• Doctor FinnBarr

• jb102

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fitzroy Pointon
4 minutes ago, jb102 said:

Warm it up before draining it. 

Okay.  Ill take it out a quick run in the morning.  I will need to locate the lock for draining it before I do anything.  

Fitzroy Pointon
4 minutes ago, alyp said:

Yeah. I know it’s not the real thing but I love the old school looks coupled with the new school mechanics. Even tho it is a Chinese engine!  To be honest it’s been really reliable so far. A bit reticent for the first 50 yards but not bad when it gets going. 

I got a Lexmoto Vienna the other week.  I bought it off my mate, he had it for a year and a half beforehand.  I had wanted the Milano model, which is close to a Vespa but I couldn't justify the repayments and I had the cash sitting for the Vienna.  It's running great but the electric start isn't working at the moment and kick-starting it in the morning can be a pain.  I knew that when I bought it and will eventually get it fixed.  I heard the Chinese engines were great but the electrics shit.  

I can't quite tell what it's closer to, a Lammy or a Vespa but it's got the classic lines anyway.  

3-5.jpg

19 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I got a Lexmoto Vienna the other week.  I bought it off my mate, he had it for a year and a half beforehand.  I had wanted the Milano model, which is close to a Vespa but I couldn't justify the repayments and I had the cash sitting for the Vienna.  It's running great but the electric start isn't working at the moment and kick-starting it in the morning can be a pain.  I knew that when I bought it and will eventually get it fixed.  I heard the Chinese engines were great but the electrics shit.  

I can't quite tell what it's closer to, a Lammy or a Vespa but it's got the classic lines anyway.  

3-5.jpg

For me the Vespa. Looks great. Is there storage under the seat or just the battery? 

Fitzroy Pointon
5 minutes ago, alyp said:

For me the Vespa. Looks great. Is there storage under the seat or just the battery? 

I was surprised with the storage.  Can easily fit my helmet and the lock under it when I am in work and a bag of stuff when I'm travelling.  

12 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I was surprised with the storage.  Can easily fit my helmet and the lock under it when I am in work and a bag of stuff when I'm travelling.  

Nice. 

Space Mackerel
19 hours ago, bikerjambo said:

Nope, I like to hear what my engines are doing and all I ever heard was my heart beating in my head. Also found that I either whispered or shouted at petrol station attendants.

:lol: Same. Yup, they take a bit of getting used to, I do get the odd look in petrol stations!

Just got my old cbrf4 out the shed after a couple of years and motd. £75 to insure. Battery was effed but is running like a dream. 

• 4 years later...

Bumped due to me looking at doing my cbt and das in next couple of months. 

As I'm 47 with hips that lock out in a sports or even more upright position I'm looking at a cheap cruiser to start with. Virago, vulcan or similar.

I'm Livingston based so A2B motorcycle training, Jim Allan or lothian motorcycle training are my nearest and preferred training providers.

Cost of training is pretty similar wherever you go I feel so it comes down to reputation for who I'll go with.

highlandjambo3

I used to run about on a Yamaha XVS dragster……great days…..I dream of this bad fella though:

Triumph rocket 3 GT……..naught to 60 in 2.7 seconds (same as a formula 1 racing car) this bike takes cruisers to a new level and will thrash any racing bike over a straight (1/4 mile) run, 2400cc engine delivering 160bhp…….if your going to clock out on a motorbike this is the one to do it.

NOTE- Side stand only, there’s no way you could lift  this up on a centre stand.

70A6A728-B419-4369-AAD7-C553E54DE372.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

12 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I used to run about on a Yamaha XVS dragster……great days…..I dream of this bad fella though:

Triumph rocket 3 GT……..naught to 60 in 2.7 seconds (same as a formula 1 racing car) this bike takes cruisers to a new level and will thrash any racing bike over a straight (1/4 mile) run, 2400cc engine delivering 160bhp…….if your going to clock out on a motorbike this is the one to do it.

NOTE- Side stand only, there’s no way you could lift  this up on a centre stand.

70A6A728-B419-4369-AAD7-C553E54DE372.jpeg

Bit of a beast right enough .

Maybe try to work my way up to one over next couple of years... 🤔🤔😂

• 8 months later...

Nearly five years on from this thread and I've still not got a bike.

A lots changed in that time & I have the money for my DAS now. Going to go with him Allen at Falkirk, got theory and hazard perception so just need to figure out dates I can do it. JA cheapest I've found in my area, £793 including CBT, big bike upgrade day, mod1,  mod2 and test. 

I've been playing the go compare game aswell. 

Go on MCN or auto trader, find type of bike you like and enter reg number in quote details.

Chuffed to bits with results so far. 

