Euro 2008

Gunny11

Just over 2 months til this kicks off and i for one cannot wait!

Who is everyone going for?

Reckon Germany will win it (they are the favourites) but im gonna be rooting for the dark horses of Switzerland and Russia.

Surely Engerland should be Favourites!! :rolleyes:

Going for the Germans...outside bet.....Switzerland, Only because I had a ferkin Great time in Basle!! ;)

I also think Germany have a great chance, they're practically at home as well...

Croatia would be a decent E/W bet as well

HMFCjamieHMFC

Spain or Portugal for me. I think this may be Spain's year but i have been thinking that for the last couple of tournaments.

Buffalo Bill

Croatia for me.

Italy will be the team to beat though.

Buffalo Bill

I hope Spain win it.

I would like to see them win it as well,BUT, they bottle it more than the Hobo's in the BIG Cup!! :107years:

As long as Luca Toni is playing for Italy then I will be backing them.

But my outside bet is Croatia.

Looking forward to it and I am sure Ladbrokes will help themselves to a fair bit of my money.

christhejambo

Spain definately have the players- Torres is in great form at the moment, and Fabregas can be a match winner on his day too. The always seem to bottle it on the big stage though.

If the French can get their act together, and have the likes of Ribery, Benzema and Henry firing on all cylinders, then they will be tough to stop.

I fancy them to be honest, but the romantic in me would maybe like to see the Croatians break into the elite group of teams.

I meant to put this in the shed, ach well.

I saw Croatia were at 12/1 so they arent really the dark horse, they are taking over from czeh rep as the team most likely to break into the elite group of teams. And yes i know czech rep are there to but their not as strong as they were a few years ago.

Oh and i dont think it will EVER be Spains year.

Harry Palmer

Italia;Italia etc etc

Who cares? We are not there. 2010 Venues?

Group A

Portugal

Turkey

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Group C (Group of Death!)

Holland

Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

Out of those, I think the winner will be from Italy or Holland. Czechs outside...

Group C is indeed a mental group.

I like the look of Italy and Spain but having backied Spain in the past, i won't be doing it again.

Outsiders Croatia and Portugal.

I also think Romania have a decent team but being in Group C, they'll do well to get through to the next round.

John Findlay

As much as I love football I am not looking forward to it.

As we will be lucky to get four decent exciting games out of all those played.

The football will be predictable and sterile from 95% of the particpating teams and for this reason I am going to go for a French win.

John

I've had a fiver on Spain to win every major tournament they've been in since 1996, its about time I broke even!

Spain always go into tournaments looking good and fail miserably. Although this year they have arguably the best striker and best midfielder in the world at their disposal. I might stick a fiver on them but won't be surprised if they go out at the quarters.

Italy and Germany I think have it in them to win it. A mixture of skilled players and an understanding of how to work as a team.

After the groups, is it winner A v Runner up B, winner B v Runner up A etc?

If it is, then group C and D have it extra tough to do well

I would have backed Croatia (and had planned on it before they beat England, as they were excellent value then) but their odds have been slashed and they are now without Eduardo

I would think the winner will be either Spain, Italy or Germany, but the odds are very tight

Group A

Portugal

Turkey

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Holland

Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

Out of those, I think the winner will be from Italy or Holland. Czechs outside...

I dont fancy Holland at all, havent been impressed by them at all under Van Basten. Think France and Italy will get through that group.

i always back spain, and they always end up crashing. i usually like the look of portugal too though.

like someone said though, we're not there so....

i'd take france as an outside bet, cos while i don't THINK they will win this year, they all too often end up producing something. germany i think will also do very well

I dont fancy Holland at all, havent been impressed by them at all under Van Basten. Think France and Italy will get through that group.

I think you may be right, but I like the Dutch and so they are more of a "romantic" choice for me. But on their day they are more than capable.

I think you may be right, but I like the Dutch and so they are more of a "romantic" choice for me. But on their day they are more than capable.

