Old Firm Sectarian Nonsense

rossmaroon

rossmaroon

Dear Neil,

I was present as a supporter of Hearts FC at Ibrox Stadium this afternoon and was yet again appalled at the sectarian singing of Glasgow Rangers fans.

I would like to register that at one point in the game a large minority of the fans in the Broomloan Stand sang The Sash and at least 100 of them added the offensive and sectarian chorus, ?**** the Pope?. There was no sign of disapprobation from surrounding fans, no arrests or ejections; in other words no change.

In solidarity with Dundee United fans, I would like this complaint to be acknowledged and dealt with, with a view to disciplinary action taken against Rangers FC.

This is in addition to the disgraceful behaviour of Celtic fans at Inverness last Wednesday when offensive singing pervaded the match and at least 165 seats were destroyed due to wanton vandalism.

If I do not receive a reply from you, I will take this as another example of the Scottish football establishment sticking its head in the sand and will forward this email to the Scottish press and to UEFA who seem to be taking the scourge of racist bigotry peddled by the fans of our Old Firm seriously.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

Ross Meikle

Glasgow Hearts Supporters Club

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Italian Lambretta

I was there and I didn't hear any sectarian singing.

Are you sure you were at the game today?

Dear Neil,

I was present as a supporter of Hearts FC at Ibrox Stadium this afternoon and was yet again appalled at the sectarian singing of Glasgow Rangers fans.

I would like to register that at one point in the game a large minority of the fans in the Broomloan Stand sang The Sash and at least 100 of them added the offensive and sectarian chorus, ?**** the Pope?. There was no sign of disapprobation from surrounding fans, no arrests or ejections; in other words no change.

In solidarity with Dundee United fans, I would like this complaint to be acknowledged and dealt with, with a view to disciplinary action taken against Rangers FC.

This is in addition to the disgraceful behaviour of Celtic fans at Inverness last Wednesday when offensive singing pervaded the match and at least 165 seats were destroyed due to wanton vandalism.

If I do not receive a reply from you, I will take this as another example of the Scottish football establishment sticking its head in the sand and will forward this email to the Scottish press and to UEFA who seem to be taking the scourge of racist bigotry peddled by the fans of our Old Firm seriously.

Yours sincerely,

Ross Meikle

Good letter mate :thumbsup:

Can I copy and paste this and with a slight amendment send one to the gfa too. Or we all could.

Victor Meldrew

Dear Neil,

Yours sincerely,

Ross Meikle

Excellent stuff, but:

(1) I'd send something to UEFA - after all they are the ones keen to do something about it.

(2) Why not send it to the Police - you'd be reporting an offence under the anti-sectarianism laws. If you sent it to the Chief constable of Strathclyde Police, you could ask him why his officers appeared to take no action against the perpetrators.

(3) There'll be a newly elected MSP who might take an interest - particularly if there is a possibility that the first press story is that he or she doesn't respond to sectarianism.

Goldstone Wonder

Please go out more and get a life

If you knew the OP you'd know how ridiculous that statement was! I heard them the Sash being sung towards the end of the game on tv.

Would you send a letter when Hearts fans add sectarian bits to hello hello.I heard that sung a lot more louder recently than the Rangers fans today.Watching game on tv and cannot really remember any loud singing throughout.

Italian Lambretta

Well if you heard it on TV then it must be true. I was sitting 20 yards from the Rangers singing section and heard nothing that referred to the Pope.

I did hear the Sash getting belted out but thats not sectarian.

I think we should wait until after wednesday before we start getting up tight about what Rangers fans are singing. I'm sure there will be a few Hearts songs directed at the VicTims that will be perceived as sectarian.

If you knew the OP you'd know how ridiculous that statement was! I heard them the Sash being sung towards the end of the game on tv.

I am sorry to say but since when has the sash been sectarian?

If you are going to send letters then get the facts right

Jambof3tornado

The glass houses comment is well founded. At killie last week we were up to our knees in fenian blood! Apparently!

