The mystery of sell outs and swathes of empty seats

Craigieboy

I must admit to not turning up today, explaining an empty seat in Upper G.

Something came up last minute.  I did phone the ticket office around 1:30pm saying they could re-sell my seat if they could find a taker.

Sometimes it happens, or people just don't fancy it.  Wouldn't look into it too much! :thumbsup:

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't talk stupid. I've had a season ticket since the call to arms went out and have been to one game each season. I give my seat back to the club to resell but that still doesn't mean someone will buy it.

Are you really saying that my contribution to the club should be stopped because of an empty seat. Perhaps if we had a fan base that actually wanted to "make some noise" as Scott says, we wouldn't be desperate to fill the missing 400 seat that will make such a massive difference to the atmosphere.

Your monetary contribution can be replaced by someone who will actually come along and support the team.

Im not going to go on and on about it. I believe everyone wants the best for the club and sell outs are great financially but it would also be better to fill the seats as well. The club should look at ways to improve this. Maybe not my idea! But theres usually a way.

Your the joke.

You're coming across like a plum son.

People can't attend for any manner of reasons I'd imagine. There is more to life than football you know.

If it's a season ticket holder who can't attend then the club aren't exactly being deprived of income.

You come across as a lecturing hard of thinking type.

Have you been drinking on an empty head?

Dagger Is Back

Get stuffed! I'm self employed and have to take on jobs before the fixtures are announced and even then they sometimes change.

I've missed loads of games over the seasons but that's just the risk I choose to take.

You see all you talk about is you and your risk. What about what is best for the club? If you cant put your bum on the seat someone else will.

One of the stupidest comments I've ever read on JKB.

Take a bow

You're having an absolute mare. Maybe you should go and have a wee lie down.

You said folks missing a certain % of games shouldn't be allowed to renew for the following season.

Engage your brain, take a step back and think about how utterly stupid that is.

FWIW the groups of seats unused and their location seem to indicate that something isn't right.

I've been an advocate of the club putting something in place to encourage ST holders to hand unused seats back for resale but effectively banning ST holders for not attending a % of games is just absolute shit.

No joke. It is a joke we are claiming sell outs when hundreds dont turn up. I appreciate they are sold but we are losing 2.5% of our home support and rows of empty seats looks shit. If people cant get someone else to fill their seat or cant be arsed to give seat back to the club i do believe they should be penalised. There are plenty people ready to fill their seat and give real support.

Uh, you know the term 'sell out' means there are no tickets left to sell? They give the attendance as bums on seats, not tickets sold so don't see the complaints. We're not hiding anything, just stating a fact

I doubt any game (even the CL final) has a 100% attendance despite being a 'sell out'.

Anyway, we're getting a new stand and upping our capacity to 20k, penalising no shows will not help attract new STs

stirlingshirejambo

I had 10 empty seats next to me in G today. I just wish the club would stop announcing "sell outs". Just announce the attendance as bums on seats, not tickets sold.

They do already so your wish is granted

Bazzas right boot

No joke. It is a joke we are claiming sell outs when hundreds dont turn up. I appreciate they are sold but we are losing 2.5% of our home support and rows of empty seats looks shit. If people cant get someone else to fill their seat or cant be arsed to give seat back to the club i do believe they should be penalised. There are plenty people ready to fill their seat and give real support.

Away and fling shite at yourself.

Can't think of anything constructive to say in reply to that.

I think there is a distinct possibility that we have actually sold out a few games above our maximum attendance due to people releasing seats.

If someone has purchased a Season TIcket and can't attend or don't want to thats their business and should be respected for having purchased them in the first place.

16,912 tickets to sell

All are sold and some released for resale are sold = sell out no matter whether the bums or on seats or not, not that difficult to figure out.

Get stuffed! I'm self employed and have to take on jobs before the fixtures are announced and even then they sometimes change.

I've missed loads of games over the seasons but that's just the risk I choose to take.

One of the stupidest comments I've ever read on JKB.

Take a bow

It wasn't the best comment however..

If you know on a Friday/Saturday morning that you won't make it but don't release your seat.

Then someone turns up at the game only to be told he can't watch it as there is no available seat for them.. only to then see hundreds of free seats around the ground that they would have been delighted to sit in..

Now some fans only find out on the day of the game that they can make it.. we need to help them by giving them the opportunity to get a seat in a ground that is no full to capacity despite how many tickets have been sold..

