Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

52 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

This popped in my head today after a text from the dentist.

He is off sick, so what does his assistant do all day?

833ACD57-93F5-4D67-9D67-08D1784179A8.gif

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 13/11/2017 at 14:33, Doogz said:

That may well be a factor but also: If you're walking into a 15mph wind at an average speed of 3mph then the relative wind speed would be 18mph.
Walking away from the same wind at the same speed the relative wind speed is 12mph.

albert-einstein-photo-u42?w=650&q=50&fm=

On 13/11/2017 at 18:13, hughesie27 said:

This popped in my head today after a text from the dentist.

He is off sick, so what does his assistant do all day?

Work with one of the other dentists if necessary, help the receptionist with paperwork / answering the ‘phone / cancelling and rearranging appointments, restocking the surgery.

And sitting in the staffroom having coffees....

Edited by FWJ

39 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Work with one of the other dentists if necessary, help the receptionist with paperwork / answering the ‘phone / cancelling and rearranging appointments, restocking the surgery.

And sitting in the staffroom having coffees....

You're forgetting the hours of practice that are required to pour the perfect plastic cup of mouthwash. ;)

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

You're forgetting the hours of practice that are required to pour the perfect plastic cup of mouthwash. ;)

And to force four different implements into your mouth at the same time.

6C0AAF89-556A-4DE3-A14F-3D5E44D7CA13.jpeg

Edited by Morgan

Samuel Camazzola

Why do scaffs/neds/jakeys/schemies like to crouch in public places? It's a common pose for these breeds whether they are on the phone, having a fag or waiting on a bus. 

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Why do scaffs/neds/jakeys/schemies like to crouch in public places? It's a common pose for these breeds whether they are on the phone, having a fag or waiting on a bus. 

Too difficult to obtain balance on ones legs whilst attempting to speak and/or breathe at the same time.

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

They have yet to evolve in the same way as the rest of us

Image result for primitive man

What boggles my mind is how on earth Kevin Spacey has not had his head kicked in.

If a bloke grabbed my ****** I would put him in hospital without thinking twice.

16 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

What time is it at the North Pole, where all the time zones meet at a single point?

Essentially whatever time you want it to be. :)

Often for multinational expeditions/activities it's agreed to use GMT, but there's nothing to stop you using any time zone you want to.

Same goes for the South Pole, although the Amundsen-Scott station there observes New Zealand Standard Time (NZST) and New Zealand Daylight Time (NZDT) since all official travel to the station goes through New Zealand.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone on here will definitely know but I cant find anything online. What is the old prison looking building in the firth of forth pretty much directly below the middle of the forth road bridge? Always wondered. May have answered my own question as it looks like a prison but didnt think it would be. 

11 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Someone on here will definitely know but I cant find anything online. What is the old prison looking building in the firth of forth pretty much directly below the middle of the forth road bridge? Always wondered. May have answered my own question as it looks like a prison but didnt think it would be. 

Inchgarvie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inchgarvie

It was indeed used as a prison at one time, but a long while ago.

• 3 weeks later...
luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, FWJ said:

Why are sandwiches cut diagonally ‘posher’ than those cut straight across?

Ya dancer, I'm a posh fekr :cheers:

7 hours ago, FWJ said:

Why are sandwiches cut diagonally ‘posher’ than those cut straight across?

Is it because they look bigger?    Tricky one.

Daft geography questions:

Why is Reno Nevada further west than Los Angeles California?

Why is well-inland Toronto further east than east-coast Miami?

Why is Toronto, Canada further south than Milan, Italy?

Clearly, someone has messed up. :wink:

25 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Daft geography questions:

Why is Reno Nevada further west than Los Angeles California?

Why is well-inland Toronto further east than east-coast Miami?

Why is Toronto, Canada further south than Milan, Italy?

Clearly, someone has messed up. :wink:

Mercator is the boy to blame. 

What's the difference between "twice cooked" and reheated? Technically my leftover curry is twice cooked when I stick it in the microwave the next day.

Football related:

a footballer fouls the opposition with a bookable offence.  The ref doesn’t book him immediately, as he waves play on for the advantage.  The same player then fouls again, before the ball has gone out of play, or has stopped.   Does the referee then show him two separate yellow cards, and therefore a red?

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

Football related:

a footballer fouls the opposition with a bookable offence.  The ref doesn’t book him immediately, as he waves play on for the advantage.  The same player then fouls again, before the ball has gone out of play, or has stopped.   Does the referee then show him two separate yellow cards, and therefore a red?

Would depend, who's the referee and what team does the player play for? :65:

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

Football related:

Surely 2 seperate yellows? Otherwise you could pretty much do what u want after a ref says play on? 

Another football one; if a player takes a penalty & the ref orders it to be taken again, for whatever reason, does it have to be the same player who takes it? 

1 hour ago, Pennywise said:

Did the dinosaurs all become extinct when a meteor hit the earth, or have the evolved into birds?

Nearly all land based ones were wiped out but bird-types, amphibians and crocodile related dinosaurs survived.

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

Would depend, who's the referee and what team does the player play for? :65:

I suspect that is the correct answer. 

18 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Surely 2 seperate yellows? Otherwise you could pretty much do what u want after a ref says play on? 

Another football one; if a player takes a penalty & the ref orders it to be taken again, for whatever reason, does it have to be the same player who takes it? 

not sure about the pen one, and to add to it, say the goalkeeper gets injured during the shootout can you put one of the outfield players in goal for the remaining penalties?

27 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

not sure about the pen one, and to add to it, say the goalkeeper gets injured during the shootout can you put one of the outfield players in goal for the remaining penalties?