Opposition fans complaining won't work. What was that group that put the report in that got gers done? Maybe contact them!

Chris Benoit

I am sorry to say but since when has the sash been sectarian?

If you are going to send letters then get the facts right

The **** the pope during it might have been a giveaway

We should wait until our hate fest on Wednesday is over before complaining about anything.

Chris Benoit

We should wait until our hate fest on Wednesday is over before complaining about anything.

Well I'd hope any Hearts fans singing **** the Pope on Wednesday are dealt with, no place at the football and no place in society wouldn't you agree?

Rick Grimes

pehaps football isnae you sport OP. Try following Cricket

perhaps football has got nothing to do with the "right" to shout FTP.......

SanliHearts

Calm down! Not saying it's right but you WILL hear sectarian abuse from both sets of fans at Tynie on Wednesday, just have to deal with it, it's always going to be there.

Chris Benoit

Calm down! Not saying it's right but you WILL hear sectarian abuse from both sets of fans at Tynie on Wednesday, just have to deal with it, it's always going to be there.

With attitudes like yours it will be

Well I'd hope any Hearts fans singing **** the Pope on Wednesday are dealt with, no place at the football and no place in society wouldn't you agree?

Agree 100% but I also know that there will be a lot of bigotry from both set of supporters on Wednesday,sadly a lot more than at Ibrox today.

what FTP bit I am unaware of any part of the sash with that in it.

SanliHearts

With attitudes like yours it will be

So what if it is? It's been around as long as the clubs have surely people are used to it now.

Chris Benoit

Agree 100% but I also know that there will be a lot of bigotry from both set of supporters on Wednesday,sadly a lot more than at Ibrox today.

You're right but it doesn't mean we have to accept it. Personally I'd like to see the police going in and ejecting or arresting anyone from either side found to be singing sectarian songs and it will only be with that fear factor that other supporters will stop joining in.

Chris Benoit

It's not in the original song lyrics but then again it's not in the original lyrics to Simply the Best but the Rangers fans still find a way to shoe horn it in

Chris Benoit

So what if it is? It's been around as long as the clubs have surely people are used to it now.

But people shouldn't 'get used to it'. It's unacceptable and we all should be doing everything we can to get rid of it

southside1874

This whole sectarian issue is turning into a witch hunt. I remember how mental I thought it was when muslim fundamentalist tried to kill folk because they spoke out about the quran.

This isn't much better.

What a ridiculous reply!!! If you know the words, go through them in your head, when you get to the end it might just click!! You might then just apologise.

You're right but it doesn't mean we have to accept it. Personally I'd like to see the police going in and ejecting or arresting anyone from either side found to be singing sectarian songs and it will only be with that fear factor that other supporters will stop joining in.

Again I agree,hence my post about sending a letter when Hearts fans sing their songs.

hearts_crazy

The glass houses comment is well founded. At killie last week we were up to our knees in fenian blood! Apparently!

Opposition fans complaining won't work. What was that group that put the report in that got gers done? Maybe contact them!

Exactly what I was thinking, just one burst of that particular song, with that line and the 'Gorgie Billy Boys' line, but nonetheless........

Chris Benoit

This whole sectarian issue is turning into a witch hunt. I remember how mental I thought it was when muslim fundamentalist tried to kill folk because they spoke out about the quran.

This isn't much better.

Read this back and tell me it's not nonsense.

So people not tolerating bigotry are as bad as murderers?

Chris Benoit

Again I agree,hence my post about sending a letter when Hearts fans sing their songs.

See what your saying nobody wants to grass on one of your own which is why I said I'd like the police take a more active stance

southside1874

Read this back and tell me it's not nonsense.

So people not tolerating bigotry are as bad as murderers?

As far as I'm aware Salman Rushdie is still alive. Its more to do with the fact that someone isn't allowed to say they don't like any religion.

