JKB motorbike thread

wibble

I bought this old wreck a few years ago.

4340176218_ded61072d8.jpg

It now looks more like this (though it now has Koni shockies on the back):

4608436880_9a2812fd66.jpg

It's a 1981 Yamaha XS1100 - so 30 yrs old this year. Was one of the big bikes of my yoof and was the first 4-cylinder bike that Yamaha produced. Their need for a success in the 1000cc plus field was such that they over-engineered everything on the XS1100-so there are still quite lot of them around. It weighs a ton, but it fairly shifts and can pull a sidecar or a trailer with ease.

There are some great owners websites and they have helped make sure that I have been able to do all the maintenance and upkeep myself.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• muldoon74

• Doctor FinnBarr

• jb102

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ellie0028

Yip very nice.

Im helping my Dad restore a 1953 AJS.

Well when I say help,Im buying the parts online for him :whistling:

Doctor FinnBarr

Get a sidecar fitted to it, takes riding to a more "interesting" ride!

:whistling:

I'll just make do with my ratty GS1000 (30 YO as well), don't even have any decent pics and prob couldn't remember how to post them even if I did.

:turned:

kawasakijambo

My first bike was an Yamaha XS250 bought from Ernie Paige.

My second was a Suzuki GS1000EN bought from Chatham Polwarth, that got nicked. Bought a GS750 off ma mate that got nicked, gave up with bikes for 20 years.

Bought a GPX600 in 2003 gave it to my nephew.

Now have a Kawasaki ZX7R and a VN800 Classic, just got back from the into the valley rally in East Yorkshire yesterday, took the 800 with me.

post-12285-0-04206900-1304329276_thumb.jpg

ellie0028

The AJS is in bits just now but the parts are looking braw

I'll get some photo's taken :thumbsup:

Wow, Fourcandles - that is awesome. thumbsup.gif

Dennis - I also left bikes alone for about 10-12yrs with moving country and having kids. Delighted to be back riding and loving having an oldie to tinker on.

Bikerjambo - you are from Blackburn eh? There's a guy in Blackburn has 3 XS1100's - name is Gus McLean I think. Do you know him?

Doctor FinnBarr

Wow, Fourcandles - that is awesome. thumbsup.gif

Dennis - I also left bikes alone for about 10-12yrs with moving country and having kids. Delighted to be back riding and loving having an oldie to tinker on.

Bikerjambo - you are from Blackburn eh? There's a guy in Blackburn has 3 XS1100's - name is Gus McLean I think. Do you know him?

Name doesn't ring a bell and offhand I can't remember seeing an xs11 around.

:huh:

[/b]

Name doesn't ring a bell and offhand I can't remember seeing an xs11 around.

:huh:

Ah, well. He's about our age, so if you see him around say hello. He has a sidecar for sale at the moment - I thought you might know him.

Get some pics up of your GS and sidecar.

• 2 weeks later...
Doctor FinnBarr

Ah, well. He's about our age, so if you see him around say hello. He has a sidecar for sale at the moment - I thought you might know him.

Get some pics up of your GS and sidecar.

Found a pic, just going to try now......

Nope, the cleverness of posting pics has left me!

Edited by bikerjambo

• 4 years later...

Sold my car recently and I've decided I want to get started in the world of motorbikes. Problem is I don?t have a clue about them in the slightest. All that I know is they look cool and I want one.

My understanding is that you need to pass a CBT test (practical only) first and that will allow you to drive low-powered motorbikes.

Then if you want to ride something more powerful you need to pass a full motorcycle test (practical and theory), correct?

1. Where in Edinburgh does a CBT? Do you need any prior experience before doing this or do they teach you all the basics?

2. Once you?ve completed your CBT and want to do the full motorcycle test, can you do the test straight away as soon as you?ve passed your CBT?

3. I have around 4.5k saved up; will I be able to get a relatively decent powered motorbike for that value? Again I don?t have much knowledge on the brands / types of motorbikes so any guidance on that would be appreciated.

