what can you see hearts achiving this season?

HMFC-1874

vintage1874

3 wins against hibs and 3rd in the league. Our away form was much improved last season (apart from glasgow) need to stop dropping silly points at home and attempt to do more out west. Like other posters have said Fergie had the right idea JJ needs to adopt a similar attitude

I'd like to think we could make europa league but think we might fall at the next round. The cups are key to our season, full strength teams 100% committed as a cup final is long overdue. I'd take a cup final victory in any of the 2 cups.

peebles jambo

3rd and a clean sweep against the wee team, chuck in the league cup and i'd be over the moon

I honestly think several people on here are gonna get burned by predicting how we'll do next season.

It never pays to predict how we'll do.

i say cup, 2nd, 3rd place finish and a ok run in europe ?

thoguhts ?

With or without Rudi Skacel?

With= 3rd and a cup run

Without = scrape into top 6

Finish 3rd (easily, but still 20-25 points behind the The Bigot Brothers)

Good Cup run (Final of one of them)

Early exit from Europe.

The SPL is about to enter a brand new era, an era called total hoofball. The absolute dross in the league next season will be something to behold. It's going to be feckin dire.

Only a Game

I wonder if JJ and the backroom team sit down at any point before the season starts and set out a strategy for achievement.

I hope, if they do that they'll be thinking that every time a cup tie of any description comes round, we'll be upping our game to the maximum, making sure that how we approach these games gives us the best possible change of progressing.

As ever with Hearts, the two domestic cups is our best chance of a trophy so focussing on winning one of them has to be right at the top of the wish list for me.

Qualifying for the group stages is a very tough ask. That doesnt mean we shouldnt go all out for it but we'll be in against household European names in the play off round. You never know with a lucky draw but I cant see us progressing beyond that round.

As for the league, we'll be third, maybe 4th if we get distracted by cup runs or have injuries and suspensions that we cant cope with very easily. Either is acceptable and neither is particularly ground breaking or memorable. From a league campaign I'm happy enough if we go through a season unbeaten by Hibs, not humiliated by the Old firm. Not losing more than 4 or 5 games at home and generally beating the bottom six most times we play them either home or away. If that gets you third and Europe its fine by me. As long as its entertaining and we have a few thrills and spills along the way then you cant ask for much more. If it gets you 4th then some other club has had to have a pretty damn good season to finish above us and you cant argue with it.

Second place or better ?........Nah I think we've missed the window of opportunity for that one for a while unless there are signings in the offing that will take our breath away.

portobellojambo1

I am pleased with the players that have arrived so far, and think we have the makings of a team than can compete with all other clubs in the SPL. However, I'm loathe to get overly carried away, I prefer to think in terms of reasonable expectations, and anything else beyond that is a bonus.

I think we should expect to get at least 3rd again, but aim higher, and look to do well in the domestic cups and have a serious bash at reaching the Europa League group stages (with cup ties anything is possible depending on who you get and how you and they perform on any given day/night).

For me if I can see improvement on the park and enjoy the football on show I'll be reasonably content with that. If I knew when, for definite, I'm going to go toes up I might be more demanding, because I would love to see us win the SPL before I go. But without knowing the exact date I will make my exit I don't have to demand instant success.

Only a Game

I am pleased with the players that have arrived so far, and think we have the makings of a team than can compete with all other clubs in the SPL. However, I'm loathe to get overly carried away, I prefer to think in terms of reasonable expectations, and anything else beyond that is a bonus.

I think we should expect to get at least 3rd again, but aim higher, and look to do well in the domestic cups and have a serious bash at reaching the Europa League group stages (with cup ties anything is possible depending on who you get and how you and they perform on any given day/night).

For me if I can see improvement on the park and enjoy the football on show I'll be reasonably content with that. If I knew when, for definite, I'm going to go toes up I might be more demanding, because I would love to see us win the SPL before I go. But without knowing the exact date I will make my exit I don't have to demand instant success.

