Game of Thrones

Peebo

Thought the second episode was great. Loving the tension between the 2 families and the acting is brilliant. Can't stand the Prince though.

Apart from Supernatural this is the only show on TV I'm now looking forward too every week.

I know you've not given anything away here Riley so this isn't aimed at you but could we only discuss the details of episodes once it has been shown on the Monday night in the UK?

Happy for teasers like Riley above and the Hollyoaks ****** comnent but just take care not to spoil anything for us Brits who are 24 hours behind!

(Not so much thinking of myself here as I know what's going to happen from the novel.)

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the First & Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in the 1980's. The first 3 are outstanding, the next 3 (Set thousands of years later) harder work. I've re-read them several times and still like them. Very dark books, Covenant is bitter and hates his life and the hand he has been dealt, he also almost refuses to accept that what is happening is real, to the point that one of his actions when he is transported to this other world is to rape the first woman he meets. His missing fingers and White Gold wedding ring denote him as the reincarnation of one of the lands past heroes though so they fete him regardless of how badly he acts.

Great stuff, the only series from the 80's I like better is Julian Mays fantasy/scifi cross The Many Coloured Land - would love to see HBO lavish some money on that.

Thanks for the insight Primavera.

It's definitely on my 'to read' list.

An excellent read.

Are you up to date with the WoT books Craig?

The penultimate book was excellent and I think they have done a good job continuing in Jordan's style.

Dean Winchester

I know you've not given anything away here Riley so this isn't aimed at you but could we only discuss the details of episodes once it has been shown on the Monday night in the UK?

Happy for teasers like Riley above and the Hollyoaks ****** comnent but just take care not to spoil anything for us Brits who are 24 hours behind!

(Not so much thinking of myself here as I know what's going to happen from the novel.)

Didn't even realise they where showing it in the UK so quickly. That used to downloading shows the morning after it's been shown in the US :whistling:

Didn't even realise they where showing it in the UK so quickly. That used to downloading shows the morning after it's been shown in the US :whistling:

Yeah, me too bud.

Normally download Survivor, Apprentice and The Office the day after they are shown in the States and used to do the same with Lost and Heroes.

Haven't no. One of my mates raves about the Dark Tower series...however even he didnt rate the last couple much. And as for Robert Jordan, yes that is another series I wish to read at some point. The fact that he died early and other people are writing the new ones seems a bit weird to me. Both I will get round to at some point. The problem is the wife now works in publishing and is constantly throwing books at me and telling me to read them - and her recommendations are always superb so to get stuck into another series I'll need to do it on holiday sometime.

The other series I want to read is the Steven Erikson one. I read the first one "Gardens of the Moon" and thought it was fairly average, but a few of my friends have told me to get into the others as they are fantastic from the second book on.

Please PM me when you are finished with Game of Thrones...I would enjoy hearing your reaction to the end :ninja:

Robert Jordan wrote all the books, it was only the 14th and final installment that was outstanding. He'd written pretty much most of the notes and outlines and had actually started on the writing proper before he passed away. Although the final book has been split into 3 seperate books, it is only being written by Brandon Sanderson from Jordans notes. I started reading the first book Brandon wrote and it failed to capture my imagination in the same way as the rest of WoT did, but then that was prior to my op so may have had more to do with me than the writing. I'll wait until the final book is published before picking that up again, I've invested too much time reading the series to leave it where it is.

The Thomas Covenant series is a fantastic and dark read, however I found the Gap series by Donaldson to be much better

Robert Jordan wrote all the books, it was only the 14th and final installment that was outstanding. He'd written pretty much most of the notes and outlines and had actually started on the writing proper before he passed away. Although the final book has been split into 3 seperate books, it is only being written by Brandon Sanderson from Jordans notes. I started reading the first book Brandon wrote and it failed to capture my imagination in the same way as the rest of WoT did, but then that was prior to my op so may have had more to do with me than the writing. I'll wait until the final book is published before picking that up again, I've invested too much time reading the series to leave it where it is.

