Never knew we had our own flute band!

Clerry Jambo

Star_of_Edina

sorry, my point is, if they claim no affiliation with Hearts fc then why attend a Hearts remembrance service?

I dont think the organisations you quote are comparable.

The obviously they have an interest in History and what better way to Honour the war dead than to lay a wreath at their local memorial what is so wrong about that?

Why they are a community based organisation as far as i am aware Flute Bands have nothing in there constitution barring other religions!

Is the Masonic Barred from laying wreathes anywhere?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
davemclaren

The obviously they have an interest in History and what better way to Honour the war dead than to lay a wreath at their local memorial what is so wrong about that?

Why they are a community based organisation as far as i am aware Flute Bands have nothing in there constitution barring other religions!

The BB and Scouts tend not to black out their faces.

portobellojambo1

However those who are branding them embarrassing, bigots etc etc, are surely as ignorant and prejudiced

People are making such statements under the guise of expressing an opinion, because they have a viewpoint and principles which they believe in and others which they do not.

However they make statements about organisations, such as the Orange Order, as non members, and without a clue what happens inside such organisations. They object to the Orange Order, for example, having a viewpoint and principles, like themselves, i.e. things they believe in and things which they do not.

Believing in some things and not others doesn't make you a bigot. Otherwise every HMFC fan who only believes in HMFC, with outright opposition for other teams is effectively a bigot, based on the opinions of those you rightly describe as both ignorant and prejudiced, so prejudiced they don't actually realise it. The Orange Order doesn't exist for people who want to hate Roman Catholics and/or Republicanism. It exists for people who want to support certain values, while respecting the viewpoint of others. Those commenting on this thread would probably realise that though, if they knew anything about the Orange Order, other than just the drivel they read on here about it from non members.

Those who cannot accept the viewpoint of others, are the real bigots, and they can be found in all walks of life, and in much higher numbers out with such organisations.

Star_of_Edina

The BB and Scouts tend not to black out their faces.

What?s blacking out there faces got to do with it?

I posted the picture of the lads and didn?t want their faces in the public domain!

No answers to the other questions or are we all done now?

Sheriff Fatman
Those who cannot accept the viewpoint of others, are the real bigots.

They have every right to hold their views and we have every right to disagree with them. It's a little thing called freedom of speech.

What they do not have a right to do is hijack the memory of both the Protestant and Catholic Edinburgh residents who volunteered to serve in McCrae's Battalion just to give their dressing up games a fake legitimacy.

davemclaren

What?s blacking out there faces got to do with it?

I posted the picture of the lads and didn?t want their faces in the public domain!

No answers to the other questions or are we all done now?

What other questions?

portobellojambo1

They have every right to hold their views and we have every right to disagree with them. It's a little thing called freedom of speech.

What they do not have a right to do is hijack the memory of both the Protestant and Catholic Edinburgh residents who volunteered to serve in McCrae's Battalion just to give their dressing up games a fake legitimacy.

Was unaware they had done so SF, I've not read all the way through this thread. I get a bit bored when I start reading comments posted on JKB about organisations which are in the main posted by people who know feck all about said organisations. If it is in relation to them laying a wreath in memory of those who gave their lives, I would hardly call that hijack, otherwise there are more than just them who could be accused of that.

Star_of_Edina

What other questions?

Sheriff Fatman

Was unaware they had done so SF, I've not read all the way through this thread. I get a bit bored when I start reading comments posted on JKB about organisations which are in the main posted by people who know feck all about said organisations. If it is in relation to them laying a wreath in memory of those who gave their lives, I would hardly call that hijack, otherwise there are more than just them who could be accused of that.

If you look at the photos above you will see the Royal Scots regiment badge, the words McCrae's 16th Battalion and the Heart of Midlothian Flute Band Badge (including the Ulster flag) all linked together as if there was actually a link between the former two and the latter.

Star_of_Edina

Tell me where in Law it states that these young men and woman can honour their war dead?

I will say once again regardless of creed religion or colour our war dead should be honoured and these Band Members are entitled to do this like everyone else with being told they are hijacking things,

davemclaren

Nothing. I stick to my point that they seem to claim no type of link with Hearts FC so it seems strange to lay a wreath at a remembrance service focused on Hearts players who died for their country, though I don't have a problem with them laying a wreath at all. However, the wearing of the uniform seems to me to be to make some unnecessary point and to be controversial.

I bet they don't. It's their choice if they want to have their band but let's not pretend it's some cuddly community organisation welcoming to all.

