David Obua

jambo ry

Ran the show in the middle, didn't waste a pass & even showed that he's got a few tricks in his locker!

:pleasing:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jambopompey

Ran the show in the middle, didn't waste a pass & even showed that he's got a few tricks in his locker!

:pleasing:

yip deffo his level the Scottish 2nd division

Reckon Obua could do a job in centre mid I know it's only East Fife but I reckon it suits him more than playing out wide or up front.Also Scott Robinson looks the business and could be the box to box midfielder we've missed since Hartley left.

Marooned In Oz

Really good stuff from the big man tonight. New season, clean slate. Considering it isn't his natural position he did 10x better than mrowiec who is an out an out holding midfielder. He didn't misplace one pass all night and I am not exaggerating. All joking aside maybe we've found his position? Seem to do a lot better facing the play when he has a bit of time on the ball.

Really good stuff from the big man tonight. New season, clean slate. Considering it isn't his natural position he did 10x better than mrowiec who is an out an out holding midfielder. He didn't misplace one pass all night and I am not exaggerating. All joking aside maybe we've found his position? Seem to do a lot better facing the play when he has a bit of time on the ball.

We may as well try him there. He's played everywhere else.

With a bit time on the ball he looked comfortable, passed it about (every pass spot on)

Very impressed!

Only a Game

Before we all go thinking that we've discovered Obua's new position. Yes he played well tonight. He made himself available, saw what was on and 9 times out ten did the right thing with the ball and, almost without fail, found a Hearts player. We played through the midfield in the second half and he was there at the heart of it, starting most of the good things we done.

BUT ( there's a few buts)

He was helped a lot by Robinson and Holt who were both buzzing and were ALWAYS available for the ball. He was helped a lot by Templeton and Novikovas who were generally available too.

He passes the ball and he thinks the job is done. Never really worked hard enough to make a forward angle for getting it back. It was a friendly though so we'll allow him that.

He still cant tackle. Players, even East Fife players, drifted by him at times with ease.

He totally switches off when he hasnt got the ball and by the time he switches back on , its too late. He just wouldnt get away with that in the SPL

I'd like to see him again in that position because I thought he helped a lot with the blend in midfield but lets not get carrried away. Playing him in the holding role full time would PROBABLY still be a recipe for disaster and mayhem.

I certainly hope that filling up the central midfield with footballers would be something that JJ will consider trying again.

Chris Benoit

Pretty much agree with everything you said OaG and certainly agree that Holt and Robinson helped Obua look good but the other side of the coin, do you thing they would have looked as good with Mrowiec in place of Obua?

:shitwine:

Playing him in the holding role full time would PROBABLY still be a recipe for disaster and mayhem.

obumad.png

Pretty much agree with everything you said OaG and certainly agree that Holt and Robinson helped Obua look good but the other side of the coin, do you thing they would have looked as good with Mrowiec in place of Obua?

I think that's a tribute to how well Holt & Robinson played. Energetic, always getting into positions, making them selfs available to receive the ball. It was refreshing seeing proper 'footballers' in the second half.

Certainly agree it made Obua's night easier but football is a team game, you rely your team mates to help you through the game & I thought they worked well together.

Only a Game

No they certainly wouldnt. Mrowiec could not possibly do what Obua did tonight IMO. Mrowiec is a wrecker and thats about it. Obua, whatever else you might throw at him, has a modicum of football talent, he's fairly quick thinking and has quick feet, he can pass a ball and can control an incoming pass, five things that Mrowiec is completely lacking in. Thats what I meant about the balance and them all helping each other. Obua was asked to do a relatively simple thing, be available and let the laddies play the proper football, and to be fair to him, he did it very well

Personally, in the SPL he'd have been tackle to death, given no space and wouldn't be any use at all. In fact he is pretty useless in general. He looked good against East Fife, a Third Division side. Had we been playing any decent SPL or even First Division side there would be none of this praise.

HMFCjamieHMFC

Personally, in the SPL he'd have been tackle to death, given no space and wouldn't be any use at all. In fact he is pretty useless in general. He looked good against East Fife, a Third Division side. Had we been playing any decent SPL or even First Division side there would be none of this praise.

East Fife, are a second division side.

Roy Croppers Handbag

East Fife, are a second division side.

Well that makes a huge difference.

fabienleclerq

Before we all go thinking that we've discovered Obua's new position. Yes he played well tonight. He made himself available, saw what was on and 9 times out ten did the right thing with the ball and, almost without fail, found a Hearts player. We played through the midfield in the second half and he was there at the heart of it, starting most of the good things we done.

