recruits in key areas and it could loom much better. He knows that and perhaps more crucially, Budge will know that too. The last thing she wants to happen is be forced to empty him. Therefore I suspect resoures will be found to recruit decent quality in those areas.

Everyone is on the line here so you have to hope things are in place 

6 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Lafferty apart do we have any 1 in 3?

Isma was 1 in 3 or better. Not sure we look better for that decision in January 

If we are honest the decision to move Isma and Walker (contract rin down accepted) to bring in Amankwaa and Naismith has not seen any meaningful improvement imo 

Shit season best forgotten. Trouble is we said same last year...

Edited by Spencer

Nookie Bear
34 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

He’s been signed for experience on the bench. To bring on when needed. 

Imagine when we are 2-0 at Pittodrie and McLean comes on

:laugh:

Lucille's Thirsty
1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

The boy from Cambridge, we can’t write him off since we haven’t actually seen anything of him up here. 

Steven MacLean though. A 35 year old striker who doesn’t score goals? No ****ing thank you. 

Are we as a club taking the piss or what with that signing. We have Lafferty and Naismith if they he does stay of course to mentor younger lads. A complete no need signing. We need to get rid of average signings that we have made but no we are stockpiling even more tripe. 

Underwhelming to say the least.

13 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Isma was 1 in 3 or better. Not sure we look better for that decision in January 

If we are honest the decision to move Isma and Walker (contract rin down accepted) to bring in Amankwaa and Naismith has not seen any meaningful improvement imo 

Shit season best forgotten. Trouble is we said same last year...

Most of the intelligentsia on here were happy to see Isma go and for us to double our money.

Pros and cons overall but the intelligentsia mostly thought he was shite....

Edited by Jammy T

Italian Lambretta
19 minutes ago, jambo1961 said:

Aye Mulraney can’t wait on that one

1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

Most of the intelligentsia on here were happy to see Isma go and for us to double our money.

He looked more of a goal threat than Naismith imo. Ultimately that was the swap despite being different types 

Lucille's Thirsty

We should aim as a club for the players that are starting now to be the ones that are replaced with better quality.

Excluding Berra, Souttar and all. Will MacLean or Mulraney be even pushing the guys that are starting now.

Mind we’ve had a horrid season. We aren’t replacing the current midfield. But I’ll wait to see what happens and can tell we’ll be disappointed come the start.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Sorry don't you live in London? How many times did you see Isma play? Started of well but unfortunately got worse with each passing game. Constantly losing possession and missing most of his chances. You probably never seen most of that though.

3 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

We should aim as a club for the players that are starting now to be the ones that are replaced with better quality.

Excluding Berra, Souttar and all. Will MacLean or Mulraney be even pushing the guys that are starting now.

Mind we’ve had a horrid season. We aren’t replacing the current midfield. But I’ll wait to see what happens and can tell we’ll be disappointed come the start.

Decision to award Cowie with another year looks a bad call imo. Absolutely finished 

Complete horror show of a display at Pittodrie from him last Friday 

I'm not convinced Adao will be here next season either 

rick witter
1 hour ago, Koolkeith said:

Well I assume Lafferty will be starting games, so as I said he’s experienced cover for the bench. This has what Levein has stated. 

Sign starting players please not subs FFS!!  

rick witter
32 minutes ago, Spencer said:

He looked more of a goal threat than Naismith imo. Ultimately that was the swap despite being different types 

Naismith is being asked to play way too deep every second week it must be so frustrating for him!! It’s no coincidence his best performances have come at home when he actually gets to play on the front foot and getting in behind Lafferty. 

He was poor at Pittodrie but he was asked to play even deeper in midfield to accommodate Henderson!!  WTF was that all about why not keep Naismith as the number 10 and play Cochrane or Callachan in Midfield??? 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, amadjambo said:

Yep, cause that’s how it’s going to work, we’ll have a poll on here about new signings, team selection, tactics, etc.

Got to be one of the most irritating comments to regularly be used on here is “wait till fan ownership”.

Agree, however the worry that a number on here have is that characters from  here, jkb, could quite easily put themselves forward for FoH  board roles and people could be daft enough to vote for them. What then? Live polls from FoH Board meetings? 

4 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Naismith is being asked to play way too deep every second week it must be so frustrating for him!! It’s no coincidence his best performances have come at home when he actually gets to play on the front foot and getting in behind Lafferty. 

He was poor at Pittodrie but he was asked to play even deeper in midfield to accommodate Henderson!!  WTF was that all about why not keep Naismith as the number 10 and play Cochrane or Callachan in Midfield??? 