No idea, I'm not a mason.

portobellojambo1

If you look at the photos above you will see the Royal Scots regiment badge, the words McCrae's 16th Battalion and the Heart of Midlothian Flute Band Badge (including the Ulster flag) all linked together as if there was actually a link between the former two and the latter.

I have seen some offensive photos on-line, of varying sorts, but the above certainly come nowhere near to causing offence, well not in my eyes.

In terms of something that was mentioned a little earlier on in the thread, I was also at the remembrance service held in Tynecastle. I also witnessed the member of the band who was there to lay a wreath on behalf of the band members. Again, I didn't find it offensive in the slightest. However, what I would suggest to them in future is that on such occasions there is no need to wear band uniform. I guess that like the various other groups who lay wreaths they purchase said wreath from club funds, and it bears a card on it with the name of the group laying it. That card is all that is needed to distinguish them from the other groups there.

I would respectfully suggest to them there is no need to dress in any way other than what is appropriate for such occasions, taking the weather into account. On that day they aren't there on band duty they are there to show respect for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. They should be commended for taking the time to be there, many don't bother, It is around 45 minutes out of your day to remember those who gave their lives so that we could retain the right to live as we do, including having the right to freedom of speech (something that had also been fought for over a much longer period prior to either World War).

Maybe the Hibs fans who were in the Battalion would give you a slight hint.

Right, seeing as that's not producing evidence to back up your claim that Loyalists are hijacking this, I'm gonna go ahead and conclude that you have no idea what you're banging on about and that you have a massive chip on your shoulder about Loyalism.

I have no idea what they've been teaching these kids, but I'm going to assume that it's to hate Catholics without question and to hang a picture of H.R.H in their hallway, whilst breeding bulldogs.

I translated your post for you.

Libertonian_II

beat me too it and its based in sunny leith

Sorry John, they're not based there. They train in a variety of pools all over Edinburgh but the closest they get to leef is Ainslie Park.

Sheriff Fatman

Right, seeing as that's not producing evidence to back up your claim that Loyalists are hijacking this, I'm gonna go ahead and conclude that you have no idea what you're banging on about and that you have a massive chip on your shoulder about Loyalism.

Not see the photo with the Royal Scots regiment badge, the words 'McCrae'e 16th Battalion and the Flute band badge with Ulster flag all put together trying to make some fake link then.

No chip either, they just aren't important enough to actually give a rat's about no matter how much they think marching about in fancy dress makes them something special.

Not see the photo with the Royal Scots regiment badge, the words 'McCrae'e 16th Battalion and the Flute band badge with Ulster flag all put together trying to make some fake link then.

No chip either, they just aren't important enough to actually give a rat's about no matter how much they think marching about in fancy dress makes them something special.

I did see the photo, but a wee embroidered logo on a shirt doesn't mean they're hijacking anything. And seeing you made this claim before that photo even surfaced, I trust you have something more to back up your somewhat spurious claims?

And the second part of your final claim contradicts the first.

Snake Plissken

So what is the correlation between the 16th Royal Scots Battalion, which disbanded in 1918, and Ulster Loyalism?

As a few others have said Heart of Midlothian is synonymous with Edinburgh :thumbsup: and anyone can use it as stated there is a Masonic club and a swimming club who use the name. Now there is a flute band who use the name Heart of Midlothian who although claim they are not affiliated to the club do have some members who are Jambos. The problem most decent Hearts fans have is that using the same name of our beloved fitba club means that sadly many people will associate the flute band with HMFC even though it isn't and most Hearts fans are having to already disassociate ourselves with the flute band. :angry:

People are making such statements under the guise of expressing an opinion, because they have a viewpoint and principles which they believe in and others which they do not.

However they make statements about organisations, such as the Orange Order, as non members, and without a clue what happens inside such organisations. They object to the Orange Order, for example, having a viewpoint and principles, like themselves, i.e. things they believe in and things which they do not.

Believing in some things and not others doesn't make you a bigot. Otherwise every HMFC fan who only believes in HMFC, with outright opposition for other teams is effectively a bigot, based on the opinions of those you rightly describe as both ignorant and prejudiced, so prejudiced they don't actually realise it. The Orange Order doesn't exist for people who want to hate Roman Catholics and/or Republicanism. It exists for people who want to support certain values, while respecting the viewpoint of others. Those commenting on this thread would probably realise that though, if they knew anything about the Orange Order, other than just the drivel they read on here about it from non members.

Those who cannot accept the viewpoint of others, are the real bigots, and they can be found in all walks of life, and in much higher numbers out with such organisations.

