what can you see hearts achiving this season?

HMFC-1874

tartofmidlothian

If we finish third again the season's been a success, anything less than that's a failure. That's all we can expect or demand.

But ideally I'd also like to see us reach at least one cup semi and the Europa group stages, these shouldn't be beyond us with the right draw, a bit of luck and an in-form team.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, though.

Gregory House M.D.

3rd, wee & big cup semis and Europa League playoffs. Anything more would be unbelievable

tartofmidlothian

3rd.

Cup run.

UEFA Cup group? Nope.

Let's face it, if Aberdeen can do it then it shouldn't be impossible for us.

Unless Alexander's the missing ingredient? :huh:

HillmanHearts

With the players signed so far and if we keep Kello & Zal.

If Rudi signs and still has a season in him. And maybe if we could get Rooney and get Kyle & Driver fit: If Temps can carry on where he left off.

Challenge for title for longer than last season - and maybe sneaking 2nd.

With sensible Cup Tie management for a fecken change ( ie. no fecken weakened teams against any fecker ) and a good draw then one of the cup finals

and maybe a win depending on how it goes on the day.

We need a cup final.

alwaysthereinspirit

3RD at worse is a must, we should be making the semi final of both cups every year, Europa league and obviously 3 wins against the #obos.

tartofmidlothian

Another thing - if we're happy with 3rd I'd still like to see us closer to 2nd than 4th this season.

bajthejambo

I want a day at Hampden. Our campaigns in the cup competitions have been woeful of late.

SPL runners-up, League Cup Semi-finalists, Scottish Cup winners, Europa League last-16.

Champions League football next season, title contenders and Scottish Cup holders.

Excellent comments, good honest Jambo Talk.

If JJ can get the players to accept they are not in any way inferior to the OF, then each encounter with the OF becomes a 50/50.

The gers now have an untested kid-manager in Wee Ally, and Lennon is walking a fine line.

It's wobbly time for the Weegies! The OF are there for the taking.

SPL: I say 3rd for sure, however if the players can truelly believe in themselves, as a team, we can get 2nd spot.

Euro: Qualifiers are a must win, not just because of the money, it's vital that this season we build confidance.

If we can make the group stages, who knows how good it's going to get?.

SC: As for a cup run, I think we have more 'steely attitude' with the new players JJ's brought in.

Battlers who are more likely to turn games around when the going gets tough, perfect for the one-off cup ties.

JJ has released the chaff, he could have cut deeper, but this seasons squad is far better than in recent years.

ToadKiller Dog

3rd in the league should always be seen as minimum. At least one cup semi if not final.

Europe at least through to the next round then who knows I think we could give any team a good go at home.

3rd place in SPL, 25 points behind 2nd place

League Cup Semi Final, losing 2-0 to Rangers at Hampden

Scottish Cup winners, 2-1 vs Celtic.

3rd place in Europa League Group after our inability to perform away from home is our undoing (1 win and 2 draws at home, but 3 defeats away) German, Dutch and Ukranian teams in our group.

Wallace, Driver and Kello all leave, as does Black and Kyle.

New stadium proposal pushed through and Hearts agree in principle to move to land owned by UBIG to play in a "sports precinct" owned and operated by Hearts Community Stadiums a new company owned 100% by UBIG.

Vlad-Stupid

3rd place.

Add another 3 games to our unbeaten tally against Flair FC

Get horsed out both cups early doors as per :( would love a run in the SC though (and would love to draw hibs in the cup again ;) )

Would love to make the Europa groups. We might get pumped every game but 1) it would be worth a few million and 2) the more away games the better :)

3rd.

3rd was a nap before any signing were made but we should finish a good 15 points in front of any challengers for 3rd place now. We are up against absolutely nothing.

Buffalo Bill

4th in the league and early cup exits away to Dundee and Falkirk.

Depending on what players we have by the start of the season, and for the whole season, the answers could be slightly different. Basing it on the current squad we have with no departures i would say. Also basing on current OF squads.

Minimum 3rd in the league. (Possibly even splitting the OF and/or running them close)

A cup win.

