Old Firm Sectarian Nonsense

rossmaroon

southside1874

Is that your stance on racism as well? :ninja:

I don't really have a stance on racism. I know I'm not racist but I think you get racists in all creeds and as I've grown up a bit I've learned that anything I say doesn't really matter one jot to them :thumbsup:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colinmaroon

Please go out more and get a life

To be expected, I suppose!

Ross has got more of a life than any Ostrich, no matter what rank they give themselves!

head-in-sand.jpg

Riddley Walker

I don't really have a stance on racism. I know I'm not racist but I think you get racists in all creeds and as I've grown up a bit I've learned that anything I say doesn't really matter one jot to them :thumbsup:

I'm kind of struggling to see your argument in this thread. You seem to be condoning sectarian singing, does that mean you're like that in 'real life' as well?

Do you see why it would be wrong calling a catholic a 'fenian prick' to their face rather than saying that you don't agree with their practices?

southside1874

I don't know why I'm bothering but no you're not allowed to dislike someone purely because of the religion they practice, that's bigotry.

Having an issue with the practices and beliefs of a religion is not bigotry.

I typed this very slow so you might have a chance to understand it.

I thought bigotry was more to do with you thinking your beliefs are correct and refusing to even consider some other beliefs. And it doesn't have to be religious either. :thumbsup:

I think I get it now though. I'm allowed to dislike someone but if it gets heated then I'm not allowed to say anything about any differences :whistling:

colinmaroon

The glass houses comment is well founded. At killie last week we were up to our knees in fenian blood! Apparently!

Opposition fans complaining won't work. What was that group that put the report in that got gers done? Maybe contact them!

So, just because we have a few idiots who let the club down constantly, let's just let the cancer at the heart of it all get away with it?

We should CoCo!!!

southside1874

I take it this guy has met the Taliban :ninja:

No it's a Hibs fan assuming the position :lol:

Italian Lambretta

You can't say that on here as you might be described as homophobic.

Or maybe they will turn a blind eye to that?

No it's a Hibs fan assuming the position :lol:

Chris Benoit

I thought bigotry was more to do with you thinking your beliefs are correct and refusing to even consider some other beliefs. And it doesn't have to be religious either. :thumbsup:

I think I get it now though. I'm allowed to dislike someone but if it gets heated then I'm not allowed to say anything about any differences :whistling:

Wrong a bigot is someone who dislikes or abuses someone because of their differences be that nationality,religion, ethnicity, sexuality even disability or any other difference you can think of.

On the second part I would think that would be blatantly obvious

Riddley Walker

If i was one of those folk that just gives a 'facepalm' for an answer then that's what i would post right now.

Calm down all, everything has changed at Ibrox. They don't play any sort of sectarian music at all before the games now. I mean, Penny Arcade is just a sing along Roy Orbison ditty from the 1960's..........................yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Benoit

Calm down all, everything has changed at Ibrox. They don't play any sort of sectarian music at all before the games now. I mean, Penny Arcade is just a sing along Roy Orbison ditty from the 1960's..........................yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the story behind it I genuinely don't know

southside1874

Wrong a bigot is someone who dislikes or abuses someone because of their differences be that nationality,religion, ethnicity, sexuality even disability or any other difference you can think of.

On the second part I would think that would be blatantly obvious

I thought you just had to be intolerant. Being abusive takes it to another level :thumbsup:

Alba gu Brath

"For those brave men who crossed the Boyne have not fought or died in vain

Our Unity, Religion, Laws, and Freedom to maintain,

If the call should come we'll follow the drum, and cross that river once more

That tomorrow's Ulsterman may wear the sash my father wore!"

- Either the reference to religion and by implication, a religious/ political war by one sect against another makes it sectarian.

- Or, it is political, in which case Scottish Protestant Celtic fans singing about the IRA, especially the original form, is not sectarian either?

Or, more to the point - neither have Ef-all to do with football, celebrate auld battles and do cause offence to some.

Do any Jambos seriously want to join the OF in their cesspit?

The Real Maroonblood

- Either the reference to religion and by implication, a religious/ political war by one sect against another makes it sectarian.

- Or, it is political, in which case Scottish Protestant Celtic fans singing about the IRA, especially the original form, is not sectarian either?

Or, more to the point - neither have Ef-all to do with football, celebrate auld battles and do cause offence to some.

Unfortunately there are some imbiciles who do.

