News Of The World....(merged topics)

RoyCropper

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never bought it on journalistic grounds along with every other rag. The people who usually buy it should know to expect shody journalism, and the fact that these unscrupulous ***** have done something like this doesn't shock me in the slightest.

Fact is, people have been funding this kind of activity because they read this dross. You'll get dipshits out there boycotting the NOTW and buying The Sun instead. :lol:

Ok now I get it. Did anyone really think they weren't up to unscrupulous stuff like that? Doesn't surprise me at all. Never buy it anyway.

Glamorgan Jambo

They may be doing so but somebody needs to. Yes, the Grauniad & the BBC have got vested interests in seeing the takeover scuppered but a journal like Private Eye which may even have pre-dated the Grauniad with its reporting of the matter really doesn't and is pursuing the story as a matter of genuine concern.

As mentioned earlier, there is a very strong possibility that this runs right through government, the police, possibly the judiciary are running scared since the NotW hounds have picked up skeletons in very many closets. Murdoch runs a ruthless empire and would not be afraid to call on any means to protect it. He's tried sacking Rebekah Brooks once to cover the trail - I can't imagine she'll get off with it much longer. Thing is, she'll still retire with a very healthy bag of hush money pension fund.

No they don't need to try to scupper this proposed takeover... which has nothing whatsoever to do with phone hacking/Milly Dowler. They need to put the facts in the public domain, hold up their hands for the phone hacking they're responsible for too, and stop treating the public like idiots --- like the Telegraph did when they reported all the Vince Cablegate sting operation -- except the most newsworthy bit which was his intention to block the NI/BSkyB merger... for reasons of political expediency.

Once the facts are fully in the public domain the public can make up their minds as to who were truly the bad guys here.

I will retrospectively not buy it for the last 23 years. Thats how angry I am at this betrayal of my trust.

I will retrospectively not buy it for the last 23 years. Thats how angry I am at this betrayal of my trust.

:thumbsup:

i've not had a seethe for a good while, thank god the NOTW erased some dead girl's top score on Snake and replaced it with rude names like NOB.

thats low.

Craig Gordons Gloves

The Fleet Street Fox has a few things to say about it and while I normally agree with much of what she writes (or some of it!) this blog entry doesn't sit well with me.

http://www.fleetstreetfox.com/2011/07/gulag-anyone.html

The public expect it? I don't know about that. The public expect salacious gossip from certain news titles but I dare say it doesn't often occur to them to think too much about where that gossip came from or how the journalists managed to get a hold of it. Even then, the message running through this blog entry is that tabloid journalists seem to think they live in some sort of weird bubble where laws just don't really apply. I can understand why some might question the efficiency of the police from time to time but the fact remains, it's their job to investigate these things, not the tabloids. They're there to report the news (allegedly) but most importantly, to find enough grubby crap in order to sell lots of papers to people who appreciate a bit of grubby crap. They're not bloody superheroes, they're pretty much just sleazemongers.

Doing the morally correct or ethical thing? Hmeh. Who are they trying to kid?

what an attempt at justifying your pay check each month.

does this mean i have to stop watching mock the week?

You mean people are currently? :huh:

And the next revelation. Has there been any major police investigation they haven't interfered with. Its a disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14035270

The parents of murdered Soham girls Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman have been visited by police investigating phone-hacking by journalists.

PsychocAndy

Stopped buying it years ago when in their pre season booklet they had us down as wearing Claret and White, the barstewards.

Not bought for a very long time. I read the web and being slightly tory minded read the mail site or BBC news page.

PsychocAndy

Not bought for a very long time. I read the web and being slightly tory minded read the mail site or BBC news page.

So your user name is you being ironic.

frankblack

Channel 4 news broke another story that puts this rag into further disgrace:

Link to Article

Rebekah Brooks is directly implicated in these allegations, and it will be interesting to see if she continues to "investigate herself" or does the right thing and resigns.

Channel 4 news broke another story that puts this rag into further disgrace:

Link to Article

Rebekah Brooks is directly implicated in these allegations, and it will be interesting to see if she continues to "investigate herself" or does the right thing and resigns.

The Independent tomorrow will make interesting reading.

