Rangers to offer 1mill for Wallace

ChrissyBoi

Once the English transfer market starts to really get going I think we will see some interest in Wallace.

Today is the 1st July so there's 2 months still to go before the "doom & gloom" scenario of him staying till January and signing a pre-contract with Rangers.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Charlie-Brown

Is it wrong to expect footballers to do the right thing by the clubs who've nurtured them for almost a decade and helped them build a professional football career?

Rangers are only willing to pay for Lee Wallace as they think they can get him at a discount to his true value - if they can't then they'd rather wait and try to get him for nothing on a pre-contract.

IF that is the kind of situation that Lee Wallace and/or Gary Mackay would help bring about then it's a major slap in the face of the club who have done so much for them.

Frankly i don't see how any Hearts supporter can see it differently - perhaps they are friendly with the player or agent but it's not them we support it's HMFC and surely Hearts deserve the best deal?

That's how i see things anyway. Other players can come and go for nothing and many do - that doesn't worry me but those players in whom the club has invested so much time, money and patience deserve some loyalty and fair treatment in return.

Drylaw Hearts

Is it wrong to expect footballers to do the right thing by the clubs who've nurtured them for almost a decade and helped them build a professional football career?

Rangers are only willing to pay for Lee Wallace as they think they can get him at a discount to his true value - if they can't then they'd rather wait and try to get him for nothing on a pre-contract.

IF that is the kind of situation that Lee Wallace and/or Gary Mackay would help bring about then it's a major slap in the face of the club who have done so much for them.

Frankly i don't see how any Hearts supporter can see it differently - perhaps they are friendly with the player or agent but it's not them we support it's HMFC and surely Hearts deserve the best deal?

That's how i see things anyway. Other players can come and go for nothing and many do - that doesn't worry me but those players in whom the club has invested so much time, money and patience deserve some loyalty and fair treatment in return.

By leaving now and getting Hearts ?1million he is doing us a favour - he could sit back and see out his contract leaving for nothing and probably getting himself a better deal into the bargin.

Expecting loyalty from footballers is nothing short of naive.

You will get the odd exception but it's their career and they do whats best for them.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Lee Wallace is the one in an awkward spot here. He knows Vlad can and would freeze him out and the key thing for his career is to get back playing after his horrendous injury run. There is fitness and there is match fitness.

Two seasons on the sidelines will do him no favours so the wisest thing he could do is commence contract negotiations with HMFC, assuming we do that.

Charlie-Brown

By leaving now and getting Hearts ?1million he is doing us a favour - he could sit back and see out his contract leaving for nothing and probably getting himself a better deal into the bargin.

Expecting loyalty from footballers is nothing short of naive.

You will get the odd exception but it's their career and they do whats best for them.

I didn't ask if it was naive DH - I know perfectly well the selfishness that pervades modern football - what I asked was is it wrong to expect a bit more loyalty from those players whose careers we've nurtured?

We seem to have 2 kinds of players - those prepared to ensure the club gets a good return when they leave (McCann, Gordon, Berra) and those who'd rather pursue their own selfish agenda at the clubs expense (Johnston, Ritchie, Webster) - these players have usually been around the club so long they become like family members that is why I think it's annoys & hurts me more if they act in a selfish way that betrays the club.

Drylaw Hearts

I didn't ask if it was naive DH - I know perfectly well the selfishness that pervades modern football - what I asked was is it wrong to expect a bit more loyalty from those players whose careers we've nurtured?

We seem to have 2 kinds of players - those prepared to ensure the club gets a good return when they leave (McCann, Gordon, Berra) and those who'd rather pursue their own selfish agenda at the clubs expense (Johnston, Ritchie, Webster) - these players have usually been around the club so long they become like family members that is why I think it's annoys & hurts me more if they act in a selfish way that betrays the club.

Vlad ?

Is that you ?

Charlie-Brown

Vlad ?

Is that you ?

No DH it's CB and I felt & thought exactly the same when Johnston and Ritchie shat on the club as i do today.

Charlie-Brown

Craig Thomson has also betrayed everything the club has done for him albeit not as much as he's betrayed his victims, his family & friends and ultimately himself by his actions.

Craig Thomson has also betrayed everything the club has done for him albeit not as much as he's betrayed his victims, his family & friends and ultimately himself by his actions.

Yawn. Seriously the CT things been done to death on here. No need to bring it up in a thread about LW.

Drylaw Hearts

No DH it's CB and I felt & thought exactly the same when Johnston and Ritchie shat on the club as i do today.

So did I...but then I realised that we've gained many a player in the same circumstances.

In the last year we've signed Darren Barr and Jamie Hamill who've both progressed through the youth system at their former clubs.

We can't have it all our own way.

on the other hand, clubs only show any loyalty to players they think have a value to them. I've seen the way they treat people they no longer want. The fans also show no loyalty to players they don't like, so expecting players to think about the club, especially if they're no a supporter, is pretty naive.

Charlie-Brown

So did I...but then I realised that we've gained many a player in the same circumstances.

In the last year seasons we've signed Darren Barr and Jamie Hamill who've both progressed through the youth system at their former clubs.

i would feel aggrieved about Barr & Hamill if I was a Bairns or Killie fan but I'm not - however it's a matter for them that they perhaps should have done right by the clubs who gave them their big opportunity - not sure if many clubs would have paid much money for either of those players?

Specifically to Hearts and our own players - when there is the opportunity that our young players can leave for a big move away then there is the potential for everybody to benefit - player, club and in some instances also the players former club or youth club. It really gets my goat when these players think only to benefit themselves at the expense of the club and all those who've invested so much time, money & patience in helping to build their careers, especially when everybody can benefit if they do the "right" thing.

