Uruguay v Peru

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

After the Copa America debuts of two Mickey Mouse, nomark sides from traditional South American minnows Argentina and Brazil, tonight, it's the turn of the continent's heavyweights. Poised to sweep all before them, with animals at the back, wizardry in the middle and quicksilver brilliance up front, gentlemen and gentlemen, it's Uruguay!

La Celeste are invariably slow starters at tournaments - but in all seriousness, on what we've seen so far, the 2010 World Cup semi-finalists have their best chance to win this since 1995. Unlike most of the other sides, they're a seasoned outfit and not in transition; and the form of Suarez and Cavani has been fabulous. Can they grasp the nettle, approach the event like serious contenders, and adopt a truly positive attitude?

I'm excited, even if no-one else is. Peru will hold Uruguay to a goalless draw in an awful, ill tempered, card ridden game. NAP are lambs to the slaughter IMO. :woot:

The action gets underway in just 10 minutes time. :thumbsup:

Riddley Walker

After the Copa America debuts of two Mickey Mouse, nomark sides from traditional South American minnows Argentina and Brazil, tonight, it's the turn of the continent's heavyweights. Poised to sweep all before them, with animals at the back, wizardry in the middle and quicksilver brilliance up front, gentlemen and gentlemen, it's Uruguay!

La Celeste are invariably slow starters at tournaments - but in all seriousness, on what we've seen so far, the 2010 World Cup semi-finalists have their best chance to win this since 1995. Unlike most of the other sides, they're a seasoned outfit and not in transition; and the form of Suarez and Cavani has been fabulous. Can they grasp the nettle, approach the event like serious contenders, and adopt a truly positive attitude?

I'm excited, even if no-one else is. Peru will hold Uruguay to a goalless draw in an awful, ill tempered, card ridden game. NAP are lambs to the slaughter IMO. :woot:

The action gets underway in just 10 minutes time. :thumbsup:

C'mon Uruguay! They are my 2nd favourite team after the mighty Scots.

I used to like Uruguay. Thanks for ruining that for me Shaun.

Is Cubillas still playing for Peru?

shaun.lawson

I used to like Uruguay. Thanks for ruining that for me Shaun.

Is Cubillas still playing for Peru?

:lol:

The way they've been playing over the last couple of decades, he could've walked into the side at any point. But they may have finally bottomed out now - and in Sergio Markarian, have a very canny coach who should never be underestimated.

:lol:

The way they've been playing over the last couple of decades, he could've walked into the side at any point. But they may have finally bottomed out now - and in Sergio Markarian, have a very canny coach who should never be underestimated.

most of their squad play in Peru, so I don't know much about them, though they looked pretty solid against the Czechs in the Kirin cup. Aye, I was sad enough to watch it.

Their kit is rubbish BTW, why mess with the classics.

That front three of Forlan, Cavani and Suarez is just outrageous.

:jjyay:

hmfcfandon

The Referees having foam to mark out the 10 yard line is a brilliant idea! The number of times player end up 6 or 7 yars away is ridiculous

shaun.lawson

That front three of Forlan, Cavani and Suarez is just outrageous.

:jjyay:

Well yes - assuming Forlan stops playing like a donkey, and Tabarez stops playing bloody 4-4-2, that is. Lodeiro is going to be crucial in this tournament, no doubt about it.

Well yes - assuming Forlan stops playing like a donkey, and Tabarez stops playing bloody 4-4-2, that is. Lodeiro is going to be crucial in this tournament, no doubt about it.

We both said he'd make an impact during the WC, and look what happened there? :vrface::lol:

shaun.lawson

We both said he'd make an impact during the WC, and look what happened there? :vrface::lol:

He has to this time - because as the masterful Tim Vickery pointed out in an excellent article on the Sports Illustrated website (terrific site, and right up there with The Guardian's football coverage I'd say), Uruguay had less possession than every other opponent in South Africa - and midfield creativity is the big problem at the moment.

