News Of The World....(merged topics)

RoyCropper

What I find difficult to undestand is why the initial police investigation, when Clive Goodman went to jail along with "the hacker", didn't uncover all this additional information at the outset.

Maybe, Goodman & Mulclaire were the agreeable sacrificial lambs on the back of a limited investigation and all parties satisfied.

As with the current "investigations".......

The police investigate the Police

The NOTW investigate the NOTW

And the government, our government tell us that they are to await the "investigations".

Aye that will work.

The genie's out the bottle and the "Closure of the NOTW" is a poor attempt to try to get the monster back in.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chester™

(well, until 'The Sunday Sun' relaunch in six-months).

And ive noticed on twitter, that www.thesunonsunday.co.uk was registered on the 5th July....

The Gasman

Can't believe they are giving up on the NOTW that easily there must be so much that hasnt been uncovered yet for them to try and bury it all by doing this!

I think you've nailed it here PH. :thumb:

It's a ploy that worked for Jack Warner and FIFA. News International will sacrifice the NoTW, then when dust settles, bring out a "Sunday Sun", and carry on regardless.

The Gasman

And ive noticed on twitter, that www.thesunonsunday.co.uk was registered on the 5th July....

If that's correct, and I've no reason to doubt you, it just goes to show how cynical and mercenary News International are.

:laugh: comical.

Say What Again

While celebrating the demise of the NOTW, spare a thought for the 200 innocent workers who'll no doubt lose their jobs now.

:(

Spellczech

Lord Prescott: Closure of News of the World is a 'management stunt'; 'no doubt it will become the Sunday Sun'

:whistling:

He's right - harder to sue News International than the News of the World I'd bet...

Chester™

If that's correct, and I've no reason to doubt you, it just goes to show how cynical and mercenary News International are.

It was on twitter. It may or may not be correct. But I wouldnt put anything past them, especially in their pursuit of full control of Sky.

Midloth_Iain

Lord Prescott: Closure of News of the World is a 'management stunt'; 'no doubt it will become the Sunday Sun'

:whistling:

The World Of News will rise from the ashes :whistling:

While celebrating the demise of the NOTW, spare a thought for the 200 innocent workers who'll no doubt lose their jobs now.

Tough Shit. They work for a rag with no morals.

Good call. Let's put thousands of people out of work for the wrong doing of others <_<

Exactly, one of my pals works on the picture desk in Glasgow. Fair enough she might find a job within the company but I would be surprised if they used the closure as a means of cutting costs.

Chris Benoit

:interesting:

Won't be called the Sunday Sun though that's the Sunday paper in the North East, my geordie step dad used to get it

ArmiyaRomanova

So what's going to happen to the (potentially) hundreds/thousands of folk who could have a legitimate complaint against NOTW for invasion of privacy etc...?

Presumably closing the NOTW company down means that Murdoch stands to save many millions in compensation claims.

Chris Benoit

Tough Shit. They work for a rag with no morals.

Usually I would say your being harsh but **** them they were happy to take a buck from a shite hole rag who caused hurt and pain to way more than 200 people

Usually I would say your being harsh but **** them they were happy to take a buck from a shite hole rag who caused hurt and pain to way more than 200 people

Bingo. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

broughies tach

Well the feckin bankers managed it, didn't they.ninja.gif

Well said. :bravo:

So that makes it OK then ya pair of eejits ?

i don't think anyone will ever be able to properly describe just how low the business group and it's senior figures are. even now, in the full force of the storm, there appears to be ever more deviousness being employed in order to twist and turn away from disgusting situation they created.

in an ideal world, the government should instigate the most swingeing and far reaching investigation and prosecution against everyone involved, and eventually change the laws to ensure that this kind of abuse an never happen again.

sadly the current government is closely aligned to many of those responsible and their action will be greatly curbed as a result, meaning that natural justice will not be seen.

it's a pretty depressing prospect when even the government's opposition have to be quite careful about how far they go with their criticism, for fear of what reprisals they can expect to face when an evil corporation eventually escapes virtually scot free.

freedom of the press a cornerstone of a healthy democracy? my feckin hairy arse it is.