The Thomas Covenant series is a fantastic and dark read, however I found the Gap series by Donaldson to be much better

Jordan wrote the first eleven books and had begun the twelth and final book when he passed away.

Brandon decided to split the twelth book into a trilogy which now means it will be 14 altogether.

You should give book 12 another go bud. I really enjoyed it and while their is a difference in style I found it to be a positive change and feel Brandon wastes less time describing the detail in the Aes Sedai outfits etc.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Thomas Covenant too. I will hopefully get around to it one day.

BTW. What was your op and how did it affect your opinion on the book? (if you don't mind me asking)

Interesting you should say that. I was given The Gap series to read about 4 years ago by someone who'd read both sets and felt the same as you do. While I enjoyed it I found it a bit light by comparison, the Space Opera style reminded me of EE Doc Smith who I loved as a teenager but would probably struggle to stick with now.

I could imagine The Gap series movie-ing up in a similar vein to Starship Trooper. As a real fan of Heinlein I was surprised how well it worked because despite being a bit of a fascist he is one of the more thought-provoking (With regard to the human condition) sci-fi writers and the film could have been done so much differently - if I made a Heinlein movie it would likely turn out more like Gattaca <_<

Interesting you should say that. I was given The Gap series to read about 4 years ago by someone who'd read both sets and felt the same as you do. While I enjoyed it I found it a bit light by comparison, the Space Opera style reminded me of EE Doc Smith who I loved as a teenager but would probably struggle to stick with now.

I could imagine The Gap series movie-ing up in a similar vein to Starship Trooper. As a real fan of Heinlein I was surprised how well it worked because despite being a bit of a fascist he is one of the more thought-provoking (With regard to the human condition) sci-fi writers and the film could have been done so much differently - if I made a Heinlein movie it would likely turn out more like Gattaca <_<

So is The Gap more of a sci-fi series then?

Not sure I fancy it as much now, not a big fan of science fiction books tbh.

Jamboinparis

Second episode watched and it was a beezer! Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is fantastic.

"What, me, celibate? The whores would go begging from Dorne to Casterly Rock. No, I just want to stand on top of the Wall and piss off the edge of the world."

Dean Winchester

Second episode watched and it was a beezer! Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is fantastic.

"What, me, celibate? The whores would go begging from Dorne to Casterly Rock. No, I just want to stand on top of the Wall and piss off the edge of the world."

He is a great actor. First seen him in Nip/Tuck and thought he was good in that also.

Happy for teasers like ...the Hollyoaks ****** comnent

Which was removed for some reason! I thought I was doing everyone a service...

Which was removed for some reason! I thought I was doing everyone a service...

Funny you should say that as I was just looking for that exact quote so I could reply to it.

Just finished watching second episode, really enjoyed it.

The queen and her son do an excellent job of making you hate their characters.

As for the Hollyoaks content...hopefully be seeing a lot more of Roxanne McKee in the weeks ahead! :wink:

Funny you should say that as I was just looking for that exact quote so I could reply to it.

As for the Hollyoaks content...hopefully be seeing a lot more of Roxanne McKee in the weeks ahead! :wink:

I'd like to think so...but I fear she'll get her throat slit in the next episode, or something like that...

Dean Winchester

I fully expect the Prince to be murdered at some point. He's far too much of a prick to be kept alive... Whether this is down to good acting or me just not liking the actor as a person I can't quite decide...

Couldn't help but feel a great sense of "That's your own fault" for Stark's daughter though when she realised her dire wolf would be the one to be killed. This scene has really drawn me into it and how the tension between the Starks and the Lannister's is obviously going to heat up considerably especially with Brann's awakening/attempted murder.

I fully expect the Prince to be murdered at some point. He's far too much of a prick to be kept alive... Whether this is down to good acting or me just not liking the actor as a person I can't quite decide...

Couldn't help but feel a great sense of "That's your own fault" for Stark's daughter though when she realised her dire wolf would be the one to be killed. This scene has really drawn me into it and how the tension between the Starks and the Lannister's is obviously going to heat up considerably especially with Brann's awakening/attempted murder.

