Zalukas - Time and Time Again - Lets us Down (Merged Threads)

Howdy Doody Jambo

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is Zal's first red card this season.

It is.

He also went all of last season without seeing red.

Punting him is oer the top, but the management hae decide who is the primary and who is sweeper. If there is any debate among the players then it's clear wh would have to go.

Re Zal's marks yesterday, from operating off a basic 6, which seem the standard then you work either way from there, he loses 2 marks for the sheer stupidity of the sending off and then another point for it being the second time he was on the wrong side of his marker during the game.

he's a good player, but that's about his 4th shocking error at Easter Road. he shouldn't have went near Sodje, who looks like he couldn't find the net with google maps.

was a harsh red card though, I don't think Sodje could have got to the ball.

was wondering how long it would take for someone to want our best defender to get to feck, it is a split second decision and he made the wrong choice, but he is far from being a "passenger"

webster is head and shoulders above zal...as best defender

heartsfc_fan

Zal was strolling through the game up to this point. My first reaction was no foul (we get "fouls" like this every game ffs!) I still haven't changed my mind, it's pretty harsh IMO.

Shame for Zal because he's been decent this season and appears to have cut the cr*p out of his game.

The Treasurer

I'm not going to get into any arguments about this but I thought I'd just add my tuppence worth.

Zal made a big mistake yesterday with his positioning, once he found himself in that position he had two options,

stand back and hope for the best (hobo would miss) or dive in and hope for the best (Brines wouldn't give a penalty)

Either way he shouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

We all know he has a tendancy to produce those "Zal moments" from time to time.

He is a very good defender but until he cuts out those lapses he'll never be a great defender.

As for "getting rid" that is just plain knee-jerk nonsense.

its amazing what you think you see at the game and how it differs on the highlights.

I thought the ball was almost in Mcdonalds hands and that zal had merely collided with the hobo player. having now watched it time and time again I cannot really argue with the knob of a refs decision albeit it it was one of the few things he got right. Zal switched off and took the player out and the was still a chance the hobo would have got to it prior to Macdonald who had good saves during the match but didnt cover himself with glory for the second and this was a similar situation. Brines didnt do us Zal did.

As far as the reaction to it he is a frustrating player but the good outways the bad IMO and he can be consistant then suddenly error badly, he took his eye off the player for a second and lost the ball over him and had another second to make which turned out to be a bad decision. If he had taken sodje out and nothing resulted we would have cheered him, I have long felt he is not a natural captain though and dare I say it Webster is more captain material but he shouldnt be captain. what we suffer from is the lack of a Hartley or a Pressley at the moment but hopefully someone will rise to the challenge. I would not change my opinion on Zal merely due to this.

On the more positive side we had Kello, Jonsson, Wallace, Skacel, Suso, Kyle, Wrowiec all missing and would argue most would have started in our best 11 so the hubz couldnt beat our reserves when down to ten men, I am more disappointed at only taking 7 from 9 from that bunch of sheeit

winston churchill

and thats what sticks in zals craw.

he's not kicked a ball since mr webster has come in and has started bossing him around.

anybody who thinks that zal is not a hothead and prone to the odd boo boo is barking at the moon.

Zal was strolling through the game up to this point. My first reaction was no foul (we get "fouls" like this every game ffs!) I still haven't changed my mind, it's pretty harsh IMO.

Shame for Zal because he's been decent this season and appears to have cut the cr*p out of his game.

He got caught on the wrong side of Sodje earlier in the game with a regulation high ball.

And you would have to have the most maroon tinted specs on in the world not to realise that was a stone wall penalty. And for anyone that was standing to the right of MacDonlad's left hand post would have spotted him give Sodje a look, before blatantly and stupidly barging in to him. As JamboJen mentioned earlier in the game it's something he does regulalry, only not quite as blatant. And I've no problem himdoing that near corner flags, bye lines or well up the pitch where it's not as dangerous as in the pen box.

Also I don't think we get fouls like that in every game. Or if there are, they are penalised.

It's a bit like the hobos or anyone complaining about Thornhill's tackle on Thomson being harsh. Sorry but again, the refs and administrators have made it clear that being over aggresive in the tackle, will be a foul irrespective of the ball being played or not.

