HMRC Freeze Rangers Bank Accounts? Martin Bain Story (merged)

Charlie-Brown

Note that Hearts accounts have carried similar indications of an ongoing investigation for the past 3 years. That may well come to an end before too long. :down:

Was that not settled with HMRC, by us paying in full, and that in turn was what created the current cash flow problems? :unsure:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Walter Bishop

So for those of us that don't have a clue aboit finances and shares... What does/can tgis mean???

:vrface:

Footballfirst

Was that not settled with HMRC, by us paying in full, and that in turn was what created the current cash flow problems? :unsure:

Not to my knowledge - I believe that the recent difficulties were in paying our normal PAYE / NICs. Re the ongoing investigation, I heard a suggestion that the club believe that if there is tax to pay from previous years then it is down to the former players to pay it. If that is the case Hearts may have been paying players "Gross". I doubt that HMRC would accept that argument though.

However, we can't be certain until our own accounts for 2010/11 are finally published (has to be before 31/03/12)

RudiMustScore

Trading has been suspended for the majority shareholding but minority shareholder can still trade. This is down to the hmrc dispute which affected the production of audited accounts. Apparently only a temporary blip and full audited accounts are due out soon. Rangers could eventually be forced into admin if they don't but this is highly unlikely unless craig whyte and his board allow/want it to happen.

:thumbsup:

So for those of us that don't have a clue aboit finances and shares... What does/can tgis mean???

No idea, where did you hear/read about tgis?

I presume it's an achronism for something? :unsure:

I P Knightley

Trading has been suspended for the majority shareholding but minority shareholder can still trade. This is down to the hmrc dispute which affected the production of audited accounts. Apparently only a temporary blip and full audited accounts are due out soon. Rangers could eventually be forced into admin if they don't but this is highly unlikely unless craig whyte and his board allow/want it to happen.

:thumbsup:

It simply means that shares can't be traded through the PLUS exchange. If anyone wanted to buy/sell shares through private transaction, they would be able to.

Effectively, it's a black mark to investors that all is not as it should be at Rangers.

Their response is "Yah-boo. It doesn't matter to us because we don't want to be in your silly little gang anyway." It's actually a fair point. When you've got one guy owning 85% of the shares & the remainder in the hands of fans and individuals, it's very unlikely that there's any value to having a listing on a stock exchange; that's only valuable when you have the potential for a decent number of transactions and/or you're seeking to bring in new (professional) investors. These don't apply to rangers, nor most football clubs who are left well alone by the City.

No idea, where did you hear/read about tgis?

I presume it's an achronism for something? :unsure:

I'm hoping (but not really suspecting) that that's tongue in cheek.

That was widely assumed as the tax bill and lack of time to clear it evidently came as a bit of a shock however there is still some doubt.

Not to my knowledge - I believe that the recent difficulties were in paying our normal PAYE / NICs. Re the ongoing investigation, I heard a suggestion that the club believe that if there is tax to pay from previous years then it is down to the former players to pay it. If that is the case Hearts may have been paying players "Gross". I doubt that HMRC would accept that argument though.

However, we can't be certain until our own accounts for 2010/11 are finally published (has to be before 31/03/12)

The BBC reported that the current issues were part of an ongoing situation

Hearts say they have paid an outstanding tax bill in full following a threat to put the club into administration.

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs had gone to court to try to recoup the money they were owed by the Tynecastle club.

But Hearts have told BBC Scotland the bill was settled in full on Tuesday.

Hearts were issued with a winding-up order by HMRC in 2009 over the same case.

Tuesday, 16 August 2011 18:18 UK http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14535366.stm

Reporters did check with HMRC who said there were no further outstanding bills but that doesn't make things absolutely clear

It all suggests to me that the impending threat is no longer impending having now arrived and has been causing trouble for the last few months but as FootballFirst points out there is still confusion.

And the main reason there is still confusion is that the Scottish press have chosen to treat it as a pantomime about Ebeneezer Romanov and the poor impoverished players as opposed to taking it seriously and trying to find out what was actually going on.

I'm hoping (but not really suspecting) that that's tongue in cheek.

Would have been better if I'd spelled acronym correctly.

:facepalm:

No excuses, sorry.

