Never knew we had our own flute band!

Clerry Jambo

It's just crazy to suggest that all people that are in a flute band or in

the orange order are bigots, it's just not true.

huh.gif

You know what groups like the Orange Order are based on, and you know what the word bigot actually means?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an easy connection to make.

And it's not stupid to make said assumption that they are related to us, even though they aren't.

All very embarrassing.

huh.gif

You know what groups like the Orange Order are based on, and you know what the word bigot actually means?

If they were so bad why do they exist, surely they would be banned.

no-country-for-old-men_tommy-lee-jones_josh-brolin_javier-bardem_9.jpg

Why would the authorities want to ban an organisation that (once) would've jumped to their beck and call?

Religion when expressed in those ways is a very good tool to divide and conquer the working class, thus keeping them, the working class, in economic bondage.

And it's not stupid to make said assumption that they are related to us, even though they aren't.

All very embarrassing.

I've heard them, TBH, I have heard a Few Flute Bands,I don't believe or like what they stand for but some of them are really quite good :unsure:

Not, however Heart of Midlothian :lol: Bless them!!

Vlad-Stupid

All very embarrassing.

Correct. Bloody swimming clubverymad.gif

It would be embarrassing if it had anything to do with HoM FC but it doesn't so it isn't.

100 people on the march (more like a waddle in some cases). Wow. Our secret shame exposed again.

Cut The Crap

Flute bands always make me laugh.

I think it's probably the get-up. And the earnestness.

laugh.gif

Yeah, it's rather pathetic and I can see why people are making links. I was saying that there's not much we can do about it, so we've just got to take it from Hibs fans when it comes to this kind of thing.

Whilst these people aren't related to HMFC, it's still a chance for fans of other clubs to throw the loyalist tag at us. We've been saying it's a minority for how long now? It's something we need to shake off, because it might be a small number of fans but I think we've not done enough to stamp it out.

Whatever people's views are on this kind of thing doesn't matter to me, people just have to accept that this kind of thing isn't going to be accepted in modern society and they should leave it at the gate when they come to watch us play. It looks like UEFA will be cracking down on anything sectarian, and for a club of our size there will be no place to hide so we've got to crush it before it hurts us.

And these will be some of the people (I'd imagine) who spend a lot of time muttering about the tartan army and how 'embarrassing' they are with their 'silly outfits' and 'stupid songs'. Righto. :laugh:

There's a reason this sort of crap dies out and has to be resurrected every once in a while. They'll figure that one out eventually.

Why would the authorities want to ban an organisation that (once) would've jumped to their beck and call?

Religion when expressed in those ways is a very good tool to divide and conquer the working class, thus keeping them, the working class, in economic bondage.

Don't disagree with any of that Boris, but that's not the reason they've not been banned.

We live in a democracy, not North Korea, you can't just have something banned because you disagree with the views of a group of people. As much as someone might hate those views, they can't just have a group shut down. To close down a group you would have to see illegal activity, and even then you'd be hard pressed to actually prove that it was the actions of that group and not just certain individuals. It's very hard to link something to a group and get it banned. Look at groups like the EDL or right-wing Islamists like Muslims Against Crusades/Islam4UK, it's near impossible to actually close these groups down. I personally would love to see all of them closed down as they only perpetuate hate and myths.

You can level the same kind of thing at the Orange Order over their marches and what they believe, their glorification of The Battle of the Boyne in particular. You might find it distasteful and it should have no place in modern society, but it's not illegal and therefore shouldn't be banned.

And these will be some of the people (I'd imagine) who spend a lot of time muttering about the tartan army and how 'embarrassing' they are with their 'silly outfits' and 'stupid songs'. Righto. :laugh:

There's a reason this sort of crap dies out and has to be resurrected every once in a while. They'll figure that one out eventually.

I hope you're right. thumbsup.gif

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

You're like a more eloquent maroonlegions.

Don't disagree with any of that Boris, but that's not the reason they've not been banned.