Stuart Lyon

Murdoch is doing this to save his deal to buy BSkyB outright. No doubt his pals in the Tory government will say he has done enough by closing the NoTW to allow the takeover of BSkyB to go ahead.

The Gasman

Exactly, one of my pals works on the picture desk in Glasgow. Fair enough she might find a job within the company but I would be surprised if they used the closure as a means of cutting costs.

I've no doubt that Murdoch will use this to cut costs (jobs) and that those at the top who sanctioned these behaviours will survive, while those on the shop floor will pay with their jobs.

Similar to what happened within the banking sector, those at the bottom end up paying for those at the top.

:verymad:

Carl Spackler

It's interesting listening to the journalists on Sky News just coming out with the "it wasn't me Guv" stuff. The guy outside the NOTW office (NOTW journalist or editor) has just told us how all of this is coming out.

He explains it's because the Police are reading the entries in the convicted private investigators book that contains all these potential victims names and addresses.

I paraphrase what he said.

Now the name of the soldier killed in Iraq might be in the book but we don't know if his phone was hacked only that it may have been hacked he says. All that's being reported is his phone may have been hacked. Of course people are wrongly (corrects himself) maybe rightly or wrongly are jumping to the conclusion that it has.

So he's saying that facts are being potentially distorted by undue emphasis then? I wonder if he's ever heard the phrase "hoist by my own petard"?

colinmaroon

Pity 'Have I got news for you' is having one of its rest periods.

Too true!!!

Can't help thinking there's a lot more to come out of this yet, and that they're attempting to firefight by closing down the NotW.

Or is that just wishful thinking?!

PsychocAndy

Colin Hart, boxing writer, said that Rebecca Wade told The News of the World workers a while ago that they were re-branding to The Sun on Sunday, or some other name with Sunday and The Sun in it, when he was on talksport earlier the Drive show.

Carl Spackler

Can't help thinking there's a lot more to come out of this yet, and that they're attempting to firefight by closing down the NotW.

Unprecedented stuff. Doubt it will end here.

The other tabloids (non News International also) have been very quiet and you have to wonder how likely it is the Sun in particular wouldn't have been up to exactly the same thing? They keep saying the NOTW is different today, all this happened 5 years ago. The current NOTW editor is being backed by News International but what was she editor of 5 years ago? The Sun.

Yup, exactly. If you sup with the devil etc etc....

Tom Watson (Labour MP who raised the 'paying gansters to close down a murder enquiry' line in parliament yesterday) has said on C4 news that there is evidence yet to be published which will show even more invasive means (other than hacking) were used by NOTW which include hacking into peoples PCs to get at private data (I read today that NOTW tried to plant trojans on certain individuals for this purpose). Also i think he said tracking technology was also used.

Mulcair has just said on TV that the NOTW paid ?200 a time to spin a number plate - ie to find out who was visiting any given celeb. NOTW paid money to their own journos who were listed as anonymnous informants so that the journos could then pass the paymnents annonymously to the Met.

C4 News has just announced that Coulson could be arrested any time soon - looks like Strathclyde polis will be doing him for perjury.

peter_hmfc

Can I ask a stupid/naive/ignorant question?

I've read a lot of the thread and a few news reports but one thing that never seemed to get answered is WHY the NOTW would WANT to delete texts from their voicemail. I don't quite get what they would gain from deleting texts from (I think) Milly Dowlers phone? Is it to have a big "texts-deleted-she's-still-alive" story?

Sorry, but nowhere seems to be exactly clear about it.

The Gasman

Yup, exactly. If you sup with the devil etc etc....

Not every employee of a company will know everything thats happening in other parts of the company.

Even then, In this day and age, not everyone has the luxury of being able to walk away from a job, on a point of principle.

Sheriff Fatman

I've read a lot of the thread and a few news reports but one thing that never seemed to get answered is WHY the NOTW would WANT to delete texts from their voicemail. I don't quite get what they would gain from deleting texts from (I think) Milly Dowlers phone? Is it to have a big "texts-deleted-she's-still-alive" story?