What's the story behind it I genuinely don't know

Not going to type the whole story again but it is on the match thread although if you wish I can do a copy and paste job.

adayinmay

Well if you heard it on TV then it must be true. I was sitting 20 yards from the Rangers singing section and heard nothing that referred to the Pope.

I did hear the Sash getting belted out but thats not sectarian."

How can a song celebrating Protestants killing and beating the Catholics in battles not be sectarian?

EC_Hearts

I think there is a danger here of offending Hearts supporters of Irish origin. Folk songs from across the water are not the property of rantic they belong to the inhabitants of the countries. Although born & bred scottish I have relatives from the outskirts of Belfast who are proud of their heritage as well as being proud Hearts supporters, they have no association with the pondlife located along the M8.

Genuinely interested, would the same fans that complain about Rangers also write letters to the SFA about Hearts fans? Because when Celtic come to town I guarantee you there will be Sectarian songs arguably 'worse' than any heard at Ibrox today.

If not, why not?

EC_Hearts

How can a song celebrating Protestants killing and beating the Catholics in battles not be sectarian?

Would Substituting Scottish killing and beating English make it better ?

so where do we stand on Flower of Scotland?

Not trying to be controversial just trying to establish some consistency

Chris Benoit

You're right in what you say but would you agree these songs have no place in football?

southside1874

Indeed, all these songs about the Jacobites etc??

southside1874

You're right in what you say but would you agree these songs have no place in football?

So we ban Flower of Scotland and God Save the Queen and even the Irish National Anthem??

EC_Hearts

Without a doubt

Chris Benoit

So we ban Flower of Scotland and God Save the Queen and even the Irish National Anthem??

Where did I say ban the songs?

Rossmor38

Daft post :rolleyes:

The Sash(without the add on's) has been proved in a British court as being non sectarian.

If all songs commemorating victory in battles were banned there'd be very few national anthems about in the world. If you take your logic then the likes of Flower of Scotland and God save the Queen would both be deemed sectarian as both songs have versus which commemorate victory in battles.

Unfortunately it seems that people these days are in danger of disappearing up their own arse in a world of PC madness.

southside1874

Where did I say ban the songs?

You said something about banning songs at football matches.

southside1874

Daft post :rolleyes:

The Sash(without the add on's) has been proved in a British court as being non sectarian.

If all songs commemorating victory in battles were banned there'd be very few national anthems about in the world. If you take your logic then the likes of Flower of Scotland and God save the Queen would both be deemed sectarian as both songs have versus which commemorate victory in battles.

Unfortunately it seems that people these days are in danger of disappearing up their own arse in a world of PC madness.

Or maybe some folk are just intolerant :lol:

Chris Benoit

You said something about banning songs at football matches.

No I said they had no place, there is no way you could ban them but I'd hope people one day wouldn't fell the need to sing them and stick to songs about football

portobellojambo1

In terms of the OP the song The Sash My Father Wore could be heard coming form the Broomloan Stand today. I would dispute that is was a large minority though, in fact it sounded like it was maybe around 100 or so people at most. I don't recall hearing the ending, because I wasn't paying them close attention, what caught my attention more was the number of Rangers fans who appeared to object (maybe wrong expression/word to use, possibly understood the potential repercussions is more apt) to what they were singing, hence why it fizzled out so quickly.

As has been pointed out in other posts a similar add on was used by a much larger percentage of the Hearts support who attended the Kilmarnock game last week, along with certain other words. Again, as has already been pointed out by bringing these already known problems to the attention of certain bodies we could end up shooting ourselves in the foot, because the club that gets used as the sample club for large financial/points punishment could end up being HMFC. While I have no objection to the OP taking offence if indeed those three words he mentions were used (I'm not saying they weren't used, just that I never heard them because there were so few actually singing it, it actually seemed to end before the end was reached, they just gave up because no one was joining in) we could end up getting dragged into a war of words, and we, HMFC are small fry in comparison to the OF, and much easier to pick on.

Perhaps better if we put our own house in order before we start pointing the finger at others, especially others who are already under investigation, its like stating the obvious.

In terms of Wednesday all I can suggest is that people think very carefully about what they sing on Wednesday and what they take into the stadium with them. And don't assume that if there is a stranger in the seat next to you it is a Celtic fan, who was forced to purchase a ticket in the home end. I think people both approaching and then entering the ground will quickly realise that on Wednesday night there will be a huge police presence (not all wearing uniforms) and they are there for a reason.

