Manchester Utd v Arsenal

jambo_

Gigolo-Aunt

Its going to be interesting to see Arsenal's signings in the summer - think that after the move to a new stadium, they are now financially back on track?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Ask someone older than 35.

I have.

It's hardly offensive is it? Just some easy viewing football related. I can't see how it defines a type of fan.

shaun.lawson

Ask someone older than 35.

I'm 32, and think and have always thought it's a complete joke. I know he's not hosted it for years now; but Tim Lovejoy - FFS. :yucky:

I'm 32, and think and have always thought it's a complete joke. I know he's not hosted it for years now; but Tim Lovejoy - FFS. :yucky:

Went downhill since Lovejoy left imo.

Probably the reason it's only on for 2 hours now.

Still good viewing for 10 on a Saturday morning.

shaun.lawson

Its going to be interesting to see Arsenal's signings in the summer - think that after the move to a new stadium, they are now financially back on track?

Hmm...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/28/arsenal-financial-results-loss

It's hardly serious - but this surprised me tbh. Maybe even helps explain a few things?

Gigolo-Aunt

Soccer AM has been pish for a considerable amount of years. Was essential Saturday morning viewing at one point.

Mind you, it was no Football Italia on 4 CH4 on a Saturday morning.

James Richardson with the Gazzeta De La Sport , sipping on a coffee outside a nice cafe.

thumbsup.gif

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I have.

It's hardly offensive is it? Just some easy viewing football related. I can't see how it defines a type of fan.

Ken how they invite groups of fans in to the show? With their replica kits, comedy shirt names and numbers, terrible chat, awful generic rip-off songs and dumbed-down stereotypical LAD FOOTY WKD OI OI behaviour that Sky's had a massive hand in peddling in order to make the sport as commercial as possible? That is embarrassing.

The actual show's not the worst thing in the world.

shaun.lawson

Went downhill since Lovejoy left imo.

Probably the reason it's only on for 2 hours now.

Still good viewing for 10 on a Saturday morning.

I want this back at 10 (or rather, 11) on a Saturday morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOp7J82835Y

:(

EDIT: Ha! G-A got there first! :thumbsup:

Gigolo-Aunt

Hmm...

http://www.guardian....al-results-loss

It's hardly serious - but this surprised me tbh. Maybe even helps explain a few things?

Although its not a huge figure, surprised as well.

With the move to a new stadium, the policy of bringing through promising youngsters rather than paying huge sums of money was perfect timing - or something they had no choice over.

Soccer AM has been pish for a considerable amount of years. Was essential Saturday morning viewing at one point.

James Richardson with the Gazzeta De La Sport , sipping on a coffee outside a nice cafe.

thumbsup.gif

James Richardson's by far the best pundit out there. I wish the BBC would get him on MOTD or something.

Ken how they invite groups of fans in to the show? With their replica kits, comedy shirt names and numbers, terrible chat, awful generic rip-off songs and dumbed-down stereotypical LAD FOOTY WKD OI OI behaviour that Sky's had a massive hand in peddling in order to make the sport as commercial as possible? That is embarrassing.

The actual show's not the worst thing in the world.

I can't think of a club without fans like that really. Maybe radge foreign clubs like Lazio but it's extremely common in Britain.

Gigolo-Aunt

James Richardson's by far the best pundit out there. I wish the BBC would get him on MOTD or something.

I know ESPN do a weekly round up of Italian football - they have missed a trick if he does not present that show.

Top man.

I can't think of a club without fans like that really. Maybe radge foreign clubs like Lazio but it's extremely common in Britain.

I totally agree, every club's infested with folk like that.

All Shaun had to do earlier was post a link to redcafe or something and you'd see the most embarrassing Man United "fans" ever. Worse still than the Irish in jester hats that SSN love to interview outside Old Trafford.

I just don't like the fact that it's common. I don't want a return to the 80s or that but it's just disheartening when most of fans don't really have a clue any more. I've tried to stop myself being so bothered but it's hard.

Just accept it UV. :thumbsup: I wouldn't say guys like that don't have a clue about the game though, they may just be prats.

Anyway, I'd like to know why Shaun describes you as a diehard Man Utd fan? :blink::ermm::unsure:

shaun.lawson

Although its not a huge figure, surprised as well.

With the move to a new stadium, the policy of bringing through promising youngsters rather than paying huge sums of money was perfect timing - or something they had no choice over.

The latter - but in theory, the stadium's supposed to give them far more resources to play with over the years ahead. That's why Arsenal fans should forever be grateful to Wenger: the legacy he'll leave is superb.