I 'd also like to see them do well, however they are another one of these teams who always seem to find new and exciting ways to impolde. Now that i think about it they do have some good talent coming through, with Drenthe and Sneijder both playing for Real at the moment.

HMFCjamieHMFC
Dont care who wins it as long as engerland dont win it.

its going to be a bit hard for them to win it they didn't qualify

In my work sweep I'm lumbered with a Holland/Switzerland combo.

At least we're getting a prize for most red cards after round 1 - still, don't think I'll get that one.

Since when did you become French? :P

I think it is 1967 "we beat the World Champions" mentality :P

No offence Andy68, just trying to explain...:o

The Old Tolbooth

I'm looking forward to it this year because I dont have to worry about England fluking it, I can relax and enjoy :D

As much as I love football I am not looking forward to it.

As we will be lucky to get four decent exciting games out of all those played.

The football will be predictable and sterile from 95% of the particpating teams and for this reason I am going to go for a French win.

John

Why do you think we will only get a few exciting games out of that lot?

Not having a go but its pretty difficult to predict most of the games. With the exception of Austria all the teams are really close together in ability.

The last euros was hardly predictable and sterile - euro 2004 was more enjoyable than world cup 2006 imo.

Oh and without the English we dont have to listen to the "it could be our year" in the run up and the "if only we could take a penalty" when they get pumped out.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Don't rule out Romania from that group - they topped their qualifying group comfortably ahead of Holland (who I think could crash out spectaularly with Van Basten knowing he's leaving anyway). More than capable of beating an ageing French side (if we can do it then they certainly can). Italy always tend to get the minimum done in the groups and start to really do the business in the later stages (plumped for them in Germany as soon as they papped out Ukraine 3-0).

The Germans will be strong as ever and Portugal with Ronaldo on song could have a chance. Croatia as an each way bet looks good but to be fair England are a different kettle of fish from the real big boys.

Torres/Ronaldo top scorer might be a shout as well.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'm going for Portugal. Euros tend to turn up more "outside" winners (Czech Rep, Greece, even Spain!!) rather than the World Cup when the "established" nations tend to win it (England and France being the only teams to win it once).

shaun.lawson

As things stand, my prediction would be as follows:

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Switzerland

3. Czech Republic

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Austria

4. Poland

Group C

1. Italy

2. Holland

3. France

4. Romania

Group D

1. Spain

2. Russia

3. Greece

4. Sweden

Quarter-Finals

Portugal 0-1 Croatia

Germany 2-0 Switzerland

Italy 1-0 Russia

Spain 1-1 Holland (aet; Holland win on penalties)

Semi-Finals

Croatia 1-2 Germany

Italy 1-2 Holland (aet)

Final

Germany 2-1 Holland

A few things to bear in mind:

- We know that the World Cup has only twice been won by sides from outside the host continent. But while the host nation rarely wins the European Championship, and obviously won't this time, it's pretty much always won by a neighbouring country, or one used to the climate the tournament is played in. Four years ago, for instance, I was always convinced a hot weather country would win in Portugal, tipped Italy, and completely ignored Greece: but then, so did everyone else. The fact that Germany borders the joint hosts is, along with their excellent form since the World Cup, a big reason to tip them.

- Most of the time, the winner of the first semi-final goes on to win a major tournament, as they get an extra day for recovery. It's a big advantage - and because, somewhat curiously, the draw has been set up so that teams are stuck in one half no matter what happens at the group stage, that has to favour those in Groups A and B. In other words, yet another factor favouring Germany.

- When the draw was made, I fancied Croatia much more than now: but they've lost Eduardo, which is a huge blow to a small country lacking squad depth. Conversely, while I'd all but dismissed Holland due to their dreadful displays in qualifying, they're improving, and I've a feeling they're coming up on the rails at the right time. The Dutch were brilliant in World Cup qualifying, but very disappointing come the tournament itself: this time, I suspect the reverse may happen.

