Zalukas - Time and Time Again - Lets us Down (Merged Threads)

Howdy Doody Jambo

Howdy Doody Jambo

How many games points and games does Zalukas cost us , his basic defending decision making and concentration is so poor

He is not Captain material and we should be looking for alternative centre halfs for next season

This is the straw that breaks the cammels back

Every game he makes subtle mistakes most go unpunished due to the poor quality of the SPL opposition

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rudi must stay

That's the one thing he doesn't have mate, but tbh if he had it he'd be at a much better club than us.

For every game he fecks up he plays well in 5 - typical over-reaction thread this...

It was a harsh yellow, and we all know Brines will take any opportunity to send off an Hearts player - it all dates from him having to climb down after his sending off of Takis to help Celtic. Now he just takes every chance he gets and refuses to reverse his decision even when patently wrong like at the Zal-Miller headbutt incident at Pittodrie. He is a crap, ridiculously over-officious referee.

Although it was tailor made for Brines to show the red, it was daft.

The black guy probobly would have wasted his chance as well.

Nonsense thread. Zal is one of the best defenders in the league but has always shown he will take the option of a professional foul. I would rather he just let Sodje have the chance, he would probably miss.

For every game he fecks up he plays well in 5 - typical over-reaction thread this...

It was a harsh yellow, and we all know Brines will take any opportunity to send off an Hearts player - it all dates from him having to climb down after his sending off of Takis to help Celtic. Now he just takes every chance he gets and refuses to reverse his decision even when patently wrong like at the Zal-Miller headbutt incident at Pittodrie. He is a crap, ridiculously over-officious referee.

Yip. I'd agree.

It was a yellow at best. A shoulder barge and we're punished twice. The red card and the penalty.

Brines is a welt of the highest order. A typical cop.

Vlad-Stupid

**news just in, unprecidented levels of spontaneous knee jerking across the Lothians**

:vrface:

Tynecastle Valhalla

i rather he just stopped taking players out and actually went for the ball.

if he does that i would like him to stay

was wondering how long it would take for someone to want our best defender to get to feck, it is a split second decision and he made the wrong choice, but he is far from being a "passenger"

Thunderstruck

How many games points and games does Zalukas cost us , his basic defending decision making and concentration is so poor

He is not Captain material and we should be looking for alternative centre halfs for next season

This is the straw that breaks the cammels back

Every game he makes subtle mistakes most go unpunished due to the poor quality of the SPL opposition

It defies any sort of logic that anyone watching the game could take enough time out to submit the above while play rages on. Even worse that it is baseless tripe.

I think he is a very god player and we missed him a lot when he was out, but he does have moments of madness like today.

gashauskis9

Calm doon!!!!

You could tell by the look on his face that he knew he'd let us down. Stupid decision to make, but he had to make it. He was probably more surprised about the colour of the card.

He'll make it up to us again, as always.

Not even convinced it was a penalty. Ridiculously soft red card. Couldn't have seen the Hibs huddy scoring either !!!

Worst challenge of the game was Scott's on Ian Black

boy_in_maroon

Nonsense thread. Zal is one of the best defenders in the league but has always shown he will take the option of a professional foul. I would rather he just let Sodje have the chance, he would probably miss.

one of the best defenders in the league? :whistling: never, zal is the best defender called, Marius Zaliukas :yucky:

QUITE RIGHT :(

Zal is a bombscare and is rubbish!

He got sent off ffs!!!! Strip thi sman of captaincy and make him train with the u19's until the end of the season before we move him along. Its not like he has played well at all for us after all.:rolleyes:

FFS PEOPLE, HE MADE A MISTAKE IN A DERBY - GET A ******* GRIP.

Oh and this is - another - example of the OPs (or should that be 'Come on the Herz') Hobo credentials.

colinmaroon

Although it was tailor made for Brines to show the red, it was daft.

The black guy probobly would have wasted his chance as well.

It wasn't a chance though!

The ball was going through to Macdonald and Sodgje was never getting there!

BobbyJenkins

Calm down folks, yes he made a mistake and it cost us...but lets not go over the top eh.

Bert Le Clos

Seif_knee%20anatomy01.jpgjerk2.jpg

I'd like examples please how how he has continually let us down this season?

colinmaroon

As I said on the Webster thread:

AW was immense today! He was garbage v St Mirren!

MZ was immense earlier in the season! He was garbage today!

Never mind, it's much easier when you have an agenda!

You know, you keep quiet when the one you don't "support" makes no mistakes and then eviscerate them when they do!