:facepalm:

well i never!!! the BBC managed to report this on reporting scotland in a very calm and matter of fact way. couldn't have been nicer in fact.

well i'm pweased... vewy pweased. this heralds in a new era of sensible and balanced reporting upon the financial affairs of scottish football clubs. so when the next thing happens at tynecastle there will be the same sort of 'light touch' reporting.

delighted.

well i never!!! the BBC managed to report this on reporting scotland in a very calm and matter of fact way. couldn't have been nicer in fact.

well i'm pweased... vewy pweased. this heralds in a new era of sensible and balanced reporting upon the financial affairs of scottish football clubs. so when the next thing happens at tynecastle there will be the same sort of 'light touch' reporting.

deluded.

Changed that for you!

PS I really do get the irony, honest!

What does this mean in practical terms? Presumably it doesnt stop them buying and selling players.

It means by the end of the month the board will have to accept how deep in the brown stuff they really are. Watch out for a PR blitz to keep hoodwinking their fans. :lol:

delighted.

Arf...! :P

Rangers shares were trading at 12.5p before yesterday?s suspension on the Plus exchange, a figure that has been static over the past six weeks but down from a high over the past 12 months of 32.5p.

laugh.gif

Hagar the Horrible

The Large tax case continues next week, in private however. here we have a legal debate that depending on the outcome will mean the total and completes obliteration of one of the biggest clubs in the world. played down by the Scottish media who are in denial themselves and the world media who could not care less :lol:

Rangers wont collapse or disappear.

But the may potentially be financially scuppered for a long time to come.

Cracking stuff.

Just a shame we are not in a financial state outrselves to cherry pick over the carcass during the imminent FIRE SALE!

Skivingatwork

I'm surprised that we've got time to discuss the woes of rangers finances and imminent fire sale given that we were told we'd be in the middle of one ourselves come January.

Or do the press in scotland not use an even handed approach to reporting?

(Cant post a sarcastic smiley on my mobile)

Francis Albert

delighted.

I only see the Hearts extracts from Sportscene posted on here, so I have naturally assumed that the Rangers highlights are always introduced by a smirking Rob McLean with a wee quip along the lines (up to a few weeks ago) "Rangers may have their troubles off the field but they continue to sweep all before them on it" or "Rangers may not be keeping the tax man happy but their fans have nothing to complain about)" or (more recently) "Craig Whyte admits he has forgotten why he was banned for seven years as a company director, and now Rangers seem to have forgotten how to hold onto a big lead in the SPL".

Surely?

I only see the Hearts extracts from Sportscene posted on here, so I have naturally assumed that the Rangers highlights are always introduced by a smirking Rob McLean with a wee quip along the lines (up to a few weeks ago) "Rangers may have their troubles off the field but they continue to sweep all before them on it" or "Rangers may not be keeping the tax man happy but their fans have nothing to complain about)" or (more recently) "Craig Whyte admits he has forgotten why he was banned for seven years as a company director, and now Rangers seem to have forgotten how to hold onto a big lead in the SPL".

Surely?

Traynor & Gordon on Sportsound basically swept it under the carpet last night. Seems that as nobody is buying the shares it doesn't matter was the jist I got. No mention at all about why the accounts have not been audited. Noticed today that the Daily Ranger don't even have a story about it, much less a broken crest.

The communist party have got it all wrong it seems. You don't need to control the press to ensure they do what you want, it's much easier to give them a lift on your private jet and treat them to slap up meals.

Scotland - the home of non-investigative journalism

What I dont understand is why can Rangers still be interested in signing players. There really should be a stop on their spending until the outcome of the case

What I dont understand is why can Rangers still be interested in signing players. There really should be a stop on their spending until the outcome of the case

The argument (rightly or wrongly) is that there is no debt to HMRC, until the case is actually lost. :blink:

Have it on very good authority that they need to sell before they buy or at the very least lose some people off the wage bill.

Very much the same as us, not that you would know it given the press in this country.

If players are willing to sign contracts despite the questions marks over Rangers ability to fullfill them in forthcoming years then they're free to do so.

You may think they're making a stupid mistake but it's their mistake to make and chances are Rangers will have to compensate them for the risk they're taking,

Gary O'Connor is a perfect match as he also won't know how much of any contract he can honour until the resolution of a court case.