FWIW, I currently hold a full driving license and have been driving for the past two years.

Cheers.

You are correct in your understanding mate.

1. Go to Saltire Suzuki in gorgie.

2 wheels at cameron toll or city school at seafield. They all do cbt tests. Roughly ?130? You will do basics, manoeuvres etc in the car park then a couple of hours on the road. Once you pass you can drive a 125cc ( it's actually a certain bhp, you can get a more powerful bike with an inhibitor which can be removed on passing the full test)

2. You can sit a 2day direct access course straight onto the bigger bikes. Not checked in a while - prob more like ?800. Theory is about ?40 . I'm guessing now !

3. You can pick up a second hand bike easily. Low road tax and insurance for bikes too. I actually ken of a nice yellow Yamaha xj600 goin for about half that. [emoji6]

There's quite a few bikers in here , who will hopefully be along with advice. Shop around though.

Spare no expense on a good helmet! Be safe and good luck, it's a great way to travel ( not at this time of year tho!) [emoji106] edit- it will also make you a better car driver too

Edited by Egg Shen

Another recommendation for Saltire out near Chesser. Sat my full test with them. Great.

No danger you can or should go from cbt to full licence in 2 days. Also for your full licence you need to do a mod 1 (slow control) and a mod 2 (road riding) tests.

Sold my car recently and I've decided I want to get started in the world of motorbikes. Problem is I don?t have a clue about them in the slightest. All that I know is they look cool and I want one.

May look cool but bloody sore when you come off one mate.

Used to have a Suzuki X7 (250cc) back in the late 70's, when I was a daft 17 year old, mental days back then. 

(Anybody else remember the X7 or those hideous Yamaha water cooled RD's with the radiator at the front.)

Used to have a Suzuki X7 (250cc) back in the late 70's, when I was a daft 17 year old, mental days back then. 

(Anybody else remember the X7 or those hideous Yamaha water cooled RD's with the radiator at the front.)

Certainly do .......twas a 2 stroke like the Kawasaki KH250 that I had (nearly bought an X7) , a seriously cool triple back then (1979) with twin pipes on one side and one on the other... 

Still got a triple funnily enough,  a 1050 Triumph speed triple,......the adrenalin rush & grin factor at warp9 is hard to understand for non-bikers

:tiny:  :tiny:  :tiny:

I'm not a sport biker by nature; I prefer the styling of Cafe Racer type, older looking bikes however recently road a modern sports bike for the first time...

WOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHHH :wow: I think i'd kill myself on one if I was to ride that all the time. Wasn't even a struggle to hit 70-80 in 2nd.

Certainly do .......twas a 2 stroke like the Kawasaki KH250 that I had (nearly bought an X7) , a seriously cool triple back then (1979) with twin pipes on one side and one on the other... 

Still got a triple funnily enough,  a 1050 Triumph speed triple,......the adrenalin rush & grin factor at warp9 is hard to understand for non-bikers

:tiny:  :tiny:  :tiny:

Only ever had a shot on one of them once (Kawasaki, a green one) preferred it to the Yam RD250 and as for the Super dream slow as ****, one of my mates had a super dream, big heavy things (4 stroke).

IIRC out of the 4 250's around in about 1978/79 when I had the X7 there was the Honda Super Dream, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250 & the Suzuki X7, the X7 was slightly the fastest I think, followed by the Yam & Kawa and as for the Super Dream it's top end was I think 98mph but it took forever for it to get up to it.   I got 102mph out of mine along the Leadburn road once, young and daft, those were the days.

Not been on a bike in years and years now.

Recently done CBT at the seafield place (was excellent instruction) intention being I could ride a 125cc Vespa, which I am now!

Got,the bug though and fancy doing bike test and then moving from scooter to bike.

Previous poster mentioned the costs for licensing - they cover this when doing the CBT.

Psychedelicropcircle

You can do an A license which allows you to drive bikes upto 33 BHP. Then after two yrs you have a full license to drive wot-Eva BHP bike.

