GTFster

Harry Palmer

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I think its wrong to single out a Centre half and say he was shite, gash, pish etc...

The middle of defence has to be about both players, they must compliment each other, they must think along similar lines and most of all they must communicate with each other. Apart from the odd glaring error by each of them it can be difficult to apportion blame onto one or the other because they are supposed to be working together.

As I have said already, I don't think they get along and that comes across on the pitch, but for the good of HMFC I think Webster is a better centre half and I would start with him every week.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its wrong to single out a Centre half and say he was shite, gash, pish etc...

The middle of defence has to be about both players, they must compliment each other, they must think along similar lines and most of all they must communicate with each other. Apart from the odd glaring error by each of them it can be difficult to apportion blame onto one or the other because they are supposed to be working together.

As I have said already, I don't think they get along and that comes across on the pitch, but for the good of HMFC I think Webster is a better centre half and I would start with him every week.

:awlove:

portobellojambo1

Come off it PJ, he's been far from his best. Folk saying he's been shit are away with it, but he's certainly not been brilliant so far. Good in some games, not so good in others.

There's not one Hearts fan who wants him to be gash when he plays. I don't like him, but wanting him to be anything other than top class for us would be nonsense.

I never said he has performed to his best nor did I say he has performed at a level some people/pundits class as brilliant FB. I said that I thought he performed well last week, and I think when he is on the park he makes a difference to our defence, which is different from saying he has been performing brilliantly every week.

I certainly don't think he is near the same level he was at when previously playing for us, as at that time he was the best defender in Scotland by an absolute country mile. He hasn't reached that level again yet (I don't expect he will to be honest), did play exceptionally well against Hibs in the 2-2 draw towards the end of last season, but even playing at the level he is now he is still by far our best central defender, and those that don't want him in our team I would contend have more of an anti Webster agenda than a pro Hearts agenda.

But, again, each to their own, as I said previously.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I never said he has performed to his best nor did I say he has performed at a level some people/pundits class as brilliant FB. I said that I thought he performed well last week, and I think when he is on the park he makes a difference to our defence, which is different from saying he has been performing brilliantly every week.

I certainly don't think he is near the same level he was at when previously playing for us, as at that time he was the best defender in Scotland by an absolute country mile. He hasn't reached that level again yet, did play exceptionally well against Hibs in the 2-2 draw towards the end of last season, but even playing at the level he is now he is still by far our best central defender, and those that don't want him in our team I would contend have more of an anti Webster agenda than a pro Hearts agenda.

To clarify, I don't want No 6 at the club at all.

While he's here, if he plays I want him to play to the best of his ability, just like I wanted Rix to manage to the best of his ability (which wasn't very high of course).

He was shite against Inverness... yet folk go after the easy targets.

He may have been shite, but other players were shiter, he certainly wasn't the shitiest in a shitey team performance.

Obua, now we are are talking crap!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I hate No 6.

I hate it when he plays for us, irrespective of how well he does.

That is all.

A guy in Australia hates him.

That'll be a massive blow for the lad.

Geoff Kilpatrick

A guy in Australia hates him.

That'll be a massive blow for the lad.

I think someone did that funny a few posts back.

Do keep up!

portobellojambo1

To clarify, I don't want No 6 at the club at all.

While he's here, if he plays I want him to play to the best of his ability, just like I wanted Rix to manage to the best of his ability (which wasn't very high of course).

I certainly don't have a problem with people having that opinion Geoff. It isn't one I agree with, but people are entitled to think that way.

But using that sort of opinion as the basis on which you then judge how someone is performing (and I ain't talking about you personally), and as a result of that opinion failing to recognise when he is doing well (even as I say if overall performance level is not as good as when he was previously with us) is something I cannot understand.

I will give an honest opinion on how I feel players have played every week, whether or not they are players I like a little more than others.

I've also long got over his departure. At the time he left he was effectively told if he didn't agree to sign another contract he would sit in the stand until his contract was up, then leave us for nothing, But while sitting in the stand we would continue to pay him (and his pay at that time was only around 40% of his then central defensive partner). His agent then made him aware of an existing rule which he could use, which meant he had the choice of sitting in the stand and picking up around ?300,000 in his remaining year. Alternatively he could move onto a new club, continue to play football while potentially earning a salary closer to ?900K - ?1 million a year. If I had been in his position I think it would have taken me around 5 seconds to decide that if there was an existing rule there I could use I would use it. I think in reality I was more upset by the appeal we put in following the original decision, we had a chance to get around ?650K for him (iirc), and appealed that initial decision and ended up costing ourselves a lot of money.

Partridge drove me to make this thread....it could have all been so amicable Alan.

