Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Why are people (including me on occasion) willing to pay the exorbitant prices for food and drink in Edinburgh's city center...or more accurately why are these  establishments allowed to blatantly profiteer by completely ripping people off.

Maybe one for the seethe thread...

It doesn't answer your question, but I've often wondered why I'll spend £4 on one coffee from a coffee shop, but then scrape around for a bargain on a jar of coffee that will make loads of cups.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All roads lead to Gorgie
22 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

Of course they're not real :lol: , anything to improve ratings is acceptable.

"Reality" TV is anything but reality. Even Bear Grylls admitted to staying in hotels between filming survival shows.

Another.

22 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the one with les gold and his two idiot children is partly staged, as IIRC i read somewhere that his kids only work there when they film the show o get the money

You can see even American Pickers is a set up. To think they randomly turn up at someones door and find all that stuff. It is obviously set up by the production company which is owned by the presenters anyway!

Konrad von Carstein
57 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I am in the same boat. 

Wait until the festival starts and they go up even higher, ripping off the gullible tourist twats that think it's par for the course. 

Still no doubt those of you on here who live in the city will reap the benefits.....

I'm one of those Edinburghers (?) that avoids the city center as much as possible during the Festival...I stay in Chesser and reap no benefit from the town's profiteering restaurateurs...ironically it was your post about paying £4 for mashed bloody tatties that started my seethe...

Konrad von Carstein
5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. Mind you I knew the price before we went. 

My wife was charged the same for some fancy peas to go with her fish pie..

:muggy:

:oohmatron:

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

Dinny laugh but my daughter had the ham shank. 

Or their take on bacon egg and chips. 

19 raps that cost.

F******g hell, your lunch is like a Benny Hill sketch....

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

:lol:

I had the boring feckin steak pie. Plenty meat in it.

But 4 raps for mash? 

Feck off. 

See what I mean... :lol:

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

so a 19 rap ham shank, fish pie and plenty of meat

Wish we had a"like" function on here...  :(

:lol:

Why do they drive on the left side of the road in the UK, but on the right side in Europe?  I suppose it goes back to the horse and cart era, but the question still applies.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why do they drive on the left side of the road in the UK, but on the right side in Europe?  I suppose it goes back to the horse and cart era, but the question still applies.

I read that it's because most carriage drivers held the whips in their right hands, so this avoided whipping pedestrians

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I read that it's because most carriage drivers held the whips in their right hands, so this avoided whipping pedestrians

I read it was because in the old-en days, our swords were holstered on our left (as they were drawn with your right hand across your body) and would tend to poke out the side of the carriage / horse and cart. Therefore driving on the left would avoid any accidental stabbings from oncoming traffic / pedestrians.

still doesn’t explain why Europe drive on the right though? Presumably they would also holster there swords on there left with the majority of people being right handed?

Samuel Camazzola

Why are HD channels for BBC 2, STV and Channel 4 scattered all over Sky but the SD ones are found in the expected place? 

What makes it more confusing is there has been a recent reorganisation and STV HD and Channel 4 HD have been moved to another random slot. 

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Why are HD channels for BBC 2, STV and Channel 4 scattered all over Sky but the SD ones are found in the expected place? 

What makes it more confusing is there has been a recent reorganisation and STV HD and Channel 4 HD have been moved to another random slot. 

Loads of the sky channels have changed recently. I knew all the numbers off by heart and now I enter the number and go to some random channel. Not happy! ?

peter_hmfc
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

What made the birds angry and why does their anger translate into killing pigs?

Jihad.

1 hour ago, peter_hmfc said:

Jihad.

I've often wondered who the bursd is in your sig...

See if a game goes to extra time after 2nd leg, any goals scored surely don't count as away goals? 

Ie. Marseilles goal tonight in extra time, Salzburg equaliser still would have took it to penalties?

Edited by Wham Bam Austin McCann

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

See if a game goes to extra time after 2nd leg, any goals scored surely don't count as away goals? 

Ie. Marseilles goal tonight in extra time, Salzburg equaliser still would have took it to penalties?