I reckon Ive got a minimum of 20 years left and a maximum of 30 (how fecking morbid is that !!!) When you look back 20-30 years, nothing much has changed in Scottish football that would suggest significant change in the future. We've had one big chance in my lifetime as a Hearts fan (1986 - getting on for 25 years ago) If we get another chance like that in the next 25, I hope to feck , for our sakes, we dont blow it, because its on my "bucket list"

Bunny Munro

If we can get out best 11 on the park more often than not, We should finsh 3rd.

5th or below is a failure. 4th is only ok if it comes with a semi in each cup.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a pretty pish season.

The only player we've brought in so far I'm really pleased with is Sutton. On the plus side we are organised very early which should help us.

Wallace could go.

It really depends on the fitness of Kyle/Webster/Driver next season and what happens with the keeper.

I wonder if JJ and the backroom team sit down at any point before the season starts and set out a strategy for achievement.

I hope, if they do that they'll be thinking that every time a cup tie of any description comes round, we'll be upping our game to the maximum, making sure that how we approach these games gives us the best possible change of progressing.

As ever with Hearts, the two domestic cups is our best chance of a trophy so focussing on winning one of them has to be right at the top of the wish list for me.

You're absolutely right. Most of our recent performances in cup competitions, no matter what kind of management has been in charge, have suggested that the club regards them as an inconvenience. This sorry state of affairs has led to some performances which were a grave insult to the fans present, this year's top-to-bottom debacle in the Scottish Cup against St Johnstone being a prime example. An utter disgrace of an evening.

It's high time this changed, but to be honest I'm not holding out much hope.

Good cup run. So a Semi or 2 and hopefully a final.

3rd place, or a point off it. Depending on Rangers situation a push against the OF would be good to see.

Europe? I'd happily take a run into the groups. Be good for the club in terms of money coming in, especially if we are playing at Murrayfield with the extra capacity that brings.

Gregory House M.D.

With or without Rudi Skacel?

With= 3rd and a cup run

Without = scrape into top 6

Good god, are you serious? Considering we'll have a stronger defence than most of last year i.e a real LB & an experienced SPL RB, Webster fit at the start to cement a defensive partnership with Zal/Barr/New signing. One more CM signing and we'll have a better midfield than last year and we already have better striking options. Admittedly Rudi scores goals but he does little else. To say he'll be the difference between us finnishing 3rd and us finnishing 6th is just shite. If he goes we'll still have Sutton, Driver, Suso, Templeton, Taouil, Kyle, Novikovas, Elliott, Glen, Smith, Robinson, Elliot & Stevenson available in attack, which is still the best range of attackers outside the old firm.

My main hope before any season is to see silverware. Simple.

As a bog standard requirement, a club like ours should be somewhere in the top 3 at worst and having a good go at the cups.

As for Europe , i`d like to see a great effort to try and get to the groups but i fine well know we could get a really tough tie if we get through our first two-legged match.

PS....rudi or no rudi we can still achieve ffs. Is rudi the be all and end all? To leave us and we never have success again? get real.

I love to be worng - but I can't see us doing well in 4 competitions, we simply dont have the squad.

It's got to be about priorities:

1. The SPL - Anything lower than 3rd and it's been a poor season

2. Europe - Get to Group Stages - cash flow reasons - and euro away trips!!

3. Scottish Cup - all depends on europe how we will get on (and the draw obv.)If we go out early in europa then we must make at least a semi-final - avoid the OF and we should get a final.

4. League Cup - I'd go for playing some of the now over age U19's in this comp see how they get on.

I love to be worng - but I can't see us doing well in 4 competitions, we simply dont have the squad.

It's got to be about priorities:

1. The SPL - Anything lower than 3rd and it's been a poor season

2. Europe - Get to Group Stages - cash flow reasons - and euro away trips!!

3. Scottish Cup - all depends on europe how we will get on (and the draw obv.)If we go out early in europa then we must make at least a semi-final - avoid the OF and we should get a final.

