Kevin Thomson's Dive (merged threads)

colinmaroon

Of course it was a dive, but why single Thomson out for punishment when there's been lots of similar incidents involving players from all SPL clubs this season? Either they take a hard line and retrospectively discipline all guilty players on a Monday morning following a game or they leave it up to the refs to try and spot it in the game.

We seem to be obsessed with every single thing about the OF these days for some reason.

Don't want Thomson singled out, imo EVERY player who has been shown to have dived or cheated after the Scotland Lithuania game should have been taken to task after Mr Smiths outrage at Miko's dive, after all he wanted Scotland 'to lead the campaign'.

It's not happened so far, so is Mr Smith now saying that diving and cheating is not a 'blight' on our game?

If Mr Smith is serious, he should start the campaign NOW.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kennygarland1
Don't want Thomson singled out, imo EVERY player who has been shown to have dived or cheated after the Scotland Lithuania game should have been taken to task after Mr Smiths outrage at Miko's dive, after all he wanted Scotland 'to lead the campaign'.

It's not happened so far, so is Mr Smith now saying that diving and cheating is not a 'blight' on our game?

If Mr Smith is serious, he should start the campaign NOW.

How can he say it with a straight face when in his playing days he was as bad as anyone out there today.

RockyBalboa
Because he did it against the national side. Of course that's going to unite fans of clubs and the media against him. It wasn't because he was a Jambo or a Lithuanian.

Exactly. Any other player does it against Scotland it would be the same.

Happened with Ronaldo at Utd after the WC.

Thomson's action was worse that Miko's. He clearly dived AND kicked an opposing player. The SFA do not have the courage of their convictions - they will do nothing. In doing nothing in such a clear and televised incident they are setting a precedent that will negate them from taking any future action against any player who cheats by diving. All the cheats need to do is ask for this evidence as the sample for the set standard of allowable unpunished cheating.

Thomson's action was worse that Miko's. He clearly dived AND kicked an opposing player. The SFA do not have the courage of their convictions - they will do nothing. In doing nothing in such a clear and televised incident they are setting a precedent that will negate them from taking any future action against any player who cheats by diving. All the cheats need to do is ask for this evidence as the sample for the set standard of allowable unpunished cheating.

The credibility of the SFA and Gordon Smith are at risk here. The SFA rules have for several years allowed the use of video evidence after the event to investigate and punish incidents which the officials did not witness or act upon. This year Smith chose, probably in the aftermath of the Miko incident, to go in heavily on simulation and sought to introduce an amendment to FIFA's rules to make the use of video evidence universal. FIFA rejected this suggestion on the grounds they did not wish to compromise the authority of the referee. Given the fuss kicked up by Smith both nationally and internationally he will rightly be ridiculed if he does nothing about this incident.

Someone asked why Thomson should be singled out when there have been other instances of simulation and this is a valid question. In my view Thomson's actions are different in that the player initiated the simulation rather than react to a challenge and this makes this incident unique, at least as far as my memory of this season is concerned. The evidence is also unusually conclusive even when compared with the Broadfoot simulation in the same game.

Footballfirst

You can also add Yakubu's dive to try and get a penalty against Liverpool to this weekend's list of shame.

Francis Albert
It wasn't because he was a Jambo or a Lithuanian.

I don't know. Do you really think the reaction would have been quite so hysterical if he wasn't a Hearts player? (He was kind of bound to be a Lithuanian, wasn't he?) Has no Scotland opponent ever dived before?

Clarkserino

Hope the divin little sh*t has done his cruciate again.

Wouldnt usually wish injury on anybody, however he meets the exemption criteria;

Cheat

Diver

Hobo

Hun

4 out of 4!!!

The irony being that I havent come across an article about this today, nor have I seen a witch hunt. Scottish laddies dont dive, my arse!

RockyBalboa
I don't know. Do you really think the reaction would have been quite so hysterical if he wasn't a Hearts player? (He was kind of bound to be a Lithuanian, wasn't he?) Has no Scotland opponent ever dived before?

Paranoia.

If it was any player playing in Scotland that dived against Scotland it would be exactly the same. Nobody cares it was because he plays for Hearts. People care that a player cheated against Scotland. If he didnt play for Hearts and played for Hibs for instance you wouldnt be sticking up for him and going mental too.

Francis Albert
Paranoia.