They had read the messages that were already there and they wanted to read more.

I P Knightley

Pity 'Have I got news for you' is having one of its rest periods.

Mock the Week being recorded as we speak.

Save up your bawbees, though for the next edition of Private Eye (a week next Weds). It will be a stormer.

Lots of messages came in and filled up her inbox. So to create capacity for new messages, the journomonkeys deleted some from the inbox.

Alba gu Brath

First reaction was 'yeah!'. Have to agree with Prescott (a first?) that its just a stunt though. The Sun will continue Dirty Digger's work and probably on a Sunday too sooner or later.

Will be good to see Coulson in court though. Rebecca Brooks next if there's any justice.

Hope Sheridan gets out too.

peter_hmfc

They had read the messages that were already there and they wanted to read more.

Lots of messages came in and filled up her inbox. So to create capacity for new messages, the journomonkeys deleted some from the inbox.

What would there be to read apart from typica "come home milly" and "where r u?" texts?

Even if someone did send her a text which was interesting, how could they run it as a story without having a source, seen as how they can't just say they hacked their phone.

Also, hacking into the phones of dead soldiers who were in Iraq? :blink:

The Comedian

First reaction was 'yeah!'. Have to agree with Prescott (a first?) that its just a stunt though. The Sun will continue Dirty Digger's work and probably on a Sunday too sooner or later.

Will be good to see Coulson in court though. Rebecca Brooks next if there's any justice.Hope Sheridan gets out too.

Pergnant apparently so she'll be shuffled quietly out the way in the near future.

I P Knightley

What would there be to read apart from typica "come home milly" and "where r u?" texts?

I can't pretend to understand the reason for wanting to read any messages but that was the reason given for deleting some.

Pergnant apparently so she'll be shuffled quietly out the way in the near future.

This was hinted at in the last Private Eye, that she and her husband have been attempting to procreate so that she may "retire" into motherhood with a bumper pay-off rather than get what she deserves.

shaun.lawson

When I moved to Oxford, I was at the same college as Chelsea Clinton. A few months into her course, a journalist friend of a friend emailed me, wanting to know if I had any gossip about her.

I refer the 200 workers you mention to the reply I gave to her:

Go and get a proper job.

(To her credit, she replied agreeing that yes, she should).

Correct mate

When I moved to Oxford, I was at the same college as Chelsea Clinton. A few months into her course, a journalist friend of a friend emailed me, wanting to know if I had any gossip about her.

I refer the 200 workers you mention to the reply I gave to her:

Go and get a proper job.

(To her credit, she replied agreeing that yes, she should).

Oxford, Chelsea Clinton, Journo friends, disregard for the ordinary worker.= Tory.

shaun.lawson

Oxford, Chelsea Clinton, Journo friends, disregard for the ordinary worker.= Tory.

:lol:

I'm a Lib Dem actually. Oh, I see what you mean now... <_<

Geoff Kilpatrick

Apparently, the Screws paywall has been taken down! :laugh:

The real question now is how far up the chain this stench goes. I don't think The Digger will be implicated but if his son knew....

Patrick Bateman

The real question now is how far up the chain this stench goes. I don't think The Digger will be implicated but if his son knew....

Having watched the interview with James Murdoch, one thing struck me the most; he is an accomplished liar. He has clearly been trained on how to lie convincingly, but one being questioned as to whether he knew that his editors knew about the allegations, he had nowhere to turn. If anyone happens to see the interview (from some skyscraper) you can see the little ticks and flashes of anger in his eyes. I suspect he's just as evil as his father. I really, really hope the dirt trail leads to him. I'd regard News Corporation akin to a terrorist cell, albeit without murderous intentions (well, who knows?) - The thing which I find alarming is that so many politicians knew about this but were too weak to raise the issue. Against a newspaper. Who knows who else they'd be scared to speak against? And this is without considering the Omen-esque creep Cameron (and his predecessors) and his relationship with News International.

Archived