If players are willing to sign contracts despite the questions marks over Rangers ability to fullfill them in forthcoming years then they're free to do so.

You may think they're making a stupid mistake but it's their mistake to make and chances are Rangers will have to compensate them for the risk they're taking,

Gary O'Connor is a perfect match as he also won't know how much of any contract he can honour until the resolution of a court case.

Can only assume some players, O'conner or Sandaza for example, will be signing on for double the money. They have half a season left on their contracts so even if they rangers go bust after 3 months they will be quids in and have a better club on their CV.

Footballfirst

I see that Craig Whyte is back on the court list for the Court of Session today, but it is Whyte v Whyte this time. Looks like a divorce case. I wonder if Kim is looking for half his assets, i.e. half of RFC's and any tax debt :whistling:

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/rolls/supreme/lists/r120110_091.htm

30 Kim Lauren Martin or Whyte, Strathallan House, Grant Road, Grantown on Spey AG Craig Thomas Whyte, Castle Grant, Grantown on Spey

I see that Craig Whyte is back on the court list for the Court of Session today, but it is Whyte v Whyte this time. Looks like a divorce case. I wonder if Kim is looking for half his assets, i.e. half of RFC's and any tax debt :whistling:

30 Kim Lauren Martin or Whyte, Strathallan House, Grant Road, Grantown on Spey AG Craig Thomas Whyte, Castle Grant, Grantown on Spey

Should make interesting reading tomorrow, if any of our lazy journalists can be bothered to report on it.......

Rangers wont collapse or disappear.

But the may potentially be financially scuppered for a long time to come.

Cracking stuff.

Just a shame we are not in a financial state outrselves to cherry pick over the carcass during the imminent FIRE SALE!

Maybe Vlad could buy ibrox from them for say ?50 million - and charge them 5 or 6 million annual rent. That would put their gas at a peep!

Stewart Regan, the SFA's chief executive, had publicly demanded clarification from Rangers in November concerning Whyte's previous ban on becoming a company director.

The governing body confirmed on Tuesday that the club has responded to that request but that Regan would not be commenting on the substance of that reply.

:unsure:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/9006255/Rangers-face-up-to-Ibrox-credit-crunch-as-effects-of-HMRC-tax-case-begin-to-bite.html

Surely the monkeys must be speculating on this.

:woot:

Stewart Regan, the SFA's chief executive, had publicly demanded clarification from Rangers in November concerning Whyte's previous ban on becoming a company director.

The governing body confirmed on Tuesday that the club has responded to that request but that Regan would not be commenting on the substance of that reply.

So presumably the SFA are still in the middle of sweeping this under the carpet..... :unsure:

http://www.telegraph...in-to-bite.html

Because Whyte has had to come clean on his ban - but the SFA now have egg on their faces because Whyte doesn't/didn't pass the 'fit & proper test' ?

Geoff Kilpatrick

http://www.telegraph...in-to-bite.html

Good stuff!

Who would have thought the SFA would have taken such meaningful action? :rolleyes:

Francis Albert

Dear Stuart

Thank you for your recent enquiry. We have since spoken and discussed the vital role Rangers FC plays in Scottish football and the lucrative opportunuities which are available to Rangers FC outside that jurisdiction.

This gives me another opportunity to thank you and your colleagues for my parting gift.

Yiurs sincerely

Gordon.

If the SFA are still investigating or plan to take it further it wouldn't be appropriate to comment. Regan's comment makes me think an investigation or discliplinary panel will happen.

The big difference between Rangers and Heart is that an administration would be beneficial in shedding the debts and likely to suceed. I've no doubt the second they lose this case they will use insolvency paths to come out smelling of rosies.

As for players continuing to sign. Why not? At that level they will be fairly confident of picking up another club quickly without much hassle if the worst comes to the worst.

Hagar the Horrible

If the SFA are still investigating or plan to take it further it wouldn't be appropriate to comment. Regan's comment makes me think an investigation or discliplinary panel will happen.

The big difference between Rangers and Heart is that an administration would be beneficial in shedding the debts and likely to suceed. I've no doubt the second they lose this case they will use insolvency paths to come out smelling of rosies.

As for players continuing to sign. Why not? At that level they will be fairly confident of picking up another club quickly without much hassle if the worst comes to the worst.