IMO if it's wheels are bigger than 10" it's a c**torcycle

C0980F96-AF75-46FF-AB7C-925517EB365E_zps

andsoitbegins

As others have touched on, you definitely want to knock about on a 33bhp for a bit to get an understanding of how to ride (you can get some quite quick wee runners up to 250cc).  Big bikes are brilliant fun, but the acceleration and handling are ridiculous for a less experienced rider.  Fuel and road tax are really low as well, so it's a massive bonus.  As a new rider, you are probably going to drop or dang your bike on something so definitely hold off buying something with the ?4.5k for now. 

I knackered my knee a few years back in a crash so I've not been able to ride since :(

highlandjambo3

YESSS.......had an RD250 when 18 and could ride about on a provisional then.  When the downgraded to 125's for provisional i had to get rid...........did come off the feker as well...............hung up my helmet until I was45 the done CBT folowed by 2 days training and passed.......ran about on a yam XVS 1200...great bike

Cheers guys, some good info.

What sort of price am I looking at for a a second-hand 125cc bike?

About a grand or so.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Started off with a CBT and a Peugeot Speedfight scooter.

That lasted about 6 months until I wanted a bigger bike and to be able to go places other than just commute. Did my 3 days direct access I think it was called then. As I was over 30 I could get straight on a big bike. Bought a Honda CBR 600 after passing my test, chopped that in for a Yamaha R6, then a Fireblade (too daft and too small) In between bought a KTM Supermoto that was so much fun in London traffic. Sold them all when I moved back to Edinburgh as its a bit boring going out on your own. 

Looking to get an old Beemer next year to do a bit of touring Europe with the missus.

I did my CBT in February and got me bike in April. I'd recommend knocking about on a 125 for a bit before going for a bigger bike. Just so you get used to

A. The state the roads are in and

B. How bad most drivers are when it comes to spotting bikes.

I'll, hopefully be moving up a bit in a year but loving it. (not in this weather mind)

Here's my baby. Big and heavy for a 125 but comfortable.

11412295_1182174561808531_30280701689584

Edited by Jamhammer

Love bikes threads.

I'm 41 and have wanted a bike for years, however every time I've had the cash to do my Direct Access somethings gonen wrong with car or family and I've had to spend it.

A DAS will set u back about 600-800 quid depending on where you do it and if it includes CBT. Like people have said There's plenty choice in Edinburgh, even the surrounding area as Livingston/Blackburn has the highly rate Lothian Motorcycle Training and Bathgate/Falkirk has Jim Allens. Again highly rated by most who I know have used them. (Done my CBT in 2003 with JA and it was first class.. unfortunately it has lapsed now.) I'll be using one of these two next year when I'm down to a weight my wife will allow me to get a bike with.. (I visited my brother in Ripon for the Scotland/USA game in september. He has 4 bikes.. A KTM 990 Supermoto he says is the best bike he's ever had, an early 90's Kawasaki zxr 750, a suzuki dr400 he uses for greenlaning and a yamaha 750 project bike he's building a cafe racer out of... my point is that I couldn't get my leg over the kwaka.. gutted and a bit of a wake up to my physical shape!)..

I'm not going the 125 route because I'll get bored after a couple of months and 125's are proportionatley more expensive because they are more saught after by new riders. Also 125's being ridden by new riders, any decent priced ones have most likely been dropped and had the neck wrung out of of the them..

I'll be looking for maybe one of the new CB500 range from honda.. very excellently priced and excellent reviews from people I know and the industry in general (google cb500 reviews and the likes of Bike magazine etc all have high praise for them)..

A reasonable priced Suzuki 600 bandit  (ie under 1000) isn't out the question. The market is awash with decently priced mid range bikes.

Even insurance is quite incredibly reasonable. I got quotes for a CBR600 (priced at 1500) fully comp, date of test pass "yesterday" for UNDER 200quid. My car is over 400 and its a Y reg.