Quite a few clubs have surprising financial results, incidentally. Spurs have been a byword for being run prudently for ages - but their debt is shooting upwards. True, so are their revenues; but I can't help wondering what'll happen if they don't finish in the top 4.

thumbsup.gif

Any excuse to show the great man in action. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKbYca--bE0&feature=related

Because Shaun's being nice and flattering to me :)

In reality it's because I have family and friends who go and I occasionally join them whenever I can get a ticket. I'm not at all die-hard though.

shaun.lawson

Just accept it UV. :thumbsup: I wouldn't say guys like that don't have a clue about the game though, they may just be prats.

Anyway, I'd like to know why Shaun describes you as a diehard Man Utd fan? :blink::ermm::unsure:

Diehard's going a bit far. But he's certainly no plastic.

The latter - but in theory, the stadium's supposed to give them far more resources to play with over the years ahead. That's why Arsenal fans should forever be grateful to Wenger: the legacy he'll leave is superb.

Quite a few clubs have surprising financial results, incidentally. Spurs have been a byword for being run prudently for ages - but their debt is shooting upwards. True, so are their revenues; but I can't help wondering what'll happen if they don't finish in the top 4.

I always thought Everton were run well until i heard that they were over 50 million in debt. :o

Spurs could well be the Twitchy Arry effect,every club he goes to has money problems at some point. :whistling:

I totally agree, every club's infested with folk like that.

All Shaun had to do earlier was post a link to redcafe or something and you'd see the most embarrassing Man United "fans" ever. Worse still than the Irish in jester hats that SSN love to interview outside Old Trafford.

I just don't like the fact that it's common. I don't want a return to the 80s or that but it's just disheartening when most of fans don't really have a clue any more. I've tried to stop myself being so bothered but it's hard.

Why don't you go to maybe some of the games up north that arsenal don't sell out because of shit fans and actually meet some of them rather than talking piss mate. I've being to many away games with arsenal and can not see what you are on about ! As for your london comment, thats a joke, please tell me how you came about this nonesense ? I've being loads of other games in london to watch different teams and to generalise a city like london is nonesense ! which ever area you go to will hate someone else, and from my little expereince of working in london, its usually cheski that people i've met have a dislike to.

shaun.lawson

I always thought Everton were run well until i heard that they were over 50 million in debt. :o

Spurs could well be the Twitchy Arry effect,every club he goes to has money problems at some point. :whistling:

Yep. I had assumed Levy wouldn't be so daft to let Harry do it to them too - but who knows? I hope Tottenham are modelling themselves a lot more on Arsenal; a lot less on their forerunners in unexpectedly cracking the CL, Leeds and Newcastle. Because we know how that turned out. :mellow:

tartofmidlothian

I get the impression Spurs are a very well run club, and it's a combination of their adeptness at wheeler-dealing with 'Arry's that's given them success this year.

That said, they're a flash in the pan. He'll get the England job summer after next, and when they sell the likes of Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart this summer they'll struggle to keep up with the current top four and a resurgent Liverpool.

Having said that - could Arsenal be heading for a Liverpool-style slump over the next couple of years?

shaun.lawson

I get the impression Spurs are a very well run club, and it's a combination of their adeptness at wheeler-dealing with 'Arry's that's given them success this year.

That said, they're a flash in the pan. He'll get the England job summer after next, and wehen they sell the likes of Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart this summer they'll struggle to keep up with the current top four and a resurgent Liverpool.

Having said that - could Arsenal be heading for a Liverpool-style slump over the next couple of years?

He'll either get the England job the summer after next - or he'll get a spell at Her Majesty's pleasure this summer. But either way, surely Spurs will then turn to this man?

jurgen-klinsmann_1002183c.jpg

It also remains to be seen whether they sell key players; I can't see them selling VdV so quickly, for example. But like you, I have a hard time seeing how they sustain it without a massively increased stadium capacity; though unlike you, I can't envisage Arsenal collapsing. They're set up for the long term, and especially when UEFA's financial regulations take effect.

Gigolo-Aunt

He'll either get the England job the summer after next - or he'll get a spell at Her Majesty's pleasure this summer. But either way, surely Spurs will then turn to this man?

It also remains to be seen whether they sell key players; I can't see them selling VdV so quickly, for example. But like you, I have a hard time seeing how they sustain it without a massively increased stadium capacity; though unlike you, I can't envisage Arsenal collapsing. They're set up for the long term, and especially when UEFA's financial regulations take affect.

Klinsmen would be an interesting shout but I'm not sure about him as a club manager.

If Owen Coyle keeps doing what he is doing, I suspect he might be on the radar at the time.

shaun.lawson

Klinsmen would be an interesting shout but I'm not sure about him as a club manager.