I'd agree with the option of return your seat and if it gets resold then a tenner will be donated to FoH in your name.. The club can just hold onto the seats until we have a sell out then release those seats resulting in selling over capacity.

Some season ticket holders aren't part of FoH as the season ticket is a big enough outlay for them.. this could help them do their bit even more even if they can't make the games..

Also by only giving it if the seat is resold entices supporters to give up their seats early when they know they can't make it..

I'm more worried about the volumes of sand making its way into our stadium. There seems to be more than a few vaginas with sand in them in this thread alone.

Nobody likes a sandy vadge.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

scott herbertson

I'd agree with the option of return your seat and if it gets resold then a tenner will be donated to FoH in your name.. The club can just hold onto the seats until we have a sell out then release those seats resulting in selling over capacity.

Some season ticket holders aren't part of FoH as the season ticket is a big enough outlay for them.. this could help them do their bit even more even if they can't make the games..

Also by only giving it if the seat is resold entices supporters to give up their seats early when they know they can't make it..

I'd guess we have around 300 STs being returned and resold for each game  at present. We would be giving up ?3000 per game of current income to do this (ie halving what we currently make) . On the plus side we would be able to resell more. I think yesterday is the first time we have sold out the previous evening (and even then there were a few returns resold on the Saturday)? I'd guess we might have been able to sell a couple of hundred more yesterday, which would brought in an additional ?2000 less the ?3,000 given up so we would still be a ?1000 down on income.

i reckon we would have to resell in excess of 600 STs to make it worthwhile and I doubt we would do it.

However you have to balance that against additional Hearts fans making the game and less empty seats

We_are_the_Hearts

Few folk i know are away on holiday yesterday so werent there. They dont go on Kickback so probably dont know about the ticket resale option.

Dad and his son who have had season tickets beside me for the last 3 seasons have only been to one match so far this season and the seats have have been empty the other matches. Seems strange they wouldn't give their seats back to Hearts to re-sell or give them to friends.

There were clear runs of 6 or 7 seats together in the wheatfield lower A & B. Seems strange to me. Maybe it is groups of people who hav upgraded to hospitality but why say its a sellout if we can be reselling these (on the assumption they claimed the season ticket discount for upgrading)

I'd guess we have around 300 STs being returned and resold for each game  at present. We would be giving up ?3000 per game of current income to do this (ie halving what we currently make) . On the plus side we would be able to resell more. I think yesterday is the first time we have sold out the previous evening (and even then there were a few returns resold on the Saturday)? I'd guess we might have been able to sell a couple of hundred more yesterday, which would brought in an additional ?2000 less the ?3,000 given up so we would still be a ?1000 down on income.

i reckon we would have to resell in excess of 600 STs to make it worthwhile and I doubt we would do it.

However you have to balance that against additional Hearts fans making the game and less empty seats

I thought about that however.. All the money put into FoH eventually just gets returned to the club anyway.. they'd be giving it away for a short time only for it to be returned to them but in someone else's name..

scott herbertson

I thought about that however.. All the money put into FoH eventually just gets returned to the club anyway.. they'd be giving it away for a short time only for it to be returned to them but in someone else's name..

That's true, and it's a decent idea which at least would incentivise a few more returns which can't be a bad thing.

It will become less relevant next year I'm guessing when sell outs will be much harder unless we are chasing the league, and I do agree some better system needs to be implemented

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

If we had sold an extra 300 tickets yesterday that would be enough to RE SIGN RUDI. Now, I am no marketing genius but...

Fxxx the SPFL

If we had sold an extra 300 tickets yesterday that would be enough to RE SIGN RUDI. Now, I am no marketing genius but...

he was totally anonymous yesterday according to Rover's fans I would not take Rudi back as a player but at some point get him in as a coach provided he completes his badges which I believe he is currently doing.

I knew I wasn't able to make the game but didn't release my seat.

I had a few family friends I wanted to offer it to instead.

Unfortunately none of them were able to take the ticket.

You could see on Alba last night that almost half of the bottom of Z was not occupied. Some of the lower Wheatfield was almost as bad.

Every team in the EPL deals with this issue effectively. They have exactly the same situation -- people with STs that don't always use them -- but they find ways of keeping their grounds full, presumably by providing incentives for people to re-sell.

The big issue, for me, is that HMFC doesn't seem motivated to maximise ticket revenue by addressing this.

As a future co-owner, I'm worried by that.

Frustratingly I couldn't make it at the last minute yesterday but to be honest it didn't even cross my mind to telephone the club to release the seat.