We live in a democracy, not North Korea, you can't just have something banned because you disagree with the views of a group of people. As much as someone might hate those views, they can't just have a group shut down. To close down a group you would have to see illegal activity, and even then you'd be hard pressed to actually prove that it was the actions of that group and not just certain individuals. It's very hard to link something to a group and get it banned. Look at groups like the EDL or right-wing Islamists like Muslims Against Crusades/Islam4UK, it's near impossible to actually close these groups down. I personally would love to see all of them closed down as they only perpetuate hate and myths.

You can level the same kind of thing at the Orange Order over their marches and what they believe, their glorification of The Battle of the Boyne in particular. You might find it distasteful and it should have no place in modern society, but it's not illegal and therefore shouldn't be banned.

You are, of course, correct.

I suppose I was meaning that in some instances these types of organisations are tacitly encouraged by the powers that be i.e. it suits their political goals.

Buffalo Bill

Perhaps no official affiliation but other people will affiliate it with the club anyway BB. Understandable assumption given their colours, name and choice of location for their march.

Other people will redm, but they would be wrong, and would almost certainly have an agenda against HMFC anyway.

Which then begs the questions: who are these 'other' people who judge us?

And why do we need to assure them of our affiliations?

Some cringeworthy comments on here.

Being a Loyalist doesn't make you a bigot, just like being a Republican doesn't make you a bigot either.

You are, of course, correct.

I suppose I was meaning that in some instances these types of organisations are tacitly encouraged by the powers that be i.e. it suits their political goals.

As usual. :verysmug:

It's a chore, Boris, honestly it is...

But yeah, I totally agree with your point. You need only look at the increased number of faith schools in the last decade or so to prove that beyond any doubt.

Governments play on religious fears and prejudices. If they can label you in one box it makes the political game so much easier. That way everyone can be confined to a certain space, all the politicians need to do is say something to appease that group, be it the Muslims, Protestants etc. to try and win their block vote. Simple labels for simple people, that's what makes for easy politics.

I'm totally indifferent to the flute band issue tbh. Its not to my taste or liking, but willing to live and let live with regards to that.

However - the above comment made me laugh - toooooo true!!! Probably also the some of the same folk who paraded about outside Buckingham Palace waiting for a glimpse of Wills and Kate whilst dressed in fancy dress and waving their wee flags. Bless.

piltonjambo

huh.gif

Well according to them it's ...

The Orange order is the oldest and biggest Protestant fraternity in Scotland. We are an organisation of people bonded together to promote the great ideals of Protestantism and Liberty.

Now in our third century, we were an established part of Scottish life and culture long before the formation of so many other organisations, like the Labour Party or the SNP.The Order's belief system is Christian, Protestant, patriotic and fraternal.

These principles are set out formally in The Qualifications of an Orangeman, an impressive list of good intentions and high ideals. The purpose of the Orange Order can be summarised as:

To Maintain intact the Protestant Constitution and Christian heritage of the United Kingdom.

To cultivate Christian character, promote brotherly love and fellowship.

To expose and resist by all lawful means every system opposed to the mental, political and spiritual freedom of the individual.

The Protestant ethic is one of tolerance of other faiths and ideals. It is this tolerance and liberty that the Orange Order promotes and defends.

:whistling:

The Orange order is the oldest and biggest Protestant fraternity in Scotland. We are an organisation of people bonded together to promote the great ideals of Protestantism and Liberty.

Now in our third century, we were an established part of Scottish life and culture long before the formation of so many other organisations, like the Labour Party or the SNP.[/size]The Order's belief system is Christian, Protestant, patriotic and fraternal.

These principles are set out formally in The Qualifications of an Orangeman, an impressive list of good intentions and high ideals. The purpose of the Orange Order can be summarised as:

To Maintain intact the Protestant Constitution and Christian heritage of the United Kingdom.

To expose and resist by all lawful means every system opposed to the mental, political and spiritual freedom of the individual.

The Protestant ethic is one of tolerance of other faiths and ideals. It is this tolerance and liberty that the Orange Order promotes and defends.

Enough reason for me to dislike them, regardless of their more questionable views. thumbsup.gif

Fourcandles

As usual. :verysmug:

It's a chore, Boris, honestly it is...