For example a 4 year old royal Enfield Himalayan costing just under 3k comes in at £141 a year tpft.. 

highlandjambo3

First bike was a Yam RD250 LC, then a yam XVS Dragster……….would dearly love a triumph rocket 3GT, If the mrs would let me I’d be getting one tomorrow……serious performance…….0-60 about the same as a formula 1 racing car (just a baw hair behind😁)….this is one serious beast.

DD5C04F1-D038-404F-97A4-BED29DE7F8D6.jpeg

2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

First bike was a Yam RD250 LC, then a yam XVS Dragster……….would dearly love a triumph rocket 3GT, If the mrs would let me I’d be getting one tomorrow……serious performance…….0-60 about the same as a formula 1 racing car (just a baw hair behind😁)….this is one serious beast.

So ridiculous looking its actually quite cool! 😂

Not as bad as Adam Millyards V8 (or is it a V10 or V12?) Motorbike..

Can't upload photos for some reason....

Edit.. https://www.techeblog.com/allen-millyard-dodge-viper-v10-motorcycle/

Edited by muldoon74

Tried to start the bike a couple of weeks ago for the first time since about September and not surprisingly it wouldn't start, I know bugger all about bikes so didn't "winter" it.

Anyway, charged the battery, changed the oil and filter, replaced the air filter and after taking off the fuel tank cleaned out the fuel pump. A bit of quick start spray into the carbs and air intake and it finally got going.

Couldn't have done any of that without the help of YouTube videos but bike is now running like a dream.

Oh and I put on some Oxford heated grips as well, they're brilliant.

Just need the rain to piss off now so I can go for a decent run.

Psychedelicropcircle

zEhhiPL.jpg

seen as we have pictures of a s-comedy on here its deemed to be right to show the real deal!

Edited by Psychedelicropcircle

3 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

zEhhiPL.jpg

seen as we have pictures of a s-comedy on here its deemed to be right to show the real deal!

Gorgeous.

3 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

zEhhiPL.jpg

Very nice. There were a couple of lads when I was at school that were into the scooters. Early 80s so it was the mod thing which wasn't for me but the scooters were. 40 odd years later I still love the smell and noise of a 2 stroke . Is it too late for me to do my cbt.....🤔

Psychedelicropcircle
48 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Very nice. There were a couple of lads when I was at school that were into the scooters. Early 80s so it was the mod thing which wasn't for me but the scooters were. 40 odd years later I still love the smell and noise of a 2 stroke . Is it too late for me to do my cbt.....🤔

Mr T it’s never too late to tick the adventure box in life! 
She looks good considering it’s still in original paint since 71 & what looks like nail varnish as touch up😀

23 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Beats my speed triple off the line which is incredible at that weight .

I did wonder if a thread existed on motorbikes 😂 Sitting the bike test is one of the best things I have done, opens up so much up. 

59 minutes ago, heyjude1 said:

I did wonder if a thread existed on motorbikes 😂 Sitting the bike test is one of the best things I have done, opens up so much up. 

100 percent especially on a summers day with a spare couple of hours. 

Pretty sure its what going to kill me though.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, heyjude1 said:

It opened up a life of touring Europe and lifelong friendships for me but alas, no more. Need a car for work and without even a shed to put a bike in I can't justify having 2 vehicles anymore. Shame.

Just had a quick headcount, 13 bikes I've owned.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Doctor FinnBarr
8 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

It opened up a life of touring Europe and lifelong friendships for me but alas, no more. Need a car for work and without even a shed to put a bike in I can't justify having 2 vehicles anymore. Shame.

Sorry, make that 14, forgot the only brand new bike I ever owned, Suzuki GSX 750 Inazuma

5 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Sorry, make that 14, forgot the only brand new bike I ever owned, Suzuki GSX 750 Inazuma

I got my CBR600F4 5 years ago (I think) and thought that will do me for now but to be honest I can't see me changing it, it does everything that I need it to and is plenty fast enough for me. 

Oh and it's now 23 years old.

Edited by graygo

Doctor FinnBarr
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I got my CBR600F4 5 years ago (I think) and thought that will do me for now but to be honest I can't see me changing it, it does everything that I need it to and is plenty fast enough for me. 

Oh and it's now 23 years old.

Same age as me then, lol

Biggest bike I had was a Suzuki GS 1100, you've met me mate and that was a heavy bike for a short arse. Daughter grew up in a sidecar on a GS1000

10 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Same age as me then, lol

Biggest bike I had was a Suzuki GS 1100, you've met me mate and that was a heavy bike for a short arse. Daughter grew up in a sidecar on a GS1000

I had a go on my brother in law's Kawasaki ZRX1100, I think I'd be wrapped around a tree within a week if I had one. 

That's not meant to be funny btw I really do think that.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Just noticed that I actually posted about my bike on the first page of this thread and it is 5 years I've had it. 👍

I'd start a seperate sidecar owners thread but at a guess it'd only be me posting.

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

I had a go on my brother in law's Kawasaki ZRX1100, I think I'd be wrapped around a tree within a week if I had one. 