BUT ( there's a few buts)

He was helped a lot by Robinson and Holt who were both buzzing and were ALWAYS available for the ball. He was helped a lot by Templeton and Novikovas who were generally available too.

He passes the ball and he thinks the job is done. Never really worked hard enough to make a forward angle for getting it back. It was a friendly though so we'll allow him that.He still cant tackle. Players, even East Fife players, drifted by him at times with ease.

He totally switches off when he hasnt got the ball and by the time he switches back on , its too late. He just wouldnt get away with that in the SPL

I'd like to see him again in that position because I thought he helped a lot with the blend in midfield but lets not get carrried away. Playing him in the holding role full time would PROBABLY still be a recipe for disaster and mayhem.

I certainly hope that filling up the central midfield with footballers would be something that JJ will consider trying again.

The bit in bold is untrue, everytime he popped the ball off he looked to get it back. He wont get as much time in te spl but even when closed down he found a player in maroon.I dont think anyone is suggesting he's a world beater but he ran the second half and its unfair to suggest others made him look good.

The bit in bold is untrue, everytime he popped the ball off he looked to get it back. He wont get as much time in te spl but even when closed down he found a player in maroon.I dont think anyone is suggesting he's a world beater but he ran the second half and its unfair to suggest others made him look good.

Wasn't there last night so not commenting on that, but this is something that TheBigO does well in general. He gives the ball and looks to get it back. He actually has a good footballing brain on him

Jambof3tornado

What's clear is that some on jkb cannot ever back down from a stance they have taken whether its Anti robbie,anti liff,anti obua etc etc!

If JJ plays him you could try to encourage him just for a change.

The bit in bold is untrue, everytime he popped the ball off he looked to get it back.

At walking pace!

What's clear is that some on jkb cannot ever back down from a stance they have taken whether its Anti robbie,anti liff,anti obua etc etc!

here here

I did back him once, in the days of old, when he was a newbie under Csaba...I just don't think he's improved since then tbh.

jamboinglasgow

Completely agree. He has from all accounts had a great game last night but it seems many are desperate to still kick him with the line "but he is still rubbish." Its like last season, I remember Obua getting booed early on in a match, someone near me suddenly shouts "Obua your shite." Then he does a really good bit of football and the guy shouts "Obua, your still shite."

a thread about obua playing well is, sure as sugar, gonna turn into a thread about how that very fact proves that obua is crap.

Teuchterjambo

I hold an opinion on Obua that is unlikely to change simply because in my opinion he is not up to the mark at our level, an opinion that has been formed over a long period of time - I find it incredulous that on the very rare occasion he has a half decent game that this sort of nonsense comes out. When he strings a number of these performamces together some may change their opinion - even me !

It is not that many cannot change an opinion, the point is they need consistent evidence.

I hold an opinion on Obua that is unlikely to change simply because in my opinion he is not up to the mark at our level, an opinion that has been formed over a long period of time - I find it incredulous that on the very rare occasion he has a half decent game that this sort of nonsense comes out. When he strings a number of these performamces together some may change their opinion - even me !

It is not that many cannot change an opinion, the point is they need consistent evidence.

There's no problem with holding that opinion - it's when that opinion turns into boos and jeers.

I spent the last two seasons on here moaning about Pala. I just despaired at him. I wouldn't dream of booing or abusing him though. Who would that help?

And I think that's the problem with Obua. it's a vicious circle. The guy simply can't do his job if he has the crowd on his back. But the crowd won't get off his back until he, what, repays them???

I'm happy for our manager to pick our players. I'll moan about it on here afterwards if someone plays shite. That's what this place and the pub are for.

Far too sensible post imo

Or there`s the fact he is sub standard for most part and got the heart of a chicken when the chips are down in the heat of a REAL game in the SPL.

Can`t believe the excitement over him? This will be his 4th season and for most part has been average at best.

While that seems a bit scathing im always open to be proven wrong. I try and see good in players but you have to take them as the whole package. He`s going to be one of those players who`s lucky to stay at Hearts another season, probably because of contractural reasons, and play bit parts now and again if needed.

But for me he isn`t the type of player to help us go forth and i`ve had this opinion since his 2nd season.

mahgrassyshoes

To be honest, from the descriptions on here in other threads and the actual performance last night, I thought it was Denis Prychenko in a David Obua suit.