Correct.

It would be unfair to give one team 90 minutes to score double away goals and the other 120

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Correct.

It would be unfair to give one team 90 minutes to score double away goals and the other 120

Yeh that was my thinking just wanted to know for sure. 

Cheers :thumbsup:

Mr Sifter

Putting a plaster on yesterday, it struck me that I've never seen dark skin coloured plasters. So whilst the plaster blends in with my skin, the same plaster would stick out like a sore thumb against the skin of a black guy. So...do they make plasters for black folk and why have I never seen them on sale?

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Putting a plaster on yesterday, it struck me that I've never seen dark skin coloured plasters. So whilst the plaster blends in with my skin, the same plaster would stick out like a sore thumb against the skin of a black guy. So...do they make plasters for black folk and why have I never seen them on sale?

I have never seen them but I googled and here you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortuna-Assorted-Skin-Tone-Plasters-Classic/dp/B00ENF075Q

A friend of mine, that’s black, always says getting skin toned clothes like bra’s, tights etc are a nightmare. 

Mr Sifter
4 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

I have never seen them but I googled and here you go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortuna-Assorted-Skin-Tone-Plasters-Classic/dp/B00ENF075Q

A friend of mine, that’s black, always says getting skin toned clothes like bra’s, tights etc are a nightmare. 

Cheers. Strange that they're not common place in shops tho eh?

27 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Cheers. Strange that they're not common place in shops tho eh?

Clear ones?

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

......on the subject, why is it when you need them in a hurry (plasters) they're such fiddly, time-consuming things to unwrap and stick on?  

2 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Na mate. Black/brown ones. Ones that match any other skin colour other than white. 

Clear ones will match  any skin tone though.  :unsure: 

Mr Sifter
Just now, graygo said:

Clear ones will match  any skin tone though.  :unsure: 

Oooft! Never thought about that ?  

Raises a supplimentary question now tho...why aren't all plasters clear then? Either give us every skin tone out there, or dinnae give us any tones at all!

Im now wondering if shops where the population is predominantly black have coloured plasters as the norm. Do white people in Angola* have to knock about with black plasters on??

*Im assuming Angola has a predominately black population. If that's not the case then obviously I deserve to be shot immediately. 

6 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Oooft! Never thought about that ?  

Raises a supplimentary question now tho...why aren't all plasters clear then? Either give us every skin tone out there, or dinnae give us any tones at all!

Im now wondering if shops where the population is predominantly black have coloured plasters as the norm. Do white people in Angola* have to knock about with black plasters on??

*Im assuming Angola has a predominately black population. If that's not the case then obviously I deserve to be shot immediately. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246199/Because-cuts-aren-t-just-skin-deep-South-African-former-TV-presenter-creates-plasters-black-mixed-race-people-not-marginalised-basic-way.html

@VladMagic

Just watching the snooker. Occasionally a player gets a "kick" off the cue ball. They tend to focus in on the kick and in slow mo so you see the cue ball jump as it hits the target ball.

I'm relatively up to scratch with physics and know equal and opposite reaction (newtons 3rd law) and realise that this "kick" is random. What causes it then? The cue ball is struck with energy from the cue and travels to the target ball then jumps? Physics says that should not happen?

3 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

Just watching the snooker. Occasionally a player gets a "kick" off the cue ball. They tend to focus in on the kick and in slow mo so you see the cue ball jump as it hits the target ball.

I'm relatively up to scratch with physics and know equal and opposite reaction (newtons 3rd law) and realise that this "kick" is random. What causes it then? The cue ball is struck with energy from the cue and travels to the target ball then jumps? Physics says that should not happen?

they believe it might be caused by chalk on the ball. When the cueball hits the target ball if it is a part with the chalk on it then the kick seems to happen. you never seem to see kicks in pool as they use a different type of chalk, one time i did see a kick in pool was with jimmy white who was using his snooker type chalk

13 hours ago, milky_26 said:

they believe it might be caused by chalk on the ball. When the cueball hits the target ball if it is a part with the chalk on it then the kick seems to happen. you never seem to see kicks in pool as they use a different type of chalk, one time i did see a kick in pool was with jimmy white who was using his snooker type chalk

Any idea why pool and snooker have historically used different chalks?

