Game of Thrones

Peebo

Starts tonight on HBO, think it starts tomorrow on Sky back in Blighty.

Rather excited about this. :thumbsup:

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah starts tonight here tonight already got it Sky+

Started downloading the first 4 episodes of Camelot as well as that is also meant to be really good.Stars Joseph Fiennes and Eva Green.

rossthejambo

Got it Sky+ed, looks like it will be pretty decent, getting some good reviews as well.

Watched this last night and thought it was great! Some great bloody scenes on it as well especially the boy getting his napper chopped off!!!

Jamboinparis

The books are superb and can be highly recommended!

Books are absolutely amazing yes. As you might have guessed from the first episode (I don't know havent seen it yet) it isnt your standard goodies v baddies type fantasy crap. New book out this summer...finally!

The temptation to download the episode is very tough to resist, but I am trying to save as many as possible so I can watch them in a row.

Books are absolutely amazing yes. As you might have guessed from the first episode (I don't know havent seen it yet) it isnt your standard goodies v baddies type fantasy crap. New book out this summer...finally!

The temptation to download the episode is very tough to resist, but I am trying to save as many as possible so I can watch them in a row.

Enjoyed the first episode so went out and bought the first book in the series.

Been looking for another series of books to get into as I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Tower series by Stephen King and the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan.

Have read about a quarter of the book so far and the scale is massive. So many different cities and complex families and intermarriages between households. Thank goodness for the maps and the appendix!

First episode was almost word for word with the book. Hope they stick as close from here on in.

Been looking for another series of books to get into as I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Tower series by Stephen King and the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan.

Have read about a quarter of the book so far and the scale is massive. So many different cities and complex families and intermarriages between households. Thank goodness for the maps and the appendix!

First episode was almost word for word with the book. Hope they stick as close from here on in.

Exactly the same situation as myself mate, although I started reading the book before the first episode. Half way through the book and enjoying it. :thumbsup:

Exactly the same situation as myself mate, although I started reading the book before the first episode. Half way through the book and enjoying it. :thumbsup:

The more I read the more into it I get.

Are you finding it complex? Hard to track everything which is going on!

Dean Winchester

Second series confirmed by HBO! :thumbsup:

Sheesh. Ratings for the first episode must have been through the roof.

The first episode was interesting, so I think it should be a good series.

I found it difficult to follow in places, which wasn't helped by the strong English accents. In that respect, at times it was a bit like Coronation Street with horses. :blink:

American accents would have been better. :duck::peepwall:

Sheesh. Ratings for the first episode must have been through the roof.

Must have been. Got loads of great reviews from the critics.

I found it difficult to follow in places, which wasn't helped by the strong English accents. In that respect, at times it was a bit like Coronation Street with horses. :blink:

I did too and actually turned the subtitles on after five minutes to find there were none!

Dean Winchester

I followed it quite well I think with the only bit I was confused about was the end as I'm not quite sure on the relationship between the two.

I followed it quite well I think with the only bit I was confused about was the end as I'm not quite sure on the relationship between the two.

I wasn't clear on that until I read the book.

It is King Robert's wife and her twin brother who are at it!!!!

Alright. I thought it was her stepson. That makes it even worse!

Alright. I thought it was her stepson. That makes it even worse!

Quite a bit of incestuous goings on if you include the odd relationship between the blonde brother and sister too!

Dean Winchester

Ok wasn't too far off then. I knew it was the Queen but I thought it was her son/stepson.

Jamboinparis

Glad you are enjoying it mate - you are reading at a very good time. The latest book (which Ive been waiting for since 2005!) is finally due out in the summer, book number 5. However he's been writing the series since the 1990s! Hopefully some HBO pressure will get him working faster now on the final two books.

I used to read a lot of fantasy...then I realised most of it was the same old unoriginal crap. Martin is totally different IMO. The world he has created is so intricate and the politics so complex that I couldnt help but be sucked in. Keep me updated on what you think of the series (of books).

Incidentally...Ive caved in already and watched the first episode! Fantastic! Obviously there are things which you see differently in your minds eye, but it is a fantastic adaptation and I cant wait wait to see more.