Every member of a flute band or Orange order I have ever met or known and I've known a lot in my 50 odd years living in Edinburgh sing songs with lyrics which are sectarian, racists and intolerable to decent minded people. I've heard them sing their songs, play their music and hear their views on history which is so one sided that they show their ignorance on many topics. I have even lived next door to memnbers of these organisations. There is nothing wrong with anyone promoting, practicing or celebrating their religion, culture or history but if what these people sing and believe is religion then they can keep it to themselves. So don't anyone try to paint a picture of some cultural, normal organisation which promotes a normal view and teaches a balanced historical picture and if anyone disagrees and tries to point this out - they are the bigots :lol:

This was the lads visiting the spot where 3 Scottish Soldiers were brutally murdered by the PIRA IN 1971

70437248.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

61112432.jpg

38201485.jpg

It's good to see young people shown round these sort of sites to enhance their knowledge and remember and pay respect at these memorials but in the interests of impartial historical teaching did you take the kids round the memorials of republicans killed by loyalists?

Whatever happened to learning history in educational/academic institutions and doing Christianity in churches anyway? unsure.gif

Star_of_Edina

So what is the correlation between the 16th Royal Scots Battalion, which disbanded in 1918, and Ulster Loyalism?

The Ulster Scots connection has existed for hundreds of year, the link with Northern Ireland and Scotland in promoting the Protestant Unionist Loyalist Community has also existed for many years.

Many people are unaware or just choose to ignore the fact that History is taut within the Loyal Orange Lodge, Apprentice Boys or Derry, Royal Black Preceptory, Flute or Accordion Band or Somme Associations.

History plays a large part of the PUL Community because it is no longer taught in our state schools as many try to airbrush history or indeed certain parts of it, in Ulster the focal point of their Military History is the 36th Ulster Division which was raised the same as The 16th Royal Scots, personal i see nothing wrong with honouring such heroes!

There education doesn?t stop there this Band have travelled to many historic sites all over the UK and indeed to the Boyne Site in the Republic of Ireland.

Educating these young lads and lasses into what is right and wrong is as much as a priority as teaching them the Flute or Drum, a prime example would be the famine song why sing it there was as many Protestants died as there was Catholics!

There are many Protestant / Loyalist Songs which get words added to them this again is something that attracts bad publicity education is the only way to eradicate this.

Star_of_Edina

As a few others have said Heart of Midlothian is synonymous with Edinburgh :thumbsup: and anyone can use it as stated there is a Masonic club and a swimming club who use the name. Now there is a flute band who use the name Heart of Midlothian who although claim they are not affiliated to the club do have some members who are Jambos. The problem most decent Hearts fans have is that using the same name of our beloved fitba club means that sadly many people will associate the flute band with HMFC even though it isn't and most Hearts fans are having to already disassociate ourselves with the flute band. :angry:

As a legal local community group i see no reason why they cannot choose the name they desire as it?s already been pointed out the name has nothing to do with Heart of Midlothian Football Club

rossthejambo

The Ulster Scots connection has existed for hundreds of year, the link with Northern Ireland and Scotland in promoting the Protestant Unionist Loyalist Community has also existed for many years.

Many people are unaware or just choose to ignore the fact that History is taut within the Loyal Orange Lodge, Apprentice Boys or Derry, Royal Black Preceptory, Flute or Accordion Band or Somme Associations.

History plays a large part of the PUL Community because it is no longer taught in our state schools as many try to airbrush history or indeed certain parts of it, in Ulster the focal point of their Military History is the 36th Ulster Division which was raised the same as The 16th Royal Scots, personal i see nothing wrong with honouring such heroes!

There education doesn?t stop there this Band have travelled to many historic sites all over the UK and indeed to the Boyne Site in the Republic of Ireland.

Educating these young lads and lasses into what is right and wrong is as much as a priority as teaching them the Flute or Drum, a prime example would be the famine song why sing it there was as many Protestants died as there was Catholics!

There are many Protestant / Loyalist Songs which get words added to them this again is something that attracts bad publicity education is the only way to eradicate this.

What version of history is taught at these associations? :rolleyes:

Star_of_Edina

Every member of a flute band or Orange order I have ever met or known and I've known a lot in my 50 odd years living in Edinburgh sing songs with lyrics which are sectarian, racists and intolerable to decent minded people. I've heard them sing their songs, play their music and hear their views on history which is so one sided that they show their ignorance on many topics. I have even lived next door to memnbers of these organisations. There is nothing wrong with anyone promoting, practicing or celebrating their religion, culture or history but if what these people sing and believe is religion then they can keep it to themselves. So don't anyone try to paint a picture of some cultural, normal organisation which promotes a normal view and teaches a balanced historical picture and if anyone disagrees and tries to point this out - they are the bigots :lol:

I have never known any racist or sectarian loyalist or orange songs it?s the add ones that is placed along with them,

Star_of_Edina

It's good to see young people shown round these sort of sites to enhance their knowledge and remember and pay respect at these memorials but in the interests of impartial historical teaching did you take the kids round the memorials of republicans killed by loyalists?