And quite right too. Holden being out for 6 months at Bolton completelely vindicates the stance on over aggresive tackling.

rossthejambo

**** me, some people just couldn't wait for a moment like this to come judging by some of the posts on this thread.

Let's just clear one thing up, should never have been a red card. Sodje was nowhere near the ball and he'd have performed a minor miracle getting the ball never mind getting a shot on goal, therefore it's not a goal scoring opportunity.

Zaliukas has been outstanding this season, this IIRC is his first real dodgy moment of the season (I'd quite like to hear of others if there has been). He was absolutely strolling through the game yesterday, Sodje was in his back pocket.

People even suggesting that he isn't in the top 5 defenders in the league have a serious chip on their shoulder when it comes to Zal.

I rate them both neither are perfect. Its only two weeks ago many on here were bemoaning Webster and how easily he got turned by Higdon v St Midden for there second. He was calm under pressure yesterday but there may be a a case for suggesting they dont naturally gel together

Francis Albert

and thats what sticks in zals craw.

he's not kicked a ball since mr webster has come in and has started bossing him around.

anybody who thinks that zal is not a hothead and prone to the odd boo boo is barking at the moon.

Mr Zaliukas was vastly superior to Mr Webster against St. Mirren.

Guest Dipped Flake

It was a definite penalty and a definite red card, just can't see how anyone can argue against that but it's all about opinions.. As for getting rid of Zla, utter rubbish. He is generally a very good defender but he does have the odd mad moment. Surely it is better for our management team to work on eliminating these moments from his game so we end up with a great defender

Penalty-yes

red card-unfortunately yes(JKB would have went into melt down had it been at the other end with no sending off)

Unbelievably bad defending-yes

Sorry Zal but you made a complete pigs ear of it.

As for Brines,well he really had no option,probably got most of the big decisions correct although if he has seen a replay of the tackle on Black he would more than likely sent scott off as well.

Should have had the game sown up after 30 minutes,but hey hoe we didn't get beat and it was a cracking game.

rossthejambo

It was a definite penalty and a definite red card, just can't see how anyone can argue against that but it's all about opinions.. As for getting rid of Zla, utter rubbish. He is generally a very good defender but he does have the odd mad moment. Surely it is better for our management team to work on eliminating these moments from his game so we end up with a great defender

Penalty-yes

red card-unfortunately yes(JKB would have went into melt down had it been at the other end with no sending off)

Unbelievably bad defending-yes

Sorry Zal but you made a complete pigs ear of it.

As for Brines,well he really had no option,probably got most of the big decisions correct although if he has seen a replay of the tackle on Black he would more than likely sent scott off as well.

Should have had the game sown up after 30 minutes,but hey hoe we didn't get beat and it was a cracking game.

Red card would have been a fair call had it actually been a goal scoring opportunity. Sodje was never in a million years getting that ball, therefore no goalscoring opportunity. That's the rules.

Vidic only got booked for that very reason, only difference between the 2 incidents were that Vidic's challenge was outside the box (and that that game was officiated by a competent official).

Big Man cost us 2 points yesterday.

I suspect we won't see him next season - hence why the Diamond deal is pretty much done.

rossthejambo

I suspect we won't see him next season - hence why the Diamond deal is pretty much done.

:what:

After yesterday, I'd much rather we gave Bouzid a new deal and stuck him beside Webster for next year than bring Diamond in, although I think I'd rather anything than sign Diamond

:vrface:

Red card would have been a fair call had it actually been a goal scoring opportunity. Sodje was never in a million years getting that ball, therefore no goalscoring opportunity. That's the rules.

Vidic only got booked for that very reason, only difference between the 2 incidents were that Vidic's challenge was outside the box (and that that game was officiated by a competent official).

Oh dear,the ball landed no more than 3 feet form him,regardless of how crap the player is,it was still a clear goal scoring operchancity.

**** me, some people just couldn't wait for a moment like this to come judging by some of the posts on this thread.

Let's just clear one thing up, should never have been a red card. Sodje was nowhere near the ball and he'd have performed a minor miracle getting the ball never mind getting a shot on goal, therefore it's not a goal scoring opportunity.