There will be different folk who can't make it each week for whatever reason and 400 or 500 no shows out of almost 17k isn't bad. I don't pay much attention to empty seats but if there are large portions of seats together that are continually empty then surely that's something that could be looked at or perhaps there is a legitimate reason that they are always empty. It's really not something to get so worked up over though.

If a seasonticket holder can't make the game hopefully they'd phone up the ticker office, give them their card number, tell them to sell their seat GREAT JOB DONE !

Now what i'm afraid off is that their are so many seats empty in certain sections the worst being H Lower. Now ate these seats paid for by season ticket holders who haven't turned up?

Or is there another reason because i can't understand why so many empty seats in one area.

I THINK ALL FANS WHO WANT AS MUCH INCOME FOR HEARTS WOULD WANT AN ANSWER.

Mistakes in the ticket office have cost Hearts dearly in the past do you remember the 800 cup final tickets that were found in a drawer unsold that Hearts had to pay for. Mistakes cost Hearts i just want to bring this to the attention of people and the question is simple. Are all these empty seats paid for ?

One seat either side of me in section Y are empty every week. On the etickets they are never available. Strange.

One seat either side of me in section Y are empty every week. On the etickets they are never available. Strange.

Your a VIP ;)

Francis Albert

You could see on Alba last night that almost half of the bottom of Z was not occupied. Some of the lower Wheatfield was almost as bad.

Every team in the EPL deals with this issue effectively. They have exactly the same situation -- people with STs that don't always use them -- but they find ways of keeping their grounds full, presumably by providing incentives for people to re-sell.

The big issue, for me, is that HMFC doesn't seem motivated to maximise ticket revenue by addressing this.

As a future co-owner, I'm worried by that.

What you say about "every team in the EPL" is simply not true. Even with quite a strong incentive to release seats (you get at least half the ticket price if sold back as a discount off next years ST) there are for all but the big games a higher proportion of empty seats at the Emirates than at Tynecastle (and there are many worse examples in the EPL) and the same phenomenon of empty seats together particularly in the front rows(especially if it rains or is a threat of rain). Arsenal report seats sold not bums and it's always close to 60,000 even when the ground is clearly only 75% to 80% full.

I agree the club should check if there is something amiss about the blocks of empty seats,

But just as a small percentage of fans leave it almost to the last minute before buying a ticket so there will always be a small percentage of ST holders who for one reason or another either leave it to last minute to decide not to go or find out they can't.

And it's great that this seems for some to be one of our major "problems" at the moment.

If a seasonticket holder can't make the game hopefully they'd phone up the ticker office, give them their card number, tell them to sell their seat GREAT JOB DONE !

Now what i'm afraid off is that their are so many seats empty in certain sections the worst being H Lower. Now ate these seats paid for by season ticket holders who haven't turned up?

Or is there another reason because i can't understand why so many empty seats in one area.

I THINK ALL FANS WHO WANT AS MUCH INCOME FOR HEARTS WOULD WANT AN ANSWER.

Mistakes in the ticket office have cost Hearts dearly in the past do you remember the 800 cup final tickets that were found in a drawer unsold that Hearts had to pay for. Mistakes cost Hearts i just want to bring this to the attention of people and the question is simple. Are all these empty seats paid for ?

give it a rest man! you're getting boring now

To be clear, it's the full rows of empty seats that I'm on about.

Yes, one or two will be empty here and there but it's the near full rows that point to something wrong with the system imo.

kingantti1874

To be clear, it's the full rows of empty seats that I'm on about.

Yes, one or two will be empty here and there but it's the near full rows that point to something wrong with the system imo.

Maybe not available for sale because being replaced or something? This is a valid question - clear they are met available for sale

Some of the other posts banning fans who can't go every week yet buy their ticket :rofl:

According to official attendance there were 800 empty seats yesterday .. felt about right to me

...a bit disco

2 things the club could possibly do.

1-Make supporters more aware that they can return their seat for a game they can't make. Can't be that hard to get the message out there (through social media and the suchlike) in this day and age.

2-Make it easier to do. Maybe a text service for returning your seat or something similar. I'm sure some people can be a bit put off from phoning due to sometimes waiting an eternity to get through.

scott herbertson

I've been thinking about this (not always the best idea!)

One thing the club could do which would be very simple would be to send everyone on their database (which surely must include nearly all season ticket holders) an e mail every Friday. This could be a standard one to which they could just add that week's press conference outcome.