Well, I'll just continue to support Zal and Webster as long as they're wearing maroon; criticiise where criticism is due but, stick with them.

I'm so ******* pissed off with him for today, but it was a stupid mistake, generally I don't have a problem with him.

Have to say that the goalie had it covered. Zal totally arsed up and should have left it. Would Webster have made the same mistake or Bouzid?

He makes these mistakes very often though, wrong choice or misplaced ball, there is a reason he is our most carded player.

If Bouzid is off in the summer, time for McGowan to step up or for us to dump them all and bring in someone fresh to play alongside Webster.

colinmaroon

I'm so ******* pissed off with him today, but it was a stupid mistake, generally I don't have a problem with him.

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

Sensible post alert!

Francis Albert

Have to say that the goalie had it covered. Zal totally arsed up and should have left it. Would Webster have made the same mistake or Bouzid?

He makes these mistakes very often though, wrong choice or misplaced ball, there is a reason he is our most carded player.

If Bouzid is off in the summer, time for McGowan to step up or for us to dump them all and bring in someone fresh to play alongside Webster.

Webster was great today, but did you count how many mistakes he made in the first half hour of the St Mirren game, all of them leading to goals or clear chances?

Johanes de Silentio

If an identical incident had happened at the other end, I'd have been screaming for a penalty and a red card - the guy was never going to score, but it was a goal-scoring opportunity.

Routine punt that should have been dealt with, but Zal deliberately barged the boy.

I like Zal, but he let us down today, imo.

Templeton'sUnderpants

I actuall y thought zal was doing well until the silly penalty, was winning everything in the air. Do agree, silly pointless pen to give away.

Zal was playing well today until his push. It was a penalty but never a sending off.

I would like someone to explain how the hobo was meant to get a touch goalwards on it.

Tyrion Lannister

I'm raging at the stupid ****. Don't get me wrong he's been relatively solid this season and ofcourse I'll continue to support him but he really pissed me off today.

Normally, he thankfully gets away with lapses of concentration or pulling his markers shirt at a set piece etc. But unfortunately for us today, he didn't and it arguably cost us two points as we really were all over them with eleven men.

What he was thinking I'll never know.

Teuchterjambo

Dodgy situation for the guy, dodgy decision for any Ref (apart from Brines maybe) but the crucial point is that whilst the guy was falling over in the challenge Zaliukas deliberately threw in another barge - absolutely unvelievable thing to do in the situation and just suicidal and gave Brines the green light to dispatch him.

How many times will we be asked to forgive these horrendous decisions he makes ?

:down:

Zal was strolling it today, he was caught out of position once and made the wrong decision. Sh*t happens.

He'll save us more than he costs us. The one good thing to come out of it is that Webster seemed to enjoy the extra responsibilty and raised this game accordingly.

john brownlee

Imo

It was a necessary pen to give away but in the heat of the moment and real time I expect He had no choice but go at the hobo. but in reality Zal maybe should have just tracked him and let the hobo make the decision, I doubt he would have scored.

Maybe even worst Mac might have been forced to bring the hobo down, and then he would have got the red.

But watching it on the replay there was no way the hobo was going to get the ball never mind score.

Under the circumstances happy with a draw.

aaaa fleck I'm not. But honestly how bad are they.

on reflection a pen and a yellow

dose not detract from the fact that Zal is one of the best centre halves in the SPL. and I like him in my team, It may have been missed, but when he was out of the team we had some of our worst results this season.

colinmaroon

Dodgy situation for the guy, dodgy decision for any Ref (apart from Brines maybe) but the crucial point is that whilst the guy was falling over in the challenge Zaliukas deliberately threw in another barge - absolutely unvelievable thing to do in the situation and just suicidal and gave Brines the green light to dispatch him.

How many times will we be asked to forgive these horrendous decisions he makes ?

:down:

70 x 7

Drylaw Hearts

Imo

It was a necessary pen to give away but in the heat of the moment and real time I expect He had no choice but go at the hobo. but in reality Zal maybe should have just tracked him and let the hobo make the decision, I doubt he would have scored.

Maybe even worst Mac might have been forced to bring the hobo down, and then he would have got the red.

But watching it on the replay there was no way the hobo was going to get the ball never mind score.

Under the circumstances happy with a draw.

aaaa fleck I'm not. But honestly how bad are they.

on reflection a pen and a yellow

dose not detract from the fact that Zal is one of the best centre halves in the SPL. and I like him in my team, It may have been missed, but when he was out of the team we had some of our worst results this season.