- Finally, and I can't state this strongly enough, do not under any circumstances back Spain. Trust me: no matter how much potential they might have, no matter how good their form might be, they just cannot get the job done - almost certainly because Spain is effectively three countries, and when push comes to shove, international sides need an 'over my dead body!' resilience if they are to triumph. Spain have not reached even a major tournament semi-final since 1984; and get this, they've never beaten any of Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina, France, England or Holland in a knock-out match at a major tournament. Avoid them at all costs.

vancouverjambo

Like many, I've backed Spain in the past and been let down.

I am a glutton for punishment though, so yes ... my money will be on Spain again. I just think they have the right mix of youth, experience, and coaching this year, and they will be very difficult to beat.

lets not forget Germany will also have Miroslav Klose up front, who just seems to be a machine in interntaional tournaments, and Ballack is playing a lot better with Chelsea just now.

Group A

Portugal

Turkey

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Group B

Austria

Croatia

Germany

Poland

Holland

Italy

Romania

France

Group D

Greece

Sweden

Spain

Russia

I fancy Croatia each way, but in saying that they will do well to get through the group. I think Poland are a bit underated and could shock either Croatia or Germany.

Sweden did well in qualifying I think so they could also be a decent each way bet.

All in all I cant wait to see some really good football for a change. Anything is better than the SPL.

As things stand, my prediction would be as follows:

Group A

1. Portugal

2. Switzerland

3. Czech Republic

4. Turkey

Group B

1. Germany

2. Croatia

3. Austria

4. Poland

Group C

1. Italy

2. Holland

3. France

4. Romania

Group D

1. Spain

2. Russia

3. Greece

4. Sweden

Quarter-Finals

Portugal 0-1 Croatia

Germany 2-0 Switzerland

Italy 1-0 Russia

Spain 1-1 Holland (aet; Holland win on penalties)

Semi-Finals

Croatia 1-2 Germany

Italy 1-2 Holland (aet)

Final

Germany 2-1 Holland

A few things to bear in mind:

- We know that the World Cup has only twice been won by sides from outside the host continent. But while the host nation rarely wins the European Championship, and obviously won't this time, it's pretty much always won by a neighbouring country, or one used to the climate the tournament is played in. Four years ago, for instance, I was always convinced a hot weather country would win in Portugal, tipped Italy, and completely ignored Greece: but then, so did everyone else. The fact that Germany borders the joint hosts is, along with their excellent form since the World Cup, a big reason to tip them.

- Most of the time, the winner of the first semi-final goes on to win a major tournament, as they get an extra day for recovery. It's a big advantage - and because, somewhat curiously, the draw has been set up so that teams are stuck in one half no matter what happens at the group stage, that has to favour those in Groups A and B. In other words, yet another factor favouring Germany.

- When the draw was made, I fancied Croatia much more than now: but they've lost Eduardo, which is a huge blow to a small country lacking squad depth. Conversely, while I'd all but dismissed Holland due to their dreadful displays in qualifying, they're improving, and I've a feeling they're coming up on the rails at the right time. The Dutch were brilliant in World Cup qualifying, but very disappointing come the tournament itself: this time, I suspect the reverse may happen.

- Finally, and I can't state this strongly enough, do not under any circumstances back Spain. Trust me: no matter how much potential they might have, no matter how good their form might be, they just cannot get the job done - almost certainly because Spain is effectively three countries, and when push comes to shove, international sides need an 'over my dead body!' resilience if they are to triumph. Spain have not reached even a major tournament semi-final since 1984; and get this, they've never beaten any of Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina, France, England or Holland in a knock-out match at a major tournament. Avoid them at all costs.

backed the german machine @11/2 before the draw for the finals and your predictions in pretty much the way i think/hope it will pan out................

no doubting the draw has been kind to germany and its set up for them to win on their doorstep,think the last world cup came a couple of years to soon for this squad.............................

rossthejambo

quite fancied croatia but without eduardo i think they might struggle. might have a wee shot of them E/W.

had holland for the world cup and was let down. think i might go for germany. they do seem like the team to beat

Archived