The e mail could start with a simple statement

"Not using your season ticket this Week? If so fill in the box below with your season ticket seat and we will re-sell it. for every season ticket resold we will donate ?5 to Big Hearts" (or similar).

The ticket office could do a simple check that the email matched the ticket

Would make it simple for people and also provide a reminder each week (and would give us the match build up too)>

Wonder if anyone has ever released their seat, then found out they could make the game and kicked up a fuss if they couldn't get it back......

MacDonald Jardine

Add a loyalty point when a season ticket is scanned or seat resold

That's a new one. Loyalty points for not going to games?

300 odd empty seats in the Roseburn covered with G4S tarpaulin........... if it wasn't for a couple of idiots at the Dundee Utd (i think) game last season, at least half of those would have been available.

stranraer-jambo

Wonder if anyone has ever released their seat, then found out they could make the game and kicked up a fuss if they couldn't get it back......

.....or released their seat and the match was subsequently postponed, then was able to attend the rescheduled match but seat had been resold for the original date......

To be really effective it would need to be a much simpler process. Press a button on an app your seat is released as available there and then . I'm going to be completely honest, I sometimes can't be bothered phoning the ticket office or putting the details in an email. Which I know is terrible, but there you go.

.....or released their seat and the match was subsequently postponed, then was able to attend the rescheduled match but seat had been resold for the original date......

This happened to me and I didn't realise.  I was back in the U.S. so I gave up my seat to the Caley Thistle match in January.  The game was postponed to March midweek.  I went, not remembering, and my card wouldn't scan at the turnstile.

Went to the ticket office and they jogged my memory in explaining what had happened.  Because it was a Wednesday night match and not sold out they were able to give me a seat in the Roseburn free of charge.  Pure class all the way.

Tickets weren't available prior to match, not sure what the story is re the gaps.

Would be interesting seeing attendance vs tickets sold

I would have thought that a number of the seats that were empty have to belong to season ticket holders who have just not bothered to let the club know they will not be attending to release the seat for re-sale.

Some in the Roseburn must have been for those young lads that were banned and I would not have thought they would have got a refund on their seats and they will be miffed at the club and would probably not ask the club to release their seats for re-sale.

What baffles me a bit is how we have total sell-outs but with different attendance figures? I suppose the safety gap in the Roseburn could vary depending on who we play but still a bit odd how the figures differ.

scott herbertson

I would have thought that a number of the seats that were empty have to belong to season ticket holders who have just not bothered to let the club know they will not be attending to release the seat for re-sale.

Some in the Roseburn must have been for those young lads that were banned and I would not have thought they would have got a refund on their seats and they will be miffed at the club and would probably not ask the club to release their seats for re-sale.

What baffles me a bit is how we have total sell-outs but with different attendance figures? I suppose the safety gap in the Roseburn could vary depending on who we play but still a bit odd how the figures differ.

The different figures are because we report the actual attendance not seats sold, which would be much higher

Is there a time warp where you are based. Rudi was a great player for us but the emphasis is on WAS. He is well past his best even for a fairly average SPFL.

The different figures are because we report the actual attendance not seats sold, which would be much higher

Don't disbelieve you but how do you know this.

300 odd empty seats in the Roseburn covered with G4S tarpaulin........... if it wasn't for a couple of idiots at the Dundee Utd (i think) game last season, at least half of those would have been available.

It's a bit more than that actually. I was in Section K of the Roseburn yesterday and counted 12 columns of seats tarpaulined over. The Roseburn has 29 rows, Row 1 of both the Roseburn and Gorgie having long since been removed. I also had 2 Dundee fans sitting right next to me in the home end, who stood up and left as soon as we went 2-0 up!

Still, once the new stand is up next year, these arguments will be null and void, unless the fanbase grows significantly to fill the new capacity, which we all hope it will. Non attending ST holders are still financially supporting the club (and the VATman!) but I agree that the sight of so many empty seats is annoying.

scott herbertson

Don't disbelieve you but how do you know this.

Simply because the figures don't make sense otherwise - eg we were sold out long before yesterday's game and sold several hundred season ticket returns (going by dots which re-appeared and by posts on kickback) - yet the attendance was at least 400 short of the number of seats available even after those unsold because of segregation and poor visibility. If it was seats sold clearly there would have been over 17000 reported for yesterdays game as we had circa 16,900 available to buy and a few hundred were sold twice

Archived