4. League Cup - I'd go for playing some of the now over age U19's in this comp see how they get on.

don't agree with you there, when was the last time we were knocked out the cup by Celtic or Rangers???

don't agree with you there, when was the last time we were knocked out the cup by Celtic or Rangers???

Fair point, but Celtic at Parkhead in a 1/4 final of the Scottish Cup - no sure I'd have the mortgage on us tbh ? Even one of them in a semi final at Hampden I'd be less than confident. We anit got a great record against them away from Tynie under JJ.

Glad you agree with the rest though :P

Seymour M Hersh

I'll wait until we've played 5 or 6 games before predicting anything. And even then I may just predict the 5 or 6 games played!! :woot:

Third in the league, win our first European game and maybe a run in one of the cups. Europa League group stages would be fantastic, but we'd need to be unbelievably lucky with the 4th round draw. Still, we've got a punchers chance as long as we have a go at teams. :thumbsup:

Creepy Lurker

Based on the signings that we've made, I think that with a bit of luck and off-field stability we can finish third. No more, no less.

Coburg Hearts

This is how Paddy Power sees the fight for the top six next season.

SPL

Finish 2011-2012

Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 12:30

Top 6 Finish

Hearts 1/10 Aberdeen 11/8 St Mirren 5/1 Dundee United 1/7 Inverness CT 13/8 Dunfermline 11/2 Hibernian 11/8 Kilmarnock 15/8

Motherwell 11/8 St Johnstone 9/4

Minimum 3rd place, but pushing for 2nd place at least till the split!

Semi's in both cups at least, hopefully a final!

Group stages in europe.

Anything less :verymad:

FTH

Guest Dr. Pepper

History tells us we won't finish 3rd two seasons in a row

:nah:

Hearts finished 3rd two seasons in a row as recently as 2002/03 and 2003/04

Also if history is anything to go by Hearts should be walking 3rd place. The all time SPL table which began in 1998 has Hearts clear in 3rd position by something like 120 points, we are also the only club outside the Old Firm with a positive goal difference.

No longer active

Whilst it might be the dream of every Hearts fan for a good performance in all 4 competitions next season, the reality is that unless there is major investment by Romanov and his supposed wad then realistically once again we will be also-rans, scapegoats and the victims of the GFA once again. The signs do not look good as evidenced by our new signings; the reliance on the legend that is Rudolph Skacel (legend = player who had a decent 6 months for us once); the debt (which is only getting worse, and no amount of cash for shares will ever address); the stadia (old and lacking Health and Safety certificates); A management team that ultmately offers a sense of deja vu (went to Bradford City when it all went t1ts up).

Next season will be no different to this last one! 3rd being the most optomistic result. A cup run a possibility (management has a record of previous cup success) however that is draw dependant. In Europe we may perhaps still be qualifying in August, but by then we will be non-seeded and probably have our backs to the wall after being thumped away from home, only to scrape a home win and regain some pride.... But ultimately fail to reach the group stages.

So I dream of finishing second, winning a cup and playing in Europe into 2012.

In reality, until we stop drawing/losing against the non OF and being inconsistent then there is no hope.

My prediction - 4th. Scottish Cup QF and LC Semis. Exit Europe in August.

If Romanov throws in the towel then things do not look good, they are not rosy now.

3rd, anything less would be a poor season.

Winning Scottish / league cup OR group stages of the Europa League...

I would be a very happy Jambo...

Coburg Hearts

:verysmug:

I felt a bit smug too. :)

Here are the odds for teams to finish in the BOTTOM six...........note that hibs are odds on. Good stuff. B)

Scottish Premier Bottom 6 Finish 2011-2012

Saturday, 16th July 2011, 12:30

Bottom 6 Finish

Dunfermline 1/12 Inverness CT 4/9 Dundee United 4/1 St Mirren 1/10 Hibernian 8/15 Hearts 5/1 St Johnstone 3/10 Aberdeen 8/15

Kilmarnock 4/11 Motherwell 8/15

3rd place and a semi at least must be the at least minimum we achieve this season coming for the wages we spend compared to the rest.

Archived