Uruguayan bloggers I know are desperate for the team to completely change its style, and try to emulate Spain's short passing game. I'm not so sure: Uruguay have always been a counter-attacking side, and must play to their traditional defensive strengths IMO.

Got ?5 on L Suarez @ 4/1 for 1st goal

:)

I can cheer on the underdogs now.

:)

Montero will be spinning in his grave. Having just shot himself after watching that piece of defending.

shaun.lawson

Montero will be spinning in his grave. Having just shot himself after watching that piece of defending.

:Agree:

They're missing Godin and Fucile terribly - and look what happens when Uruguay have to make the play. I already think Tabarez has to change the system.

shaun.lawson

:yas:

Oh, you. :lol:

Now's maybe not the time to point out that Uruguay opened the last Copa America as one of the favourites, and promptly lost 3-0... to Peru. :o

Still ended up going out only on pens to Brazil in the semis, mind.

What can I say, I like Peru Shaun. Got just as much reason to support them as you do Urugay :verysmug:

shaun.lawson

What can I say, I like Peru Shaun. Got just as much reason to support them as you do Urugay :verysmug:

:D

True enough. :)

Ivanauskas33

I was hoping Chile would win this tournament. Then I remembered Bielsa isn't in charge anymore. I've heard there new style is much more counter attacking. It could be fun to watch, and I suppose plays to their strengths, but surely not the same as the 3-4-1-3 at the last World Cup.

shaun.lawson

I was hoping Chile would win this tournament. Then I remembered Bielsa isn't in charge anymore. I've heard there new style is much more counter attacking. It could be fun to watch, and I suppose plays to their strengths, but surely not the same as the 3-4-1-3 at the last World Cup.

I'm not sure if anything could be the same as that. :lol:

Chile are a threat, no question about it, and may prosper for some time yet post-Bielsa. But they'll never, ever have the mentality to win an event like this - and are just the sort of side who'll look fantastic in the group stages, then crash out unexpectedly. Plus, the inferiority complex they have against Brazil defies belief.

Chile and Mexico (though not this under-age Mexican side) are at least equal to Uruguay in terms of talent. But in tournament knock-out play, the Sky Blues have a know-how and nous which those two will never have.

shaun.lawson

GOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

What a fantastic time to equalise. :thumbsup:

chester copperpot

GOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

What a fantastic time to equalise. :thumbsup:

Quien anoto?

Ivanauskas33

I'm not sure if anything could be the same as that. :lol:

Chile are a threat, no question about it, and may prosper for some time yet post-Bielsa. But they'll never, ever have the mentality to win an event like this - and are just the sort of side who'll look fantastic in the group stages, then crash out unexpectedly. Plus, the inferiority complex they have against Brazil defies belief.

Chile and Mexico (though not this under-age Mexican side) are at least equal to Uruguay in terms of talent. But in tournament knock-out play, the Sky Blues have a know-how and nous which those two will never have.

It was a fairly insane formation to see in modern football, I wish more teams would adopt it :thumbsup:

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Uruguay win it either. They could have the best defence in the tournament when everyone's fit (and I include their midfielders in that), and maybe the best forward line after Argentina. Definitely in with a chance!

Are you still planning to write a book about football Uruguay Shaun? Something like that would be a must read, I'm surprised no one has done it yet.

Just on Uruguay -1

That 'No betting until August' lasted about two weeks then. :vrface:

shaun.lawson

Quien anoto?

Suarez - quien mas? :smuggy:

chester copperpot

Suarez - quien mas? :smuggy:

Forlan, Cavani etc etc :yas:

Wish I wa watching this.

shaun.lawson

It was a fairly insane formation to see in modern football, I wish more teams would adopt it :thumbsup:

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Uruguay win it either. They could have the best defence in the tournament when everyone's fit (and I include their midfielders in that), and maybe the best forward line after Argentina. Definitely in with a chance!