Zaliukas has been outstanding this season, this IIRC is his first real dodgy moment of the season (I'd quite like to hear of others if there has been). He was absolutely strolling through the game yesterday, Sodje was in his back pocket.

People even suggesting that he isn't in the top 5 defenders in the league have a serious chip on their shoulder when it comes to Zal.

If it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity then why would Zaliukas go barging into him.

He obviously thought it was.

So it's no surprise the referee did too.

I like Zaliukas but he made a royal ***** of it yesterday.

rossthejambo

Oh dear,the ball landed no more than 3 feet form him,regardless of how crap the player is,it was still a clear goal scoring operchancity.

Totally disagree, that ball bounced straight into MacDonald's arms.

If it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity then why would Zaliukas go barging into him.

He obviously thought it was.

So it's no surprise the referee did too.

I like Zaliukas but he made a royal ***** of it yesterday.

Because Zaliukas had an arsehole moment, I'm not saying he didn't make a complete baws up of it, it was stupidity and I'm not defending him one bit. But I genuinely can't see how Sodje would have got that ball. Seen it numerous times, the ball was bouncing high and into the arms of Macdonald,

So if Sodje wasn't getting it, how could it have been a goalscoring opportunity?

At the time of the incident, from where I was sat I thought Zal was unlucky as it was just a coming together.

However, having just watched Sportscene, he deliberately took Sodje out and it was a deserved red card.

Shocking decision making by Zal which could very well have cost us the game. I still believe it cost us 2 points, and JJ should punish him further.

Why he does that sort of nonsense at times is beyond me. What a clown.

Totally disagree, that ball bounced straight into MacDonald's arms.

Because Zaliukas had an arsehole moment, I'm not saying he didn't make a complete baws up of it, it was stupidity and I'm not defending him one bit. But I genuinely can't see how Sodje would have got that ball. Seen it numerous times, the ball was bouncing high and into the arms of Macdonald,

So if Sodje wasn't getting it, how could it have been a goalscoring opportunity?

Zaliukas in his mind was trying to stop a goalscoring opportunity.

Whether it was one or not is almost irrelevant IMO.

I'd have been very disappointed if this happened up the other end and the outcome was any different.

rossthejambo

I'd have been very disappointed if this happened up the other end and the outcome was any different.

I don't doubt this was the case, but I think it is very relevant whether it actually was a goalscoring opportunity or not.

I didn't realise the rules were supposed to be interpreted by what's going on in players' minds.

Francis Albert

So the rule is it's a red card if the defender intends to stop a goal scoring opportunity even if there isn't one?

Clerry Jambo

Get in! :thumbsup:

SanliHearts

he is a good defender but sadly can cost us with daft tackles as we saw today, def not captain material armband should be handed to webby IMO, him and pal were outstanding yesterday.

Francis Albert

I don't doubt this was the case, but I think it is very relevant whether it actually was a goalscoring opportunity or not.

I didn't realise the rules were supposed to be interpreted by what's going on in players' minds.

This might explain Brines red for Zal at Pittodrie. Perhaps he read Zal's mind and saw he intended to head butt the Aberdeen defender.

The Treasurer

Get in! :thumbsup:

CJ please tell me you are only joking in saying you'd rather see diamond in the team than Zal ohmy.gif

It's clear from watching the Sportscene highlights that the ball was dropping more or less straight on to Sodje's foot had his stride not been interrupted and that a clear goalscoring opportunity was therefore denied. Jamie Mac would have been nowhere near it. The fact that the ball would thereafter more likely than not have been punted over the Dunbar End or ended up going out for a throw-in can, unfortunately, not be taken into account. Brines got this decision right.

What I am saying is that Zaliukas is trying to barge a player off the ball, the only logical reason he would do this is if it is a goal scoring opportunity.

Therefore when the ref sees this he'll automatically decide it is a red card because all he sees is a player making a rash foul and will assume he did it because it was a good chance for the opponent.

I think it was a hard call for the ref to make and was clinched by the fact that Zaliukas looked before he barged into him rather than it being just a coming together.

I'd have been seething if a red wasn't given if it was the opposite way about.

I'd much rather we gave Bouzid a new deal and stuck him beside Webster for next year than bring Diamond in

That makes 2 of us.