After I passed my CBT I bought my lid and a jacket. A very nice Heine Gerick leather blouson, black, red and white.. size 40in chest (no offer of 100 ono refused ;) ). My lid was 120 from same shop a very nice HJC dennis the menace, acu gold standard.. (still boxed, never worn in anger.. again 100 ono ;) ).. I didnt post this to flog my kit but might aswell take the opportunity! ;) I can buy more kit when I get a bike..

I'd love to post on here along the lines of... "going for a blast to the Green Welly tomorrow, leaving Livingston BP Deer Park at 08:00, anyone up for it?".. It's the biker way.. can't wait to do this type of thing. 

andsoitbegins

If you're going for a mid level bike try a Street Triple. You will never want to ride another bike again.

Edited by andsoitbegins

If you're going for a mid level bike try a Street Triple. You will never want to ride another bike again.

Street triple is a Fantastic bike - mines a Speed Triple - though for the extra cc's (1050 instead of 675) its not much different in performance - though the low rev grunt is a lot better as you'd expect I suppose, it a good job the missus does know how much I've spent on custom parts....

http://media2.jpg

http://media6.jpg

http://media3.jpg

Miss biking a lot, I did cbt and direct access over five days in Kirkcaldy about 12 years ago. Had a nice Suzuki bandit 600 in the garage and luckily passed my test first time. Loved the bandit for 2 months then wanted something bigger and faster so bought a Yamaha trx850 supersport which was awesome apart from the amount of back tyres it ate and the noise from the twin Art race cans which woke the neighbours up when i was leaving for work early. 2 years on that and then my dream bike Laverda 750 supersport which i had for 6 weeks before returning as it broke down three times in the rain (italian wiring). changed it for a Fireblade and promptly crashed it 6 days later after locking the front end and high siding (own fault). Broken leg, ankle, ribs, wrist and thumb, wrecked leathers, helmet, boots and gloves and ?1000 of damage to the bike. Had to fork out for the repairs but house insurance covered all the new kit.

Rode it for about four or five years after accident before a fatality to close to home saw me sell it. Toyed with the idea of buying another one in the Summer there after having a go on mates R1 only to be told my bags would be at the front door if i wanted one.

Don't let this put you off and my only advice is do not buy cheap kit, my injuries were pretty bad but they would have been much worse had i been wearing substandard kit. I spent ?1000 on boots, leathers, gloves and boots. My Direct access course cost around ?600 (12 years ago) first bike ?2000. not cheap to get going in the world of biking but great fun. if you have no experience of bikes i would suggest doing CBT and then run about on a 125 for 6 months before committing to direct access cause it is a big expense if its not for you.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping up this old thread, when I posted way back then the AjS was in bits.

Took a good couple of years to finsh, for the last year or so it never came out the garage. 

I came over today to visit my dad and the bike was out in all her glory! 

My dad is now restoring an old VW camper van!  

I have zero knowledge when it comes to motors n stuff I cant answer any questions lol

it might be a long time in posting but isnt she a thing of beauty! 

3E2BFC3E-FC72-46F8-B49C-A9576CB4799A.jpeg

BD6F197A-C2FD-473F-A5AA-8625B4BECC86.jpeg

874E6F85-3518-4B6A-8683-976B53E27EF1.jpeg

That's a stunning bike ellie.

I got my first bike back in 1983 and only had it a year, a 125cc Honda Superdream from Chathams and always had a hankering to get another but never got round to it.

Until last year that is when I bought myself another 125cc. a Honda Varadero to see if I still enjoyed it, passed my test a couple of months ago and got my first big boy's bike, another Honda, this time a CBR600F. I'm absolutely loving it :)

Mid life crises (sp) can be good sometimes.  :thumbsup: 

29543321_10155252057935918_1994419736817809309_n.jpg

Edited by graygo

Jambo-Jimbo

Not in the same league as most of you guys & girls, but had one of these beauties back in 1978 when I was a mad 17 yr old.

image.thumb.jpeg.061a5b3aa9928a196f0849e41ed1d411.jpeg

The White Cockade

Bike rally at the TT Grandstand on the Isle of Man a few years ago

I really want one of these but not unless I win the lottery!!