Europa League final qualifying round. (Would love to see us make the group stages but a lot will probably depend on our luck in the draw as i believe we are unseeded in the Q4)

3 humiliations of the vermin.

the biggest financial input into the squad came with Burley. the likes of takis Janny en all we prob didn't appreciate at the time. we split them then but still couldn't win the league. investment has lowered squad wise as costs have been tightened so I think a league win is unfortunately beyond us.

if we gel we can beat them on our day and third is a must as well as cup run. euro success would be getting through the qualifiers.

as long as we are in existence I will support hearts as We are nott like the OF who's support is guaranteed providing they are winning. A bit of harmony within the squad/management and owners would be nice and a resolution one way or the other to our stadium plans would put my mind at ease over the future with vlad

We'll get more than 70 points. Maybe Celtic or Rangers will have a shocker and we can get 2nd, but more likely 3rd again. They both got over 90 points last season - we simply can't do that. Over 70 is a top achievement and I think we can do it next season.

Atleast semis in both cups

Knocked out of europe in group stage play-offs. Looking at the teams we can get in that round, I don't share the prediction that we can reach the groups. Be guid though!

3rd. Quarter finals of both cups. Out of Europe in the game before the group stage is my prediction

Ecce Romanov

Win eurovision song contest, wimbledon, first football team in space, win the league, get relegated, get 16 players sent off in one game, shag an unnamed premiership footballer and Romanov will become a US presidential candidate. Apart from that, not much.

With the players signed so far and if we keep Kello & Zal.

If Rudi signs and still has a season in him. And maybe if we could get Rooney and get Kyle & Driver fit: If Temps can carry on where he left off.

Challenge for title for longer than last season - and maybe sneaking 2nd.

With sensible Cup Tie management for a fecken change ( ie. no fecken weakened teams against any fecker ) and a good draw then one of the cup finals

and maybe a win depending on how it goes on the day.

We need a cup final.

4 average squad players? Talk of us taking Europe by storm or splitting the OF is highly unrealistic.

the biggest financial input into the squad came with Burley. the likes of takis Janny en all we prob didn't appreciate at the time. we split them then but still couldn't win the league. investment has lowered squad wise as costs have been tightened so I think a league win is unfortunately beyond us.

if we gel we can beat them on our day and third is a must as well as cup run. euro success would be getting through the qualifiers.

as long as we are in existence I will support hearts as We are nott like the OF who's support is guaranteed providing they are winning. A bit of harmony within the squad/management and owners would be nice and a resolution one way or the other to our stadium plans would put my mind at ease over the future with vlad

Agree with you investment has went down, but I don't agree a league title is well beyond us at some point, because of this. Rangers financial input has decreased hugely compared to what ours has, Celtics is not the same as 2005/6 either. I genuinely believe with the right group of players/squad and motivation etc we could push the OF. We are seeing probably the worst OF teams together in the last 15-20 years, I think they reached their levels a few years ago and are sliding back, as other teams improve.

The biggest problem is the mentality of the team. The OF have a consistent winning mentality, they go into each game expecting to win it, the fans expect them to win, call that arrogance yes but its what is needed. Do we have this? every top club/s in each league have this mentality.

ernie winchester

4th in the league and early cup exits away to Dundee and Falkirk.

On paper, we look well ahead of 'the rest', so a successful season would appear achievable, but I worry that this will be the case. The reason? When we have a good season, it's normally followed by a miserable one. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong... :(

Charlie-Brown

Normally I would predict 4th +/- 1 place but this year I've upgraded us a notch to 3rd place +/- 1 place & a hampden appearance (semi or final).

i say cup, 2nd, 3rd place finish and a ok run in europe ?

thoguhts ?

Knocked out the Europa Cup in the 1st round, knocked out the diddy cup in the quarters, knocked out the Scottish Cup in the quarters, 3rd place at a canter.

Excellent comments, good honest Jambo Talk.

If JJ can get the players to accept they are not in any way inferior to the OF, then each encounter with the OF becomes a 50/50.

The gers now have an untested kid-manager in Wee Ally, and Lennon is walking a fine line.

It's wobbly time for the Weegies! The OF are there for the taking.

People said the Old Firm were there for the taking last year too. Both finished with over 90 points.

There's nothing to suggest they are there for the taking this year and there's no way the players we have signed are of the standard needed to close a 30 point gap. Sorry to piss on your parade but lets be realistic here.