This is not a Loyalist Memorial!

The three Scottish soldiers' killings was an incident that took place in Northern Ireland during The Troubles. It happened on 9 March 1971, when the Provisional Irish Republican Army (Provisional IRA) ambushed and shot dead three British Army soldiers of the 1st Battalion, Royal Highland Fusiliers. Two of the three were teenage brothers; all three were from Scotland. They were killed off-duty and in civilian clothes having been lured from a city-centre bar in Belfast, Northern Ireland, driven to a remote location and shot whilst relieving themselves by the roadside. Whilst three British soldiers had been killed prior to this event, all three had been on-duty and killed during rioting.

The deaths led to public mourning and protests against the Provisional IRA. Pressure to act precipitated a political crisis for the government of Northern Ireland, which led to the resignation of Northern Ireland Prime Minister James Chichester-Clark. The British Army raised the minimum age needed to serve in Northern Ireland to 18 in response to this incident. In 2010 a memorial was dedicated to the three soldiers near to where they were killed in north Belfast.

Snake Plissken

Nope.

You're going to have to do much better than that. What is the specific link between MacRae's Battalion and Ulster Loyalism?

There were probably many reasons those men volunteered for service in World War One but I can say with a fair degree of certainty that Ulster Loyalism was not one of them. I didn't ask for vague waffle when I posed that question, I asked for a tangible link between a WW1 Battalion and Loyalism. The reason you haven't done this is because there isn't one.

Until you or any of your ilk can provide concrete evidence for this, I will continue to conclude that they've simply hi-jacked it in cynical display of opportunism.

That sounds like you are saying it would be OK to sing it if it had only been Catholics who died. I'm sure that can't be what you meant.

Star_of_Edina

Whatever happened to learning history in educational/academic institutions and doing Christianity in churches anyway? unsure.gif

Schools don?t teach about the Great War, the Covenanters, the Battle of the Boyne or the Siege of Derry, which are just as important to the teaching of history because of their significance in how we are able to have freedom today, as for churches some are very accepting of the PUL Culture and some are not.

Star_of_Edina

What version of history is taught at these associations? :rolleyes:

You can?t teach anything other than the true facts can you?

Snake Plissken

lol-o.gif

You aren't serious are you?

Star_of_Edina

Nope.

You're going to have to do much better than that. What is the specific link between MacRae's Battalion and Ulster Loyalism?

There were probably many reasons those men volunteered for service in World War One but I can say with a fair degree of certainty that Ulster Loyalism was not one of them. I didn't ask for vague waffle when I posed that question, I asked for a tangible link between a WW1 Battalion and Loyalism. The reason you haven't done this is because there isn't one.

Until you or any of your ilk can provide concrete evidence for this, I will continue to conclude that they've simply hi-jacked it in cynical display of opportunism.

You are correct there is no link to Ulster Loyalism, The Band is an Orange / Loyalist Flute Band, the flip side of the Band is there Education Classes to where they learn about History.

The makeup of their Band is simple to explain

The Crimson Flag is in Relation to the Siege of Londonderry

The Orange Standard is in Relation to the Battle of the Boyne

The Ulster Flag is a bond of friendship the Band have with Sandy Row Belfast

The Saltier the Flag of the Home Country

The Heart is the Stones from the Royal Mile encompassed in that is the Flag of the Nation

On the Back is the Royal Scots Badge with McCrae?s 16th Battalion under it, this is in relation to the History of the 16th Battalion and the choice of this Royal Scots Badge is because they have 4 Ex-Service men in the ranks who where in the Royal Scots and one Serving Soldier.

Star_of_Edina

That sounds like you are saying it would be OK to sing it if it had only been Catholics who died. I'm sure that can't be what you meant.

Any kind of disaster is indeed a tragedy regardless of creed colour or religion

Star_of_Edina

lol-o.gif

You aren't serious are you?

Sorry i am lost with that?

Schools don?t teach about the Great War, the Covenanters, the Battle of the Boyne or the Siege of Derry, which are just as important to the teaching of history because of their significance in how we are able to have freedom today, as for churches some are very accepting of the PUL Culture and some are not.

