Nicholson leaving - deal with Minnesota close to completion

Romulus

In time we'll look back and remember the wee laddie that we developed into a slightly bigger wee laddie. Did he ever give us value for money?

If we had the courage of our convictions we would probably have binned both him and Jamie ages ago but no-one wanted to admit that our "youth development policy" was a failure. Exactly who, over the years, was charged with it's success? There is a name somewhere in the back of my mind but it's probably too mean to point fingers.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicholson is just a wee laddie whose head has been turned by money rather than ambition. A good player, but certainly not a great one. I reckon he'll be missed more at Nando's than Hearts. With this move, he's not one I'd rush to welcome back to Tynecastle. Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does nandos do food ? ?

In time we'll look back and remember the wee laddie that we developed into a slightly bigger wee laddie. Did he ever give us value for money?

Must admit , I was at tynie when he took a kick in the face fi the livi player , not a nice scene , in fact been booted about a lot . Maybe he should take up bowls .

Burger King is better than Nando's Justjoe

never been to Nandos WTF is that .

I know it's a food shite , but what's so special. ?????LOL

10 years since I had one o them .

Rocky jamboa

We've won more than we've lost out of bosman. Just one of these things I suppose but disappointing we didn't get rid of last season, if he didn't want to extend his contract, which is what we should do with walker.

A good squad player to bring on but could have been a lot better if he added goals to his game.

true , a tart is a tart no bones about it .

Must admit , I was at tynie when he took a kick in the face fi the livi player , not a nice scene , in fact been booted about a lot . Maybe he should take up bowls .

Jeeez !!

Was it as bad as the one he got at Almondvale ?

Jeeez !!

OUCH he took a few eh He got booted in the air I mind that .

Jeeez !!

yeah , your a big .. u ken hero that I got it wrong , picky wee ......

Watt-Zeefuik

Got it up the Hibs and scored one of the prettiest goals in the 10-0.

Wish we'd gotten compensation but all the best to him. 

DesertDawg

On the surface it does seem like an odd move but, then again, MLS keeps moving upwards.  This is the first year for Minneapolis in MLS after 7 years in the lower leagues so they're looking to improve.  However, he's not getting $1,000,000 a year.  The system is that all players, with a few exceptions like those of Thierry Henry and Beckham, are employees of MLS, not the clubs.  This controls costs and, in theory, enables the entire league to move forward rather than just one or two clubs. So, the real question for Sam Nicholson isn't money but what he wants to do and what standard he wants to reach. 

MLS nowadays has a large number of South American players most of whom are of a good standard.  Certainly they're good enough for, or maybe better than the SPFL.  A chance to learn for Sam?  Definitely.  Downside. It's easy to become an average player for a couple of seasons then drop out.  In that scenario what happens? Another David Templeton?

The other question of course is his injury.  Is it more serious than we've been led to believe?  If so, maybe his best chance is within the U.S. sports medical system?  

Either way, hope it works well for him.  One thing is for sure....no stupid gestures or spitting at referees or he'll be on the first flight home.  U.S. Sports franchises only deal with that stuff one way.........you're out!

PhoenixHearts

Single minded wee ned eh... Suppose I don't blame him though. None of us can really say what decision we'd make in his situation.

At least we won't have to see him helplessly dribbling into packs of Defenders with no way out.

Player choice

He's made a choice that guarantees we get nothing

Nothing to do with management

My immediate reaction was - "You wee shite!"

Ha ha so he has a choice of ?9k per week at Barnsley and we get compo, or ?16k per week in the States with a free house and car and we get nothing.

What would you advise your son to do?

Don't disagree at all.

I'm saying the player has chosen an option that means we get **** all.

Nothing to do with our management.

And watch him come back to rangers but the end of the season thus avoiding any compensation!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If rangers are a rival of ours then I'd be delighted if Nicholson is one of their jigsaw pieces...

I don't dislike Nicholson

But in my opinion he has made the kind of decision that proves he wasn't worth breaking the bank to keep.

he has chosen a certain route that doesn't give him the best player development opportunities. He doesn't have the football brain to make the best of himself

Immature and short sighted.

But he'll be able to piss up thousands of quid at some bookies in Alloa in 3 years so fair dues...

It proves my point made against the big show about his insider news about certain young players being unhappy.

They don't have the right mentality to properly succeed.

As an end of season summary can someone give me the highlights of his season?

I remember a backheel in the Rangers game....

Nookie Bear

True.

It's quite depressing to look back at the Championship season and the mix of kids and class in that team. The kids didn't progress and either walked away or were binned. And rarely for the better of the team.

Yep, a huge opportunity lost through poor management.

Yep, a huge opportunity lost through poor management.

Genuine question - can you write a summary of what you would have done after the Championship season?