Are you still planning to write a book about football Uruguay Shaun? Something like that would be a must read, I'm surprised no one has done it yet.

You're right - but dude, take a close look at your last post, then you'll see what I meant! :)

The book? Certainly am. Late last year, I did a quick teacher training course, and am now teaching English at a local college. This is enabling me to save money up in order to arrive in Uruguay in February, at the start of the new academic year there, nab a job at a language school (or failing that, carry on with the online editing I do instead), spend maybe 6 months there researching the book, do tons of interviews etc, then get it published well in time for the next World Cup. Because who won the tournament when it was last in Brazil; and who have suddenly risen back to prominence in the years ahead of the next one?

You know who. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to head out there - and much to the despair I'm sure of all on here, will certainly be keeping you updated about how it's all going.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Hoping Uruguay can win this tonight. Backed them each way and got money on Suarez to be top scorer so a fairly pleasing start so far.

It's without a doubt the toughest group so a win tonight and a draw in the other game could put them in an excellent position.

Ivanauskas33

You're right - but dude, take a close look at your last post, then you'll see what I meant! :)

The book? Certainly am. Late last year, I did a quick teacher training course, and am now teaching English at a local college. This is enabling me to save money up in order to arrive in Uruguay in February, at the start of the new academic year there, nab a job at a language school (or failing that, carry on with the online editing I do instead), spend maybe 6 months there researching the book, do tons of interviews etc, then get it published well in time for the next World Cup. Because who won the tournament when it was last in Brazil; and who have suddenly risen back to prominence in the years ahead of the next one?

You know who. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to head out there - and much to the despair I'm sure of all on here, will certainly be keeping you updated about how it's all going.

Haha, true. They could always just revert back to the good old 2-3-5. I still try to explain to my Grandfather on a weekly basis why that wouldn't work nowadays :)

That sounds like an incredible trip! I look forward to hearing how it all goes........ even though no one else is :whistling:

On another note; Uruguay look well up for it this half.

shaun.lawson

Lawson, please don't ever say 'dude' again. :lol:

An editing colleague of mine - and as good a linguist as you could imagine - said 'simples' the other day. That was even worse! :teehee:

Commander Harris

Lawson, please don't ever say 'dude' again. :lol:

not nearly as bad as when he uses local dialect words like "shan" and "radge"! :teehee: ( no offense shaun )

shaun.lawson

not nearly as bad as when he uses local dialect words like "shan" and "radge"! :teehee: ( no offense shaun )

It's Peru who have no offense, Commander. :P

But aye: ah went totally radge the other day, likesay. More tea vicar? :D

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Can someone explain how Mexico qualify to play in this tournament?

Is it because they defeated the USA in the Confederations Cup?

Sheer stupidity on my part.

Cheers. :unsure:

By invitation, just like Costa Rica, who replaced Japan...

shaun.lawson

There's all sorts of nonsenses. Because of the need to create three groups of four (though two groups of five, top two in each to the semis would make far more sense IMO), Costa Rica are here too - and originally, before the tragedy of the tsunami, Japan were included instead of them. :unsure:

What should really happen is that FIFA merge both CONMEBOL and CONCACAF together. That'd sort the men from the boys, and is the only way Mexico will ever develop the toughness needed to finally punch their weight at tournaments. But of course, neither Mexico nor US will have anything to do with such an idea - because both are content with beating up a bunch of sides Uncle Sam runs as his own personal banana plantations, then thinking this makes them something. That Mexico actually prioritise the complete waste of space that is the Gold Cup beggars belief.

jamboinglasgow

due to only 10 teams in South America, they invite 2 teams (almost always North or Central American teams) to play in the competition so that they can have a better number to form groups (3 groups of 4.) Mexico are almost always selected due to their size and closeness (add in also massive television revenue from football mad mexicans.) The other one this year is Costa Rica, but there have been the USA, Canada, Houndouras. And the one who were supposed to play in this years but had to withdraw due to the Tsunami is Japan.

Archived