Or there`s the fact he is sub standard for most part and got the heart of a chicken when the chips are down in the heat of a REAL game in the SPL.

Can`t believe the excitement over him? This will be his 4th season and for most part has been average at best.

While that seems a bit scathing im always open to be proven wrong. I try and see good in players but you have to take them as the whole package. He`s going to be one of those players who`s lucky to stay at Hearts another season, probably because of contractural reasons, and play bit parts now and again if needed.

But for me he isn`t the type of player to help us go forth and i`ve had this opinion since his 2nd season.

Not saying you do it, D4, but do you think regarding him as sub-standard makes it OK to boo him? Do you think that helps the team as a whole?

For me that's the crux of the matter.

I have said on many occasions that David is a decent footballer. Anyone who thinks he is not up to SPL standard needs have a word. He is more than capable, but the constant dogs abuse he gets at Tynie before he even takes a touch of the ball is atrocious and I've no doubt it dents his confidence and his ability to show what he can do.

He deserves a clean slate and some support.

Not saying you do it, D4, but do you think regarding him as sub-standard makes it OK to boo him? Do you think that helps the team as a whole?

I think some people can't grasp the concept that encouraging some players helps their performances on the park

No it doesn`t and i can confirm i NEVER boo a player in a maroon jersey. I maybe moan, but booing is out of order. Afterall, we are there to support our team.

I think some people can't grasp the concept that encouraging some players helps their performances on the park

I do, but some can`t grasp that some players are just not good enough and never will be.

Clerry Jambo

who boos him :ermm:

Chris Benoit

That's a fair point but I think the main difference for most was that Obua looked very assured in a central midfield position we've never seen him play in. Now I must admit when I first saw him in there I had a wee laugh but from the off he was top notch.

No it doesn`t and i can confirm i NEVER boo a player in a maroon jersey. I maybe moan, but booing is out of order. Afterall, we are there to support our team.

Cool. As I say, wasn't having a go at you.

I've never got a problem with folk coming on here having a moan about a player and if I disagree (which usually makes them wrong, btw) I'll do so. That's what the forum's all about. Pub chat.

I just hate people booing our own players. You can't help audible 'ochs' when a, or another, mistake is made but to boo and harrangue is just idiotic.

As I say, I often think a player just isn't up to it. Pala was my biggest bugbear of late and Mrowiec put in some pretty ditre shifts too second half of last season, but I just have a moan to my mates about it and hope they improve or Jeff kicks their asses either into gear or out the club!

Tasavallan

Some on here have a cast-in-stone opinion of a player and are not willing to be swayed otherwise.

IMO, the problem with Obua is that firstly Csaba, and then JJ last season, did not know where to play him for his best. He has ability but does not fit easily into the Scottish game. He was signed as a left sided player, supposedly LB/LM but the speed of the Scottish game did not suit him. So they tried sticking him up front due to his height and heading ability - a bit of a curates egg that.

Obua is a lanky lad and due to his crazy legs takes time to get into motion (more a 400m runner than a sprinter - did his uncle not win a Olympic Gold at 400m H?). So, I'd be surprised if playing him CM would work against a more experienced midfield than East Fife that might just run rings around him - but maybe, just maybe, this is the position for him.

There is a footballer in there, just waiting to get out.

rossthejambo

who boos him :ermm:

You!

Just kidding Clerry..........after all you don't go to games :whistling:

Only joking.

:thumbsup:

Clerry Jambo

You!

Just kidding Clerry..........after all you don't go to games :whistling:

Only joking.

:thumbsup:

Are you really joking :D

Never booed a Hearts player in my puff, but Obua does frustrate you :yucky:

a thread about obua playing well is, sure as sugar, gonna turn into a thread about how that very fact proves that obua is crap.

The guy could be playing like Messi for 89 minutes but if he made one stray pass or got caught in possession in the 90th, some "fans" would still want him hung, drawn and quartered.

Cool. As I say, wasn't having a go at you.

I've never got a problem with folk coming on here having a moan about a player and if I disagree (which usually makes them wrong, btw) I'll do so. That's what the forum's all about. Pub chat.

I just hate people booing our own players. You can't help audible 'ochs' when a, or another, mistake is made but to boo and harrangue is just idiotic.

As I say, I often think a player just isn't up to it. Pala was my biggest bugbear of late and Mrowiec put in some pretty ditre shifts too second half of last season, but I just have a moan to my mates about it and hope they improve or Jeff kicks their asses either into gear or out the club!