Utter nonsense.

It was only 35 minutes into the game and we were by far the better team. Losing a goal would not have been a complete disaster.

Massive overreaction a la kickback

Sit down Shut up

This is one of the dumbest posts in one of the dumbest threads I've seen for a while.

How exactly is it an over-reaction a'la kickback? We have 5'000 active members and one of them chooses to start a disaster of a thread and is mostly ridiculed for it but yet this represents all of kickback? How does that work?

As for the thread, get a grip mate. I can only assume it was a spur of the moment outburst while you were feeling emotional. Zal has been excellent this season and is doing a fine job as captain. His discipline has been fine and he's scored the odd goal. He's come on leaps and bounds especially with his on-field behaviour and he was playing superbly alongside Andy Webster until the penalty moment.

These things happen in football so it's best not to get all hysterical and start threads as bad as this one.

Zal was playing well today until his push. It was a penalty but never a sending off.

I would like someone to explain how the hobo was meant to get a touch goalwards on it.

This.

Never a sending off but an liability for making the challenge.

This is one of the dumbest posts in one of the dumbest threads I've seen for a while.

How exactly is it an over-reaction a'la kickback? We have 5'000 active members and one of them chooses to start a disaster of a thread and is mostly ridiculed for it but yet this represents all of kickback? How does that work?

As for the thread, get a grip mate. I can only assume it was a spur of the moment outburst while you were feeling emotional. Zal has been excellent this season and is doing a fine job as captain. His discipline has been fine and he's scored the odd goal. He's come on leaps and bounds especially with his on-field behaviour and he was playing superbly alongside Andy Webster until the penalty moment.

These things happen in football so it's best not to get all hysterical and start threads as bad as this one.

lets not get all high and mighty here.

it was a shocking piece of defending both leading up to the pen and his attempt to recover from his positioning.

big zal also has previous in hairbrained defensive lapses and did he cost us 2 points today? on the evidence of the 1st 30 mins you have to say yes.

so lets not shoot the guy down for getting over his point of view,like an earlier poster on the thread said if he didn't have these unbelievably bad brainfade moments he would be playing at a better level.the guy is a decent enough defender but a bomb scare to boot,its fact thats all..........

i like zal, he's had a good season but he cost us 2points today imo. could not believe it when it happened. i think we done pretty well to come away with a point despite having 10 men for over an hour. great finish from 2 T's!

it was a shocking piece of defending both leading up to the pen and his attempt to recover from his positioning.

big zal also has previous in hairbrained defensive lapses and did he cost us 2 points today? on the evidence of the 1st 30 mins you have to say yes.

so lets not shoot the guy down for getting over his point of view,like an earlier poster on the thread said if he didn't have these unbelievably bad brainfade moments he would be playing at a better level.the guy is a decent enough defender but a bomb scare to boot,its fact thats all..........

He wasn't just talking about todays lapse though, was he?

"his basic defending decision making and concentration is so poor

He is not Captain material and we should be looking for alternative centre halfs for next season."

That's as absurdly over the top a post as i've ever seen.

As for your comment "if he didn't have these unbelievably bad brainfade moments he would be playing at a better level" - we're Hearts, not Real Madrid. Zal and Webster are probably the best central defenders in the league outside of the Old Firm and sometimes, on their day, they're better. Zal's as good as we can afford and if we do get better, they'll move on quickly like Naysmith or Berra.

As I said, lapses like that happen to the best defenders in the business. Remember Vidic's nightmare against Liverpool? Getting hysterical and turning on our club captain is really not helpful.

Ray Winstone

Can't believe he didn't just let that Donkey have a shot on goal........

I think MacDonald dithering made up Brines' mind for him although I thought he was getting to the ball first so should have only been a booking for Zal anyway.

Bert Le Clos

Lets not also talk rubbish though.

Nobody is saying Zal is world class. He used to make a lot of silly errors due to lapses in concentration however he's largely eradicated these from his game.

The truth is his errors now tend to be few and far between, but because of how he played when he first arrived we get the "he makes too many stupid mistakes he's a bombscare" line trotted out.

All players make the odd mistake. Zal makes the odd mistake, but not half as many as certain people on here would have you believe. He's good enough to play for Hearts and he's good enough to be captain. If we can sign someone better within our budget then brilliant. But I think if you offered Zaliukas to the majority of teams in the SPL they would take him with open arms.