But yeah, I totally agree with your point. You need only look at the increased number of faith schools in the last decade or so to prove that beyond any doubt.

Governments play on religious fears and prejudices. If they can label you in one box it makes the political game so much easier. That way everyone can be confined to a certain space, all the politicians need to do is say something to appease that group, be it the Muslims, Protestants etc. to try and win their block vote. Simple labels for simple people, that's what makes for easy politics.

Oh how right you are.

Pointing it out though is a thankless task , both the Politicians and the Clergy (be it the Cardinanls, the Mullahs or Priests) will refuse to recognise this as it would threaten their control. It reminds me of the opening paragraph of a Sam Harris piece.

"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious. Unfortunately, we live in a world in which the obvious is overlooked as a matter of principle. The obvious must be observed and re-observed and argued for. This is a thankless job. It carries with it an aura of petulance and insensitivity. It is, moreover, a job that the atheist does not want."

:mellow:

Anyone wanna take bets on when this thread will be locked? HANS?

Cut The Crap

Now in our third century, we were an established part of Scottish life and culture long before the formation of so many other organisations, like the Labour Party or the SNP.[/size]The Order's belief system is Christian, Protestant, patriotic and fraternal.

:rofl:

Enough reason for me to dislike them, regardless of their more questionable views. thumbsup.gif

Spot on LP.

scott_jambo

It a 'Heart of Midlothian' flute band, not a 'Heart of Midlothian FC' flute band.

I'm not connected to flute bands myself or into it in any way but the term 'Heart of Midlothian' isn't exclusive to us. In fact, there were examples of 'Heart of Midlothian' before the football clubs was formed - the prison, the cobble stones, the book and the dance hall.

I've seen the word 'Hibernian' or 'Hibernians' on the drums of marching bands too. Nothing to do with Scotland's 10th ranked club either.

The Video's I have seen in the gym hall (or wherever they are) they have Heart of Midlothian F.C. banners round the sides of the hall (in gorgie, btw) and union jacks with HMFC.

We already know that a couple of kickbackers are members of it and a no doubt there will be numerous people from the Gorgie Loyal website part of it.

While I can't prove anything my personal opinion is that they didn't name their flute band after a Walter Scott novel, much more likely that the sectarian element of our support decided to start a wee band.

I'm not disregarding your view as head in the sand stuff, but from a more objective point of view, most of the above can't really be disputed.

Oh how right you are.

Pointing it out though is a thankless task , both the Politicians and the Clergy (be it the Cardinanls, the Mullahs or Priests) will refuse to recognise this as it would threaten their control. It reminds me of the opening paragraph of a Sam Harris piece.

"Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious. Unfortunately, we live in a world in which the obvious is overlooked as a matter of principle. The obvious must be observed and re-observed and argued for. This is a thankless job. It carries with it an aura of petulance and insensitivity. It is, moreover, a job that the atheist does not want."

:mellow:

Very true, although I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy discussing it. teehee.gif

The Video's I have seen in the gym hall (or wherever they are) they have Heart of Midlothian F.C. banners round the sides of the hall (in gorgie, btw) and union jacks with HMFC.

We already know that a couple of kickbackers are members of it and a no doubt there will be numerous people from the Gorgie Loyal website part of it.

While I can't prove anything my personal opinion is that they didn't name their flute band after a Walter Scott novel, much more likely that the sectarian element of our support decided to start a wee band.

Just thought i'd mention that the H.M.F.B. has been on the go since the 1980s so why all the shock now?

scott_jambo

Just thought i'd mention that the H.M.F.B. has been on the go since the 1980s so why all the shock now?

Couldn't give a **** mate.

Couldn't give a **** mate.

Nor i,just wondered why the furore when the flute bands been about for so long that's all?

scott_jambo

Nor i,just wondered why the furore when the flute bands been about for so long that's all?