That's not meant to be funny btw I really do think that.

A mate had some sort of Yamaha 600 and traded it in and bought a Honda Blackbird. He picked it up in Edinburgh and after work set off back to Glasgow. He had to pull over just after Harthill when he realised his usual throttle use had him hitting about 120mph and he almost shat himself. 

14 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'd start a seperate sidecar owners thread but at a guess it'd only be me posting.

Off on a tangent here but my wife's best friend is Mrs Jock Taylor who I'm sure you'll be familiar with.

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A mate had some sort of Yamaha 600 and traded it in and bought a Honda Blackbird. He picked it up in Edinburgh and after work set off back to Glasgow. He had to pull over just after Harthill when he realised his usual throttle use had him hitting about 120mph and he almost shat himself. 

I had a similar experience going from a 125 to a 600, the 1100 was a completely different kettle of fish. I thought I was going to fall off the back of it. 😄

Doctor FinnBarr
Just now, graygo said:

Off on a tangent here but my wife's best friend is Mrs Jock Taylor who I'm sure you'll be familiar with.

I'm aware of him mate but I'm not racing fan whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

I had a similar experience going from a 125 to a 600, the 1100 was a completely different kettle of fish. I thought I was going to fall off the back of it. 😄

I don’t know what he was thinking about buying it as it was the fastest road legal bike in the world at the time. What freaked him out was that it was a comfortable bike with the usual Honda smoothness about the engine but went like absolute stink without the drama you’d expect. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, graygo said:

World sidecar champion and multiple TT winner, killed during a race in Finland.

Like I said, not a racing fan whatsoever.

I drove my daughter through Holland, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, France and Belgium whilst she was still in nappies, chuffed 

Doctor FinnBarr
30 minutes ago, graygo said:

World sidecar champion and multiple TT winner, killed during a race in Finland.

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/97968-jock-taylor/

Oh,incase you want to hunt out my sidecar it was a Watsonian Maxstoke built in 1960. It was falling to bits in the end up so I kept the chassis and built a stainless frame with aluminium sides on it. Not good with pics but I'll see if daughter can post them when she visits next.

7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Like I said, not a racing fan whatsoever.

I drove my daughter through Holland, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, France and Belgium whilst she was still in nappies, chuffed 

Must have had buns of steel mate, my arse was broken just going up to Inverness 😄

22 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I've stopped at 19........ probably......

Psychedelicropcircle
16 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Oh,incase you want to hunt out my sidecar it was a Watsonian Maxstoke built in 1960. It was falling to bits in the end up so I kept the chassis and built a stainless frame with aluminium sides on it. Not good with pics but I'll see if daughter can post them when she visits next.

On my wedding day I & the best gadge arrived on an sx200 with watsonian side car, I put the hibs **** over every speed bump on the way there😂

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

On my wedding day I & the best gadge arrived on an sx200 with watsonian side car, I put the hibs **** over every speed bump on the way there😂

Thats the way I like it baby I don't want to live forever.

• 6 months later...

had my first ride out today on my new cb125f. 

despite all the pish I've said on other threads I've gone down the 125 l plate route because its best for me today.

Done CBT in May with Jim Allan in Falkirk then sat on it with life getting in the way for the past 5 months.. 

2 weeks ago went to Two Wheels at Peffermill, bought a brand new CB125F. It's registered, insured and delivered. (I'll post a couple of pics from my phone soon.)

Just now, muldoon74 said:

despite all the pish I've said on other threads I've gone down the 125 l plate route because its best for me today.

Done CBT in May with Jim Allan in Falkirk then sat on it with life getting in the way for the past 5 months.. 

2 weeks ago went to Two Wheels at Peffermill, bought a brand new CB125F. It's registered, insured and delivered. (I'll post a couple of pics from my phone soon.)

Pics .

Actually, FFS unknown server error when trying to upload .😡😡 

Any hints on the his error?

2 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Good on you!

I started on a Honda CBF 125, continued to ride exactly how I was instructed on the CBT and when it came the time for the big bike lessons/tests it was extremely straightforward. The only thing to really learn was getting to grips with the extra power and weight. 

It's a good way of doing it rather than straight on in to a big bike. Sure, you *could* go straight in and pass... but.... 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Good on you!

I started on a Honda CBF 125, continued to ride exactly how I was instructed on the CBT and when it came the time for the big bike lessons/tests it was extremely straightforward. The only thing to really learn was getting to grips with the extra power and weight. 

It's a good way of doing it rather than straight on in to a big bike. Sure, you *could* go straight in and pass... but.... 

I passed my test in the olden days (1980) on a Honda CD175 when you could still ride a 250 on L plates but thats enough of history.

Best advice I could give to muldoon is practice defensive riding in town, 2 fingers covering your brake and clutch at all times, they really are out to get you.