I thought the first episode was ok obviously going to be a builder but I thought some of the acting was total shit especially the exiled King with the white hair.

Glad you are enjoying it mate - you are reading at a very good time. The latest book (which Ive been waiting for since 2005!) is finally due out in the summer, book number 5. However he's been writing the series since the 1990s! Hopefully some HBO pressure will get him working faster now on the final two books.

I used to read a lot of fantasy...then I realised most of it was the same old unoriginal crap. Martin is totally different IMO. The world he has created is so intricate and the politics so complex that I couldnt help but be sucked in. Keep me updated on what you think of the series (of books).

Incidentally...Ive caved in already and watched the first episode! Fantastic! Obviously there are things which you see differently in your minds eye, but it is a fantastic adaptation and I cant wait wait to see more.

Have you read the Tower series by Stephen King or the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan?

Chris Benoit

Have you read the Tower series by Stephen King or the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan?

I gave up on the Dark Tower it just ended up rambling on with no structure and since heard the ending and it was a total cop out

I gave up on the Dark Tower it just ended up rambling on with no structure and since heard the ending and it was a total cop out

I loved the series but agree that the ending was very disappointing.

The books are being made into a film and then TV series. Pretty sure Ron Howard is attached IIRC.

And King is writing a new novel which fits between books 3 and 4.

Chris Benoit

Have you read the Talisman and Dark House it was a collaboration between King and Peter Straub and is part based in the lands from the Dark Tower series, iirc Roland even gets a mention far better novels all round.

Have you read the Talisman and Dark House it was a collaboration between King and Peter Straub and is part based in the lands from the Dark Tower series, iirc Roland even gets a mention far better novels all round.

I've heard of it but never read it.

To be honest I don't read a lot of King's novels. I feel his writing style is better suited to the short story genre. I loved Skeleton Crew, Nightmares and Dreamscapesand Night Shift and still reread them every couple of years.

I don't think his writing has the same edge to it since the accident. Something missing imo. (love how he incorporated it into the Dark Tower though!)

The Straub collaboration sounds interesting. I'll move onto that once I've finished with Game of Thrones. :thumbsup:

Chris Benoit

Definitely do that like I said it doesn't read like a Stephen King book and is much better structured stories, Talisman is pt1 Black House part 2 with 3 as yet unwritten :(

Definitely do that like I said it doesn't read like a Stephen King book and is much better structured stories, Talisman is pt1 Black House part 2 with 3 as yet unwritten :(

Have you tried the Wheel of Time books?

My ex's dad used to always recommend the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant books. Something about a leper who has superpowers in an alternative universe. Read a while back it was becoming a movie too.

Chris Benoit

My ex's dad used to always recommend the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant books. Something about a leper who has superpowers in an alternative universe. Read a while back it was becoming a movie too.

Not but I'm really needing something new to read or I'm going to end up working my way through the wifes twilight books :yucky:

Not but I'm really needing something new to read or I'm going to end up working my way through the wifes twilight books :yucky:

I would recommend the WOT books but I would add that opinion of them is mixed. The first four were excellent, the middle five were a little dull while last three or four have been the best yet imo.the final book is released next year.

If you've not already read them then I 100% recommend King's short story books, particularly Night Shift and Skeleton Crew. Many movies have come from these stories (Children of the corn, Salems Lot, the Mangler to name just a few)

If you try the Thomas Covenant books let me know how you get on with them.

The Talisman is a GREAT book.

Chris Benoit

The Talisman is a GREAT book.

I love it, along with Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz my favourite books of all time.

The more I read the more into it I get.

Are you finding it complex? Hard to track everything which is going on!

I'm not particularly finding the main plot complex, but I am finding it hard to keep up with the characters as there seems to be a lot of them and I sometimes find myself having to go back to remember the first time they were introduced. It is getting easier though the more I progress through the book. :thumbsup:

I'm not particularly finding the main plot complex, but I am finding it hard to keep up with the characters as there seems to be a lot of them and I sometimes find myself having to go back to remember the first time they were introduced. It is getting easier though the more I progress through the book. :thumbsup:

Yeah, the family trees at the back of the book come in handy.