Yeah, all these Catholic countries in Western Europe are brutally oppressed and don't have freedom at all, do they?

They don't teach about the Great War in schools? Unless things have changed radically since I was a pupil, I'm not convinced you're right about that one....

As for churches not being accepting - why is that?

rossthejambo

Well I can only assume that the history that you'd be interested in would be to do with Ulster, and the fact it's a Loyalist organisation would suggest that you'd be teaching this history with a serious Loyalist leaning. That's not necessarily true facts seeing as you'll be dismissing the Republican side of history.

All supposition on my part of course B)

Star_of_Edina

Interesting how this topic has ended up with personal insults to myself i have been nothing but civil to every one of you!

Coloured friends, eh?

70437248.jpg

They kinda look like gollywogs. How very inclusive of you.

Adi Dassler

My tuppenceworth.

First of all, the personal abuse is uneccesary. Star of Edina has done nothing but answer the questions put in front of him. He has not abused anyone and deserves a bit of respect, wether you agree with his opinions or not. Failure to do so only detracts from your own points.

Secondly, my own thoughts on the HoMFB and Loyalism in general.

There is a culture within a section of the Hearts support of Loyalism/Unionism. This is no secret. It has gone on for years and years and started long before my time. My problem is not with people who want to celebrate their culture but what goes on in and around these organisations. I am not calling into question the integrity of the HoMFB as an organisation. That they are teaching these young lads a part of their history is something to be commended i suppose. But how many of these lads are actually Ulster Scots and what else are they being taught by those in and around the organisation?

Both my Grandads were involved in this and my own Dad was to an extent when he was younger but it was never something i grew up with. To me it is a dying thing. Something you might have got involved with in years ago because it was the done thing but you wouldn't now because it's 2001 and the world has moved on a bit.

Snake Plissken

You are correct there is no link to Ulster Loyalism, The Band is an Orange / Loyalist Flute Band, the flip side of the Band is there Education Classes to where they learn about History.

The makeup of their Band is simple to explain

The Crimson Flag is in Relation to the Siege of Londonderry

The Orange Standard is in Relation to the Battle of the Boyne

The Ulster Flag is a bond of friendship the Band have with Sandy Row Belfast

The Saltier the Flag of the Home Country

The Heart is the Stones from the Royal Mile encompassed in that is the Flag of the Nation

On the Back is the Royal Scots Badge with McCrae?s 16th Battalion under it, this is in relation to the History of the 16th Battalion and the choice of this Royal Scots Badge is because they have 4 Ex-Service men in the ranks who where in the Royal Scots and one Serving Soldier.

Thank you.

The bit in italics is irrelevant to the question I asked.

So I am correct to conclude the band is exploiting the memory of a Battalion that has absolutely nothing to do with its 'cause'.

My tuppenceworth.

First of all, the personal abuse is uneccesary. Star of Edina has done nothing but answer the questions put in front of him. He has not abused anyone and deserves a bit of respect, wether you agree with his opinions or not. Failure to do so only detracts from your own points.

Secondly, my own thoughts on the HoMFB and Loyalism in general.

There is a culture within a section of the Hearts support of Loyalism/Unionism. This is no secret. It has gone on for years and years and started long before my time. My problem is not with people who want to celebrate their culture but what goes on in and around these organisations. I am not calling into question the integrity of the HoMFB as an organisation. That they are teaching these young lads a part of their history is something to be commended i suppose. But how many of these lads are actually Ulster Scots and what else are they being taught by those in and around the organisation?

Both my Grandads were involved in this and my own Dad was to an extent when he was younger but it was never something i grew up with. To me it is a dying thing. Something you might have got involved with in years ago because it was the done thing but you wouldn't now because it's 2001 and the world has moved on a bit.

It certainly has...It's moved on 10 years Adi!! :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

Coloured friends,

They kinda look like gollywogs. How very inclusive of you.

golliwogs.th.jpg

It's inspiring, isn't it?

rossthejambo

Well I can only assume that the history that you'd be interested in would be to do with Ulster, and the fact it's a Loyalist organisation would suggest that you'd be teaching this history with a serious Loyalist leaning. That's not necessarily true facts seeing as you'll be dismissing the Republican side of history.

All supposition on my part of course B)

Interesting how this topic has ended up with personal insults to myself i have been nothing but civil to every one of you!

Care to answer my question. TAAAA :thumbsup:

Care to answer my question. TAAAA :thumbsup:

There are many unanswered questions, but I suspect that our friend has left us now, to bemoan the oppression of the Protestant Unionist Loyalist Community. (Please note that this is a very important community, and thus merits capital letters.)

Archived