Disappointing. :(

Geoff Kilpatrick

I certainly don't have a problem with people having that opinion Geoff. It isn't one I agree with, but people are entitled to think that way.

But using that sort of opinion as the basis on which you then judge how someone is performing, and as a result of that opinion failing to recognise when he is doing well (even as I say if overall performance level is not as good as when he was previously with us) is something I cannot understand.

I will give an honest opinion on how I feel players have played every week, whether or not they are players I like a little more than others.

I've also long got over his departure. At the time he left he was effectively told if he didn't agree to sign another contract he would sit in the stand until his contract was up, then leave us for nothing, But while sitting in the stand we would continue to pay him (and his pay at that time was only around 30% of his then central defensive partner). His agent then made him aware of an existing rule which he could use, which meant he had the choice of sitting in the stand and picking up around ?300,000 in his remaining year. Alternatively he could move onto a new club, continue to play football while potentially earning a salary closer to ?900K - ?1 million a year. If I had been in his position I think it would have taken me around 5 seconds to decide that if there was an existing rule there I could use I would use it. I think in reality I was more upset by the appeal we put in following the original decision, we had a chance to get around ?650K for him, and appealed that initial decision and ended up costing ourselves a lot of money.

Fair enough mate.

Some people seem to have trouble with my stance though. :whistling:

PJ1 my opinion is based on his on-field displays. He did have a great 8mins at Mordor where he nearly gave a goal away...so it's all good.

The fact that he shafted Heart of Midlothian and returned means I "have" to love him...nah.

What are you slavering about now, Arnold? :rolleyes:

GTFster likes Liverpool.

Oh and the Stevenson thread....

I'm going to be really tedious like the Captain Zal/Mrowiec/Obua haters...

Fair enough mate.

Some people seem to have trouble with my stance though. :whistling:

I kind of agree with you, if he continues to play week in week out my stance may change but what won't is the fact I think he's a *****

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

GTFster likes Liverpool.

Oh and the Stevenson thread....

I'm going to be really tedious like the Captain Zal/Mrowiec/Obua haters...

What the **** are you talking about? :rofl:

I certainly don't think he is near the same level he was at when previously playing for us, as at that time he was the best defender in Scotland by an absolute country mile. He hasn't reached that level again yet (I don't expect he will to be honest), did play exceptionally well against Hibs in the 2-2 draw towards the end of last season, but even playing at the level he is now he is still by far our best central defender, and those that don't want him in our team I would contend have more of an anti Webster agenda than a pro Hearts agenda.

I perhaps phrased my last post wrong. I don't think there are people who want him to play badly, I think that's rubbish. There are people who don't like him, people who don't want him at the club and people who will be hyper-critical, but no one wants him to play badly for Hearts and no one dislikes him for football reasons.

The reason I talked about how well he has been playing is because I don't think he has done particularly well for us since he arrived. He's had some very good performances, his best at Easter Road, and he's had some awful performances, including St Mirren last season. I said when he arrived that he would have to play very well to win me over, and he's just not done enough so far. At least he now seems to be fit, though, which is a bonus.

As I said earlier in this, he can be top class for us again, but he has to stay fit, put in the effort and cut out the sloppiness that's been a feature of his game since he came back.

portobellojambo1

PJ1 my opinion is based on his on-field displays. He did have a great 8mins at Mordor where he nearly gave a goal away...so it's all good.

The fact that he shafted Heart of Midlothian and returned means I "have" to love him...nah.

As I said to Geoff, I have no problems with people disliking him as a person, none at all.

But I would ask you one question without knowing what you are employed as. If another company in the same line of business was going to potentially triple or quadruple your existing income with immediate effect would you turn that chance down out of some sort of loyalty, and prefer to sit out what I suppose could be classed as a year's gardening leave on much lower income.

:laugh:

In case anyone missed it, "The Comedian" thought the troll smiley was appropriate! :facepalm:

That's right.

Tell me, did you celebrate Mr Webster's stunning goal against Hibs the other week?

::troll:::'>

Geoff Kilpatrick

That's right.

Tell me, did you celebrate Mr Webster's stunning goal against Hibs the other week?

::troll:::'>

You mean the one credited to Eggert Jonsson?

Yes, yes I did.

You may note that it isn't incompatible with my stance on No6 but good try....

As I said to Geoff, I have no problems with people disliking him as a person, none at all.

But I would ask you one question without knowing what you are employed as. If another company in the same line of business was going to potentially triple or quadruple your existing income with immediate effect would you turn that chance down out of some sort of loyalty, and prefer to sit out what I suppose could be classed as a year's gardening leave on much lower income.

So why did he do what he did?