If it was any player playing in Scotland that dived against Scotland it would be exactly the same. Nobody cares it was because he plays for Hearts. People care that a player cheated against Scotland. If he didnt play for Hearts and played for Hibs for instance you wouldnt be sticking up for him and going mental too.

OK so name another player who has dived agaiinst Scotland and has received similar treatment. Just one.

Hope the divin little sh*t has done his cruciate again.

The irony being that I havent come across an article about this today, nor have I seen a witch hunt. Scottish laddies dont dive, my arse!

His X-ray revealed only soft tissue damage. I think that means he has a bruise.

RockyBalboa
OK so name another player who has dived agaiinst Scotland and has received similar treatment. Just one.

Name a player playing in Scotland that dived against scotland. Just one.

Of course it would have been.

Francis Albert
If he didnt play for Hearts and played for Hibs for instance you wouldnt be sticking up for him and going mental too.

What is your basis for that accusation? I am much more an Edinvurgh than a Scotland man so if you can come up with an equivalent example of vilification of a Hibs player I'll happily answer.

Paranoia.

I must have missed the SFA-led witch-hunt on Shevchenko when he dived for a penalty against us in Kiev during the last Euro Championship qualifying campaign.

I didn't miss the witch-hunt against Miko though.

Francis Albert

Sorry I missed the "playing in Scotland" bit. But does that make the unique vilification of Miko OK?

Well Rangers would at least show an interest and make it public to upset the player - but they haven't.

Who's to say he is worth more than Thommo? When he went to Rangers there was interest from down South too. Nobody has shown an interest in Kingston at this stage.

you do realize how ridiculous that logic is dont you?

in that case, Ronaldo, Kaka, Messi etc arenet good enough to play for Rangers

It shouldn't matter an Ertha if the player played in Scotland or not.

A dive is a dive irrespective of what league you play in.

Are you really saying that it was OK for Shevchenko to cheat against us and win a penalty because he doesn't play in Scotland ?

You say I'm off my heid then say Thomson wouldnt get a game for a bottom six side? :confused:

:cool:

Have to agree with you on that point Rocky.

I thought that at one time he used to play for one

Drylaw Hearts

Gordon Waddle in todays Sunday Mail's 'Player Ratings' awards KT with an 8 and goes on to comment that "the jury is still out on where blame for his injury lies".

:rolleyes:

Spineless statement.

RockyBalboa
It shouldn't matter an Ertha if the player played in Scotland or not.

A dive is a dive irrespective of what league you play in.

Are you really saying that it was OK for Shevchenko to cheat against us and win a penalty because he doesn't play in Scotland ?

Not at all. The Shevchenko thing was in the papers for a couple of days but because he doesnt play in scotland its pretty hard for the Scottish media/fans to set up a witch hunt against him. What are we supposed to do? Go watch English Prem match and boo the lad?

RockyBalboa
Gordon Waddle in todays Sunday Mail's 'Player Ratings' awards KT with an 8 and goes on to comment that "the jury is still out on where blame for his injury lies".

:rolleyes:

Spineless statement.

Waddels a complete **** stain. Falkirk fan my arse.

Exactly. Any other player does it against Scotland it would be the same.

Happened with Ronaldo at Utd after the WC.

With Ronaldo it was through the media and fans not the Chief executive of the FA - that is the big difference.

Smith came in talking about making a difference and retrospectivly dealing with cheating - so far he has attacked ONE person and the result was a 2 game ban - this set a precedent by UEFA - one that would allow the SFA/SPL to follow since smith was the man with the plan

So far we have seen ample opertunity for this to happen but silence from Smith has been deafening and the continued victimisation of MIko since i.e. decisions against him at Aberdeen.

If smith is serious about dealing with cheating he must show the same venom towards our domestic game as he showed to international football, however this wont happen as the majority of cases will be against Rangers or Celtic and he lacks balls. Smith should either get on with it or get to ****

RockyBalboa
you do realize how ridiculous that logic is dont you?

in that case, Ronaldo, Kaka, Messi etc arenet good enough to play for Rangers

They players don't play in Scotland.

Any players in Scotland that are good enough for the OF are linked or approached by the OF at some time or another. If Kingston could get a game for Rangers then Rangers would surely be after him no?

RockyBalboa
With Ronaldo it was through the media and fans not the Chief executive of the FA - that is the big difference.