Chris Benoit

As far as I'm aware Salman Rushdie is still alive. Its more to do with the fact that someone isn't allowed to say they don't like any religion.

To be honest it's not what you say it's how you say it.

"I have no time for the Catholic Church and all they stand for."

"I have no time for Fenians and all their timmy beliefs."

Spot the difference

southside1874

To be honest it's not what you say it's how you say it.

"I have no time for the Catholic Church and all they stand for."

"I have no time for Fenians and all their timmy beliefs."

Spot the difference

So if you attended private school then its okay????

It gets worse :unsure:

The Real Maroonblood

That's the SFA's take on it. This is the reason why UEFA are dealing with it.

I hope this helps you.

Chris Benoit

So if you attended private school then its okay????

It gets worse :unsure:

No one is a statement against a religion the other is against the people who practice that religion.

What a ridiculous reply!!! If you know the words, go through them in your head, when you get to the end it might just click!! You might then just apologise.

apologies for what exactly? Knowing the words to the sash I dont think so.

I am mearly making a point that the sash is not a sectarian song.

Any song can be taken and the words FTP added.

I am no way saying that its correct though.

EC_Hearts

Can't help but feel this idea of "reporting" other fans is going to come back and bite us because let be honest the SPL / SFA love nothing more than lamping us with fines (in the first instance, I'm sure a points deduction could follow). Just as I feel the victims will get their comeuppance when they are investigated for their "political "ditties.

With regard to the songs debate:-

The sash chorus is not a sectarian song, the schemey add ons make it offensive (note I say chorus as that's all that's ever sung I presume they don't know the rest of the words !!).

The fields of athenry is not a sectarian song again the schemey add ons make it offensive

The billy boys is a historical Glasgow gang song originating from Bridgeton wth the lyrics relating to a rival gang. Can be quite uplifting at times tho' !!

Sometimes feel that a lack of education (in society not Kickback !!) results in this continuing debate which has been going on for as long as I can remember.

southside1874

No one is a statement against a religion the other is against the people who practice that religion.

Oh, so your not allowed to dislike people either :ninja:

southside1874

Can't help but feel this idea of "reporting" other fans is going to come back and bite us because let be honest the SPL / SFA love nothing more than lamping us with fines (in the first instance, I'm sure a points deduction could follow). Just as I feel the victims will get their comeuppance when they are investigated for their "political "ditties.

With regard to the songs debate:-

The sash chorus is not a sectarian song, the schemey add ons make it offensive (note I say chorus as that's all that's ever sung I presume they don't know the rest of the words !!).

The fields of athenry is not a sectarian song again the schemey add ons make it offensive

The billy boys is a historical Glasgow gang song originating from Bridgeton wth the lyrics relating to a rival gang. Can be quite uplifting at times tho' !!

Sometimes feel that a lack of education (in society not Kickback !!) results in this continuing debate which has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I just go by the old rules that being a grass is taboo :thumbsup:

davemclaren

Is that your stance on racism as well? :ninja:

Chris Benoit

I don't know why I'm bothering but no you're not allowed to dislike someone purely because of the religion they practice, that's bigotry.

Having an issue with the practices and beliefs of a religion is not bigotry.

I typed this very slow so you might have a chance to understand it.

davemclaren

I don't know why I'm bothering but no you're not allowed to dislike someone purely because of the religion they practice, that's bigotry.

Having an issue with the practices and beliefs of a religion is not bigotry.

I typed this very slow so you might have a chance to understand it.

I don't think he gets it tbh. :unsure:

Italian Lambretta

I take it no one objects to the Rangers fans singing Penny Arcade today os was their some sectarian content added to that?

davemclaren

I take it no one objects to the Rangers fans singing Penny Arcade today os was their some sectarian content added to that?

No idea. I though our resident expert said there was some 'subtle' sectarian conection?

Riddley Walker

This isn't much better.

What a bizarre post.

Chris Benoit

I don't think he gets it tbh. :unsure:

That's why I typed it very slow give him half a chance

Archived