Image may contain: motorcycle, shoes and outdoor

18 hours ago, graygo said:

That's a stunning bike ellie.

I got my first bike back in 1983 and only had it a year, a 125cc Honda Superdream from Chathams and always had a hankering to get another but never got round to it.

Until last year that is when I bought myself another 125cc. a Honda Varadero to see if I still enjoyed it, passed my test a couple of months ago and got my first big boy's bike, another Honda, this time a CBR600F. I'm absolutely loving it :)

Mid life crises (sp) can be good sometimes.  :thumbsup: 

29543321_10155252057935918_1994419736817809309_n.jpg

All these bike look pretty, that’s pretty much all I can say lol

anyway to quote my dad yesterday after I showed him the replies “I’m not the petrol head I used to be ( he is 70) I just enjoy fixing thing up and tinkering!”

The bike came to him in a bits but just at the right time as my mum was really ill and this was his escape. Then after my mum passed away he threw himself into getting the bike up and running..

He said he might sell the bike as he hasn’t been going out on it and now he has the old vw camper van to fix up, that’s taking up all his time and giving him a major headache, a new engine went in, hasn’t went to plan....( don’t ask me why not lol) 

I do hope he doesn’t sell the bike, it’s part of him

16 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Mines the other day in Perthshire 

B0EB200B-5C62-4EFF-B93B-DFFBDCA3F866.jpeg

Outside the box Spacey?

Nothing wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, Angry Haggis said:

I have a Scooter - are Scooters allowed in this thread? 

Size isn’t everything. 

I’m sure you have heard. 

I bought a 1956 AJS at Rossleighs in Lothian Road. Had never been on one and the salesman gave me a few hints and I got on and took off. It was quite different to the one on the picture that has been restored. It had a dual saddle, the headlight was moulded around the handlebars, and had two wee sidelights on it, front and rear telescopic suspension, black with gold trim. I had lots of fun on that bike, when off for the weekend would take off Sunday morning, head for Kinlochleven to visit relatives, and open the throttle in Glencoe and enjoy speed. I took one long trip to London, had an early misfortune, a seagull let go its bowels and the debris hit me on the chest at about 60mph, left a stain forever on my leather jacket. Got into London at rush hour spent an interminable time going round Trafalgar Square frightened to change lanes at the speed every one was driving.

The pleasures and great joy of the AJS came to an end like many of my other pleasures when I met my soon to be wife who put a stop to them. I guess on reflection with a 60 year relationship I got better mileage out of her than I would have from a 1956 AJS.,

Space Mackerel
3 hours ago, jb102 said:

Outside the box Spacey?

Nothing wrong with that. 

Worlds biggest disabled bay there, about the size of a single decker! 

I'm about to buy a Sinnis Hoodlum from lucky 13 in Bathgate. Most bikers I know are telling me not to, one or two saying go for it. Just need a cheap commuter and like the style and price. Had a really nice Yamaha MT125 that was nicked last month. Only got me CBT. (Jessie biker)

Image result for sinnis hoodlum image

53 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I'm about to buy a Sinnis Hoodlum from lucky 13 in Bathgate. Most bikers I know are telling me not to, one or two saying go for it. Just need a cheap commuter and like the style and price. Had a really nice Yamaha MT125 that was nicked last month. Only got me CBT. (Jessie biker)

Image result for sinnis hoodlum image

Looks the biz for a learner with experience as you seem to be.. 

I remember that thread "Chinese motorbikes".. 

I think the styling is actually quite cool on most of them.. 

I love these old bikes. Particular the Yamaha's. A lot of my mates had the unrestricted FS1E 50cc and went like stink. They did a couple of retro's on 700 and 900cc models a couple of years ago

Beautiful thingImage result for yamaha xsr900 images

Image result for YAMAHA FS1E IMAGES