Uruguay v Peru

shaun.lawson

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Cheers guys, cleared that up for me as i was very puzzled.

So Scotland or the Faroe Island's for example could be invited to play?

Cheers guys, cleared that up for me as i was very puzzled.

So Scotland or the Faroe Island's for example could be invited to play?

Yes, anyone could, in theory.

There's all sorts of nonsenses. Because of the need to create three groups of four (though two groups of five, top two in each to the semis would make far more sense IMO), Costa Rica are here too - and originally, before the tragedy of the tsunami, Japan were included instead of them. :unsure:

What should really happen is that FIFA merge both CONMEBOL and CONCACAF together. That'd sort the men from the boys, and is the only way Mexico will ever develop the toughness needed to finally punch their weight at tournaments. But of course, neither Mexico nor US will have anything to do with such an idea - because both are content with beating up a bunch of sides Uncle Sam runs as his own personal banana plantations, then thinking this makes them something. That Mexico actually prioritise the complete waste of space that is the Gold Cup beggars belief.

I'm not sure they consider it a waste of space. Any victory over the US is pretty enjoyable for the Mexicans, not least those who live here.

shaun.lawson

I'm not sure they consider it a waste of space. Any victory over the US is pretty enjoyable for the Mexicans, not least those who live here.

But that's all the Gold Cup is. My Dominican girlfriend cannot believe the fuss Mexico make over just beating the US: they'll never amount to anything unless they finally expand their horizons.

The equivalent would involve bringing back the Home Nations, England prioritising it over the European Championship, and treating victory in it like some glorious triumph! :mellow:

shaun.lawson

FT, 1-1. Meh. Tactical triumph for Markarian, the wily old fox, against his homeland. Forlan, who's still struggling, could've won it for Uruguay; but Peru had good chances too, and it's a fair result.

Peru could go through as one of the best third placed sides on that evidence - while Uruguay look shaky at the back and aren't really firing yet. Their shape isn't right either. But Uruguay never, ever start tournaments well - yet when the going gets tough, are usually there or thereabouts. They'll improve: they always do. :thumbsup:

But that's all the Gold Cup is. My Dominican girlfriend cannot believe the fuss Mexico make over just beating the US: they'll never amount to anything unless they finally expand their horizons.

The equivalent would involve bringing back the Home Nations, England prioritising it over the European Championship, and treating victory in it like some glorious triumph! :mellow:

Except England is in Europe...

As for the fuss the Mexicans make...all I can say is beating Hibs is pretty enjoyable for this Hearts fan, and hard to beat in terms of satisfaction.

FT, 1-1. Meh. Tactical triumph for Markarian, the wily old fox, against his homeland. Forlan, who's still struggling, could've won it for Uruguay; but Peru had good chances too, and it's a fair result.

Peru could go through as one of the best third placed sides on that evidence - while Uruguay look shaky at the back and aren't really firing yet. Their shape isn't right either. But Uruguay never, ever start tournaments well - yet when the going gets tough, are usually there or thereabouts. They'll improve: they always do. :thumbsup:

Urupish.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived