News Of The World....(merged topics)

RoyCropper

rossthejambo

It's the same with the shitty women's celeb mags.

Just read on Twitface that Ford have pulled out of a ?4m advertising deal with the Screws. :pleasing:

npower have done similar, I believe there's a lot of people trying to get WH Smith to stop selling it as well.

This is going to get a whole lot messier before it ends.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And another interesting bloggy thing from the Independent about the extent of Cameron's friendship with Rebekah Brooks and the 'Chipping Norton' set. Have to admit I'm kind of a bit surprised and nearly impressed that he had the balls to be all friendly with someone like her...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100095686/david-cameron-is-in-the-sewer-because-of-his-news-international-friends/

And now the British Legion have told them to GTF! :thumbsup:

:davebp:

That one will hurt. All of these tabloid papers love to cosy up to "wur boys overseez!"

The People's Chimp

It says a lot about our post diana mawkishness that it's taken the phones of the dead being hacked before anyone got worked up about this. It's sickening that they would listen to the voicemails of dead soldiers, or terror atrocities, but it's incredible to think of the security breaches involved in the hacking of politicians' phones.

And another interesting bloggy thing from the Independent about the extent of Cameron's friendship with Rebekah Brooks and the 'Chipping Norton' set. Have to admit I'm kind of a bit surprised and nearly impressed that he had the balls to be all friendly with someone like her...

http://blogs.telegra...tional-friends/

The article's actually from the Telegraph, which makes it all the more surprising, especially given it's praise of the Guardian in the article!

Geoff Kilpatrick

It says a lot about our post diana mawkishness that it's taken the phones of the dead being hacked before anyone got worked up about this. It's sickening that they would listen to the voicemails of dead soldiers, or terror atrocities, but it's incredible to think of the security breaches involved in the hacking of politicians' phones.

To be honest, while it is obvious they have crossed so many lines, I think it was more of a case of political apathy than anything else. In other words, the expectations are so low of politicians that no one paid any attention.

People MUST go to prison for this.

Not only do we see the tawdry methods of these "newspapers" exposed for what they are, but they are also bribing police officers to get information.

How feckin corrupt is that?

Personally, I'd shut them down. If they can't behave responsibly then they don't deserve to operate.

Freedom of the press? What about the freedom of the individual?

Of course they will trot out the excuse that it's in the public interest. Another lie. They do these things for their own self interest i.e. PROFIT!

Yeah Western liberal democracy!

Snake Plissken

:lol:

It's so crass it's amusing, we're entering levels of cartoonish super-villainy here.

Getting really juicy now. Had a feeling that Diana would get mentioned eventually. Surely, as Redm has suggested it's only a matter of time before a Madeleine story breaks.

And, I know I probably shouldn't, but I'm enjoying all these chickens coming home to roost immensely!

Glamorgan Jambo

Just been announced in Parliament that the ruling on the BSkyB takeover won't be until early September not because of phone tapping but because of the volume of comments received on the Sky News proposal.

Expect the moral outrage and revelations from the BBC/Guardian/Telegraph to ease off again until early September.

Just been announced in Parliament that the ruling on the BSkyB takeover won't be until early September not because of phone tapping but because of the volume of comments received on the Sky News proposal.

Expect the moral outrage and revelations from the BBC/Guardian/Telegraph to ease off again until early September.

Why?

I may have misread you but I take from your post that the other news providers mentioned are simply sticking the boot in now to prevent the BSkyB takeover?

Nothing to do with corruption and collusion bewteen journalists employed by Rupert Murdoch and the Metropolitan Police?

Or even the grotesque unethical behaviour of the NotW in the way it (criminally?) sources its material?

Or the fact that some of the protaganists had penetrated the Prime Minister's inner ring?

More to this that the BSkyB takeover, imo.

rossthejambo

Or the fact that some of the protaganists had penetrated the Prime Minister's inner ring?

In more ways than one, AMIRITE?

:verysmug:

Glamorgan Jambo

Why?

I may have misread you but I take from your post that the other news providers mentioned are simply sticking the boot in now to prevent the BSkyB takeover?

Nothing to do with corruption and collusion bewteen journalists employed by Rupert Murdoch and the Metropolitan Police?

Or even the grotesque unethical behaviour of the NotW in the way it (criminally?) sources its material?

More to this that the BSkyB takeover, imo.

Why then did they sit on the story for a few weeks until the week they expected the announcement to come?

PS Of course this is a very serious situation but don't get taken in by the BBC hype when they try to link this scandal to the proposed takeover (solely a competition/pluarality issue). Fit and proper ownership criteria is something else but as this pans out you'll see more and more media organisations implicated and questions about fit and proper ownership will go a lot firther than Newscorp.

Why then did they sit on the story for a few weeks until the week they expected the announcement to come?

PS Of course this is a very serious situation but don't get taken in by the BBC hype when they try to link this scandal to the proposed takeover (solely a competition/pluarality issue). Fit and proper ownership criteria is something else but as this pans out you'll see more and more media organisations implicated and questions about fit and proper ownership will go a lot firther than Newscorp.

To be fair the story has been rumbling along for a while now, but I can see that this week is "maximum impact".

Which, imo, is fair enough.

I do agree with you that News Int/Newscorp will not be the only ones implicated in this. Any backlash against the gutterpress is welcome imo.

Hopefully it also leads to a new way of politics where oligarchs aren't manipulating the politicians as obviously and without as much impunity!

It also casts a sorry light on the state of affairs in British society whereby the salacious tit-bits reported on by these jackals are lapped up by the politically moribund Great British public!

jambos are go!

If it turns out Coulson committed perjury on behalf of the NOTW whilst Camerons press officer then all hell will let loose. And someone will beg the Question. Who actually apointed him Cameron or Murdoch?

And BTW Tommy Sheridan could be quids in and the utter folly of the perjury trial in the first place will be exposed. Guilty or not it was folly IMO.

Glamorgan Jambo

To be fair the story has been rumbling along for a while now, but I can see that this week is "maximum impact".

Don't you think the BBC should have let the Dowler family, the 7/7 relatives and all the others know about this as soon as they knew about it?

I do.

In terms of breaking the law to get stories etc I assume you're as annoyed and upset at Julian Assange as you are at Rupert Murdoch?

Or are politics clouding your thinking.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Don't you think the BBC should have let the Dowler family, the 7/7 relatives and all the others know about this as soon as they knew about it?

I do.

In terms of breaking the law to get stories etc I assume you're as annoyed and upset at Julian Assange as you are at Rupert Murdoch?

But there's more to the revulsion than the technicalities of the law. Military whistle-blowing is nowhere near the ethical gutter the NOTW are in.

Governor Tarkin

I do agree with you that News Int/Newscorp will not be the only ones implicated in this. Any backlash against the gutterpress is welcome imo.

Hopefully it also leads to a new way of politics where oligarchs aren't manipulating the politicians as obviously and without as much impunity!

It also casts a sorry light on the state of affairs in British society whereby the salacious tit-bits reported on by these jackals are lapped up by the politically moribund Great British public!

Bingo.

there could be up to 4000 victims of hacking

Meanwhile, the Met police promised to contact all 4,000 people whose names appear in 11,000 pages of notes made by an investigator working for the paper.

I do.

When did the BBC know? Genuine question. I don't know. Why would the BBC sit on it?

But there's more to the revulsion than the technicalities of the law. Military whistle-blowing is nowhere near the ethical gutter the NOTW are in.

I think Eldar speaks for me on that. Sometimes the law needs to be broken so the truth can be told. And the two are completely different scenarios.

One has a "deep throat" type character, the other is the invasion of individual privacy.

Patrick Bateman

It wouldn't surprise me if a News International paper intentionally committed a crime so they could report it themselves. It's hardly a wild leap from a company which will intimidate/bribe their way past certain establishments. If anyone ever needed a clear example of British Politicians acting not only for their own interests, but for those of a crooked multinational, then this is it. Westminster, the MET and News International; all intertwined and culpable. How anyone could contemplate buying a paper printed by people who would gleefully spy on you should anything newsworthy occur, is beyond me.

The comedian Dave Gorman has quit his column with them as well.

I'm surprised he took the Murdoch shilling in the first place!

BTW, have the pitchfork and torch mob threatened to storm Tynecastle if the club don't sever their links with News International?

Just asking... :whistling:

rossthejambo

The comedian Dave Gorman has quit his column with them as well.

Think Lineker's going to be quitting his column as well.

I P Knightley

there could be up to 4000 victims of hacking

That's just one of their investigators...

Sunday is the last edition seemingly

looks like a bit of firefighting and trying to look like they are doing something about the phone hacking

edit My link

Boaby Ewing

Sunday is the last edition seemingly

Just announced.

Sunday the last ever edition (well, until 'The Sunday Sun' relaunch in six-months).

Revenue from this Sunday's paper to go to good causes.

No adverts will run in the final edition.

News Corp saying it made statements to parliament without being in the full possession of the facts.

Patrick Bateman

Hopefully the first domino to topple. It's pretty obvious that the News of the World were not the only paper at it. Daily Express, The Times or The Sun, anyone? :whistling:

:stare:

Can't believe they are giving up on the NOTW that easily :rofl: there must be so much that hasnt been uncovered yet for them to try and bury it all by doing this!

broughies tach

Hopefully the first domino to topple. It's pretty obvious that the News of the World were not the only paper at it. Daily Express, The Times or The Sun, anyone? :whistling:

Good call. Let's put thousands of people out of work for the wrong doing of others <_<

I P Knightley

Just announced.

Sunday the last ever edition (well, until 'The Sunday Sun' relaunch in six-months).

News Corp saying it made statements to parliament without being in the full possession of the facts.

I'll sell at six. Tenner a month?

Seriously, though, I also have cynical thoughts on this; perhaps the NotW as a title was not producing enough revenue? Coming away with one title which publishes on seven days allows significant cost saving, which, coupled with a large helping of sanctimonious piety, is just what Dr Murdoch ordered.

Let's see if Rebekah Wade survives this now.

The Old Tolbooth

The authorities should have shut the paper down before that parasite Murdoch had the chance to stop the NotW, he knows damn fine the paper are guilty of despicable crimes in an unscrupulous manner, Murdoch should be behind bars the ****!

Sexton Hardcastle

Just announced.

Lord Prescott: Closure of News of the World is a 'management stunt'; 'no doubt it will become the Sunday Sun'

:whistling:

Lord Prescott: Closure of News of the World is a 'management stunt'; 'no doubt it will become the Sunday Sun'

:whistling:

are you saying DDLN is actually Prescott :o :o :o

are you saying DDLN is actually Prescott :o :o :o

Dave could end up with egg on his face here :omg!:

Dave could end up with egg on his face here :omg!:

be careful its not you throwing it or you might get a good blow to the head

be careful its not you throwing it or you might get a good blow to the head

Aye just spell out the joke then :(

Anyway, I am ecstatic this rag is being pulled. The sooner all of the gutter press are done away with the better. Can't Stand these papers that trade on exposing peoples private lives.

Good call. Let's put thousands of people out of work for the wrong doing of others <_<

Well the feckin bankers managed it, didn't they.ninja.gif

Archived