Prob due to the emergence and popularity of youtube vid's meaning a wider audience can see what their up to under "our name" or not as some/they argue.

syndicalist

I wonder how many hobos are members of the ancient order of Hibernians. Of course a more relevant comparison would be the Rising Phoenix Republican flute band. Formed in Leith in the 80'S, by Hibs Supporters, they opennly supported the IRA and other repubican paramilitary groups. They were invited to play on the Easter march in London Derry one year, and reportedly embarrassed themselves by dropping their instruments and running when a bomb went off in the Derry walls about a hundred yards away.

Not sure what relevance any of this has, other than to emphasise that football clubs have supporters who take part in all sorts of activities and have all sorts of political, moral and religious views. Why anyone would find that unusual or indeed embarrassing is a mystery to me.

I reckon the band should be invited to the top of the Roseburn next time Celtic visit. turned.gif

I reckon the band should be invited to the top of the Roseburn next time Celtic visit. turned.gif

And that'll be the end of this thread :rolleyes:

Buffalo Bill

I'm not disregarding your view as head in the sand stuff, but from a more objective point of view, most of the above can't really be disputed.

Scott, whether or not they are Hearts fans is a complete irrelevance to me.

My points were:

That Heart of Midlothian FC is not affiliated with the Heart of Midlothian Flute Band - even though the thread title claims so.

The term 'Heart of Midlothian' is not exclusive to HMFC, and people and organisations have a right to use it.

It a 'Heart of Midlothian' flute band, not a 'Heart of Midlothian FC' flute band.

I'm not connected to flute bands myself or into it in any way but the term 'Heart of Midlothian' isn't exclusive to us. In fact, there were examples of 'Heart of Midlothian' before the football clubs was formed - the prison, the cobble stones, the book and the dance hall.

I've seen the word 'Hibernian' or 'Hibernians' on the drums of marching bands too. Nothing to do with Scotland's 10th ranked club either.

SPOT ON that man!

Absolutely right.

Scott, whether or not they are Hearts fans is a complete irrelevance to me.

My points were:

That Heart of Midlothian FC is not affiliated with the Heart of Midlothian Flute Band - even though the thread title claims so.

The term 'Heart of Midlothian' is not exclusive to HMFC, and people and organisations have a right to use it.

Nobody has any right to judge us and generally speaking I don't really care what other people say unless Hearts fans have done something which unfortunately makes it easier for other people to speak ill of our club's good name. It's just frustrating. We don't need loyalist connections (nor do most of the support want them) and while I know you're being entirely genuine about your thoughts on the matter it just drives me batty that some people will insist on being purposefully disingenuous about the obvious assumptions that other people will make...and the reasons behind the flute players naming their daft band in this way. They did it because of their Hearts FC connections. You know it and I know it. That's the bit I don't like, I guess.

And while the name 'Heart of Midlothian' isn't technically exclusive to us....it also kind of IS exclusive to us everywhere other than in literary circles. It's the first thing people think of when they hear the name. We don't have exclusive rights over it but sometimes I really bloody wish we did. :)

Knew this for years and there`s a Heart of Midlothian masonic club too(or there was when i last heard years ago). Doesn`t mean its anything to do with the club, they just use the same name.

I love the music presented by a Fife and Drum band. Marched behind one of the best British Army bands many many times. The military music certainly gets you going. I have watched some of the Orange walks, and parades in Ireland, what I don't understand and this includes the subject band why they pay so little attention to deportment, and the wearing of their uniforms. The bent backs slumped shoulders etc. really take away from the sometimes high quality of the music.

With regard to the use of the name, I totally agree that it is non copyright and therefore open to all. We have an interesting situation with team names at the moment. The Vancouver Canucks are in the Cup Final. A local car dealership created a display in their window with Come on Canucks and a copy of the Canucks logo, they were instantly told to take it down as it is the property of the NHL. During the Olympics numerous businesses were told to not use a name with Olympics in it, in fact some long established businesses were told to take the name down, this would lead me to believe that Heart of Midlothian can be used for whatever reason by anyone.

The Gasman

I wonder how many hobos are members of the ancient order of Hibernians. Of course a more relevant comparison would be the Rising Phoenix Republican flute band. Formed in Leith in the 80'S, by Hibs Supporters, they opennly supported the IRA and other repubican paramilitary groups. They were invited to play on the Easter march in London Derry one year, and reportedly embarrassed themselves by dropping their instruments and running when a bomb went off in the Derry walls about a hundred yards away.