On a good day, which he has more often than a bad day, he's one of the best defenders in the league. Remember who was playing in defence when we went on our winning streak and hardly ever conceded? He make a bad mistake today, but in general he saves us more points than he costs us.

Lets not also talk rubbish though.

Nobody is saying Zal is world class. He used to make a lot of silly errors due to lapses in concentration however he's largely eradicated these from his game.

The truth is his errors now tend to be few and far between, but because of how he played when he first arrived we get the "he makes too many stupid mistakes he's a bombscare" line trotted out.

All players make the odd mistake. Zal makes the odd mistake, but not half as many as certain people on here would have you believe. He's good enough to play for Hearts and he's good enough to be captain. If we can sign someone better within our budget then brilliant. But I think if you offered Zaliukas to the majority of teams in the SPL they would take him with open arms.

On a good day, which he has more often than a bad day, he's one of the best defenders in the league. Remember who was playing in defence when we went on our winning streak and hardly ever conceded? He make a bad mistake today, but in general he saves us more points than he costs us.

This :thumbsup:

portobellojambo1

Can't believe he didn't just let that Donkey have a shot on goal........

I think MacDonald dithering made up Brines' mind for him although I thought he was getting to the ball first so should have only been a booking for Zal anyway.

This, although I accept you have to make spur of the moment decisions. However as a defender and given his previous history with today's referee (and also taking into account some of the woeful attempts they'd already had) his decision on this occasion should have been to let play run. The worst that could have happened was they would have scored, it would have been 1-1 and the game would have restarted with 11 Hearts players still on the park. By making the wrong decision he got sent off, they scored and we restarted with 10 men, and had to give up a lot of possession to them 2nd half. McDonald has to accept part of the blame though as he stayed put on his line and could have intercepted the through ball if he had reacted quicker.

I think the situation we have in central defence is that we have two players in Andy Webster and Marius Zaliukas who I'd class as sweepers, rather than a centre half and sweeper. When on the park they are too similar. After Zaliukas was sent off Webster went on to both command and organise the defence, so much so that he came out for the 2nd half with the captain's armband, and throughout produced an absolutely superb performance.

After Jason Thomson came on Ismael Bouzid moved into central defence, and with a traditional centre half/sweeper combination we looked solid, and Bouzid also did very well.

Going forward we need to maintain the centre half/sweeper combination and in terms of choice it is between Zaliukas and Webster for the sweeper position. Today proved again it is a no contest, Andy Webster was and still is a better central defender than Marius Zaliukas will ever be, plus he is a much better organiser of the back line (something I suspect he learned from playing alongside Steven Pressley). If we can find a better centre half already at the club or bring in one better than Bouzid that would be a further boost

Zaliukas has done not a bad job for us, he has improved a great deal since arriving, but it is an undeniable fact that in virtually every game you sit waiting on a moment of lunacy, and if sacrificing him benefits the team then so be it (although I suspect he will leave in the Summer anyway so there may be no decisions that have to be made).

i've always been a big zaliukas fan but that was just stupid. not befitting of how a club captain should play. just rank bad thinking.

not to be replaced yet but JJ should rip feck out of him.

Bert Le Clos

Zaliukas has done not a bad job for us, he has improved a great deal since arriving, but it is an undeniable fact that in virtually every game you sit waiting on a moment of lunacy, and if sacrificing him benefits the team then so be it (although I suspect he will leave in the Summer anyway so there may be no decisions that have to be made).

I don't though. Not anymore. I'm actually quite comfortable watching Zaliuaks now as his mistakes are much more seldom.

And I think he can play well with Webster. They just need time to play together to work out which of them should be stepping out to win balls and who should be covering. Remember they've hardly played together, in time I think they could go on to be the best defensive partnership in the league.

shaun.lawson

I think Zal is a top man and, at this level, a quality player. I also think he had about half a second to react earlier: anyone who thinks that's easy should try it sometime. There was nothing cynical or pre-meditated about it: he just got caught for, as I said, half a second.

All game long, I felt the bounce of the ball just wasn't with us. Chances missed, a pen not given, Zal off (rightly) for something more unlucky than anything else, Vaz Te with a poor first touch but beating MacDonald by a split second. Yet still we got a result - and that's a great tribute to the spirit and resolve of the team.

Mistakes happen. They're part of the game. This constant need to find an individual scapegoat whenever we don't win does my head in. Football is about heart, gut, fight, and how a team responds to adversity; and today, we did so superbly well. That's why we're where we are; and they're where they are. And on today's evidence, that ain't going to change any time soon.

Archived