Smith came in talking about making a difference and retrospectivly dealing with cheating - so far he has attacked ONE person and the result was a 2 game ban - this set a precedent by UEFA - one that would allow the SFA/SPL to follow since smith was the man with the plan

So far we have seen ample opertunity for this to happen but silence from Smith has been deafening and the continued victimisation of MIko since i.e. decisions against him at Aberdeen.

If smith is serious about dealing with cheating he must show the same venom towards our domestic game as he showed to international football, however this wont happen as the majority of cases will be against Rangers or Celtic and he lacks balls. Smith should either get on with it or get to ****

Was nothing to do with Smith your player got a 2 game ban. Suppose Uefa have a grudge against Hearts and Lithuania too?

I see your point though, but because of the team he plays fot there is no way Smith will set a precedent against Thomson. Maybe a player who plays for a smaller side will be done first for cheating.

As for Miko, its the classic case of the player who cried wolf. If he cheats sometimes then he wont get most 50/50s same happens with our wee cheating arse Zemmama. Serves them right and until they stop trying to mug teams/refs hell mend them.

Dirk Diggler

Any players in Scotland that are good enough for the OF are linked or approached by the OF at some time or another. If Kingston could get a game for Rangers then Rangers would surely be after him no?

Apart from, It would seem, Skacel, Gordon or going further back Robbo or Colquhoun?

It seems your clubs policy of whoring itself to the OF has somewhat confused you Rocky lad.

no.

you should really just stop digging.

Gigolo-Aunt
Apart from, It would seem, Skacel, Gordon or going further back Robbo or Colquhoun?

It seems your clubs policy of whoring itself to the OF has somewhat confused you Rocky lad.

Game set and match, JF.

RockyBalboa

Hardly whoring when players want to leave to join the OF.

Gordons the exception, Skacel has had 6 months in his whole career and not worth ?2mill you will agree. JC wasn't good enough for Celtic when he joined Hearts and Rangers had Ally McCoist instead of Robbo.

If Hearts players are good enough for the OF Then they will go to them if the OF want them. If Kingston could get in the Rangers side why would he be contempt at Hearts and why hasn't any team tried to buy him yet? The best midfielder you have had in many a season has went to Celtic and the other player most people said would walk into the OF has been punted out on loan from a struggling Championship side.

Gordons the exception, Skacel has had 6 months in his whole career and not worth ?2mill you will agree. JC wasn't good enough for Celtic when he joined Hearts and Rangers had Ally McCoist instead of Robbo.

If Hearts players are good enough for the OF Then they will go to them if the OF want them. If Kingston could get in the Rangers side why would he be contempt at Hearts and why hasn't any team tried to buy him yet? The best midfielder you have had in many a season has went to Celtic and the other player most people said would walk into the OF has been punted out on loan from a struggling Championship side.

Im sure Rangers tried to sign Stephane Adam once and he knocked them back?

RockyBalboa
Im sure Rangers tried to sign Stephane Adam once and he knocked them back?

Cant remember that but if it's true fair enough.

If you have to dig back to Adam then it proves my point anyway. If players in Scotland are good enough for Rangers or Celtic then they will come in for the players. If Kingston could get in the Rangers side Rangers would want him. Not saying he would definately go but they would still try to sign/unsettle the player. I personally dont think he would get in the Rangers midfield.

Gigolo-Aunt
Cant remember that but if it's true fair enough.

If you have to dig back to Adam then it proves my point anyway. If players in Scotland are good enough for Rangers or Celtic then they will come in for the players. If Kingston could get in the Rangers side Rangers would want him. Not saying he would definately go but they would still try to sign/unsettle the player. I personally dont think he would get in the Rangers midfield.

Rangers were in for Adam, he got a bumper new contract out of it.

ps

Charlie Adam gets a game for Rangers in midfield quite a lot.

That's nonsense.

What evidence do you base that on?

Just because your team routinely sells any player it can to the Old Firm does not mean that we do. I think we can all see agree that Hartley was an exception but the last player before him that we sold to the old firm was probably Neil McCann and that was obviously way before Vlad.

RockyBalboa
That's nonsense.

What evidence do you base that on?

Just because your team routinely sells any player it can to the Old Firm does not mean that we do. I think we can all see agree that Hartley was an exception but the last player before him that we sold to the old firm was probably Neil McCann and that was obviously way before Vlad.

Base it on law of the jungle. A bigger club wants a player who would get in there team they would go. Gordon, Hartely and Webster are the 3 recent players who have been good enough to get into the Rangers or Celtics side, 2 of the 3 have left. If you can name a few other Hearts players in the last while that are good enough to get into the OF sides then feel free.

