Never knew we had our own flute band!

Clerry Jambo

Star_of_Edina

There are many unanswered questions, but I suspect that our friend has left us now,

I haven?t gone anywhere to be honest but i have a business to run, but i will reply in due course

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven?t gone anywhere to be honest but i have a business to run, but i will reply in due course

I'd still like to know why the protestant church aren't very accepting of what it is that you do? When you have time.

wonderful

Funny, the more you read about these fringe types the more they creep me out. All this "educating" youngsters as the state ignores their version of history makes my skin crawl. I'm sure the Afrikaans, the Klan, Muslim Brotherhood, numerous US cults all have the same template just add different words. Good grief, forgive, forget and move on. I'm 3rd generation removed from Northern Ireland and my descendants couldn't wait to get out of their poverty and thank god haven't felt the need to look back dewey eyed. Never felt the urge to dress up as an extra from a low budget bollywood film from the sixties either.

Funny, the more you read about these fringe types the more they creep me out. All this "educating" youngsters as the state ignores their version of history makes my skin crawl. I'm sure the Afrikaans, the Klan, Muslim Brotherhood, numerous US cults all have the same template just add different words. Good grief, forgive, forget and move on. I'm 3rd generation removed from Northern Ireland and my descendants couldn't wait to get out of their poverty and thank god haven't felt the need to look back dewey eyed. Never felt the urge to dress up as an extra from a low budget bollywood film from the sixties either.

Yeah can see you have moved on :lol:

I am not surprised that some on here are having a go at star of edina and portobello jambo, it's just

what some people do on here. The two lads always come over polite and answer any questions that are asked.

As for the band laying a wreath at Tynecastle, i thought that was a nice touch and they should be congratulated for doing so.

Schools don?t teach about the Great War, the Covenanters, the Battle of the Boyne or the Siege of Derry, which are just as important to the teaching of history because of their significance in how we are able to have freedom today, as for churches some are very accepting of the PUL Culture and some are not.

That's my son's history exam screwed then. Do you think it's too late for me to write to the SQA and inform them he was told to revise the wrong stuff by his teachers?

I've read some hogwash on Kickback, but this really takes the biscuit.

History plays a large part of the PUL Community

Does it?

the 36th Ulster Division which was raised the same as The 16th Royal Scots...

I thought history plays a large part......... :unsure:

Schools don?t teach about the Great War, the Covenanters, the Battle of the Boyne or the Siege of Derry, which are just as important to the teaching of history because of their significance in how we are able to have freedom today, as for churches some are very accepting of the PUL Culture and some are not.

You should live where I do - all these things are on the school curriculum. :thumbsup:

Chris Benoit

You should live where I do - all these things are on the school curriculum. :thumbsup:

:lol:

PsychocAndy

Yeah I know a couple of non jambos who are pretty good swimmers!

They may be non Jambos but its water, they are definitely not Hibees. :rolleyes:

Are you seriously suggesting that Northern Ireland is poverty stricken?

:blink:

In fairness, he's also suggesting that his descendants left there. Maybe they left in a Tardis. :whistling::lol:

In fairness, he's also suggesting that his descendants left there. Maybe they left in a Tardis. :whistling::lol:

:laugh:

Never noticed that.

Must've been down to my upbringing of grain and raw carrots.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Indeed. The difference of course being that they bust some myths....:whistling:

It doesn't seem that long ago many Hibs fans(casual types) were in tow with the James Connolly society, remember seeing ugly scenes on the news from the Grass Market.If people chose to march under the name ''HMFB'' that up to them, hardly massive numbers.I was told many of there numbers were made up of Rangers supporters anyway.The fact is is some find this Band embarrassing some not, wont change.I'm all for freedom of expression Re of creed colour or religion, best ignored as i did when some guy from Rome appeared spreading the word from above

just started reading this thread and recognised a guy i know in the second video. he`s a rangers fan from selkirk

This is not a Loyalist Memorial!

The three Scottish soldiers' killings was an incident that took place in Northern Ireland during The Troubles. It happened on 9 March 1971, when the Provisional Irish Republican Army (Provisional IRA) ambushed and shot dead three British Army soldiers of the 1st Battalion, Royal Highland Fusiliers. Two of the three were teenage brothers; all three were from Scotland. They were killed off-duty and in civilian clothes having been lured from a city-centre bar in Belfast, Northern Ireland, driven to a remote location and shot whilst relieving themselves by the roadside. Whilst three British soldiers had been killed prior to this event, all three had been on-duty and killed during rioting.

The deaths led to public mourning and protests against the Provisional IRA. Pressure to act precipitated a political crisis for the government of Northern Ireland, which led to the resignation of Northern Ireland Prime Minister James Chichester-Clark. The British Army raised the minimum age needed to serve in Northern Ireland to 18 in response to this incident. In 2010 a memorial was dedicated to the three soldiers near to where they were killed in north Belfast.

Thank you, I'm well aware of the story of these tragic lads and I remember this with sadness.

I was not claiming this was a loyalist memorial but was just asking a simple question as to the 'history' you are teaching these young lads. I have visited different pats of Ireland and have made a point of visiting many different locations. I even visited the Bogside and saw the memorials to Bloody Sunday. In the interests of a rounded education it is important to see all sides of the argument. You cleverly avoided the question which I don't think you will attempt to answer but hey, it's always worth asking and so I'll give you a chance to answer it again. :whistling:

Sheriff Fatman
Many people are unaware or just choose to ignore the fact that History is taut within the Loyal Orange Lodge, Apprentice Boys or Derry, Royal Black Preceptory, Flute or Accordion Band or Somme Associations.

I think that maybe they would do better starting with the basics, such as spelling.

Of course not. I was using it in the possessive sense for my descendents. They lived in a rural area in Antrim which is now basically empty, a community of 5000 in the thirties that now has less than a handful. Says its own story I'm afraid.

Time warp? some like it that way.

Archived