Nookie Bear

As an end of season summary can someone give me the highlights of his season?

I remember a backheel in the Rangers game....

Think that applies to the entire team.

I'll take it.

Nothing against Nicholson, it's up to him what he decides is best. However, it's now a case of: "next", for me.

As I said - don't dislike him but easily replaced, McGinn or not.

Think that applies to the entire team.

I'm talking about Sam.

Walker added a lot and scored goals

Isma has shown real potential

Souttar was developing well

Cowie is now bedded in and influential

But back to Sam....?

BroughtyJambo

Good impact player to have on the bench but not consistent week in / week out. Having lived in Minnieapolis myself it really is a great place and with the standard of living over there any wage even slightly more than he is on with Hearts will see him living a comfortable life, especially if a car and house are given as part of the deal.

Only thing is the football better be through the summer... Minnieapolis is not the place I would want to play football outside in the winter... I've never known cold like it.

If it's true then all the best to him, none of the players who have left us over the last 4/5 years have went onto be world beaters or playing at clubs bigger than Hearts

Interesting move. Doubt he'll be a designated player, so won't be on a salary much bigger than he'd get from even us. However, will be on a good package. More than good enough to do well in the MLS.

Sorry to see him leave, and shite that we would get nothing for him, but good luck to him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sign there, though.

I am surprised Robbie does not go for him - could do a job in English Div 1 - doubt he would have made it in the Championship

I'm more concerned by the loss of compo. We need every penny we can get to rebuild the squad.

This could mean a signing or two not now happening.

Thought Sam was a real prospect, but he's never really kicked on. Annoying that we'll get nothing from the deal, but them's the breaks.

No problem with Sam. He's got to look for the best for himself.

Its a shame he's been so poor the past couple of seasons though.

Riddley Walker

I don't dislike Nicholson

But in my opinion he has made the kind of decision that proves he wasn't worth breaking the bank to keep.

he has chosen a certain route that doesn't give him the best player development opportunities. He doesn't have the football brain to make the best of himself

Immature and short sighted.

But he'll be able to piss up thousands of quid at some bookies in Alloa in 3 years so fair dues...

It proves my point made against the big show about his insider news about certain young players being unhappy.

They don't have the right mentality to properly succeed.

Aye, English League 1 or lower-half Championship is the only place to go to develop as a footballer...

Good on him for doing something a bit different. MLS gets great crowds and it will be an experience for himm

joondalupjambo

Shockerrooney. Young Scot leaves homeland to try and better themselves overseas.

Then returns a year later when they cannot settle.

Lost out on compo but as far as I'm concerned it's just good to have another one off the books.

Consistently showed flashes of the player he could be but more often than not he failed to shine.

Never looked intelligent, Couldn't follow a game off the ball and chose the wrong option way too often on the ball.

Those floated crosses.....

When you look at what Nicholson brought to hearts against what the likes of Hayes brings to Aberdeen a player of his quality isn't going to make us better.

The guy has cleearly not been interested this season. Shame no fee if america but good riddance.

Rudolf's Mate

If I was a pretty mediocre player then the US would totally appeal to me. In fact it's a great move for him.

The lad showed glimmers of brilliance but he's yet another that failed to produce on a regular basis.

Telling that there don't appear to be any attractive offers for him down south. I'd expect him to wash up at Sevco next season, when he doesn't cut it in the MLS.

Good to get shot of the players that don't want to be here. I want players who understand that it's a privilege to play for this club.

Mid Calder Jambo

He's been with the club since he was around 12 years old I think. Losing him for no compo at all is a sore one. [emoji19]

But proves what I have been saying for some time.  Why invest in an Academy?  Get journeymen in who know the business, are willing to die for the cause and have no financial axe to grind or point to prove. 

Nice to see the young laddies come on but when you are doing it for a development or transfer fees and end up getting the square root of sod all then what is the point.

Aye, English League 1 or lower-half Championship is the only place to go to develop as a footballer...

Good on him for doing something a bit different. MLS gets great crowds and it will be an experience for himm

He's only going there so rangers don't pay us anything, he's hardly doing something different more like he's having 6 months holiday and coming back to the same old.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Livvyjambo

Not a big loss.

Yes he is particularly financially with the stand and squad rebuild just now .

SM Sheffield

Ha ha so he has a choice of ?9k per week at Barnsley and we get compo, or ?16k per week in the States with a free house and car and we get nothing.

What would you advise your son to do?

?9k a week at Barnsley? Where have you got that from? Some people seriously overestimate some of the wages paid in the Championship. ?9k a week would put Nicholson close to Barnsley's highest ever paid players and that's including big money buys and their time in the Premier League. There is absolutely no way Barnsley would pay Sam Nicholson anything like a wage like that.

Archived