Couple of months and a transfer fee received.

Cool, I'll inform the NHS..

He was great at Wigan though...

You mean the one credited to Eggert Jonsson?

Yes, yes I did.

You may note that it isn't incompatible with my stance on No6 but good try....

You sure about that Jeffrey?

I draw your attention to the article on the club site titled, Webby's goal - Official.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You sure about that Jeffrey?

I draw your attention to the article on the club site titled, Webby's goal - Official.

At the time the goal was scored you said.

It was credited to Eggert at the time.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Actually.....

It wasn't.

Actually.....

It wasn't.

It was but Scott Wilson must have had a look to correct himself.

Still, great defender who exposed Kello to getting injured. Great eh?

It was but Scott Wilson must have had a look to correct himself.

Still, great defender who exposed Kello to getting injured. Great eh?

Scott Wilson knew.

Andrew is a stunning defender and I admire him greatly.

He's a real hero.

Hope this helps!

Were you at the game? I suspect you watched online. It was clearly Webster's goal.

So much hatred. Sad times.

Glad to be of assistance.

I perhaps phrased my last post wrong. I don't think there are people who want him to play badly, I think that's rubbish. There are people who don't like him, people who don't want him at the club and people who will be hyper-critical, but no one wants him to play badly for Hearts and no one dislikes him for football reasons.

The reason I talked about how well he has been playing is because I don't think he has done particularly well for us since he arrived. He's had some very good performances, his best at Easter Road, and he's had some awful performances, including St Mirren last season. I said when he arrived that he would have to play very well to win me over, and he's just not done enough so far. At least he now seems to be fit, though, which is a bonus.

As I said earlier in this, he can be top class for us again, but he has to stay fit, put in the effort and cut out the sloppiness that's been a feature of his game since he came back.

Long story short, PJ1 is trying to big him up when he has been nothing more than average since his arrival at the club. Mainly PJ is bigging him up because people are slating him, not because he has stood out at all on the park.

I think we could've brought in a better, fitter centre half in the summer if we had Paulo in place and he got a say in what players could come to the club.

In the end JJ brought in Webster in January (Vlad was also keen allegedly) and he was on a free so not a bad piece of business I suppose, as long as he plays.

The Rix analogy is a good one in as much as I have no interest in them as people whatsoever but I expect them to do well for HMFC. If this doesn't transpire then I want them out the door asap. (Not comparing Webster to a child abuser, but the point is valid, imo).

Geoff Kilpatrick

Were you at the game? I suspect you watched online. It was clearly Webster's goal.

So much hatred. Sad times.

Glad to be of assistance.

I watched online. It was No 6's goal, yes, but the officials at the time credited it to Jonsson, erroneously. The linesman never flagged and the referee had played on.

As for hatred, some of us have been consistent in our viewpoint since he did the dirty on HMFC.

Fickle football fans eh?

Some maybe but not all. I wasn`t angry or "seething" like some fans who think players owe them something, just a bit miffed.

Clubs shaft players, players shaft clubs and it also happens in everyday life in many other workplaces......Its maybe not nice but it`s life.

Cannae be bothered with the drama queen Hearts fans who take it so personally? weird to be honest.

Webster is back and if he shows commitment on the park, where it really all matters, then i`d guess most will be happy. He also conducts himself well as a representative of the club and that counts too.

Some maybe but not all. I wasn`t angry or "seething" like some fans who think players owe them something, just a bit miffed.

Clubs shaft players, players shaft clubs and it also happens in everyday life in many other workplaces......Its maybe not nice but it`s life.

Cannae be bothered with the drama queen Hearts fans who take it so personally? weird to be honest.

Webster is back and if he shows commitment on the park, where it really all matters, then i`d guess most will be happy. He also conducts himself well as a representative of the club and that counts too.

I dont have to read the pages of crap on this subject this above sums it up perfectly.

Rather than risk further injury or force PS to use a sub he unselfishly owns up, giving up the opportunity of a win bonus.

He's a class act is Andrew.

Rather than risk further injury or force PS to use a sub he unselfishly owns up, giving up the opportunity of a win bonus.

He's a class act is Andrew.

:lol:

What this thread shows is that opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one

This thread is absolutely chock full of them

PS at the derby the goal was awarded to Eggy, it was only after the game had restarted that Scott Wilson corrected it

I miss Bouzid, Webster and Bouzid would have been a fine partnership IMO. He'd have been able to cover for any lapses in concentration from "the stroller".

Bouzid was awful mate. Rash in the tackle spent too much time grabbing the guy he was meant to mark and was regularly out jumped by centre forwards.

I think Webster and Zaliukis will be a decent SPL partnership.

Archived