If Owen Coyle keeps doing what he is doing, I suspect he might be on the radar at the time.

Coyle's definitely going places. But I think he fits Everton or Villa better than Spurs somehow. If Moyes leaves Everton at some point over the next few months, I hope they go for Coyle; but fear they'll be very interested in another brilliant young manager, currently performing miracles in Norfolk. :ninja:

tartofmidlothian

It also remains to be seen whether they sell key players; I can't see them selling VdV so quickly, for example. But like you, I have a hard time seeing how they sustain it without a massively increased stadium capacity; though unlike you, I can't envisage Arsenal collapsing. They're set up for the long term, and especially when UEFA's financial regulations take effect.

I don't mean financially. As discussed earlier in the thread, it really isn't working for Wenger right now and there are more clubs than ever knocking on the Big 4 door. If he were to leave and they chose the wrong manager - or even the right one but didn't give him enough money to build his own team - we might be looking at a rerun of The Hodgson Months at the Emirates.

All it takes is a bad season and no solid plan to recover from it to knock even a big club off course.

Gigolo-Aunt

Coyle's definitely going places. But I think he fits Everton or Villa better than Spurs somehow. If Moyes leaves Everton at some point over the next few months, I hope they go for Coyle; but fear they'll be very interested in another brilliant young manager, currently performing miracles in Norfolk. :ninja:

biggrin.gif

Then Malky Mackay steps in to the Norwich dug out.

whistling.gif

Have you seen Porto's record this season? It's ******* unbelievable:

http://www.statto.co...2010-2011/table

7 goals conceded in 22 league games. SEVEN GOALS FFS!

I know. I didn't even know who the guy was until I heard someone else banging the drum for this guy. He's got serious potential.

Sorry but Manchester United fans :vrface:

manUnitedFans3_kl.jpg

article-1094889-02CEC418000005DC-27_468x313.jpg

art.manchester.asia.gi.jpg

man-utd-green-yellow-2-006.jpg

2510791539_2016ca728b.jpg

justin-timberlake-manchester-united.jpg

:facepalm:

:bitgay:

Bet they all watch Soccer AM while drinking WKD as well. :down:

Choyle doesn't have that spark about him to be a top, top manager. Praises the opposition far too much for my liking.

tartofmidlothian

I don't, they couldn't give him the money to prove himself. Villa's a better call, or maybe Sunderland or even Newcastle if they had more benevolent management.

shaun.lawson

I don't mean financially. As discussed earlier in the thread, it really isn't working for Wenger right now and there are more clubs than ever knocking on the Big 4 door. If he were to leave and they chose the wrong manager - or even the right one but didn't give him enough money to build his own team - we might be looking at a rerun of The Hodgson Months at the Emirates.

All it takes is a bad season and no solid plan to recover from it to knock even a big club off course.

Ah, but you've omitted something in that. I still think Liverpool's troubles under Benitez and Hodgson stemmed from their horrendous troubles off the field. That's why Fergie - or even, to a lesser extent, Walter Smith - are worth their weight in gold, because both have done amazing jobs amid hellishly trying circumstances.

It is getting more and more competitive though, you're quite right. There'll be six clubs going for four places next season, and nothing can be taken for granted.

shaun.lawson

Choyle doesn't have that spark about him to be a top, top manager. Praises the opposition far too much for my liking.

Fair point - but he can afford to do that at Bolton, and previously at Burnley. His attitude might change if he moves to a more demanding club. But that said, most people thought he was mad to move to Bolton in the first place; and he's been totally and utterly vindicated.

I don't, they couldn't give him the money to prove himself. Villa's a better call, or maybe Sunderland or even Newcastle if they had more benevolent management.

But he's proven how good he is on a shoestring, making him very attractive to a club like Everton. Villa are radically cutting costs too. As for the other two: goodness knows if Newcastle will ever make a genuinely ambitious appointment under Ashley; and last I heard, Sunderland were getting into more and more financial difficulty. However high up they are this season, their wage bill and debt are absurd: hence Quinn panicking about lack of bums on seats. I think they've more or less run out of money TBH.

Why should he leave Bolton for any of the above.I think the only clubs Coyle should leave for are the so called top 6 clubs.A couple of good seasons at Bolton should put him in line for any of those clubs.Liverpool next season he would be a good outside bet.

Nothing wrong with either, it's the stereotype that's a bit gash.

Pepper's got a point, but that's hardly representative of United's true support. My point was that I could post some equally embarrassing Arsenal pictures and that would be their core support.

article-1223485-06FC5ACE000005DC-629_468x286.jpg

2776432094-10112010222259.jpg

article-1360202-0D54EA3A000005DC-687_634x328.jpg

These are more like it.

shaun.lawson

Wonder where O'Neil will go next?