People said the Old Firm were there for the taking last year too. Both finished with over 90 points.

There's nothing to suggest they are there for the taking this year and there's no way the players we have signed are of the standard needed to close a 30 point gap. Sorry to piss on your parade but lets be realistic here.

How many points did we throw away in the last few months? points that could have and should have been in the bag? The OF and ourselves still had the same teams when from when we beat everyone in the league on our run. Its back to what I said in my previous post. Its down to the players AND management mentality.

How many points did we throw away in the last few months? points that could have and should have been in the bag? The OF and ourselves still had the same teams when from when we beat everyone in the league on our run. Its back to what I said in my previous post. Its down to the players AND management mentality.

We had a purple patch where we played out of our skins and then normal service resumed. The Old Firm's purple patches last the entire season. Why? They have better players that cost a lot more money and get paid a lot more money.

Signing players from Kilmarnock and Motherwell, albeit decent ones, isn't going to suddenly make us title contenders. Especially when we could still lose Wallace, Skacel and Kello.

I think the mistake many are making here Ray is comparing us directly with the OF in considering a challenge. We're not competing with them, we're competing with the rest. If we can beat the rest, it automatically becomes a challenge.

We look far better on paper than anyone else in the league. As much as the OF look much better than us. We're sitting in a clear papery 3rd position. Our job and ambition is to be so much better than the rest that we don't drop any or many points against them.

I'm not saying that that's on the cards, I'm just saying a challenge isn't fully dependent on competing with the OF.

90 points is mental for us. Anything above 70 is an exceptional season.

Charlie-Brown

I think we should have more than enough about us to finish 3rd next season (even if we lost some of kello, zali, wallace or skacel) as our other SPL rivals have all lost some key players as well - particularly Dundee Utd who were easily our strongest competitors for 3rd place last season. We'd have to play out of our skins all season and go on an 85-86 or 97-98 type run to get anywhere near to finishing close to top spot (in terms of eventual points difference)

We had a purple patch where we played out of our skins and then normal service resumed. The Old Firm's purple patches last the entire season. Why? They have better players that cost a lot more money and get paid a lot more money.

Signing players from Kilmarnock and Motherwell, albeit decent ones, isn't going to suddenly make us title contenders. Especially when we could still lose Wallace, Skacel and Kello.

Hence why I said originally basing it on current squad and no departures.

The purple patch part I do understand, and yes the OF do have some players better than ours, but because a player costs more does not make him better, Look at Skacel when we first got him, how much did he cost? now at his peak he could have walked into any OF team. Thats just one example there are many more. Its a natural thing for people to assume because a player costs maybe 3 million quid or so he must be great and then they fear him. As i keep saying the mindset of a team is critical in how well they do.

Hence why I said originally basing it on current squad and no departures.

The purple patch part I do understand, and yes the OF do have some players better than ours, but because a player costs more does not make him better, Look at Skacel when we first got him, how much did he cost? now at his peak he could have walked into any OF team. Thats just one example there are many more. Its a natural thing for people to assume because a player costs maybe 3 million quid or so he must be great and then they fear him. As i keep saying the mindset of a team is critical in how well they do.

I think people were a bit unfair on Ragers last season. I think they were actually a pretty good team. Their performance at Tynie when we somehow beat them 1-0 was outstanding. They've got some good players and are a tight unit as a whole team. Whether McCoist can continue that we'll see. Celtic also looked very good in patches, especially as an attacking force.

It's easy to say the OF are weak etc, but they simply aren't. At any one time, we will have players good enough to play for them. Wallace and Driver at full fitnees, maybe Kello, at present. Their whole team will be better than ours. That'll be the case for the foreseeable.

Our job is to be as better than the rest of the SPL as the OF are than us (does that sentence work?!). Thay way, we can challenge. Financially there is a gulf between us and the rest - we need to make that count on the park.

Drylaw Hearts

trying to guess correctly where we'll finish in the Cup is virtually impossible as we have no idea of which teams we'll get etc.

And barring any disasters or major recruitment by someone 3rd should be a certainty with the squad we have.