Not sure what relevance any of this has, other than to emphasise that football clubs have supporters who take part in all sorts of activities and have all sorts of political, moral and religious views. Why anyone would find that unusual or indeed embarrassing is a mystery to me.

Well said. :bravo:

Dunk-Section G

Knew this for years and there`s a Heart of Midlothian masonic club too(or there was when i last heard years ago). Doesn`t mean its anything to do with the club, they just use the same name.

Indeed. Although this has nothing to do with the club and was formed prior to the foundation of HMFC. Many members are even Hibees!

Buffalo Bill

Nobody has any right to judge us and generally speaking I don't really care what other people say unless Hearts fans have done something which unfortunately makes it easier for other people to speak ill of our club's good name. It's just frustrating. We don't need loyalist connections (nor do most of the support want them) and while I know you're being entirely genuine about your thoughts on the matter it just drives me batty that some people will insist on being purposefully disingenuous about the obvious assumptions that other people will make...and the reasons behind the flute players naming their daft band in this way. They did it because of their Hearts FC connections. You know it and I know it. That's the bit I don't like, I guess.

And while the name 'Heart of Midlothian' isn't technically exclusive to us....it also kind of IS exclusive to us everywhere other than in literary circles. It's the first thing people think of when they hear the name. We don't have exclusive rights over it but sometimes I really bloody wish we did. :)

To just confirm redm, I have absolutely no interest in flute bands or religious organisations of any kind.

I could be arguing the same point about any organisation or symbolism here; it just happens to be incorrectly charged to HMFC.

In this case, I am not denying the probability/possibility of the footballing allegiances of the flute band.

I am only stating that their organisation isn't in any way affiliated to HMFC. They'd probably say that themselves.

Therefore, I am not ashamed by this at all.

As for who judges us, I am always up for defending my club from rival, often jealous fans of other teams.

But I wouldn't defend the flute band, or the book by Walter Scott, or even the HoM Swimming club because they are nothing to do with HMFC.

The morality of marching bands is one thing: but their legality is another.

Personally, they don't bother or interest me at all.

I heard them going along Gorgie Rd on Saturday morning. I wondered WTF was going on...

Ray Winstone

To just confirm redm, I have absolutely no interest in flute bands or religious organisations of any kind.

I could be arguing the same point about any organisation or symbolism here; it just happens to be incorrectly charged to HMFC.

In this case, I am not denying the probability/possibility of the footballing allegiances of the flute band.

I am only stating that their organisation isn't in any way affiliated to HMFC. They'd probably say that themselves.

Therefore, I am not ashamed by this at all.

As for who judges us, I am always up for defending my club from rival, often jealous fans of other teams.

But I wouldn't defend the flute band, or the book by Walter Scott, or even the HoM Swimming club because they are nothing to do with HMFC.

The morality of marching bands is one thing: but their legality is another.

Personally, they don't bother or interest me at all.

In the current 'climate' surrounding Scottish football, having a flute band called 'Heart of Midlothian Flute Band' will only have people drawing to the conclusion that this is affiliated/set up by supporters of our club, whether that be right or wrong.

Nobody has any right to judge us

Nor do you have the right to label these people as 'bigots', 'pathetic' or 'embarrassing'.

It's a sad indication of Scottish society that you can't display any sort of political/religious stance without being called every name under the sun.

super_vlad

In the current 'climate' surrounding Scottish football, having a flute band called 'Heart of Midlothian Flute Band' will only have people drawing to the conclusion that this is affiliated/set up by supporters of our club, whether that be right or wrong.

As people have said, there is nothing we or HMFC can do about this. Its best just to blank them.

My only ever experience of these marches was about 4-5 years ago when there was a massive march thru the meadows. A bigger bunch of scum i've never seen, most wearing rangers tops and drinking buckfast while giving the v's to everyone around that questions wtf was going on!

As others have already said, who gives a feck what vermin over at mysisterismymother.net think of us or say?

Archived