Indeed. But how long does Obua need? He`s turning into this enigma where everyone is saying "he`ll come good eventually" season after season.

You have to look beyond his nice wee touches or any other positives about his game. You take a player as a package. He`s no real desire. Some on here have got this misty eyed view of football that it`s all about plenty time and space and doing whatever you want with the ball.

Its about both working hard off the ball and playing. You NEED to put yourself into the game. You need to be there every minute , ready to react if things come your way. He falls out of games too easy, he loses concentration too easy. He`s like alot of average players that he has a good opening quarter of an hour then goes missing.

I`m not talking about pre season friendlies but important league or cup games. It`s not like he`s a new player. He`s not a young laddie breaking through either. If at first you don`t have any personal desire or guts as a player forget anything else working for you. I could have the best touch in the world but if i don`t have the stomach to get involved and stand up for the team then im not going to make it.

Some on here have a cast-in-stone opinion of a player and are not willing to be swayed otherwise.

IMO, the problem with Obua is that firstly Csaba, and then JJ last season, did not know where to play him for his best. He has ability but does not fit easily into the Scottish game. He was signed as a left sided player, supposedly LB/LM but the speed of the Scottish game did not suit him. So they tried sticking him up front due to his height and heading ability - a bit of a curates egg that.

Obua is a lanky lad and due to his crazy legs takes time to get into motion (more a 400m runner than a sprinter - did his uncle not win a Olympic Gold at 400m H?). So, I'd be surprised if playing him CM would work against a more experienced midfield than East Fife that might just run rings around him - but maybe, just maybe, this is the position for him.

There is a footballer in there, just waiting to get out.

We never saw it last season but the thought of Kyle and TheBigO up front I thought was a cracker. Not an every week solution but something that would scare the shite out of teams. Davie is a mobile guy and runs all day for you and he has the physical presence and a bit of awareness. That with KK bossing everyone would be great to see. Last 10 1-0 down, Sutton, Kyle, Obua, Webster, Zal, Stevo all piling into the box. Elliott, Temps, Driver, Suso or Rudi(!?) buzzing in around them. Scare the bejeezus out of Hibs anyway!!!

I think Obua does a decent job out wide in midfield. I think we always assume a wide mid player has to be a winger and go past people (which he actually does reasonably well anyway). He more plays the position in a ball retention kind of way. And if you have a smaller FB against him, getting balls back-post could be a great ploy.

Either way, i think there's a space in our squad for the big man. He just needs certain brainless idiots in the stand to bite their tongues for a bit.

The guy could be playing like Messi for 89 minutes but if he made one stray pass or got caught in possession in the 90th, some "fans" would still want him hung, drawn and quartered.

This.

Where as if Temps, Elliott or Kyle were to make a stray pass it would go almost unnoticed. :down:

rossthejambo

Are you really joking :D

Never booed a Hearts player in my puff, but Obua does frustrate you :yucky:

:lol: Maybe said that too many times, can never be too sure with so many sensitive souls on here.

I like him, think he's talented, he's a pretty good passer of the ball. But he wants more time on the ball than he'll ever get in the SPL I think (although that could be down to the lack of options available sometimes). I can see why people find him frustrating tbh.

This.

Where as if Temps, Elliott or Kyle were to make a stray pass it would go almost unnoticed. :down:

Including half a season Skacel

Chris Benoit

:lol: Maybe said that too many times, can never be too sure with so many sensitive souls on here.

I like him, think he's talented, he's a pretty good passer of the ball. But he wants more time on the ball than he'll ever get in the SPL I think (although that could be down to the lack of options available sometimes). I can see why people find him frustrating tbh.

This may be the case, with Robinson, Holt, Novi and Temps buzzing about him plus Grainger and the good Thomson making themselves available it was quick one and two touch passes from him.

Like to add after watching the second half last night plus seeing the ex players and loan players at East Fife what a great job the two Murrays do at the acadamy all of them looked very accomplished players with a good work ethic.

Thought last night he played well, pulled the strings in midfield and yet was still subject to sarcastic, wanky applause which is fairly typical of a certain element of our support.

Obua is not the best player to have pulled on the maroon but he's certainly not the worst which many people will have you believe.

He seems to put on good performances away from home which is no real surprise. He's had a few cracking matches down at fester road and also Ibrox.

Anyways I like the bigman, he's a hit or a miss but I like him.

And he's gansta!

Archived