Totally agree. The phrase "serves you right" sprung to mind when the queen ordered the death of her wolf.

It was an excellent scene, they really are doing a fantastic job of capturing the tension of the book.

The only gripe I still have though is with the dialogue being hard to follow. If I wasn't reading the book I would have missed some important elements.

So is The Gap more of a sci-fi series then?

Not sure I fancy it as much now, not a big fan of science fiction books tbh.

The Gap is pure sci-fi and The Thomas Covenant novels are pure fantasy. Although both series take on big worlds they are very different in style really apart from Donaldsons ever-present examination of human frailty & redemption.

Dean Winchester

The only gripe I still have though is with the dialogue being hard to follow. If I wasn't reading the book I would have missed some important elements.

Such as? I haven't read the books so I really couldn't tell if there is anything I've missed out on. I plan to get them on the girlfriends Kindle after my exams are done next week and blast through them before the new one is out in July.

Such as? I haven't read the books so I really couldn't tell if there is anything I've missed out on. I plan to get them on the girlfriends Kindle after my exams are done next week and blast through them before the new one is out in July.

There's just a few characters who are hard to make out, Jon Snow and Robb Stark being the worst offenders.

Dean Winchester

There's just a few characters who are hard to make out, Jon Snow and Robb Stark being the worst offenders.

Jon Snow is the ******* I know and I think Robb Stark was the one who takes up the mantle of Lord of the North once Eddard was made hand of the King?

I can see what you mean though as I know who Brann, Aryiana(sp?), Robb and Jon are but I can't think of the names of the other 2.

I take it the prince is actually the son of the Queen / twin brother and Jon Snow is the Channel4 guy that does the news? :D

Or...of course he's the son of Stark's sister and the previous king? Given why he has Stark blood but not the name and it was touched upon that the old king did something to the sister? Maybe she died in childbirth? I wouldn't think he's the kid of the current king...but instead needed to be protected by Stark given he could take back the crown and would therefore need to be killed by the current king.

Just my tuppence. Not read the books. Cracking watch though.

I take it the prince is actually the son of the Queen / twin brother and Jon Snow is the Channel4 guy that does the news? :D

Or...of course he's the son of Stark's sister and the previous king? Given why he has Stark blood but not the name and it was touched upon that the old king did something to the sister? Maybe she died in childbirth? I wouldn't think he's the kid of the current king...but instead needed to be protected by Stark given he could take back the crown and would therefore need to be killed by the current king.

Just my tuppence. Not read the books. Cracking watch though.

Stark's sister didn't die in childbirth though.

She was held hostage by the previous King and murdered by Rhaegar.

Interesting theory though.

I'm intrigued by why Stark doesn't want to talk about Jon's mother too. Haven't read far enough in the book to get an answer yet.

The Doctor

Watched the third episode tonight and am loving this show. The acting is top notch and the tension builds brilliantly.

Never thought I'd enjoy Sean Bean in anything. Can't wait to see him battle Targaryen and take his blonde head clean off!

cosanostra

Watched the third episode tonight and am loving this show. The acting is top notch and the tension builds brilliantly.

Never thought I'd enjoy Sean Bean in anything. Can't wait to see him battle Targaryen and take his blonde head clean off!

Sean Bean was amazing in LOTR as well.

The fantasy genre just suits him.

Was great. Kal...was in Stargate Atlantis aye? Kalissa...hubba hubba ;)

Looking forward to when the white warriors really kick it off, they seem a bit mental.

Dean Winchester

Yeah he played Ronin in SG:A and bulked up bigtime for the new Conan movie and Game of Thrones

Good to see Aidan Gillen and Iain Glen getting decent sized parts in this.

Glen was fantastic as the father in Anne Franks Diary and Gillen was great in The Wire.

Interesting third episode. Moving slow but building up the tension nicely, just like the book. :thumbsup:

Episode 4 was excellent too!