Henderson has been hung out to dry a few times this season. Easter Road in Oct, Ibrox in Feb and again in Friday. Contributed nothing in any of those games.  Chucking lads in before they're ready is not ideal. No real game intelligence from the lad, which can't be said of McDonald or Cochrane. 

Callachan could be away in the summer I reckon. Him and Cowie have little to offer going forward 

8 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Do you realise that at Pittodrie we had Djoum, Mitchell, Godinho, Buaben, Skinny, Adao and Currie unavailable through injury?  That clearly limits selection and tactics and sometimes players simply have to adapt to get over the hump.

The football has been pitiful at times but these injuries definitely weaken the team.

jambo1961
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Do you realise that at Pittodrie we had Djoum, Mitchell, Godinho, Buaben, Skinny, Adao and Currie unavailable through injury?  That clearly limits selection and tactics and sometimes players simply have to adapt to get over the hump.

The football has been pitiful at times but these injuries definitely weaken the team.

Good points

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Injuries have certainly not helped. Ibrox and Pittodrie was abject beyond belief though.

1971fozzy
47 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Sorry don't you live in London? How many times did you see Isma play? Started of well but unfortunately got worse with each passing game. Constantly losing possession and missing most of his chances. You probably never seen most of that though.

Yep some seem to forget this. Also his ballooning weight didn’t help him either. I got the distinct feeling he wasn’t happy here and was delighted to move. Wether the cause was as he reported is possibly a factor but his form went downhill fast. Mind you , under Leveins tactics it’s probably understandable why he appeared to lose form and interest.

shame as I was genuinely over the moon when he signed.

some sections of the crowds were a disgrace in their vocal disdain at any mistake he made though which again is another reason why he probably said fek this.

we really have an awful section of support who don’t help the team or players at all. Counter productive is an understatement 

1971fozzy
8 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Good point and as much as I hate watching Hearts under Levein away from home, he has had shit luck with injuries. From your list I would suspect that Djoum, Mitchell and Adao would of been definite starters and possibly Skinny

rick witter
11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I agree they weaken the team but surely we could have played Cochrane who has had a decent amount of game time and played Naismith in behind lafferty where he is most effective??? Henderson touched the ball about 5 timed in the whole game he is nowhere near ready for the first team 

6 minutes ago, rick witter said:

I agree they weaken the team but surely we could have played Cochrane who has had a decent amount of game time and played Naismith in behind lafferty where he is most effective??? Henderson touched the ball about 5 timed in the whole game he is nowhere near ready for the first team 

CL was being panned on here for playing youngsters - was it the Dundee game?

Cochrane is a young boy and if playing just him was going to materially alter our play enough to beat Aberdeen, I must say he'll be Scotland's first player to compare with Messi.

He needs to be handled carefully, not thrown to the wolves.

rick witter
15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

CL was being panned on here for playing youngsters - was it the Dundee game?

Cochrane is a young boy and if playing just him was going to materially alter our play enough to beat Aberdeen, I must say he'll be Scotland's first player to compare with Messi.

He needs to be handled carefully, not thrown to the wolves.

Play Callaghan then?? 

We had other options and the manager chose the wrong one yet again. In fact I would say Cochrane was one of our best players when he came on and actually managed to get us up the park and we managed our 1 solitary shot on target. Him or Callaghan should have started before Henderson without a doubt. 

tokyowalnut
11 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Play Callaghan then?? 

We had other options and the manager chose the wrong one yet again. In fact I would say Cochrane was one of our best players when he came on and actually managed to get us up the park and we managed our 1 solitary shot on target. Him or Callaghan should have started before Henderson without a doubt. 

Callaghan is awful and will quite rightly be away in the summer.

58 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Injuries have certainly not helped. Ibrox and Pittodrie was abject beyond belief though.

What it did show is just how thin the squad is. I hope that won't happen next season. We have a few good youngsters coming through but you just cannot play them wholesale in this league.  Performances like the last two just won't be tolerated next term and I'm sure that CL is well aware of that.

davie1980
2 hours ago, jambo1961 said:

I'm just angry at the lack of progress with the pre-season training

rick witter
24 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Worse than Henderson who was like a scared wee laddie. 

If he is that bad where is he going to go? 

Edited by rick witter

davie1980
2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

A goal every three games isn't what we need. We need pace up front. 

We're so ****ing slow going forward.

A goal every 3 games isn't a bad return, we've had regular starters with worse returns.

Maclean is going to be back up. He'll be used when our other striking options are injured, brought on as sub to hold the ball up to see out games and perhaps used in certain circumstances where his style of play is what we need to bring others into the game

If he does that and chips in with 1 goal in 3 while he's here, then he wont have been a bad addition

rick witter
13 minutes ago, Deevers said:

What it did show is just how thin the squad is. I hope that won't happen next season. We have a few good youngsters coming through but you just cannot play them wholesale in this league.  Performances like the last two just won't be tolerated next term and I'm sure that CL is well aware of that.