Walter Bishop

new investigation into the News of the World as allegations these 2 little girls and parents mobiles were hacked aswell.

Disgusting.

Alba gu Brath

Lowlife is too mild for these cretins. The Milly Dowler thing is sick beyond belief. Anything to get a story and it doesn't matter if you're a celeb or a teenage murder victim. Have never bought the Sun/NoTW but now I really want them to fail.

Interesting twist on the Tommy Sheridan thing too. How could these emails just get 'lost' in India???

Caught a snippet of the Ch4 thing. Were they bugging the cops too?

BBC piece

Moral Compass Meltdown

The Sun and Hillsborough

So why has it taken this long for anything other than celeb stories to come out?

If the government and police had their way I doubt we'd have heard any of it.

Thankfully there's still the Guardian, the Independent and Private Eye.

The monopolies commission should break up News International based on the fact that they have failed to properly report a story that is clearly in the public interest. Don't media owners have a responsibility to report major stories rather than participate in a cover up?

Pete Seeger

Fingers crossed it's the nail in this rags coffin. The red tops are the worst offenders for sweeping below the carpet. Vermin.

So why has it taken this long for anything other than celeb stories to come out?

If the government and police had their way I doubt we'd have heard any of it.

Thankfully there's still the Guardian, the Independent and Private Eye.

The monopolies commission should break up News International based on the fact that they have failed to properly report a story that is clearly in the public interest. Don't media owners have a responsibility to report major stories rather than participate in a cover up?

They're all terrified of them, that's why things have never really come out before I suppose. They have influence at nearly every level simply because there isn't one person who could be completely safe from them should they decide to see what they can dig up on you. As Hugh Grant said earlier in that interview he did, even if you personally have no skeletons in your closet, it's guaranteed that someone very close to you probably will. That pressure will be enough to stop so many people from taking action against them - they're very powerful. Unfortunately.

shaun.lawson

They're all terrified of them, that's why things have never really come out before I suppose. They have influence at nearly every level simply because there isn't one person who could be completely safe from them should they decide to see what they can dig up on you. As Hugh Grant said earlier in that interview he did, even if you personally have no skeletons in your closet, it's guaranteed that someone very close to you probably will. That pressure will be enough to stop so many people from taking action against them - they're very powerful. Unfortunately.

In which case, I can't understand why no politician has reversed that equation. If I were a politician with skeletons in my closet, I'd hire my own private investigators to find all the dirt possible on journos investigating me, and threaten them with exposing it if necessary.

"If I go down, I'm taking you with me", that sort of thing.

Just had a look at the Mirrors website.

Not a mention of the scandal. Clearly these twats are balls deep in phone tapping themselves.

shaun.lawson

Just had a look at the Mirrors website.

Not a mention of the scandal. Clearly these twats are balls deep in phone tapping themselves.

:Agree:

Searching around for topical, newspaper-based material for a class I have tomorrow, I noticed that too, big time. It's pathetic actually.

In which case, I can't understand why no politician has reversed that equation. If I were a politician with skeletons in my closet, I'd hire my own private investigators to find all the dirt possible on journos investigating me, and threaten them with exposing it if necessary.

"If I go down, I'm taking you with me", that sort of thing.

Hugh Grant did something like that I suppose and have to admit, I thought it was unbelievably brave of him. But it's not just politicians, it's police, it's public figures, business people. Anyone in a position of influence and power normally has something (or several things) to lose by engaging in that sort of battle.

I suppose most of them just want to fly under the radar and hope they don't attract the attention of these papers.....

Armageddon

On top of all this you have to remember that Julian Assange has an 'Insurance File' on Rupert Murdoch.

Commander Harris

apparently hacked the voicemail of 7/7 london bombing victims :|

unbelievable.

jambovambo

On top of all this you have to remember that Julian Assange has an 'Insurance File' on Rupert Murdoch.

Excellent - didn't know that

Armageddon

Excellent - didn't know that

Aye, you can download the torrent file and he has an encryption key that he's given to a limited few, if anything ever happened to Assange these people will release the key code (which is supposed to be ******* mental) and it will bring down Murdoch and all his allies.