12 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Any idea why pool and snooker have historically used different chalks?

Nope I only remember them saying that when Jimmy white got his kick while playing pool

On 04/05/2018 at 00:09, Smithee said:

Correct.

Away goals count double in extra time, the home team have the advantage of an extra 30 minutes at home

Edited by XB52
Predictive text

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Away goals count double in extra time, the home team have the advantage of an extra 30 minutes at home

I don't believe they do mate

Away goals do count in extra time.

Example from reading into this a while ago. 

Rangers FC* vs Club from Portugal. 

Both legs 3-2 to the home sides. 

Extra time in the second leg made it 4-3 so ref started a penalty shootout. Rangers lost the shootout.

Then Rangers FC appealed decision based on having more away goals. Appeal successful. 

*not to be confused with a current Scottish team with a similar name. 

30 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I’ve never heard that before. Are you sure?

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Away goals do count in extra time.

Example from reading into this a while ago. 

Rangers FC* vs Club from Portugal. 

Both legs 3-2 to the home sides. 

Extra time in the second leg made it 4-3 so ref started a penalty shootout. Rangers lost the shootout.

Then Rangers FC appealed decision based on having more away goals. Appeal successful. 

*not to be confused with a current Scottish team with a similar name. 

I don't remember that, I'd think that I would too. 

I'm 95% sure that the rules for away goals only count within regulation time, at least these days anyway, I thought it had always been like that but happy to be shown otherwise.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Twins, I've never seen the attraction. 

Clearly not been on the right websites.

PM me

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm 95% sure that the rules for away goals only count within regulation time, at least these days anyway, I thought it had always been like that but happy to be shown otherwise.

It was back in 1971 - not long after the away goals rule had been introduced.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

2467138_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Article20:

1.   For matches played under the knockout system, if the two teams involved in a tie score the same number of goals over the two legs, the team which scores more away goals qualifies for the next stage. If this procedure does not produce a result, i.e. if both teams score the same number of goals at home and away, two 15-minute periods of extra time are played at the end of the second leg. If both teams score the same number of goals during extra time, away goals count double (i.e. the visiting team qualifies). If no goals are scored during extra time, kicks from the penalty mark determine which team qualifies for the next stage. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/sep/04/forgotten-story-rangers-1972-european-cup-winners

12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Twins, I've never seen the attraction. 

Would.

Would.

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, Doogz said:

It was back in 1971 - not long after the away goals rule had been introduced.

4 minutes ago, gjcc said:

2467138_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Article20:

1.   For matches played under the knockout system, if the two teams involved in a tie score the same number of goals over the two legs, the team which scores more away goals qualifies for the next stage. If this procedure does not produce a result, i.e. if both teams score the same number of goals at home and away, two 15-minute periods of extra time are played at the end of the second leg. If both teams score the same number of goals during extra time, away goals count double (i.e. the visiting team qualifies). If no goals are scored during extra time, kicks from the penalty mark determine which team qualifies for the next stage. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/sep/04/forgotten-story-rangers-1972-european-cup-winners

This was 46 years ago, not surprised I didn't know that!

Cheers though, live and learn eh?

FWIW pretty sure it hasn't been the case for a long time though

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This was 46 years ago, not surprised I didn't know that!

Cheers though, live and learn eh?

FWIW pretty sure it hasn't been the case for a long time though

2017/18 champions league regulations not current enough?

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

2017/18 champions league regulations not current enough?

Didn't see that mentioned buddy, I only saw the 1972 date at the bottom of your post. If those are the current rules, fair enough I hold my hands up

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Wood. 

Wood.

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Image result for devito schwarzenegger

Very good guys.

Keep it up :oohmatron:

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’ve never heard that before. Are you sure?

Not sure if they do here, but I think they do in the play offs in England, and the two legged League cup matches, but as the poster said, only in extra time, for the reason he gave.