J Cheever Loophole

y

Yes in years gone by I'M GUILTY of singing certain songs,and posting racist crap,full o the drink.No excuse i know,feck me i came home from the south knowing the songs they are singing at darkhead today, 13 yrs ago.To this day I can listen to flute bands,rebel bands and no one ones got the right to tell me what i should or what i shouldn't listen to,I cant speak German but one of my favourite pieces of music is the Horst Wessalll. song

Yes these songs do belong in the dark ages, And times have changed, But the fact uefa is now cracking down so hard on these songs is a little bit worrying. Where will it stop. Soon the only song you will be allowed to sing at tynecastle, Will be Hearts, Hearts ra ra ra, As the h.e.a.r.t.s song will be classed as offensive, Because it mentions rangers & celtic. Modern football, Dont you just hate it !

Riddley Walker

Yes these songs do belong in the dark ages, And times have changed, But the fact uefa is now cracking down so hard on these songs is a little bit worrying. Where will it stop. Soon the only song you will be allowed to sing at tynecastle, Will be Hearts, Hearts ra ra ra, As the h.e.a.r.t.s song will be classed as offensive, Because it mentions rangers & celtic. Modern football, Dont you just hate it !

Oh get a grip. I'm no PC pusher but I'm pretty sure we'll get along fine if some of our fans stop singing about fenian blood. Which other songs we sing do you think will get banned?

In terms of the OP the song The Sash My Father Wore could be heard coming form the Broomloan Stand today. I would dispute that is was a large minority though, in fact it sounded like it was maybe around 100 or so people at most. I don't recall hearing the ending, because I wasn't paying them close attention, what caught my attention more was the number of Rangers fans who appeared to object (maybe wrong expression/word to use, possibly understood the potential repercussions is more apt) to what they were singing, hence why it fizzled out so quickly.

As has been pointed out in other posts a similar add on was used by a much larger percentage of the Hearts support who attended the Kilmarnock game last week, along with certain other words. Again, as has already been pointed out by bringing these already known problems to the attention of certain bodies we could end up shooting ourselves in the foot, because the club that gets used as the sample club for large financial/points punishment could end up being HMFC. While I have no objection to the OP taking offence if indeed those three words he mentions were used (I'm not saying they weren't used, just that I never heard them because there were so few actually singing it, it actually seemed to end before the end was reached, they just gave up because no one was joining in) we could end up getting dragged into a war of words, and we, HMFC are small fry in comparison to the OF, and much easier to pick on.

Perhaps better if we put our own house in order before we start pointing the finger at others, especially others who are already under investigation, its like stating the obvious.

In terms of Wednesday all I can suggest is that people think very carefully about what they sing on Wednesday and what they take into the stadium with them. And don't assume that if there is a stranger in the seat next to you it is a Celtic fan, who was forced to purchase a ticket in the home end. I think people both approaching and then entering the ground will quickly realise that on Wednesday night there will be a huge police presence (not all wearing uniforms) and they are there for a reason.

Please see my earlier post regarding the songs played over the tannoy at Ibrox today.

ase

Ple

Please s

Templeton'sUnderpants

Not going to type the whole story again but it is on the match thread although if you wish I can do a copy and paste job.

Yes please I can't seem to find it.

speedbump

Penny Arcade sounds superb on the flute, you tube it :thumbsup:

boabyarsebiscuit

Some middle class student who doesn't attend Hearts games, celebrating a sad drugged up wrestler double murderer, however ironic said middle class student thinks they are, has no place on a football message board.

Do you agree?

Chris Benoit

Some middle class student who doesn't attend Hearts games, celebrating a sad drugged up wrestler double murderer, however ironic said middle class student thinks they are, has no place on a football message board.

Do you agree?

Aww bless you thought you had me all worked out didn't you?

Some would say a person who is unable to take part in a debate and instead tries to be a smart arse but fails miserably and makes himself look like a fud has no place on a football messageboard

Rossmor38

Please see my earlier post regarding the songs played over the tannoy at Ibrox today.

ase

Ple

Please s

Please post some actual facts about Penny Arcade not something you've made up or taken off a Celtic message board.

Rossmor38

Yes please I can't seem to find it.

He slavered some shoite about the Roy Orbiston version of Penny Arcade being a favourite of DJ's in Ulster in the 80's after the UVF supposedly killed an IRA scumbag while he was playing the puggie.