Chance of still being chained to the club while playing 3rd Division football (As Per livi) No European football?????? could happen...And if your registration gets returned to the league you will be with 60 other guys trying to find another club which could also leave you cup tied.

"Castle Grant" ... deary me.

"Castle LookatmeIhavelotsofmoneyandnotaste"

Footballfirst

Next week could be a bad week for RFC ...... not only with the FTT resuming .......

LORD HODGE ? D Morrison Clerk

Tuesday 17th January

Procedural Hearing Between 9.30am and 10.00am

CA87/11 Martin Bain v The Rangers Football Club plc Balfour + Manson LLP Anderson Strathern LLP

Rangers are also starting to run out of time for getting their accounts audited and signed off. They must have them completed, and submitted to the SFA, no later than the end of March, or they will not be able to qualify for Europe.

Their hearing with HMRC starts again next week, but reports are suggesting that the final outcome may not be known till April/May, as whichever side loses is expected to automatically appeal.

Their stalling tactics earlier, may come back to bite them in the ass big time.

Fermit the Krog

Next week could be a bad week for RFC ...... not only with the FTT resuming .......

LORD HODGE ? D Morrison Clerk

Tuesday 17th January

Procedural Hearing Between 9.30am and 10.00am

CA87/11 Martin Bain v The Rangers Football Club plc Balfour + Manson LLP Anderson Strathern LLP

Are Anderson Strathern representing Rangers in this case FF?

I'm unsure as to how your post reads.

Francis Albert

Rangers are also starting to run out of time for getting their accounts audited and signed off. They must have them completed, and submitted to the SFA, no later than the end of March, or they will not be able to qualify for Europe.

Their hearing with HMRC starts again next week, but reports are suggesting that the final outcome may not be known till April/May, as whichever side loses is expected to automatically appeal.

Their stalling tactics earlier, may come back to bite them in the ass big time.

I think the decision on the current hearing is not expected until April or May, and any appeal would follow that. However Whyte was previously quoted as saying he may not appeal, but instead put Rangers into administration to avoid the ongoing uncertainty and start with a clean slate. HMRC will however no doubt appeal if they lose.

Meanwhile Private Eye this week notes that the failure to submit audited accounts leaves Whyte and his fellow directors open to criminal prosecution, which the Scottish media seems not to have reported. (Of course criminal prosecution is unlikely, but then so were the various sanctions (points deductions and expulsion from the league) that the media slavered over on our delayed wage payments).

Are Anderson Strathern representing Rangers in this case FF?

I'm unsure as to how your post reads.

yes, they are

I think the decision on the current hearing is not expected until April or May, and any appeal would follow that.

I had thought the April/May included any appeal, I hadn't realised that was just for next week's hearing result. That makes it even worse for Rangers, as audited signed accounts must be with the SFA no later than 31st March, or they cannot qualify for Europe. That date may be what could force Whyte's hand....

I had thought the April/May included any appeal, I hadn't realised that was just for next week's hearing result. That makes it even worse for Rangers, as audited signed accounts must be with the SFA no later than 31st March, or they cannot qualify for Europe. That date may be what could force Whyte's hand....

As far as I know, when the First Tier Tribunal reaches a decision, HMRC can legally demand payment of what is owed (not sure about the penalties) and any adjustment for successful appeals is made later

What point would there be in an appeal?

I reckon Whyte might just cop the ruling and pull the pin immediately. They could be back in business for next season with minimal impact.

I think Whyte has just been waiting for the right moment, where he thinks the fans wont blame him enough to literally kill him. The orcs have probably accepted their fate now, so it's about the right time to call time.

What point would there be in an appeal?

I reckon Whyte might just cop the ruling and pull the pin immediately. They could be back in business for next season with minimal impact.

I think Whyte has just been waiting for the right moment, where he thinks the fans wont blame him enough to literally kill him. The orcs have probably accepted their fate now, so it's about the right time to call time.

If he's confident that he can get away with administration, rather than liquidation, then I think you're right about him accepting the Tribunal's ruling.

That's the first time I've seen mention that the "small" tax bill is aparently still outstanding.

it wont mater once in Admin that goes away as well Rangers NewCo and bobs your uncle no europe for 3 seasons though and 10 points deduction.

Archived