What I am saying is that Zaliukas is trying to barge a player off the ball, the only logical reason he would do this is if it is a goal scoring opportunity.

Therefore when the ref sees this he'll automatically decide it is a red card because all he sees is a player making a rash foul and will assume he did it because it was a good chance for the opponent.

I think it was a hard call for the ref to make and was clinched by the fact that Zaliukas looked before he barged into him rather than it being just a coming together.

I'd have been seething if a red wasn't given if it was the opposite way about.

there was nowt logical about it.

I wouldn't blame Brines for sending him off, because it was such as stupid tackle, but I don't think it should have been a red card because I don't think Sodje would have got to the ball. So whilst Brines was arguably wrong, I can agree with what you're saying. It's a pity the fact Sodje is hopeless doens't play a part in the obvious goalscoring opportunity criteria, because he would probably have brained some mug in the East stand if he'd managed to get the ball.

Rudolf's Mate

Just seen the incident for the first time and what gets me most is that Zal was ahead of the player and favourite to get the ball. He was more content looking at the player!

Correct me if I'm wrong but a decent defender looks where the player is then keeps his eye on the ball? He should know where the player is! Had he kept his eye on the ball he would have been first to it and been able to clear.

End of the day its Brines and Zal gave him the perfect opportunity. Whether it was clear goalscoring or not, Brines was all over it as that is what he loves to do as he's a ******.

It was a pen and also a sending off.

I am reasonable confident that we would have gone onto win the game if Zal had stayed on the

pitch even if they had scored from that chance.

Zal has these brain storms from time to time and thats what lets him down.

Bert Le Clos

I thought it was a penalty, and a red card. I'm not debating it was a horrendous decision by Zal.

However,

I'm still waiting for examples of better centre halfves in the SPL, or within our budget. Somebody earlier promised several more dependable centre halves than him, name them?

And I'm still waiting on the incidents where he has let us down - time and time again - this season? Other than the pass that led to Wllace ballsing up a tackle and commiting a foul which led to a free kick which Hearts didn't defend well and Dundee utd eventually scored from. Because that was clearly 100% Zal's fault, with no other player haveing anything to do with Hearts conceding.

Cut The Crap

Four pages to dissect an incident what was the very definition of a "Zal moment": switch off, lose man, wipe him out in a vain attempt to recover.

In general though he's been much better this season, so to call for him to be binned seems a tad over the top. However, if there's a team out there somewhere willing to slip VR a few roubles for the pleasure of Zal's company next season...

I thought it was a penalty, and a red card. I'm not debating it was a horrendous decision by Zal.

However,

I'm still waiting for examples of better centre halfves in the SPL, or within our budget. Somebody earlier promised several more dependable centre halves than him, name them?

And I'm still waiting on the incidents where he has let us down - time and time again - this season? Other than the pass that led to Wllace ballsing up a tackle and commiting a foul which led to a free kick which Hearts didn't defend well and Dundee utd eventually scored from. Because that was clearly 100% Zal's fault, with no other player haveing anything to do with Hearts conceding.

Aye but the person you are waiting on providing these names is happy about bringing Diamond into replace him.

Says it all.

Sex Panther

I think a lot of people have forgotten how our season improved after his contract renegotiations were sorted and he returned to the team.

Yes, it was stupid and yes I was calling him every name under the sun after the incident. It certainly cost us 3 points, of that there is no doubt. He also gets away with his watch the player, not the ball style of marking from set pieces more often than he should. He was certainly caught out yesterday, arguably because Riordan managed to create a dangerous pass from a ball that was running away from him.

Before hanging him out to dry,cast your mind back to the start of the season and the shambles we were at the back and think about where we would be in the league had he not returned.

over reation thread.

yes penalty, debatable sending off.

he was a numpty for making the challenge, cost us 3 points yesterday but i can't recall him making to many 'big mistakes' this season.

total over reation stating that he needs to be replaced by looking for alternative defenders.

peebles jambo

F.F.S have you forgot the start of the season before big jim got him back in, a must STAY

after yesterday,s performance, do we want/need Zal to stay or go?

After yesterdays performance?

He had Sodje in his back pocket until he got sent off <_<

Archived