Holding off for the England job maybe?

He could be. There's a scenario whereby he never gets another job - but given he seemed far less driven in his final couple of years at Villa than throughout his career prior to that, and that he's now plainly missed the boat in terms of the United or Liverpool jobs, a move to international management might well fit. If Redknapp either goes down or the FA are too nervous to touch him, MON's the obvious alternative. I can't see them going non-British this time.

Gigolo-Aunt

Fair point - but he can afford to do that at Bolton, and previously at Burnley. His attitude might change if he moves to a more demanding club. But that said, most people thought he was mad to move to Bolton in the first place; and he's been totally and utterly vindicated.

But he's proven how good he is on a shoestring, making him very attractive to a club like Everton. Villa are radically cutting costs too. As for the other two: goodness knows if Newcastle will ever make a genuinely ambitious appointment under Ashley; and last I heard, Sunderland were getting into more and more financial difficulty. However high up they are this season, their wage bill and debt are absurd: hence Quinn panicking about lack of bums on seats. I think they've more or less run out of money TBH.

Sunderland's debts or losses in the last year (cant remember which) were wiped out when they sold Bent to Villa. You are right though, there was a bit of a flap recently about how much money the club was losing. Bruce has done a good job there - but you wonder if things will be rained in a bit of the spending/wage bill.

A shed load of clubs are going to have a look at how they are run. The spending more than you bring in has to stop. Read an interview with the Wolves owner recently - it was so refreshing to hear him talk of running the club properly.

One flare ever and you can already count about 5 divs with their camera phones out trying to video it to show all their mates how "on top" it was afterwards. That's not to mention their embarrassing chants.

You're not helping yourself.

Arsenals small-time support at Chelsea.

Chelsea-v-Arsenal-Arsenal-flare_2416915.jpg

I hate John Terry but i have to take my hat off to someone who can kick the ball so hard it makes them do an explosive fart.

Guest Dr. Pepper

Nothing wrong with either, it's the stereotype that's a bit gash.

Pepper's got a point, but that's hardly representative of United's true support. My point was that I could post some equally embarrassing Arsenal pictures and that would be their core support.

article-1223485-06FC5ACE000005DC-629_468x286.jpg

2776432094-10112010222259.jpg

These are more like it.

Hearts fans are the worst :vrface::seething::vrface:

_44217235_fans.jpg

_42949125_hearts_fans_sombrero.jpg

_44680293_hearts_season_ticket_416.jpg

Although this was decent

article-1328518-0C01E452000005DC-644_634x386.jpg

shaun.lawson

Sunderland's debts or losses in the last year (cant remember which) were wiped out when they sold Bent to Villa. You are right though, there was a bit of a flap recently about how much money the club was losing. Bruce has done a good job there - but you wonder if things will be rained in a bit of the spending/wage bill.

A shed load of clubs are going to have a look at how they are run. The spending more than you bring in has to stop. Read an interview with the Wolves owner recently - it was so refreshing to hear him talk of running the club properly.

I found this a highly illuminating if lengthy read - from probably the best footie blog anywhere:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/03/sunderlands-problem-is-not-their-fans.html

Wolves are ideally run really. An owner with deep pockets to provide insurance - but who refuses to spend beyond their means. I've loved how they've played this season, and really hope they stay up.

:lol: :lol:

One flare ever. How could you possibly know that?

Face it. Most sets of fans are extremely similar.

Ji-Sung+Park+fans.jpg

These wee fellys agree.

article-1099224-02DDE6F9000005DC-905_468x390.jpg

So does he.

Manchester_United_fa_29008t.jpg

And them.

I found this a highly illuminating if lengthy read - from probably the best footie blog anywhere:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/03/sunderlands-problem-is-not-their-fans.html

Wolves are ideally run really. An owner with deep pockets to provide insurance - but who refuses to spend beyond their means. I've loved how they've played this season, and really hope they stay up.

Same here but they do not seem to carry the luck to survive.

shaun.lawson

Same here but they do not seem to carry the luck to survive.

Their run-in's not bad. I reckon they'll be OK.

Strachan summed it up, Ferguson develops good players but also machines, winning machines. Wilshere would become a much better player at Man Utd for example.

Loved Scholes cameo. 3 luscious through balls to perfection and two crunching tackles....WINNER

Strachan summed it up, Ferguson develops good players but also machines, winning machines. Wilshere would become a much better player at Man Utd for example.

Loved Scholes cameo. 3 luscious through balls to perfection and two crunching tackles....WINNER

Wenger made a team that remained unbeaten for a whole season.

It's his stubbornness in the transfer market that's the problem.

Archived