Tyrion Lannister is fast becoming the star of the show.

(apart from Roxanne McKee that is! phwoar!!!)

:whistling:

Dean Winchester

He is a superb actor. Stealing the show.

Hope to see more shenannigans between Roxanne McKee and the blonde chick :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chaka Demus & pliers

Thought her chebs would have been better tbh

Jamboinparis

Absolutely loving this. I'm especially loving the new, not-in-the-book scenes. Adds something fresh while remaining true to the story.

Next episode is going to be an absolutely bangin one I reckon.

For those that have read the books, do you something find yourself saying "No! Dont do that you idiot! You've ruined everything!" ?

Dean Winchester

I seriously hope the little girl Arye kills that Joffrey. Would please me greatly :whistling:

Will start reading the books this weekend as well :thumbsup:

i'd heard the term "game of thrones" mentioned and i seriously thought it was a game you played on the loo. like a competition to see who could do the biggest jobby.

was shocked to see it appear on the telly

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly finished the first book and the sh1t is hitting the mediaeval fan!

Some cracking episodes coming up where it all goes down! :thumbsup:

The Doctor

Haven't read the books, but I have followed the TV series and after a slow couple of episodes, although always entertaining and well acted, it's really picking up. The last two episodes have been outstanding.

Not sure how to do spoilers, but lets just say that the 'crowning' in the last episode was most satisfying!

fabienleclerq

Are the books called" a game of thrones" been watching the tv series, it's good but the books are always better.

Haven't read the books, but I have followed the TV series and after a slow couple of episodes, although always entertaining and well acted, it's really picking up. The last two episodes have been outstanding.

Not sure how to do spoilers, but lets just say that the 'crowning' in the last episode was most satisfying!

Loved that part. Was looking forward to seeing how they did it after reading about it.

:thumbsup:

Isaac Clarke

:thumbsup:

It's a secret

ninja.gif

Just type spoiler in [ ] and /spoiler in [ ] with your hidden text between thumbsup.gif

rossthejambo

That bit was great. Fully deserved as well.

Easily the best program on TV just now IMO. :thumbsup:

Firstly, i just like to echo that Game of Thrones is indeed another top show from the lads and lassies at HBO. The books are excellent as well.

Now, onto the fantasy writers. Very pleased that Julian May and Donaldson both been mentioned on this thread, top quality stuff. I can't however, believe that no one has mentioned possibly the greatest modern fantasy writer, Mr David Gemmell, sadly no longer with us. If you haven't read him yet, start with Legend, awesome book, complex characters, lots of grey as opposed to black and white. Pretty much every book he wrote is excellent.

slashishere

The last two episodes of this have been amazing, I'm so glad I decided to watch this now, its gearning up to get even bloodier by looks of things.

Shame there is only 10 episodes this season.

That bit was great. Fully deserved as well.

Easily the best program on TV just now IMO. :thumbsup:

I agree it's very good, but personally it's my second favourite programme the now (on US TV). Part of a Sunday night double header with The Killing (US version) which is the best thing I have seen in a long, long time.

Konrad von Carstein

I'm halfway through the first book of this and it has grabbed me right from the start.

I was thinking of downloading the TV series, but, as I don't have the channel was wondering if it has finished yet. I can download to episode 6 and don't want to download half a story.

Any help gratefully received. :)

Also posted to gauge peoples opinion on the series.

Nicholas Brody

Not finished yet but has been brilliant so far. I find it a bit tricky to keep up with all the characters at times but other than that it's spot on imo. On HBO every Sunday I think. 10 episodes for this season so only another 4 to go.

Konrad von Carstein

Thanks man, will wait till it ends and watch it in a oner (similar to what I did with the Walking Dead) :thumbsup:

Thanks man, will wait till it ends and watch it in a oner (similar to what I did with the Walking Dead) :thumbsup:

Just finished the first book, great stuff!

There's a discussion thread a couple of pages down the Shed with lots of chat on GoT. :thumbsup:

Archived