Agree with you investment has went down, but I don't agree a league title is well beyond us at some point, because of this. Rangers financial input has decreased hugely compared to what ours has, Celtics is not the same as 2005/6 either. I genuinely believe with the right group of players/squad and motivation etc we could push the OF. We are seeing probably the worst OF teams together in the last 15-20 years, I think they reached their levels a few years ago and are sliding back, as other teams improve.

The biggest problem is the mentality of the team. The OF have a consistent winning mentality, they go into each game expecting to win it, the fans expect them to win, call that arrogance yes but its what is needed. Do we have this? every top club/s in each league have this mentality.

You need a top management team to install this belief, we don't have this. JJ's been beaten down from them far too many times in his career to ever have the confidence to do it. The signings we have made proves the management are not up to the challenge and contrary to belief we need someone who can get the best out of our players

There is no point in starting the season thinking 3rd, cup run or any of that. You need to start with the expectation on 1st. You have to go into every game looking to win it, and if you achieve that, you come 1st. Is there any team in the league we can not beat ? No - so there we have it 1st !

History tells us we won't finish 3rd two seasons in a row. Hopefully it will be one up from this, but I doubt it. Cups? Depends on the draw I guess. Europe, if we reach the group stages would be orgasmic. Don't see it though.

History tells us we won't finish 3rd two seasons in a row. Hopefully it will be one up from this, but I doubt it. Cups? Depends on the draw I guess. Europe, if we reach the group stages would be orgasmic. Don't see it though.

You can't judge it on history. Vlads financial backing doesn't give us that excuse

Dont disagree with the winning mentality bit although would say as a fan everytime we get a bit belief and momentum there seems to be some sort of controversial decision or vlad opens his gub or an issue that knocks us back. Maybe thats what you are saying where a team is bigger than all that and rises above it?? certainly if you go back to the 80s with SAF at the helm at the sheep THEY dictated how games went and Willie Millar dicated refereeing decisions and basically told them how it was. I have vivid images of Millar refusing to budge and refs having to go to him.When you look at how we are treated how the fek did he get away with it ?

They obviously had a settled squad and a bit of harmony, things we could never really argue we have had under the present regime but yes I do accept that if all was settled, injuries/suspensions kept to a minimum and the all important luck then the curent OF squads could be competed with, I just dont think we are never that far away at any given time from another major episode of some kind

Thankfully history is in the past, and the future is 1st.

You can't judge it on history. Vlads financial backing doesn't give us that excuse

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but always been a great believer in the fact that history dictates the present dictates the future. It is the only yardstick we have that is an actual. Hope to be wrong obviously

Dont disagree with the winning mentality bit although would say as a fan everytime we get a bit belief and momentum there seems to be some sort of controversial decision or vlad opens his gub or an issue that knocks us back. Maybe thats what you are saying where a team is bigger than all that and rises above it?? certainly if you go back to the 80s with SAF at the helm at the sheep THEY dictated how games went and Willie Millar dicated refereeing decisions and basically told them how it was. I have vivid images of Millar refusing to budge and refs having to go to him.When you look at how we are treated how the fek did he get away with it ?

They obviously had a settled squad and a bit of harmony, things we could never really argue we have had under the present regime but yes I do accept that if all was settled, injuries/suspensions kept to a minimum and the all important luck then the curent OF squads could be competed with, I just dont think we are never that far away at any given time from another major episode of some kind

Excellent example using SAF at the sheep, i was actually thinking about using it in a previous post. SAF installed a winning mentality in them Arrogance if you like. I remember only to well seeing Miller and Mcleish dictating to refs what should and should not be done etc. Refs back then i think gave them everything to shut the mouth pieces up because I think they spent an entire match in the refs ear, different now of course as far as that goes, but that was their mindset they expected everything and expected to win, and even then because it was a non OF team winning they had the issues of the media and SFA to contend with as well. I remember reading some time ago SAF sayng something along the lines of "In Scotland it's not only the OF you have to compete against it's the SFA and Media" now that was said nearly 30 years ago, nothing has changed if anything its maybe worse.

A good OF challenge, and either finishing just 2nd or 3rd with a HUGE gap between us and 4th place,

At least one cup final,

Group stages of Europa League.

Although I hope we can finish 1st so that all the disgusting 'Hearts fans' on here with their ridiculously negative comments can finally have something positive to say!

You make me sick! :down:

Archived