No facts of course, seriously you wouldn't think anyone could make stuff like up but some people obviously have an excellent imagination. I look forward to his next installment of taking an innocent song and turning it into a sectarian tune.

portobellojambo1

He slavered some shoite about the Roy Orbiston version of Penny Arcade being a favourite of DJ's in Ulster in the 80's after the UVF supposedly killed an IRA scumbag while he was playing the puggie.

No facts of course, seriously you wouldn't think anyone could make stuff like up but some people obviously have an excellent imagination. I look forward to his next installment of taking an innocent song and turning it into a sectarian tune.

The song is being promoted by Rangers as it was the tune chosen by that club's supporters to raise money for Erskine. It is a song originally done by Roy Orbison, and rerecorded by some guy from Huddersfield. After the song did the circuit in some clubs, it was played at Ibrox. The Rangers support thereafter started a campaign to raise funds for Erskine, and they spoke to the guy from Huddersfield. He has agreed to re-record and release it with all money raised going to Erskine.

Some lunatic of a Celtic fan has tried to link this into Belfast in September 1986, when a Roman Catholic was killed in an amusement arcade, and has been laughed off the planet by all sources he's peddled this to. But it appears some on JKB think that it is well worth believing as being an example of sectarianism despite it being a pile of shite emanating from a fan of the biggest pile of shite on this Earth, Celtic FC. Forever the vicTims.

southside1874

The song is being promoted by Rangers as it was the tune chosen by that club's supporters to raise money for Erskine. It is a song originally done by Roy Orbison, and rerecorded by some guy from Huddersfield. After the song did the circuit in some clubs, it was played at Ibrox. The Rangers support thereafter started a campaign to raise funds for Erskine, and they spoke to the guy from Huddersfield. He has agreed to re-record and release it with all money raised going to Erskine.

Some lunatic of a Celtic fan has tried to link this into Belfast in September 1986, when a Roman Catholic was killed in an amusement arcade, and has been laughed off the planet by all sources he's peddled this to. But it appears some on JKB think that it is well worth believing as being an example of sectarianism despite it being a pile of shite emanating from a fan of the biggest pile of shite on this Earth, Celtic FC. Forever the vicTims.

And this is why it will never end while we still have these two teams in existence. Instead of everyone getting involved in their pash................................I suggest that the First Minister tells them they have next season to sort themselves out or they will be closed down :thumbsup:

MacDonald Jardine

And this is why it will never end while we still have these two teams in existence. Instead of everyone getting involved in their pash................................I suggest that the First Minister tells them they have next season to sort themselves out or they will be closed down :thumbsup:

What "pash" are you talking about?

Singing songs or deluded conspiracy theories?

Alba gu Brath

Have you ever heard Flower of Scotland? I'm sure it contains the words, 'these days are gone now, and in the past they must remain'.

Does the Sash call for auld enmities to be left in the past in favour of moving forward?

Plus, I've never heard FoS sung at a club game in Scotland though if it has happened I'd be interested in hearing about it and who it offended.

Alba gu Brath

Quote from Hootsmon btw..

Now that Osama Bin Laden is dead and Rangers fanz are banned in Europe, has there ever been a safer time to travel ?

:D

MacDonald Jardine

Have you ever heard Flower of Scotland? I'm sure it contains the words, 'these days are gone now, and in the past they must remain'.

Does the Sash call for auld enmities to be left in the past in favour of moving forward?

Plus, I've never heard FoS sung at a club game in Scotland though if it has happened I'd be interested in hearing about it and who it offended.

You've obviously not been to many games then. It's sung by almost every team, including Hearts, against the OF.

It's not whether it's offensive or not (it clearly isn't). It's what relevance it has to a football game.

Is that not the argument against other songs?

southside1874

What "pash" are you talking about?

Singing songs or deluded conspiracy theories?

Just the fact that you can ban songs and flags and badges but the conspiracy and the feelings will still be prominent. Personally I don't think it will change much while these two teams exist.

Sten Guns

Do you agree?

:lol:

I might make my username Theresa Riggi. :vrface:

portobellojambo1

Not long out of bed so not sure how we've arrived at Flower of Scotland in the context of how the thread started off, but it is a song that you will hear (depending on where you sit I'd imagine, as it is often sung by small numbers) inside Tynecastle every time Rangers visit. Not sure about other clubs, I rarely, if ever watch Scottish football which doesn't involve a game Hearts are playing in.

Archived