It also shows how much Levein doesn’t trust players like Amankwaa!! Another foreign dud who we are stuck with for another year. He keeps saying he “likes the story” and wants to help the players get back to their best but I don’t think they have been any good in the first place. 

Just now, tokyowalnut said:

Agreed.  Back to Raith hopefully.

2 minutes ago, rick witter said:

It also shows how much Levein doesn’t trust players like Amankwaa!! Another foreign dud who we are stuck with for another year. He keeps saying he “likes the story” and wants to help the players get back to their best but I don’t think they have been any good in the first place. 

The jury is still out on him. He does not look fit and has not done since he arrived here. I'll make up my mind after I have seen him next term after he's had a full pre season with us.  So far he's looked well off the pace.

Alex Kintner
8 minutes ago, Deevers said:

The jury is still out on him. He does not look fit and has not done since he arrived here. I'll make up my mind after I have seen him next term after he's had a full pre season with us.  So far he's looked well off the pace.

The thing that gets me about Amankwaa is that I get the feeling he is uncomfortable on the left and he isn’t able to make the most of his pace as he always cuts in. I’d like to see him start on the right, go past the full back and get crosses in

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Some shite being spouted.

Options were limited. Cochrane is quite rightly being saved. Look what happened to McDonald on Monday. 

Henderson quite rightly got a rare opportunity in a game that meant little. 

Cowie dominant against Aberdeen at Tynecastle may  now be more effective at home. 

Callachan? Well he only seems to be credited when he doesn't play. 

Lucille's Thirsty
2 hours ago, Spencer said:

Decision to award Cowie with another year looks a bad call imo. Absolutely finished 

Complete horror show of a display at Pittodrie from him last Friday 

I'm not convinced Adao will be here next season either 

The current signings are horrid. It says it all when I still would want Cowie to be starting. I would be happy with the attack and defence as it is. We need a new GK, an entire new midfield and RB and LB. 

jambopilms

Not sure we should be worried considering this season hasn't finished yet and the window hasn't opened yet. Chill for a couple of months.

32 minutes ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

The current signings are horrid. It says it all when I still would want Cowie to be starting. I would be happy with the attack and defence as it is. We need a new GK, an entire new midfield and RB and LB. 

Think the right back berth gets overlooked.  We are devoid of a left back of anger kind and have options at right back - sadly just not any good ones imo. Brandon could be a player. Godinho I'm not as sure 

Cowie has been a good servant but he is done. Chronic beyond belief at Pittodrie. Seldom does a player give the ball away as often as Cowie does.  Staggering really 

Lucille's Thirsty
24 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Think the right back berth gets overlooked.  We are devoid of a left back of anger kind and have options at right back - sadly just not any good ones imo. Brandon could be a player. Godinho I'm not as sure 

Cowie has been a good servant but he is done. Chronic beyond belief at Pittodrie. Seldom does a player give the ball away as often as Cowie does.  Staggering really 

Agreed Cowie is a squad player at best and that’s being kind. Godinho has talent I like him but as a back up. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Imagine when we are 2-0 at Pittodrie and McLean comes on

:laugh:

he'll be an option. 

laffertry,Naismith, McLean and the big man ( sp) are good to have.

We have no one just now fron the bench.

We won't be going 2-0 down to Aberdeen next season anyway so you can chill.?

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Not sure we should be worried considering this season hasn't finished yet and the window hasn't opened yet. Chill for a couple of months.

nah it's clearly time to freak out and go mental.

tokyowalnut
1 hour ago, rick witter said:

Worse than Henderson who was like a scared wee laddie. 

If he is that bad where is he going to go? 

Haha come on, are you really going to dispute that he's not a very poor player.

There's an uncountable amount of gash footballers that have left Hearts and found clubs. He'll be back in the League 1, championship if he's lucky.

He knows he's pish, probably why he started selling herbalife as a side job.

5 hours ago, rick witter said:

Play Callaghan then?? 

I think what you are trying to say is that you don't have a ****ing clue but you'll go ahead and criticise anyway.

You are a genius with hindsight and seem to have forgotten that a Callachan aberration put us out, or certainly helped, of the Scottish Cup.

I see the thread taken over by folk with a short fuse and a lot of time of their hands ?...

Gonna just keep it thread related boys eh ? Ta!!!

Alex Kintner

Can we get this back on track please.

Daz, Notts: any info about players in the pipeline?