One thing I'm still not sure about is where are Dany and Viserys? It says they are in a place called Pentos but it doesn't appear on any of the maps.

Jamboinparis

Haven't no. One of my mates raves about the Dark Tower series...however even he didnt rate the last couple much. And as for Robert Jordan, yes that is another series I wish to read at some point. The fact that he died early and other people are writing the new ones seems a bit weird to me. Both I will get round to at some point. The problem is the wife now works in publishing and is constantly throwing books at me and telling me to read them - and her recommendations are always superb so to get stuck into another series I'll need to do it on holiday sometime.

The other series I want to read is the Steven Erikson one. I read the first one "Gardens of the Moon" and thought it was fairly average, but a few of my friends have told me to get into the others as they are fantastic from the second book on.

Please PM me when you are finished with Game of Thrones...I would enjoy hearing your reaction to the end :ninja:

Haven't no. One of my mates raves about the Dark Tower series...however even he didnt rate the last couple much. And as for Robert Jordan, yes that is another series I wish to read at some point. The fact that he died early and other people are writing the new ones seems a bit weird to me. Both I will get round to at some point. The problem is the wife now works in publishing and is constantly throwing books at me and telling me to read them - and her recommendations are always superb so to get stuck into another series I'll need to do it on holiday sometime.

The other series I want to read is the Steven Erikson one. I read the first one "Gardens of the Moon" and thought it was fairly average, but a few of my friends have told me to get into the others as they are fantastic from the second book on.

Please PM me when you are finished with Game of Thrones...I would enjoy hearing your reaction to the end :ninja:

Will do bud. :thumbsup:

Jamboinparis

One thing I'm still not sure about is where are Dany and Viserys? It says they are in a place called Pentos but it doesn't appear on any of the maps.

Pentos is "across the narrow sea", which is east of King's Landing. It is one of the Free Cities, which you will hear about more over time. Basically they are city states which are not in any particular kingdom themselves. Unfortunately there isn't a map to date with the Free Cities shown, although the title sequence from the show gives a good indication of where Pentos is.

PS. Thats not a spoiler post - theres no great reveal that that is where they are!

Pentos is "across the narrow sea", which is east of King's Landing. It is one of the Free Cities, which you will hear about more over time. Basically they are city states which are not in any particular kingdom themselves. Unfortunately there isn't a map to date with the Free Cities shown, although the title sequence from the show gives a good indication of where Pentos is.

PS. Thats not a spoiler post - theres no great reveal that that is where they are!

Thanks for this. :thumbsup:

:ninja:

I Knew nothing about this. I'll check it when I get home :blink:

There's a map on the HBO website that shows every city and has nice details about them.

It also explains the family trees and character backgrounds.

Really enjoyed this so thanks for the heads up. My interest in fantasy has been reawakened by the Kindle I got for Christmas, read all of Robin Hobb & on the 4th of Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series.

I have all of Martins Game of Thrones books too but cant decide whether to read them now, or enjoy the series then read them once its finished.

Jambof3tornado

The 1st episode was brilliant,anyone know how many episodes are in the series?

Theres an iphone app for 59p I think that gives background on families and maps etc.

An excellent read.

I read the First & Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in the 1980's. The first 3 are outstanding, the next 3 (Set thousands of years later) harder work. I've re-read them several times and still like them. Very dark books, Covenant is bitter and hates his life and the hand he has been dealt, he also almost refuses to accept that what is happening is real, to the point that one of his actions when he is transported to this other world is to rape the first woman he meets. His missing fingers and White Gold wedding ring denote him as the reincarnation of one of the lands past heroes though so they fete him regardless of how badly he acts.

Great stuff, the only series from the 80's I like better is Julian Mays fantasy/scifi cross The Many Coloured Land - would love to see HBO lavish some money on that.

Dean Winchester

Thought the second episode was great. Loving the tension between the 2 families and the acting is brilliant. Can't stand the Prince though.

Apart from Supernatural this is the only show on TV I'm now looking forward too every week.

Archived