RockyBalboa
Rangers were in for Adam, he got a bumper new contract out of it.

ps

Charlie Adam gets a game for Rangers in midfield quite a lot.

Charlie Adam is used as a sub mainly and would get into the Hearts side and probably every other side outside the OF.

Base it on law of the jungle. A bigger club wants a player who would get in there team they would go. Gordon, Hartely and Webster are the 3 recent players who have been good enough to get into the Rangers or Celtics side, 2 of the 3 have left. If you can name a few other Hearts players in the last while that are good enough to get into the OF sides then feel free.

We finished above Rangers in the league - surely most of that particular team would have gotten a game for them considering that we beat them over a season and won more trophies than them.

Come on Rocky, you usually talk at least some sense.

RockyBalboa
We finished above Rangers in the league - surely most of that particular team would have gotten a game for them considering that we beat them over a season and won more trophies than them.

Come on Rocky, you usually talk at least some sense.

Yes. Hartley, Gordon, Webster and Pressley would have all gotten in the Rangers side. 3 left to join there rivals.

Many things happen that sides with better players sometimes finish below sides that haven't ie I think Hearts have better players than Falkirk but like Rangers that season the management was gash.

Yes. Hartley, Gordon, Webster and Pressley would have all gotten in the Rangers side. 3 left to join there rivals.

Many things happen that sides with better players sometimes finish below sides that haven't ie I think Hearts have better players than Falkirk but like Rangers that season the management was gash.

But we didn't sell 2 of them them, did we????

Do yourself a favour mate and give it up.

Charlie-Brown

Pressley was also good enough to get a contract & games for Celtic despite his limited remaining playing career.

Kingston is better than Hartley....

RockyBalboa
But we didn't sell 2 of them them, did we????

Do yourself a favour mate and give it up.

I didnt say you sold them. The argument was if they are good enough for the OF the OF usually show interest. The 2 you didnt sell the OF showed interest in.

Charlie-Brown

Only once did Thomson, Brown, Riordan, Whittaker, Caldwell, Killen etc finish above Hearts in the SPL - they also lost more derby games than they won including 02/04/06. :)

RockyBalboa
Kingston is better than Hartley....

Agreed. Hartley doesn't get a game for Celtic in a lot of matches these days though.

Gigolo-Aunt
Charlie Adam is used as a sub mainly and would get into the Hearts side and probably every other side outside the OF.

My point was (IMO) Kingston is a better player than Adam.

Adam whilst not an automatic starter has played many games for Rangers in the last 18 months. Also played a lot in Europe.

RockyBalboa
Only once did Thomson, Brown, Riordan, Whittaker, Caldwell, Killen etc finish above Hearts in the SPL - they also lost more derby games than they won including 02/04/06. :)

Whats that got to do with Kingston getting in the Rangers side?

I didnt say you sold them. The argument was if they are good enough for the OF the OF usually show interest. The 2 you didnt sell the OF showed interest in.

You said

"If Hearts players are good enough for the OF Then they will go to them if the OF want them" - no mention of "showing interest" as you put it,

and remarked about Kingston.

Kingston is under contact so how else are Rangers going to sign him if they don't buy them? If players are out of contact or released, they are no longer Hearts players.

RockyBalboa
My point was (IMO) Kingston is a better player than Adam.

Adam whilst not an automatic starter has played many games for Rangers in the last 18 months. Also played a lot in Europe.

Adam is there and does his job when required. In your opinion Kingston is better too.

Charlie-Brown

Rangers can't afford to buy Hearts players so they find ways to twist them out of their contracts - the last player they bought from us Neil McCann had a release clause in his contract - Webster & Ritchie they stole via agents machinations after Hearts rejected their bids.

RockyBalboa
You said

"If Hearts players are good enough for the OF Then they will go to them if the OF want them" - no mention of "showing interest" as you put it,

and remarked about Kingston.

Kingston is under contact so how else are Rangers going to sign him if they don't buy them? If players are out of contact or released, they are no longer Hearts players.

Ok. Did Pressley and Webster not go to the OF? As did Hartley. So that would be 3 out the 4.

Kingston is under contract yes, so if he is good enough to get in the Rangers side ahead of Thomson, Rangers would surely attempt to take him to Rangers, if they get him is a different story though.

Archived