Patrick Bateman

David Cameron looked incredibly uncomfortable in condemning News International. And the Westminster Government wants to allow this cancer to spread? I'd hope that a mass boycott of every paper of this evil organisation ensues. Indeed, the MET AND Westminster should also be in the firing line for this. They lie, cheat and invade upon peoples lives when they have no right to do so. It's absolutely disgusting.

jambovambo

Would you be prepared to challenge your corner shop for selling the rag this weekend or any guy you see buying it?

I P Knightley

No they don't need to try to scupper this proposed takeover... which has nothing whatsoever to do with phone hacking/Milly Dowler. They need to put the facts in the public domain, hold up their hands for the phone hacking they're responsible for too, and stop treating the public like idiots --- like the Telegraph did when they reported all the Vince Cablegate sting operation -- except the most newsworthy bit which was his intention to block the NI/BSkyB merger... for reasons of political expediency.

Once the facts are fully in the public domain the public can make up their minds as to who were truly the bad guys here.

Oh, definitely. But, while we wait for more facts to emerge (not just who authorised what tapping), I'd feel more comfortable if Murdoch's already mightily strong, influential and answers-to-no-one empire didn't become yet stronger.

Boaby Ewing

Would you be prepared to challenge your corner shop for selling the rag this weekend or any guy you see buying it?

Nah.

I'm still pissing myself at The Guardian suggesting its readers boycott it.

shaun.lawson

As much as I suggested taking them on at their own game above, and as much as they themselves have tried to fuel it in the past for their own nauseating ends, I'm not sure that mob rule is the answer. It's a free country, JV.

As much as I suggested taking them on at their own game above, and as much as they themselves have tried to fuel it in the past for their own nauseating ends, I'm not sure that mob rule is the answer. It's a free country, JV.

Nothing wrong with a friendly "You're not buying that rag are you? I'd be ashamed."

:stare:

Look out for a "Win a Million Pound" promotion in the NotW shortly to suck the gumbies into continuing to show loyalty.

The Gasman

David Cameron looked incredibly uncomfortable in condemning News International.

He'll be shitting bricks! :pleasing:

This coming Friday the ConDems were expected to give the go ahead for Murdoch to get full control of the merged BSB & Sky.

If Cameron now goes ahead with this he'll get absolutely crucified by most of the non News International media.

If he goes back on his word, he'll get slaughtered by the News International media, and who knows what dirt Murdoch may have on him and / or his colleagues.

Could actually prove quite entertaining watching the puppet master fighting with the puppet, while both attempt to defend the press's "right" to self regulation.

Every cloud has a silver lining! :thumb:

Police are now looking back at every case involving missing children for evidence of phone hacking. I reckon i see a Madeleine headline on the horizon...

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/05/phone-hacking-police-review-child-murders?cat=media&type=article

They weren't kidding when they said this could just be the tip of the iceberg. Interesting to note the comment in this article about NI handing over info of payments made, but the records don't cover the period when Brooks was editor of the paper. ...

Patrick Bateman

I've never understood how folk can justify their obsession with "celeb" news. How utterly worthless and dull a life must someone live for them to actually care who celebrity X is having an affair with? So long as the story has no public interest element (ie for political or significant cultural reasons) then I just can't understand why it should be published, either on legal grounds, or basic human decency. Indeed, it's another thing which Mr Romanov has been absolutely correct on; huge elements of the media are simply vermin. A decent investigation should see dozens of people in jail, alongside all the nonces they've campaigned against for years. They are about the same level, really.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I've never understood how folk can justify their obsession with "celeb" news. How utterly worthless and dull a life must someone live for them to actually care who celebrity X is having an affair with? So long as the story has no public interest element (ie for political or significant cultural reasons) then I just can't understand why it should be published, either on legal grounds, or basic human decency. Indeed, it's another thing which Mr Romanov has been absolutely correct on; huge elements of the media are simply vermin. A decent investigation should see dozens of people in jail, alongside all the nonces they've campaigned against for years. They are about the same level, really.

It's the same with the shitty women's celeb mags.

Just read on Twitface that Ford have pulled out of a ?4m advertising deal with the Screws. :pleasing:

Archived