Drylaw Hearts

i would feel aggrieved about Barr & Hamill if I was a Bairns or Killie fan but I'm not - however it's a matter for them that they perhaps should have done right by the clubs who gave them their big opportunity - not sure if many clubs would have paid much money for either of those players?

Specifically to Hearts and our own players - when there is the opportunity that our young players can leave for a big move away then there is the potential for everybody to benefit - player, club and in some instances also the players former club or youth club. It really gets my goat when these players think only to benefit themselves at the expense of the club and all those who've invested so much time, money & patience in helping to build their careers, especially when everybody can benefit if they do the "right" thing.

As I said....

We lost Allan Johnstone but we gained Neil McCann, we lost Paul Ritchie but we gained Steven Pressley, we lost Colin Cameron but we gained Paul Hartley.

Welcome to the world of Bosman and Webter CB.

This runs a lot deeper than the ?1m figure that's being banded around. This is a more fundamental question about the future of Scottish football. By preventing the OF effectively stealing our players for peanuts, we're putting in place the motions which might just save our league. Already Dundee Utd are following suit, and if a few other teams would stand up to them we might eventually find ourselves with a competitive league again, as they'd be forced to try (and probably fail) to compete with the Championship for wages, thus helping teams such as ourselves who concentrate on bringing through younger players with potential.

So, credit where it's due, and long may Vlad tell them to away and fling shite at themselves!

Charlie-Brown

As I said....

We lost Allan Johnstone but we gained Neil McCann, we lost Paul Ritchie but we gained Steven Pressley, we lost Colin Cameron but we gained Paul Hartley.

Welcome to the world of Bosman and Webter CB.

We bought & sold Neil McCann as we did with Colin Cameron, we also sold Ritchie albeit for only ?50K as I remember? Rangers however sold him to Man City for ?500K within a year. Hartley & Pressley had been around a number of clubs and were well into their 20's by the time we signed them plus we didn't rob another club of their most valuable prospects when we signed them - both were journeymen pro's who improved a LOT at HMFC.

Drylaw Hearts

We bought & sold Neil McCann and we sold Colin Cameron, we also sold Ritchie albeit for only ?50K as I remember? Rangers however sold him to Man City for ?500K within a year. Hartley & Pressley had been around a number of clubs and were well into their 20's by the time we signed them plus we didn't rob another club of their most valuable prospects when we signed them - both were journeymen pro's who improved a LOT at HMFC.

We got Neil McCann for nothing.

We got Colin Cameron for sweeties and made a huge profit.

We lost out on Paul Ritchie but signed Steven Pressley for nothing only 3 years after Dundee Utd paid ?750,000 for him.

We've gained more than we've lost from the Bosman ruling imo.

Charlie-Brown

Add Gary Naysmith to the ranks of those who did the right thing by everbody. :thumb:

Drylaw Hearts

Add Gary Naysmith to the ranks of those who did the right thing by everbody. :thumb:

Berra and Naismith merely signed a new deal and left sometime after that deal was signed.

It's not like either signed a contract and left 6 months later.

You really need to get over this.

Charlie-Brown

Hearts were reported to have paid ?125K to Dundee for Neil McCann and ?240K + John Millar for Colin Cameron, admittedly these were very low fees in comparison to what we eventually sold them for.

Charlie-Brown

Berra and Naismith merely signed a new deal and left sometime after that deal was signed.

It's not like either signed a contract and left 6 months later.

You really need to get over this.

Getting over wanting the best for our club? Is that what your advocating? :down:

Drylaw Hearts

Hearts were reported to have paid ?125K to Dundee for Neil McCann and ?240K + John Millar for Colin Cameron, admittedly these were very low fees in comparison to what we eventually sold them for.

I always thought McCann was a Bosman signing.

Oh well.

However, you get my drift....

we've gained and we will continue to gain from this ruling imo.

But to expect it all our own way is ridiculous.

I always thought McCann was a Bosman signing.

Oh well.

However, you get my drift....

we've gained and we will continue to gain from this ruling imo.

But to expect it all our own way is ridiculous.

IIRC we got McCann and Jim Hamilton for a combined fee of ?400k

They were far from household names at the time and I don't think Dundee complained of being shafted in any way?

And by the way that must be the best bit of business ( pound for pound ) ever done by JJ :thumbsup:

2nd bid knocked back, Wonder what Hearts have offered LW...

Why dont we just tell 'Tom Kite' to fcuk off until he has got ?2M in ready cash, he might be able to kid the knuckledraggers.

Why dont we just tell 'Tom Kite' to fcuk off until he has got ?2M in ready cash, he might be able to kid the knuckledraggers.

I'd rather sell him to Hibs than the OF. Whats the point in competing in anything whils selling your best players to your rivals.

Given that the players get paid peanuts until they establish themselves in the first team, and the club will bin them at the drop of a hat if they aren't likely to make it, then, yes, you are being naive to think that they owe the club anything.

Charlie-Brown

Given that the players get paid peanuts until they establish themselves in the first team, and the club will bin them at the drop of a hat if they aren't likely to make it, then, yes, you are being naive to think that they owe the club anything.

Surely given the high 'failure' rate those that do go on to become 1st team regulars and international players and capable of playing at a higher level should consider themselves the lucky ones and be grateful to the club for helping them achieve that opportunity. As I've already said we've previous examples of younger players who were able to see beyond their own greed and ensure their clubs did get suitably rewarded with a comensurate fee when they moved on - win/win for player & club, also they can return to the club without the supporters veiwing them as having shafted the club a bit as happened with A.Johnston, Ritchie & Webster but didn't apply to McCann, Naysmith, Gordon or Berra.....who all left on good terms with our best wishes.

Archived