According to https://www.quora.com/What-happens-if-a-goalkeeper-is-injured-in-a-penalty-shootout

The Referee must carefully judge the goalkeeper's injury and the possibility that the goalkeeper can or cannot continue to play.

The Laws of the Game: Procedures to Determine the Winner of a Match specifies that

A goalkeeper who is injured while kicks are being taken from the penalty mark and is unable to continue as goalkeeper may be replaced by a named substitute, provided his team has not used the maximum number of substitutes permitted under the competition rules.

If the team has no remaining substitutions to be put in, from the "named substitutes" on the game roster, the goalkeeper may be replaced from the players remaining on the field.  If the injured goalkeeper cannot take his turn at a kick from the penalty mark, he may be allowed to withdraw from the game, and the opposing team will remove one of its players to reduce its "side" to equate with the injured goalkeeper's team.

51 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

According to http://asktheref.com/Soccer Rules/Question/23639/, no. The second penalty kick is treated as being a completely different penalty kick.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

According to http://asktheref.com/Soccer Rules/Question/23639/, no. The second penalty kick is treated as being a completely different penalty kick.

in regards to this, in chile IIRC there was a penalty shoot out to decide the last promotion place and the ref disallowed one of the pens due to a stuttering run up. He however did not allow a re-take and marked it as a miss. I wonder if this was correct

Just now, milky_26 said:

in regards to this, in chile IIRC there was a penalty shoot out to decide the last promotion place and the ref disallowed one of the pens due to a stuttering run up. He however did not allow a re-take and marked it as a miss. I wonder if this was correct

Yup, this one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42497923

The problem was that the ref allowed a retake when he should have declared the penalty as "missed" because of the stuttering run-up.

I find it all unusual though because from time to time I still see penalty takers using a stuttering run-up.

According to http://www.asktheref.com/Soccer Rules/Question/23689/, if the feint is at the start of the run-up, no problem, if it is at the end, "missed penalty". But what if it is in the middle of the run-up? Me, I would ban any feinting or stuttering at all in the run-up.

If someone is born in Scotland and holds a UK passport but represents, say, Ireland in football, is it correct to refer to that person as Irish or an Irishman? Just watching Liverpool vs Everton and was thinking of James McCarthy. Just annoys me when he is referred to as being Irish when he isn't (that didn't happen in commentary but have heard it before).

13 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

If someone is born in Scotland and holds a UK passport but represents, say, Ireland in football, is it correct to refer to that person as Irish or an Irishman? Just watching Liverpool vs Everton and was thinking of James McCarthy. Just annoys me when he is referred to as being Irish when he isn't (that didn't happen in commentary but have heard it before).

If he also holds Irish citizenship, I'd say it's just as correct to say he's Irish as he is British. 

Planets in our solar system  - why are they all round?  Not jagged lumps. With hardly any atmosphere - how do they weather into spheres?

3fingersreid

Watching the Norwich v Chelsea snooze fest , I’m wondering what the 10 digit number that’s up in the top right hand side of the screen is for ? 

luckyBatistuta
15 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

Planets in our solar system  - why are they all round?  Not jagged lumps. With hardly any atmosphere - how do they weather into spheres?

A planets gravity pulls equally from all sides and gravity pulls from the centre.

19 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A planets gravity pulls equally from all sides and gravity pulls from the centre.

Sorry- but still not sure how that produces a symmetrical sphere - but maybe I'm just a bit condensed at the moment so don't worry  :jambobanana:

luckyBatistuta
42 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

Sorry- but still not sure how that produces a symmetrical sphere - but maybe I'm just a bit condensed at the moment so don't worry  :jambobanana:

One day it will all become clear my friend

E7D299C4-5FD7-4776-8C3D-C862016CECAD.gif

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

One day it will all become clear my friend

E7D299C4-5FD7-4776-8C3D-C862016CECAD.gif

Thank you, oh wise one

7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:laugh: that’s why I’m driving a black cab

But, your cab - it's not a normal cab, no? More of a time capsule?

luckyBatistuta
Just now, robroy1874 said:

But, your cab - it's not a normal cab, no? More of a time capsule?

Lost count of how many times I wished it was.

Oh wise one - do not wish to take more of your precious energy, need to sign off and have a wee bevvy (that's a few drinks in our earth planet) . May the great  force of our leader Craigstorm be with us in our struggle against the great unwashed popcorn teeth horde  - ok, I'm off now

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, robroy1874 said:

Oh wise one - do not wish to take more of your precious energy, need to sign off and have a wee bevvy (that's a few drinks in our earth planet) . May the great  force of our leader Craigstorm be with us in our struggle against the great unwashed popcorn teeth horde  - ok, I'm off now

:gok: off yer heed :thumbsup:

robroy is officially off his head tonight.

It makes delicious viewing and I fully endorse his style and attitude.

My thanks to our fellow earthlings and our great leader Craigstorm - Morgan is quite correct to identify the fact that i may indeed have partooked of a bottle or two tonight. However the fact remains that Luckybar thingy has not as yet adequately explained why planets are round and Fester Road is square - ok, I'm aff - well I might have another wee one (drink that is)

5 hours ago, robroy1874 said:

Gravity.  It has nothing to do with weather.

If the body is large enough, gravity pulls everything toward the centre, and the body becomes round.  Smaller bodies, like asteroids, have insufficient gravity, so they remain irregular shaped.

9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Gravity.  It has nothing to do with weather.

If the body is large enough, gravity pulls everything toward the centre, and the body becomes round.  Smaller bodies, like asteroids, have insufficient gravity, so they remain irregular shaped.

OK  - thanks for that, but- if its true that if a body is large enough, gravity pulls everything towards the centre how come big Deirdre from Craigmillar is still kind of jagged? Eh?